Smite and LoL: Differences and Discussions

For all your seizure inducing goodness!

Moderator: Moderators

Ketzal
Templar GrandMaster

Smite and LoL: Differences and Discussions

#1 Post by Ketzal »

So originally I was thinking of making a "which do you think is better" board between Smite and LoL, but after thinking it over, I realized that:

a) claiming that one product has superiority over another more often than not results in a flame war, and

b) I have no real in-depth knowledge of League of Legends, so I could not make a fair base for such a comparison.

I do have an interest in discussing differences between the two though, especially after my friend was taking stabs at Smite (which I was playing at the time) and saying how it was nothing but a cartoony ripoff of LoL (which he was playing right next to me at the time). After having a gentlemanly disagreement of opinions, it left me wondering what exactly made Smite and LoL different entities. What does one have to offer that the other doesn't?

That's my question to you, my dear LoL/Smite players: what is it about the game you play that you think makes it unique? Why do you prefer it over the other? If you've only played one, what's your impression just by looking at gameplay from the other?

Personally, I started with Smite and have never left it. The control scheme and the third person over-the-shoulder perspective are perfect for me, as I have much more difficulty with the point-and-click style of most MOBAs. I don't think that LoL is inferior, but I've never really felt the need to play it. It does look like fun though, and it does seem to be more expansive in a few areas (bushes to hide in, more diverse creeps to kill on the map).

And before anyone says anything, yes, I'm aware that there are games like Heroes of the Storm and DotA 2. I'm refraining from adding these games to the discussion because I want to keep it simple, and I know absolutely nothing about any other mobas. If you do feel like talking a bit about these other games is relevant to the discussion though, by all means, include it.

And for the love of an arbitrary higher power, PLEASE don't resort to mudslinging! This is a discussion, people are going to have differing opinions. Deal with it, don't attack them over it.

bond84
Stick Animator

Re: Smite and LoL: Differences and Discussions

#2 Post by bond84 »

To be perfectly honest the BIGGEST difference when you get down to the mechanical issue between the two is simple. The auto attack system makes the two of them completely separate genres of mobas.
That being said, I play both, and started wit league. Smite I feel is run differently to top it off. Their devs I feel actually care more for their audience, but perhaps that is because they are a younger company, who knows.
Would love to have a sig but I don't have anything sig worthy to be honest...

Nuff
The One With the Ears

#3 Post by Nuff »

Can anything be a 'cartoony ripoff of LoL'? Can't get much more animu/cartoon than LoL's design. Never bothered playing LoL as I play DOTA 2 but however if I fancy something more casual then I've been known to play SMITE. It's simple and not without it's charms, it's nice to see some different visions of well known (and lesser known) gods. The 3rd person view is probably what makes it more appealing than playing any other MOBA as it it's so harshly compared to DOTA 2. As far as I can tell, it's quite similar to LoL when it comes to it's conquest mode. There seem to be pretty set lanes and always seems to be a jungler, you have your ADC's (known as Hunters in SMITE) Mages and Tanks etc. (with other slight variation in names so not to be ex actually the same.). Magic users can also continue to be have a huge impact late game and their spells scale like in LoL (they don't in DOTA 2).

Basically, they games aren't that different at the heart of it just played with different fields of view (Giving SMITE a much more actiony feel). If your friend persists to be a little [censored] about how LoL is so much better just punch him in his dick.

y7h65
The Unpronounceable

#4 Post by y7h65 »

The biggest thing for me is actually the item store and how the changes in the item store reflect onto the Gods in SMITE. To put it simply, magic users have magic items and cannot access physical damage items while physical damage champions cannot access magical damage items. While this means that you never have to worry about buying the wrong type of item or an item that does not support your character type in SMITE, it also does make the Gods lack a certain... depth? that I find in League Champions where you could do decidedly stupid builds that occasionally paid off under certain circumstances. For example, Ashe. The basic ADC of League. Although she is decidedly an ADC, her ult scales of AP. So while you can build her normally with AD and AS items, you could go full moron and build a caster Ashe with AP and CD items. It won't work well but nothing is stopping you from pursuing that option. It did, however, work rather well in URF with certain team builds. You can't do that in SMITE so that's one thing I find lacking in SMITE.
Local Type Moon Fanatic.

Ketzal
Templar GrandMaster

#5 Post by Ketzal »

y7h65 wrote:-snip-
well, there are items that are for physical power, so in theory you can make a "caster" build with a physical god, even with ADCs. But I see where your coming from.

Thing is though, I do remember hearing that all items were accessible to any god in the early stages of the game, but this would more often than not lead to broken builds.

Example: Ymir, a magical tank in smite, has a passive that lets him do basic attacks for twice the damage after hitting someone with an ability. With crit items, he could deal as much as four times the normal basic attack damage with his passive online. Suffice to say, they decided against making all items accessible :P

Nuff
The One With the Ears

#6 Post by Nuff »

Last time I played I swore you get get whatever item on whatever hero you wanted? You just have to click on all insteasd of just using the recommened. I'll have to check as I often did builds outside of the recommended