2014 Recap

For all your seizure inducing goodness!

Moderator: Moderators

The Rookie
Grand Templar

2014 Recap

#1 Post by The Rookie »

With 2014 being done and dusted and now being firmly in 2015, I was wondering what were your thoughts on the year as a whole for the gaming community.

So yeah, what did you like ? What did you hate ? What disappointed you (Please, nothing about Destiny. We get it)? And what games /concepts/updates/developers really nailed it last year ?
Nothing ventured, nothing gained.

Tesla Foxtrot
Templar GrandMaster
Fav. Twokinds Character: Her

Re: 2014 Recap

#2 Post by Tesla Foxtrot »

My gaming year in a nutshell:

They nail'd it on Gta 5! and totally [censored] it due to more content on next gen... Some damn mixed feelings on that game

Stopped playing TF2, with a backpack Worth of 1300 riksdaler after 5 years and more than 1000 hours on the game. Time to move on!

D.I.H my first computer Windows vista 2006-2014, it lived as it died, Broke. Aint going to miss old betty. due to we know Vista
The communist part is a inside-joke with friends. :kathrin:

HeckobA
Master

#3 Post by HeckobA »

First, I'll post this somewhat relevant video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=79nhVj8fKNY

Then, to quote Matt Roszak (creator of the Epic Battle Fantasy series):
This whole thing with "PC Master Race" being offensive literally has me laughing my sides off. I am now dead.
In my case though without 'literally' and 'I am now dead'.
ImageImage
-~☼ Look! It's my Steam Profile! ☼~-

MrEpicDragons
New Citizen

#4 Post by MrEpicDragons »

As a whole I felt this year lacked. I hate the idea of the GTAV Remaster which everyone seems to love, most the games that came out that I played were either broken or just lackluster, etc.

For me the game I played the most was Wind Waker HD. Just because I love Wind Waker on the GameCube so much.

There were a couple of diamonds in the ruff but not enough to say I whole heartedly enjoyed this year in gaming.

Also don't get me started on the indie rise of "games" like "Five Night's at Freddy's". Now there were some great Indie games like Shovel Night (my number one game this year) but most I didn't like.
Oh if life were made of moments even now and then a bad one--! But if life were only moments, Then you'd never know you had one." Stephen Sondheim (Into the Woods)

Akira110
Literary Artist

#5 Post by Akira110 »

2014 was a very lackluster year for video gaming. All of this hype and all of these games that don't live up to the hype. While all of these bought and paid for reviewers giving these terrible games good reviews. Yes, there were a few good titles out there, but the Triple A video gaming scene is one step closer to its demise, because it refuses to learn about what works and what doesn't work and wants to do the same [censored] over and over again.
Been around this forum for over 8 years now. Everyone I've known has left, now it's my time to do the same.

Envy661
Envy x Banned Forever
Location: Back in the Yamaku Dorms, cuddlin' it up with Emi where I belong.

#6 Post by Envy661 »

There was a lot, and I mean a LOT of [censored] that came out in 2014. ESO, Assassin's Creed Unity, and Watch_Dogs, to name a few. But in all honesty, it's not that 2014 was a bad year for gaming. It was just a bad year for Triple A developers, and I think the main reason for that isn't even the bugs and issues. I mean, yes, they helped, but I think the biggest reason is everyone is moving on from those big cash cows, realizing they're only in it for the money, and going to games made by companies that genuinely care about their products.

Lets look at some awesome games of 2014:

Dark Souls 2, though not as good as DS1, had fantastic DLC that wasn't shoved down our throats.
Elite Dangerous and its' 100 billion star systems and 400 billion stars, offering an experience never before seen in a space flight sim, and earnestly lived up to the hype - a rare trait these days.
Didn't Saints Row 4 come out 2014?
Lords of the Fallen. People are raving about it, aside from it's lackluster story and initial bugs, the game shows true potential on what we can expect from a Dark Souls-eque game.

And let's not forget all the amazing Indie games that are out. Not to mention everything that was hinted at 2014 that are coming out this year.

2015 will probably be the biggest year for indie since the indie game boom.
ɔıƃol ʎʌuǝ ǝsnɐɔǝq
deviantART | Steam Account | Forum Sigs | Otaku Streamers
Message me for access to the Twokinds Unoffical Official Skype Chat!

Damien203
Apprentice

#7 Post by Damien203 »

I'll say the same as you guys, this year was quite lacking.
It has been mentioned the remasteritation of GTA V, well, also The last of us rem.
were basically the same game with better graphics (and with first person).
For me, that means selling the same game twice, and people buying it twice.
I'm not saying all games were bad: Shovel Knight(alredy mentioned), Alien isolation, Dragon Age: Inquisition...
Those were good games, with few, funny and little glitches, that stood over bigger ones.
They had a good story, surrounding soundtrack and a more demanding, but fair, difficulty.

And of course they sold overhyped games like AC Unity or Rogue, Watch Dogs...
When the trailer of The Evil Within came out, I was expecting the day of release to play it.
Because I love survival horror games, my chilhood is full of them, but it turned out to be a gory survival.
I like the game, sure other survival horror lovers like it too, but it is not what they told us.
If you like "zombies", being challenged, and gore, then it is amazing.
And now I'm expecting for Arkham Knight and The order: 1886, hoping them to be good games

bond84
Stick Animator

#8 Post by bond84 »

Ohboy.
I got destiny, I snapped it in two.
What a great year.
Would love to have a sig but I don't have anything sig worthy to be honest...

ButterBall
Grand Templar

#9 Post by ButterBall »

2014: The year where the hype machine went critical?
*Used to be a guy people knew at one time.*
Avatar by druanderson. Some things are very NSFW.

Ranalf
Templar Inner Circle

#10 Post by Ranalf »

The Rookie wrote:With 2014 being done and dusted and now being firmly in 2015, I was wondering what were your thoughts on the year as a whole for the gaming community.

So yeah, what did you like ? What did you hate ? What disappointed you (Please, nothing about Destiny. We get it)? And what games /concepts/updates/developers really nailed it last year ?
Personally, I have been having loads of fun with Final Fantasy 14: A Realm Reborn. And while this is rather controversial; Destiny. As heavily cut down on the story it may be, it's a fun game and I love the PvE. PVP's alright, but I've never been a big PvP fan. Raids are fun and the Nightfalls are really fun to mow through when there are Element Burns. It's a bittersweet disappointment, but one I'm so far enjoying.

As for Hate...I suppose CoD as it hasn't really...done anything. The New GTAV Rerelease (ffs, no discount or upgrade option for Previous Console owners? Just another straight up $60? [censored] you, Rock$tar.). I love GTA, don't get me wrong, but I'm not paying $60 for an upgrade on a game I already have.

As for Dissappointment...Other than the obvious (yet Enjoyable) Destiny, I'd have to say Warframe. Its Aethetics look really stupid to me and the gunplay doesn't feel very...tight.

I don't think anyone nailed it this year, except maybe FFXIV. That games really fun. Never played Shovel Knight, so I can't say myself about that game, though I've heard the massive hype about its 'greatness'.

I'm just wanting to hold out till the FFXIV Expansion. |D
Delicious.
Cool story.