Top 10 Favorite Video Game Characters?

For all your seizure inducing goodness!

Moderator: Moderators

cj3003
Apprentice

Top 10 Favorite Video Game Characters?

#1 Post by cj3003 »

Well, I saw and responded to a post for people's top 5 favorite games, so I thought, "Hey! It would be fun to see people's favorite video game characters!" So, here we are! Rules are simple: Top 10 (or 5 if you really wanted, I suppose) characters, what game they are from, and (if you want) why they are your favorite video game characters. Also, one per series is preferred.

My list:

10. Captain John Price (COD: Modern Warfare 1-3) - Do I hate Call of Duty? Yeah. Do I like Modern Warfare's story though? Yeah. Is Price a badass? Hell yes.

9. Alyx (Half-Life 2) - I like Alyx mostly because she made Half-Life 2 NOT terrifying when she accompanied me. I found myself really hating it in I got to parts in Episode 1 and 2 were we got separated. Also, you and Alyx really go through a lot together in the games, so I think that's why she's on this list.

8. Anduin Wyrnn (Hearthstone) - I like Anduin in Hearthstone, because although unintentional, he just seems REALLY sassy to me. I even named my Priest deck "The Sassy Priest Deck". It freaking destroys, by the way.

7. Rhys (Tales from Borderlands) - Rhys is a very charming character in a really charming game. Rhys is clumsy, a bit sassy, and an over all relatable character. He is a hilarious person, and has funny and interesting dialog, as well as an interesting background and motives. Also, Handsome Jack pesters him, and that is just great :)

6. Wilson (Don't Starve) - Ah, Wilson. He is a (slightly mad) scientist who got wrapped up in the wrong crowd. Maxwell convinced him he could grant him eternal knowledge, when the knowledge he gave him only was enough to ensnare Wilson into Maxwell's little world where he could play god. I just freaking love Wilson :D

5. Vito Scaletta (Mafia II) - All you need is Vito's face.
Spoiler!
4. The Scout (Team Fortress 2) - The Scout has the most personality in TF2, I think. He's a fun class, and just a general awesome character. Oh, and I have the most hours played on him :P

3. Jason Brody (Far Cry 3) - God, I really like Jason Brody, and here's why. He started of as a sort of wimp (relatable), and the Rook Islands slowly started to harden him and make him into a man. Jason starts of wanting to find his friends, but slowly starts to become like the native Rakyat Warriors. The real question is: which side do you choose?

2. Garrus Vakarian (Mass Effect series) - Can this wait for a bit? I'm in the middle of some calibrations...

1. Wheatley (Portal 2) - I love Wheatley oh so much. He is yet another charming character who is your companion until SPOILER ALERT!!!
Spoiler!
He betrays you.
I've played Portal 2 through many times, and Wheatley's amazingly great and hilarious dialog never seizes to make me happy.
I am the silliest noodle.

justanUltramarine
Apprentice

Re: Top 10 Favorite Video Game Characters?

#2 Post by justanUltramarine »

lets see... umh tricky one

10: GLaDOS i always loved the idea of mad ais , give it a sens of humor and i'm in

9:Masterchief , power armor.... nuff said

8:Dust

7: krystal from starfox....... do we really need an explanation here ?

6:Captain Titus from space marine

5:Death (darksiders 2)

4:Jack (borderlands 2)

3:Sargas Ruk (warframe) he's probably the most likeable boss in the game

2:Khan from metro 2033 and last light

1: not really a character but more like.... a group , the delta squad from Star Wars Republic commando , all 4 of them are so fun to watch/hear.

InceptionBwaaa
Grand Templar

#3 Post by InceptionBwaaa »

Vito's face is the best face in gaming.

Also, here are my 10 favorite characters.

10) Cortana (Halo series) - For me, Cortana seems like the kind of person to not want to be in control. Throughout the series, she subtly says, "I don't want to be an AI." Especially in Halo 4, where
Spoiler!
she's 'dying'

9) Malon (The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time) - Malon x Link has got to be my #1 ship(besides Zelda x Palutena :wink: ), and I just love to see Malon's face. She's so beautiful, especially in OoT 3D.

8) Sig (Jak 2 & 3) - Sig. What to say about him. Well, he's a wastelander, a hunter of many giant beasts, and an overall badass. He wears the chitinous shells of these things as defense against them, for crying out loud! Not to mention his Peacemaker, the biggest stun gun around(which later has an upgrade which launches mini nukes).

7) Fi (The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword) - I like Fi because she doesn't have an attitude. As much as the sassy characters are cool, it's nice to have a serious character that sometimes breaks the fourth wall by telling you that your Wiimote is almost dead.

6) Little Mac (Punchout) - I like Mac just because of how amazingly quick he is. Have you played Punchout? Or even Sm4sh. He's powerful to the point of being superhuman, and when he gets a Smash Ball, he turns into a monster that could rival the Hulk.

5) Link (The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess, specifically) - The reason I favor this Link over all other Links is because he is probably the strongest, most powerful of the multi-incarnation. That, and the story of the game itself. I just love this Link.

4) Clank (Ratchet & Clank series) - Clank is a funny little robot. He often makes clever wisecracks, mostly at the expense of his Lombax friend. When the world is threatened, he's there. When the universe is threatened, he's there. When time itself threatens to be ripped apart, he is there. Of course, he couldn't do it without his companion, so...

3) Ratchet (also Ratchet & Clank) - Ratchet is an engineer. He solves problems. Mostly with guns, but sometimes, with a little bit of persuasion, and even a little romance. He's cool. He's funny. He's a hero. Ratchet is awesome.

2) Jak (Jak & Daxter series) - Jak is the ultimate hero. He's also got a bit of a cliche story. But it's what makes him so great. Jak began his adventures as a young man in a primitive village in a primitive world, and he slowly became a powerful warrior. Then, after finding a gate through time itself, he is launched into the future. There, Jak is captured and subjected to two years of dark energy experiments, which happen to cure his muteness. After defeating the king of the deadliest race of beings on their world, and sending his younger self back in time, he is sentenced to life in the wasteland. Later, he is gifted great force: light eco. It balances him out, equal in the forces of light and dark. Even later, he takes on a robotic enemy piloting a giant planet builder. So, yeah. Jak is pretty [censored] cool.

Before we get to #1, I have some honorable mentions.

Kratos (God of War series) - Kratos is fire. Kratos is death. Kratos successfully killed all of the Greek pantheon(except for Aphrodite.. for reasons.). I love Kratos for just how [censored] brutal he is, and his story is both tragic and cool as [censored].

Nightmare (Soul Calibur series) - The embodiment of evil, Nightmare is a warrior whose very soul has been assimilated into the evil blade, Soul Edge. Just out of pure bloodlust, he slaughters everyone. Eventually, the evil of the blade is so powerful that when Siegfried, the evil sword's host, breaks free, it creates a body for itself and battles Siegfried in the ultimate showdown between good and evil. The fact that he loses changes nothing; he is still cool as [censored].

And finally, 1) Nathan Drake (Uncharted series) - I [censored] love Uncharted. From the first game to A Thief's End, the hype has been real. Nathan Drake is just.. I dunno, the perfect hero? That seems about right. He's just an everyman; no special powers, super skills, or magic. Just a guy with a treasure map and a gun. That's what makes him so relatable. He does stuff that we all do. He buys groceries, goes to the bathroom, climbs trees, all sorts of normal stuff. Nathan doesn't try to be some hero, either. His adventures make him into a hero, even when he's just chasing after his ancestor's gold or something. Nathan Drake is my personal hero, topped by none.
Certified Jojo fan
"She's a keeper!" ~Firekeeper
Stardust Crusaders banner coming soon.
Zelda x Palutena is the one true ship.

cj3003
Apprentice

#4 Post by cj3003 »

InceptionBwaaa wrote:Vito's face is the best face in gaming.
Agreed. When I Google searched Vito, I was met with this glory:
Spoiler!
InceptionBwaaa wrote:I like Mac just because of how amazingly quick he is. Have you played Punchout? Or even Sm4sh. He's powerful to the point of being superhuman, and when he gets a Smash Ball, he turns into a monster that could rival the Hulk.
Yes, I've played Smash 4 (Freaking love Robin, Toon Link, Dark Pit, Shulk, and Villager. Not necessarily in that order), but I haven't played Punch-Out before. I've seen Game Grumps play a bit of it :P

Also, Hulk vs. Smash Ball Little Mac would make an amazing movie. I'm looking at you, Marvel!

cj3003
Apprentice

#5 Post by cj3003 »

justanUltramarine wrote:
10: GLaDOS i always loved the idea of mad ais , give it a sense of humor and i'm in

8:Dust

4:Jack (borderlands 2)
Love these guys as well. Though, I don't really like the Borderland series, I still love Handsome Jack, especially since he is in Tales from Borderlands (my favorite Telltale game :D)

Damien203
Apprentice

#6 Post by Damien203 »

1.- Dante (DMC 1 and 3). His cockiness always made me laugh,
but deep inside he takes all the situations with seriousness. Which makes him a great character.

2.- Snake (MGS 1 to 4). The lone wolf that takes the most difficult missions for himself,
a backstory more than amazing, and life lessons no one else will teach.

3.- Jill Valentine (Resident Evil 1 and 3). A very important character for women in videogames in my opinion, she was the first female character I played with too.

4.- Issun (Okami). Because everyone needs a celestial envoy from time to time.

5.- Bayonetta. Just like Dante her personality amused me, her strength amazed me and her story is beautiful.

6.- Paarthurnax (TES Skyrim). Seriously, what is better than a dragon teacher?

7.- Sly Cooper (Sly). The white collar racoon thief that safes the world, with the help of his best friends: a hippo named Murray (the brawl) and a turtle named Bentley (the brains)... I think not much explanation is needed.

8.- Joker (Batman Arkham). His devious mind is what I like the most. And since Joker isn't the typical "bad guy" that only wants to kill Batman, instead, driving him as crazy as himself... Impresive.

9.- Sir Daniel Fortesque (Medievil 1 and 2). Because you can never have enough of his hilarious quotes.

10.- Marco (Metal Slug). I still hear the voice when you get a pick up. (I'm aware it's not his).

Ketzal
Templar GrandMaster

#7 Post by Ketzal »

Oh god, this is tough...

oh well, I'll give it a shot anyhow.

10) Joshua, from Fire Emblem: The Sacred Stones. a gambling badass swordsman with a soft-spot for the team's best healer. I loved this guy's personality, and the interactions between him and Natasha made me giggle.

9) Dick Gumshoe, from the Phoenix Wright series. He's a bumbling, lovable oaf of a detective that somehow ends up heading all of the cases that you're a part of. He's awkward and not the sharpest knife in the drawer, but he always made me smile, and there were a few shining moments where he got serious and turned into a real hero. He's not the best man for the job, but you can't help but love him.

8 ) Mario, from several Nintendo games. Yeah, he doesn't have much of a personality except for the "heart of gold" hero stereotype, but Mario's my CHILDHOOD, man! Paper mario, mario party, super smash bros. He may not have personality or look like some kind of badass, but Mario is the plumber that made my early years in gaming.

7) Erik the Slayer, from The Elder Scrolls: Skyrim. A naive farmer's boy from Rorikstead with grand dreams of adventuring all over Skyrim. Yeah, he had the same voice as like twenty other characters in the game, but something about his setup and his personality just rubbed me the right way. This was at the point where I was looking up everything about the games I played to get the best setup, and it made me laugh when I saw that this guy was better set up for barbarian-style light-armored fighting with a big ol' axe, but instead he started with heavy armor and a dinky little broadsword. It only makes him a more endearing character too when you find out that he was made to honor an avid, deceased fan of Oblivion. Rest in peace, Erik. You helped Bethesda make an awesome Elder Scrolls character.

6) Your character, from Saints Row 2. Okay, maybe this is cheating a little, considering that the character is someone whose image, gender and voice is up to you, but the game still took over a lot when it came to what your character did and how they interacted with others. And MAN, was he/she a badass! Ruthless, smart, cocky, and a whole lot of funny. This guy/girl was definitely one of my favorite people to play in a sandbox GTA-style game.

5) Krieg the Psycho, from Borderlands 2. I'll be honest, I was going to put Tiny Tina here because of her amazing, off-the-wall personality. But Krieg doesn't just go off the wall, he headbutts right through it frothing at the mouth and declaring himself conductor of the Poop Train. I always found the psychos of Borderlands to be hilarious, and playing as one with a virtuous voice in his head making him fight for Vault Hunters just sold it for me. What else can I say?

...oh yeah. NIPPLE SALADS!

4) The Medic, from Team Fortress 2. I would never trust this guy anywhere near me with a syringe, but dammit if he isn't one of my favorite brands of crazy with a medical license...or lack thereof. He keeps people fighting on the front lines and even gives them a godlike uber boost, all while reveling in the pain that comes through his "healing".

And seriously, that moment in his trailer where the Heavy asks if his plan will work, and all he replies with is, "I have NO idea!" Freaking. Priceless.

3) Jetstream Sam, from Metal Gear Rising Revengeance. I loved Raiden and his cyborg ninja escapades mixed with crushing moral dilemmas, but freaking Jetstream Sam. If there was ever a perfect archrival, it was him. He beat your [censored] both physically and mentally, taunting you and challenging you throughout the game. It pissed me off, but it also made me really want to rise to the occasion and slice right through his smirking face. When the time comes to duel, though, he just puts away the ideals and "higher causes" and gives you a straight-up amazing swordfight. GOD, I loved this guy!

2) Galuf, from Final Fantasy 5. Okay, I can get that this wasn't everyone's favorite game in the series. Personally, I loved the job class system, the combat, the story. And Galuf is just the icing on the cake: spirited, elderly, but with a good heart. I already thought he was a pretty awesome character, but after
Spoiler!
he sacrifices himself to save his friends and beat the hell out of Exdeath,
he became my favorite Final Fantasy character, hands down.

1) Varric, from Dragon Age 2. Say what you will about this game, you can't deny that it had one of the best dwarves in the franchise: the tall-tale-telling Varric himself. Oghren was always a fun guy to chat with in Origins, but damn if Varric's mix of wit and cunning didn't get me every time he opened his mouth. The fact that he could get you out of trouble with his infamous storytelling was awesome, and the part where
Spoiler!
he embellishes his visit to his brother's safehouse
was pure gold. You can hate on the game all you want, but don't you dare hate on my favorite dwarf of all time!