Overwatch

For all your seizure inducing goodness!

Moderator: Moderators

Schrodinger
Worth 1000 Words

Re: Overwatch

#16 Post by Schrodinger »

Envy661 wrote:Okay, I just saw this pop up on my Battle.net launcher. Someone please describe to me what kind of game it is besides just 'FPS', as I am too lazy to read.
If TF2 and League of Legends had a colorful baby.
What was it the spider said to the fly...

primalcaller ergos
Templar GrandMaster
Location: many places at once all around reality and outside it at the same time, thought i am astral projetin

#17 Post by primalcaller ergos »

Envy661 wrote:Okay, I just saw this pop up on my Battle.net launcher. Someone please describe to me what kind of game it is besides just 'FPS', as I am too lazy to read.
As far as I can tell, the best way to describe it is "A brand new franchise by blizzard that is similar to team fortress 2 by being in the "class based cartoonish funny team shooter" genre, with MOBA like abilities for each character.

So basically if you already like TF2, or heroes of the storm, you'll probably like overwatch. I reccomend trying it out.
You must train you eyes so strenuously to see the truth but when you do, a whole new world opens up for as you keen observation allows you to know more about some one than they know about themselves, this is called psychology - me

Envy661
Envy x Banned Forever
Location: Back in the Yamaku Dorms, cuddlin' it up with Emi where I belong.

#18 Post by Envy661 »

primalcaller ergos wrote:
As far as I can tell, the best way to describe it is "A brand new franchise by blizzard that is similar to team fortress 2 by being in the "class based cartoonish funny team shooter" genre, with MOBA like abilities for each character.

So basically if you already like TF2, or heroes of the storm, you'll probably like overwatch. I reccomend trying it out.
I don't like TF2 because I thought what was available for each class really sucked (I'm an Assault Rifle kind of player). I do like Heroes though.
ɔıƃol ʎʌuǝ ǝsnɐɔǝq
deviantART | Steam Account | Forum Sigs | Otaku Streamers
Message me for access to the Twokinds Unoffical Official Skype Chat!

primalcaller ergos
Templar GrandMaster
Location: many places at once all around reality and outside it at the same time, thought i am astral projetin

#19 Post by primalcaller ergos »

Envy661 wrote:
primalcaller ergos wrote:

I don't like TF2 because I thought what was available for each class really sucked (I'm an Assault Rifle kind of player). I do like Heroes though.
I have Good News for you! Overwatch has a character you would like!
You must train you eyes so strenuously to see the truth but when you do, a whole new world opens up for as you keen observation allows you to know more about some one than they know about themselves, this is called psychology - me

Bobcrash
Traveler

#20 Post by Bobcrash »

In my opinion this game is like a more colorful dirty bomb, and has a bit more variety in characters, while not going too crazy. Also it has cool abilities for each character, making them each feel fresh and new. And it doesn't seem the characters are TOO restricted by there function, like the guy who can turn into a turret can probably push instead of just staying and defending.
I dunno.. apples? :squirrel:

Bobcrash
Traveler

#21 Post by Bobcrash »

But the game is still extremely like tf2, and the only reason I really said it was like dirty bomb is because of the abilities and the levels, and also a bit of the gun play. But i wouldn't deny that it is blizzards try at making TF2.

midnightblink
Council Member

#22 Post by midnightblink »

Bobcrash wrote:But the game is still extremely like tf2, and the only reason I really said it was like dirty bomb is because of the abilities and the levels, and also a bit of the gun play. But i wouldn't deny that it is blizzards try at making TF2.
But it's a cool combination of TF2 and MOBA that, to me, makes it original enough for it not to be a complete ripoff
Primum Non Nocere

Bobcrash
Traveler

#23 Post by Bobcrash »

midnightblink wrote: But it's a cool combination of TF2 and MOBA that, to me, makes it original enough for it not to be a complete ripoff
Oh I completely agree, and it's a combination of many idea and games that i can't wait to play. It has just the right amount ( if not, more) new things to make it fresh and innovative, or least that's what I hope.

Also, it uses parts of the titan engine ( The mmorpg that was supposed to revitalize the mmorpg genre, but was canceled), and the titan engine has been in development for SO MANY YEARS! This will hopefully make everything smoother and more developed (As they are using parts of a well developed engine).

Bobcrash
Traveler

#24 Post by Bobcrash »

Did any of you guys get in the closed beta?

Envy661
Envy x Banned Forever

#25 Post by Envy661 »

Totalbiscut:
[video]https://youtu.be/kP8PtDxxHpU[/video]
ɔıƃol ʎʌuǝ ǝsnɐɔǝq

midnightblink
Council Member

#26 Post by midnightblink »

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U130wnpi-C0[/video]
Damn Blizzard, you better make a full CGI movie of this game.

Honestly though, everything about this animation, from the animation, to the art style, to the development of their characters, is all really great
Primum Non Nocere

Nuff
The One With the Ears

#27 Post by Nuff »

I'm in the closed beta and will be streaming this tomorrow if anyone is interested. I can post again with the link if so :3

Razmoudah
Merchant

#28 Post by Razmoudah »

Technically I got an invite to part of the closed beta as well. I played for a couple of matches, but I don't have the right skill set for this type of game.
Hmmm......about what I expected when almost half of the questions I'd want to select a few of the answers not a specific one.

ImageImageImageImage

midnightblink
Council Member

#29 Post by midnightblink »

I signed up for the beta over a year ago when it was first announced and I didn't get in (;_;) Even still, I could probably name every ability for every character x3
Primum Non Nocere

Envy661
Envy x Banned Forever

#30 Post by Envy661 »

Both Overwatch and Battleborne, I've noticed, have very large paywalls. IMHO, and I'm not saying I can't be wrong here, but I don't think either game will last in any kind of long term manner unless they go a Free 2 Play route. It's just because of the kind of game it is. It kind of requires easy access for a lot of people to try it out. These paywalls are going to make this game go the route of any moba that required a payment to purchase it ever. Dota 2 doesn't count because of the sheer number of free copies they literally gave away. I myself had about 10 of them for a time.

I'm also going to say, this opinion doesn't come from any dislike of either game. I'm honestly extremely neutral to them. But as a business model, this is about as viable long-term as... well... a paid moba.

While Overwatch is extremely popular due to the pedigree of a Blizzard game behind it, this is still an almost brand new genre, and there are a LOT of people who would be on the fence about this, but wouldn't even be able to try it for free, so they wouldn't pick it up at all. Even those who find it interesting, but aren't fangasming over it would still be apprehensive about that pricetag for a multiplayer-exclusive title that, without investing much time looking into it, on it's surface (I need to emphasize these two points for those silly douchebags who would use this statement to instigate a flame war with me for holding any kind of non-positive opinion of the game) looks like a copy of TF2.

It would not take long for the community for both games to dwindle. I would give it 12 months, and I can almost guarantee at least one, if not both of these games will be Free 2 Play.

I'm taking bets if you think I'm wrong.
ɔıƃol ʎʌuǝ ǝsnɐɔǝq