Fallout 4

For all your seizure inducing goodness!

Moderator: Moderators

tony1695
Weaver of Tales

Re: Fallout 4

#61 Post by tony1695 »

Jonesy wrote:or not the original Mechanist and has just taken up the identity.
If you listen to the Silver Shroud radio plays in Goodneighbor, it turns out that the Mechanist was one of his villains. And that this Mechanist, rather than the well-intentioned extremist of Canterbury Commons, wanted to wipe out humanity and replace them with robots. From my guess, it looks like we'll be taking the role of the Silver Shroud, in costume or not, as we stop this Mechanist from achieving that same goal.
Gentlementlemen
How do you get to the Rakdos Guild Hall?
You take the psycho path.
Weed la Weed Warning: WEIRD

Schrodinger
Worth 1000 Words

#62 Post by Schrodinger »

tony1695 wrote:
Jonesy wrote:or not the original Mechanist and has just taken up the identity.
If you listen to the Silver Shroud radio plays in Goodneighbor, it turns out that the Mechanist was one of his villains. And that this Mechanist, rather than the well-intentioned extremist of Canterbury Commons, wanted to wipe out humanity and replace them with robots. From my guess, it looks like we'll be taking the role of the Silver Shroud, in costume or not, as we stop this Mechanist from achieving that same goal.
This was the plot of a Batman: The animated series episode. I'm okay with this.
What was it the spider said to the fly...

tony1695
Weaver of Tales

#63 Post by tony1695 »

So, I've finished the Automatron DLC, and it would not be a mistake at all to claim that the story was tacked on to justify the new robot companion creation and customisation. But they also went in depth with several aspects of the lore of Fallout, in particular the Robobrains themselves and the twisted experiments that birthed them, and it also manages to explain why they're only seen in the DLC and not the main game.
Spoiler!
Also, the Mechanist is just a well-intentioned extremist who didn't even know that the robots under her command were killing innocents because the Robobrains interpreted orders in the worst way possible. Kinda hard not to feel bad for her, and yeah, seeing a woman under the helmet was a bit of a surprise, given the use of a voice modulator to appear male.
Gentlementlemen

Envy661
Envy x Banned Forever
Location: Back in the Yamaku Dorms, cuddlin' it up with Emi where I belong.

#64 Post by Envy661 »

Cleared Automatron myself. Was pretty decent. Short, lots of robot customization, but at the same time it feels like not enough? If that makes sense.

Regardless, I liked it. Made a companion. It's a Mr. Handy. Named him A.T.L.A.S. Looks cool as [censored] because he doesn't look like an actual Mr. Handy (used hydraulic parts) He talks in beeps. Better than any other companion in the game (except Curie).
ɔıƃol ʎʌuǝ ǝsnɐɔǝq
deviantART | Steam Account | Forum Sigs | Otaku Streamers
Message me for access to the Twokinds Unoffical Official Skype Chat!

tony1695
Weaver of Tales

#65 Post by tony1695 »

I've noticed people haven't been talking about the Survival Mode public beta that is available to Steam users.

I love the changes. The limitations to carry weight, the reduced HPs on everything (including yourself), the side-effects of healing items, hunger, thirst, exhaustion, illnesses. Makes you think. Combat is a lot quicker now, because all it takes on most enemies is a single solid shot. Of course, the same applies to you, so you need to use the cover mechanic if you want to last. And healing is much more challenging, because that [censored] now takes a lot of time, so you can't Stimpack-spam your way through a hard fight.

My one complaint is the requirement of beds to save, but that's only because I've been caught out by a random frag grenade or a lucky shot that just ripped me apart when I wasn't expecting it too many times.
Gentlementlemen

Lief
No hugs, I asplode.
Fav. Twokinds Character: Raine

#66 Post by Lief »

I'll probably give Survival Mode a try once there's a mod that allows saving anywhere, anytime, but everything else is still the same.

Because while I can understand why some people might like it that way, I enjoy the ability to just hit a key and save anytime I like.

Although honestly I'm waiting for the update to hit proper before I get back into the game. Since they're releasing the Creation Kit (Finally!) and changing how mods work a bit with it.

tony1695
Weaver of Tales

#67 Post by tony1695 »

Lief wrote:I'll probably give Survival Mode a try once there's a mod that allows saving anywhere, anytime, but everything else is still the same.

Because while I can understand why some people might like it that way, I enjoy the ability to just hit a key and save anytime I like.

Although honestly I'm waiting for the update to hit proper before I get back into the game. Since they're releasing the Creation Kit (Finally!) and changing how mods work a bit with it.
I do remember that New Vegas has a sleeping bag you could carry in one of the DLC. That's probably the best way to go about adding saving anywhere in Survival Mode.
Gentlementlemen

Jonesy
Templar Master
Fav. Twokinds Character: Natani

#68 Post by Jonesy »

tony1695 wrote:I've noticed people haven't been talking about the Survival Mode public beta that is available to Steam users.

I love the changes. The limitations to carry weight, the reduced HPs on everything (including yourself), the side-effects of healing items, hunger, thirst, exhaustion, illnesses. Makes you think. Combat is a lot quicker now, because all it takes on most enemies is a single solid shot. Of course, the same applies to you, so you need to use the cover mechanic if you want to last. And healing is much more challenging, because that [censored] now takes a lot of time, so you can't Stimpack-spam your way through a hard fight.

My one complaint is the requirement of beds to save, but that's only because I've been caught out by a random frag grenade or a lucky shot that just ripped me apart when I wasn't expecting it too many times.
Yeah, the saving thing is a deal breaker. I'm normally not a fan of survival modes, and probably won't use it on my main character. But I'm tempted to make a new character and focus almost exclusively on a homesteader, to see how well the settlement-building can sustain the survival elements. I don't know how long it'll be before I go back to playing Sims: Post-Apocalyptic on my main character like I have been lately, but it's worth a try.

Jonesy
Templar Master

#69 Post by Jonesy »

Fawkes wrote:[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pF2Qw9BI6Rg[/video]

More Bethesda E3 reveal stuff is happening right now but we have some more Fallout content to look forward to in the coming months. I'm excited for Nuka World since it looks like there's a roving trader like outfit in there, my favorite clothing piece that's been missing in Fallout 4.

EDIT:
Well they're interviewing Todd Howard right now and he just said Nuka World will be the last piece of DLC for Fallout 4. That's disappointing, I was really looking forward to a couple of more real story driven DLC from Bethesda, not just these building workshop add ons. T-T
Yeah, I'm pretty disappointed as well. Wasteland Contraptions looks meh, even moreso than Wasteland Workshop. Vault-Tec Workshop looks alright, at least, and is probably the one I'm most excited for at this point. But Nuka World seems like a pretty big downer for the final DLC on the surface of things. I was hoping in vain it would be a Far Harbor-esque adventure in an irradiated theme park teeming with ghoul clowns and malfunctioning animatronics on the search for some secret buried beneath the park by Dalt Wisney. But no. Apparently we just build a theme park. Because that's totally a priority in a world where the standard of living is still pretty much subsistence-level for your average settler. I've heard elsewhere that it is still something a big story-driven DLC like Far Harbor, but I'm not convinced. I mean, I can see it happening, but not reaching the same high point as Far Harbor.

Still, at least it means they can move onto Elder Scrolls 6. We'll just have to rely on mods for future Far Harbor-esque experiences. Hell, I'm pretty temped to try my hand at modding the game at some point. I'd love to make a mod detailing the Abbey of the Road mentioned in Point Lookout, since it's also said to be west of the Commonwealth. Said mod would expand upon the Lovecraftian themes hinted at in Fallout 3 and 4, especially the fact that...
Spoiler!
... there may or may not be an eldritch abomination slumbering beneath the northern Commonwealth. Having it come to life and finding a way to defeat it would form the main quest of the mod.

Jonesy
Templar Master

#70 Post by Jonesy »

Fawkes wrote:Well what I heard in the interview Nuka World isn't a workshop add on, it's a new area to explore just like Far Harbor. It's a pre war amusement park that has been taken over by raiders... and that's all they told us. We'll probably get some workshop items from that DLC but other than that we don't know anything more than that. Though they said that this was them going out with a big bang as far as DLC, though I feel that it's a bit of a waste to cut out so early since they spent the last 7ish years working on this game only to release all of this in less than a year. When it comes to Bethesda DLC, this isn't what I was expecting to get out of all this, 4 workshop add ons and 2.5 story driven DLCs seems like we got short changed here.
I did read some things on Reddit, and re-watched the trailer. Nuka World is definitely under the control of raiders, given that there are bodies on spikes, while the guards look and act the part. There are large cages off to the side, indicating a possible slaving setup much like Paradise Falls. Which is cool, since I enjoy massacring slavers. And considering that the details a significantly vaguer than the other two DLCs, it isn't being presented as a Workshop DLC. Hell, someone said it gave them a New Vegas vibe, which makes me wonder if in the end we'll be turning the park into a massive, stable settlement much like New Vegas or Diamond City. I can actually see that being a pretty good note to end on, given the game's overall theme of rebuilding.

But yeah, I would've liked to see at least three Far Harbor-sized DLCs. They're already doing much better than with Skyrim's DLC, and I respect the presence of the Workshop DLCs considering the popularity of the settlement building mechanic. But Bethesda DLC is at its best when it's adding new areas to explore with new stories and new equipment to work towards. I thought Automatron was decent in terms of size and content, but Wasteland Workshop was very underwhelming. Contraptions will almost certainly go the same way, but the Vault DLC is looking closer to Automatron at this point.

But as I said, my main concern is that Nuka World won't compare well to Far Harbor, which is a big deal for the final DLC. Even Skyrim managed to pull it off fairly well with Dragonborn. So while I'm a feeling little more optimistic now, I'll have to see more from Bethesda on what the DLC is about before I can truly get behind it.

Envy661
Envy x Banned Forever
Location: Back in the Yamaku Dorms, cuddlin' it up with Emi where I belong.

#71 Post by Envy661 »

Fawkes wrote:[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pF2Qw9BI6Rg[/video]

More Bethesda E3 reveal stuff is happening right now but we have some more Fallout content to look forward to in the coming months. I'm excited for Nuka World since it looks like there's a roving trader like outfit in there, my favorite clothing piece that's been missing in Fallout 4.

EDIT:
Well they're interviewing Todd Howard right now and he just said Nuka World will be the last piece of DLC for Fallout 4. That's disappointing, I was really looking forward to a couple of more real story driven DLC from Bethesda, not just these building workshop add ons. T-T

I am so disappointed they decided to do a remastered version of a game that's not even 10 years old yet.
Meanwhile Oblivion was one of the most popular games Bethesda ever put out and it wasn't even considered for a remaster.

I am also disappointed by their limited number of story-driven DLCs for Fallout 4.
We can only hope Obsidian is making a new Fallout title like New Vegas. I will play the absolute [censored] out of that. Over 500 hours invested between New Vegas on xbox 360 and PC. Less than half that for Fallout 3 and 4 combined. For what I feel are obvious reasons.
ɔıƃol ʎʌuǝ ǝsnɐɔǝq
deviantART | Steam Account | Forum Sigs | Otaku Streamers
Message me for access to the Twokinds Unoffical Official Skype Chat!

MUDPUNISHER
Grand Templar

#72 Post by MUDPUNISHER »

Ok, so I bought fallout on sale, because I has no muny and needed a sale, but I have a problem. The startup menu appears and I can click start, but it goes no further than that, much like what used to happen with my copy of men of war assault squad, and I cant figure out why its doing this, any ideas?
Nuclear Cowboy
Gotta build them flat decks.
Manchild with to much disposable income and not enough sense to spend it well

TinyVoices
Templar Inner Circle
Fav. Twokinds Character: Kat

#73 Post by TinyVoices »

MUDPUNISHER wrote:Ok, so I bought fallout on sale, because I has no muny and needed a sale, but I have a problem. The startup menu appears and I can click start, but it goes no further than that, much like what used to happen with my copy of men of war assault squad, and I cant figure out why its doing this, any ideas?
If nothing else, try uninstalling and reinstalling.

MUDPUNISHER
Grand Templar

#74 Post by MUDPUNISHER »

TinyVoices wrote:
MUDPUNISHER wrote:Ok, so I bought fallout on sale, because I has no muny and needed a sale, but I have a problem. The startup menu appears and I can click start, but it goes no further than that, much like what used to happen with my copy of men of war assault squad, and I cant figure out why its doing this, any ideas?
I guess I will try that this weekend.
Nuclear Cowboy
Gotta build them flat decks.
Manchild with to much disposable income and not enough sense to spend it well

Nuff
The One With the Ears

#75 Post by Nuff »

MUDPUNISHER wrote:
TinyVoices wrote:
I guess I will try that this weekend.
If you're planning on playing it with keyboard & mouse make sure your game pad isn't plugged in as that can cause it it be stuck in main menu