Fallout 4

For all your seizure inducing goodness!

Moderator: Moderators

Jonesy
Templar Master
Fav. Twokinds Character: Natani

Re: Fallout 4

#76 Post by Jonesy »

MUDPUNISHER wrote:Ok, so I bought fallout on sale, because I has no muny and needed a sale, but I have a problem. The startup menu appears and I can click start, but it goes no further than that, much like what used to happen with my copy of men of war assault squad, and I cant figure out why its doing this, any ideas?
I had a similar problem yesterday, and it turned out to be the anti-virus (Avast!'s file shield to be precise) blocking it. Disabling that, launching the game, then re-enabling worked fine. Even solved an issue with lacking permissions to run The Dark Mod's editor.

Jonesy
Templar Master

#77 Post by Jonesy »

In case anyone missed it, the Nuka World trailer is out. The release date has also been announced as August 30.

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DIneiOpuS2M[/video]

I reckon it's looking pretty good. I'm definitely more hopeful about it than I was after the initial reveal. There's a good level of thematic variety between the different zones, as well as plenty of new equipment to try and enemies to fight. There's even a spooky mansion, which I hope belongs to an evil Walt Disney figure.

But my main concern right now is how much content is tied to the raider factions, mainly in terms of quests and this new settlement-raiding mechanic. Being a goody two-shoes Minuteman means I'll be slaughtering the raiders mercilessly, so I doubt I'll be getting much out of them. Unless I can somehow sabotage them from the inside, which would be neat.

Jonesy
Templar Master

#78 Post by Jonesy »

Gabriel of creosha wrote:
Jonesy wrote: But my main concern right now is how much content is tied to the raider factions, mainly in terms of quests and this new settlement-raiding mechanic. Being a goody two-shoes Minuteman means I'll be slaughtering the raiders mercilessly, so I doubt I'll be getting much out of them. Unless I can somehow sabotage them from the inside, which would be neat.
I'm not sure how they're going to incentivize me into raiding my settlements; Most of which are fortresses at this point, with the actual front entrance to santuary hills having about 30 rock turrets facing the bridge, with twin spotlights to make them all more accurate. I mean, will raiding them just be testing your defenses? Will you actually be able to betray your settlements, or have to do so one by one? I want to know what raiding my piles of already gotten gold is gonna get me.

Although hype about the actual themepark that's coming in. With games! Something I've wanted in more modern titles since ever. I want to play minigames that reward me with fun, as well as a prize. I can't think of any that have since the LoZ on the N64. As well, the new revolver looks like it's going to be a beast. I can't wait to see what a fully upgraded western .44 looks like. And following how the fallout DLC so far has worked, no doubt a unique version will be available as a quest related item, or as a hidden weapon.
Judging by the trailer, you do actually take them over instead of just testing defenses. And you don't even do it to neutral settlements, either; you have to build and place the signal flag. So, there must be some sort of incentive to get you to betray your settlers. Whatever it is, it won't be enough for me.

But yeah, I'm curious to see how the minigames go. Apparently you do get tickets for completing them, so I they'll almost certainly be redeemable for prizes just like the book return tokens.

Lief
No hugs, I asplode.
Fav. Twokinds Character: Raine

#79 Post by Lief »

Jonesy wrote:So, there must be some sort of incentive to get you to betray your settlers. Whatever it is, it won't be enough for me.
If it's something I can't live without, well, that's what console commands are for, right?

foxlord
Elder foxy

#80 Post by foxlord »

Lief wrote:
Jonesy wrote:So, there must be some sort of incentive to get you to betray your settlers. Whatever it is, it won't be enough for me.
If it's something I can't live without, well, that's what console commands are for, right?
Indeed!
The elder has spoken! Ex-Brony Slayer.

Take two old white men, fuse them together, and they become a black ginger with an obsession for power. - Invidian

Jonesy
Templar Master

#81 Post by Jonesy »

Well, I've finished practically all of Nuka World. Overall I enjoyed it, but I felt it really pales next to Far Harbor. Especially when the raider questline is rather well fleshed-out from what I hear, but the 'good guy' route is barebones. Get a quest to kill the raider bosses, and that's about it. Hell, even the dialogue options were a bit sad, since I consistently made it clear that I did not approve of the raiders and trusted them about as far as I could throw them, and yet still managed to get them to accept me. I even got max approval from Gage, a new companion who doubles as right-hand man.

I worked with the raiders for a little while, to see if I could tear them apart from within. As I slowly reclaimed the park, I handed control over to the Operators (the sanest of the three gangs, since they're driven more by caps than violence or strength). The other gangs weren't impressed, but none of them rebelled. Apparently they won't until a point in the story, which happens after you begin invading the Commonwealth. Since this obviously pisses off the Minutemen, I didn't get that far. With the park secured, I began the massacre as soon as I got Gage's approval. Gotta get that perk, after all.

I must admit, despite the whole 'good guy' route feeling very bare-bones, I love how much it feels like a 'mook horror show'. Upon beginning the attack, the DJ for the raiders' radio show almost immediately puts out a warning saying I've turned on them, before announcing that the show is going off the air so he can flee for his life. I soon find myself up against Gage, and it felt very much like I betrayed him. His last words were "Not... like...". In fact, there was a named NPC working for the Operatives who, despite doing despicable drug experiments on innocent people, had a pretty sad "No... no... no..." for theirs. Mind you, practically every other named NPC besides them had it coming, especially upon finding their journals or personal documents.

The ending to the quest was heartwarming, not only since you free the slaves but can also restore power to the park. This lets you access some new areas to get at the goodies within (including collectibles), as well as the only settlement in the DLC. Even if it is just another Red Rocket, it's still something. I'm going to try and build some sort of above-ground Vault, since it's the first clean slate I've had since Vault-Tec Workshop came out. Even if that doesn't last long, I enjoyed my time in Nuka World. The various themed areas are interesting and distinct, while not overstaying their welcome. There's a few non-raider side quests, a couple in particular standing out. There's new items, even if a few more would have been nice. And if nothing else, this being the final DLC means I can look into using mods (hopefully) without fear of them being made incompatible by new official content.