TwoKinds D&D Ideas

For all your seizure inducing goodness!

Moderator: Moderators

The Rookie
Grand Templar

Re: TwoKinds D&D Ideas

#31 Post by The Rookie »

drgark wrote:Wolves: +2 strength (I remember one scene where Keith gets squeezed by Natani noting her "freakish wolf strength") I don't know what else to add.
Foxes: I'm going to use the ability scores from the Pathfinder Kitsune, so +2 dexterity, +2 charisma, -2 strength
Dogs: I'm going to use the ability scores from the Pathfinder Dog Hengeyokai, so +2 strength, +2 wisdom, -2 dexterity
Tigers: I'm going to use the ability scores from the Pathfinder Catfolk, so +2 dexterity, +2 charisma, -2 wisdom
As much as I like these trade offs, from memory the average keidran is physically weaker than a human, with the exception of the wolves and possibly dogs, which appear to be stronger. Maybe give the Fox and Feline keidran an additional -1 strength +1 Wisdom +1 dexterity as a starting point, while Canines (Without foxes) receive additional strength at expense of dexterity. However, I'm really just grasping at the basics here, so I'm not sure how big an impact a single point has.
Nothing ventured, nothing gained.

drgark

#32 Post by drgark »

The Rookie wrote:
drgark wrote:Wolves: +2 strength (I remember one scene where Keith gets squeezed by Natani noting her "freakish wolf strength") I don't know what else to add.
Foxes: I'm going to use the ability scores from the Pathfinder Kitsune, so +2 dexterity, +2 charisma, -2 strength
Dogs: I'm going to use the ability scores from the Pathfinder Dog Hengeyokai, so +2 strength, +2 wisdom, -2 dexterity
Tigers: I'm going to use the ability scores from the Pathfinder Catfolk, so +2 dexterity, +2 charisma, -2 wisdom
As much as I like these trade offs, from memory the average keidran is physically weaker than a human, with the exception of the wolves and possibly dogs, which appear to be stronger. Maybe give the Fox and Feline keidran an additional -1 strength +1 Wisdom +1 dexterity as a starting point, while Canines (Without foxes) receive additional strength at expense of dexterity. However, I'm really just grasping at the basics here, so I'm not sure how big an impact a single point has.
Every other ability score point = +1 modifier, 10 being average. So a guy with 12 strength gets a +1 strength modifier, meaning +1 to hit, to damage, to climb checks, and to other strength related things. Never in a d20 system do they give odd number ability score bonuses from race, and its because there are times when a simple +1 to an ability score doesn't make a difference. I was thinking giving doggies +2 wisdom, probably for wolves too, but i don't know why I think thats a good idea. Also, where in the comic did they say that keidran were typically weaker than humans? Also, to keep track of all this crap, I'm going to make a google doc where people can make suggestions, a lot easier to manage:

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1oip ... sp=sharing

The Rookie
Grand Templar

#33 Post by The Rookie »

drgark wrote:Every other ability score point = +1 modifier, 10 being average. So a guy with 12 strength gets a +1 strength modifier, meaning +1 to hit, to damage, to climb checks, and to other strength related things. Never in a d20 system do they give odd number ability score bonuses from race, and its because there are times when a simple +1 to an ability score doesn't make a difference. I was thinking giving doggies +2 wisdom, probably for wolves too, but i don't know why I think thats a good idea.
Fair enough then. Maybe instead of wisdom for dogs you could use intelligence. Given that Keidran have short lives, and thus learn faster than a normal person, I feel intelligence may be more appropriate. Plus it'll help separate the dogs and wolves a little.
drgark wrote:Also, where in the comic did they say that keidran were typically weaker than humans?
I'm not sure if it was ever mentioned in the comic exactly, but it's definitely been mentioned here on the forums. I'm sure Avwolf will have the exact quote on file somewhere. From memory the quote mentioned weaker upper body strength, however they possess stronger legs for jumping and running.
Nothing ventured, nothing gained.

That_Violin_Guy

#34 Post by That_Violin_Guy »

Update on the campaign!

Thank you for all of the great help. The party has been through a dungeon already, and they like the world. Still working on keeping then on track with the plot, but the NPC works well (who is a Tiger Keidran). I am hoping to have at least one more player, who can pick up a Keidran race. We have encountered a group of wolves that were worshiping one of our characters (a giant) as a substitute for their moon dragon goddess. Now we are traversing an ancient water system that was converted into a dungeon.

Schrodinger
Worth 1000 Words

#35 Post by Schrodinger »

Reviving this old thread with some new information. I spoke to Tom a while ago and dragged a stat line and some abilities for wolves out of him: +2 Strength, -2 Constitution, +2 Wisdom, Lowlight vision, the Scent ability, claw attacks, and skill bonuses in acrobatics and survival. The minus in Con is what Tom intended when he spoke of wolves being weaker than Humans; not that they lack physical strength, but stamina.

Thanks to Idward for helping compile the statblock for me.
What was it the spider said to the fly...

ryantokage

#36 Post by ryantokage »

https://www.dropbox.com/s/fyyypmkv1paov ... n.pdf?dl=0

For those interested I made the Basitins a playable race for 5e D&D if you guys have any critiques or want to tell me how I did feel free ^^ :Lynn: :keith:

Dynaphus

#37 Post by Dynaphus »

While I tend to be hesitant in using comic worlds and the like within D&D, I can see this fitting with a few of the older settings kicking about... Of course anything theoretically fits with Planescape, but Dark Sun could also work (Who's to say there weren't survivors from the SKs purges).

At the very least, reading through the thread's given my ideas if, as unlikely as it is, someone wants me to both run 'em a game of Planescape, while simultaneously wanting to play a Keidran. Anyway, apologies for my bit of rambling.

Schrodinger
Worth 1000 Words

#38 Post by Schrodinger »

ryantokage wrote:https://www.dropbox.com/s/fyyypmkv1paov ... n.pdf?dl=0

For those interested I made the Basitins a playable race for 5e D&D if you guys have any critiques or want to tell me how I did feel free ^^ :Lynn: :keith:
Very good save for some minor errors; "...often thought to be rabbits because... (too informal), it's spelled 'decency', "No one knows why but they're grateful...", 'strictest' not 'stricted', "they're or they are restricted..., basitin were described as having a lifespan of about 80 years, and Keith himself is 5'5" and is still somewhat short among his people. Mechanically it seems fine and just proves I was right when I said that Twokinds translates better to a softer rules set.
What was it the spider said to the fly...

ryantokage

#39 Post by ryantokage »

Schrodinger wrote:
ryantokage wrote:https://www.dropbox.com/s/fyyypmkv1paov ... n.pdf?dl=0

Very good save for some minor errors; "...often thought to be rabbits because... (too informal), it's spelled 'decency', "No one knows why but they're grateful...", 'strictest' not 'stricted', "they're or they are restricted..., basitin were described as having a lifespan of about 80 years, and Keith himself is 5'5" and is still somewhat short among his people. Mechanically it seems fine and just proves I was right when I said that Twokinds translates better to a softer rules set.

Thanks haha I'm not so great with grammar as I was struggling trying to remember all I knew about them without copy pasting from someone elses posts on a wiki or something I was mainly trying to see if you all agree their stats are alright ^^

ryantokage

#40 Post by ryantokage »

Would you guys like me to do one for Keidrans in 5e? ^^

Mattgames
Fav. Twokinds Character: Trace and Flora

#41 Post by Mattgames »

I am so interested in this. Let's make it

:trace: :flora: :keith: :Lynn: :Maddie: :natani: :zen: :kathrin: :eric: :laura: :evals: :mike: :karen: :maren: :redhair: :sythe: :raine: :adira: :maeve: :nora: :reni: :heart: :potatoes: :squirrel:

Mattgames
Fav. Twokinds Character: Trace and Flora

#42 Post by Mattgames »

Try allowing the character you created to go on adventures with the Twokinds characters. :trace: :flora: :keith: :Maddie: :natani: :zen: :kathrin: :eric: :evals: :mike: :karen: :maren: :redhair: :sythe: :raine: :nora: :reni: :squirrel:

Lief
No hugs, I asplode.
Fav. Twokinds Character: Raine

#43 Post by Lief »

Mattgames wrote: Tue Oct 18, 2022 4:40 am Try allowing the character you created to go on adventures with the Twokinds characters. :trace: :flora: :keith: :Maddie: :natani: :zen: :kathrin: :eric: :evals: :mike: :karen: :maren: :redhair: :sythe: :raine: :nora: :reni: :squirrel:
Rules 10 and 15. Please don't double-post, or revive such long-dead topics. Thread locked.