Elite: Dangerous

For all your seizure inducing goodness!

Moderator: Moderators

Envy661
Envy x Banned Forever
Location: Back in the Yamaku Dorms, cuddlin' it up with Emi where I belong.

Elite: Dangerous

#1 Post by Envy661 »

Hey guys, remember Star Citizen?
Well the game that delivers on nearly all the features Star Citizen promises just dropped today!

http://elitedangerous.com/

I HIGHLY recommend checking it out. I spent all day playing it, and would probably spend the next several hours in it if I didn't have to work tomorrow, or even sleep for that matter. It's such a fantastic game, and I was really on the fence about it at first.

I mean, it's doing almost everything Star Citizen is doing, but promising so much more. 100 billion star systems with 400 billion stars, AND IT HAS IT. Persistent universe with player-based instances that allow you to play with friends and other players, AND IT HAS IT. It doesn't have the first person elements Star Citizen has, but it is definitely aiming to, as there are videos of the devs talking about the future of this game, started around the same time as Star Citizen, and already in v1.00 with full release, and where they plan to take it.

Meanwhile Star Citizen is sitting there with the Hangar Module and Arena Commander, still unable to get all the single-seat ships flyable, and these ships have been hangar-ready for a very long time. The FPS elements look buggy and horrid for what little we got to see of them, and in an engine that was literally made with First Person Shooters in mind (CryEngine 3). It has me very worried about the future for Star Citizen.

Add to the fact that Elite Dangerous FEELS so intuitive and exactly like you'd expect from a space flight sim. It's fun to play, fun to fight other people. Meanwhile Star Citizen feels like a jet fighting game, with Earth's gravity, in space, but with 6 degrees of movement, and it feels so uncomfortable to even attempt to play. It makes me sad that I invested so much in Star Citizen when I should have been investing in Elite Dangerous.

This doesn't mean I've given up on Star Citizen, but they'll REALLY have to impress me from here on in, or else I might not even bother playing it, and might just give away my copy to someone else.

Anyway, I highly HIGHLY recommend checking out Elite Dangerous. It's out. It's beautiful. It's HUGE. And it has so much more that's going to be coming to it.
ɔıƃol ʎʌuǝ ǝsnɐɔǝq
deviantART | Steam Account | Forum Sigs | Otaku Streamers
Message me for access to the Twokinds Unoffical Official Skype Chat!

Yash
Administrator

Re: Elite: Dangerous

#2 Post by Yash »

Just got this game yesterday. The ingame tutorials do an absolutely horrible job of actually teaching you how to play, but my google-fu has been strong enough to keep me going. Loving what I'm seeing so far, I like to think that this game is what Eve online would be if it had an actual combat system that was fun.
Forum Rules.

"Any fool can criticize, condemn, and complain - but it takes character and self-control to be understanding and forgiving." - Dale Carnegie

Envy661
Envy x Banned Forever

#3 Post by Envy661 »

Yash wrote:Just got this game yesterday. The ingame tutorials do an absolutely horrible job of actually teaching you how to play, but my google-fu has been strong enough to keep me going. Loving what I'm seeing so far, I like to think that this game is what Eve online would be if it had an actual combat system that was fun.

I've only really developed one major complaint about the game so far, and that is how unrewarding combat is compared to other professions in terms of raw credits per hour.
ɔıƃol ʎʌuǝ ǝsnɐɔǝq

Yash
Administrator

#4 Post by Yash »

Envy661 wrote:

I've only really developed one major complaint about the game so far, and that is how unrewarding combat is compared to other professions in terms of raw credits per hour.

It apparently gets way more lucrative the more you try to punch above your weight or take bigger risks, from what I've been told.
Forum Rules.

"Any fool can criticize, condemn, and complain - but it takes character and self-control to be understanding and forgiving." - Dale Carnegie

Envy661
Envy x Banned Forever

#5 Post by Envy661 »

Yash wrote:
Envy661 wrote:

It apparently gets way more lucrative the more you try to punch above your weight or take bigger risks, from what I've been told.

I'll be uploading a video (Eventually) of me killing an Elite level Anaconda in a Viper. Hunting missions are VERY profitable. But I sold my Viper for a Cobra Mk III, and I don't feel like I'm kitted well enough yet to go there.

Once I am though, Goddamn, I'll be running those missions nonstop.

But even then, combat still isn't as lucrative as other fields.

Seriously Yash. Go get an Adder or Hauler (Adder is the better choice as it has more features and can hold it's own in combat when needed), and go into the Gold/Platinum trade. 20k per unit of Platinum in some places.

Trade close to Sol. I'm currently near Procyon, but play on a private server. All from the forum are welcome, however. Just no hunting other players. Strictly PvE and Co-op.
ɔıƃol ʎʌuǝ ǝsnɐɔǝq

MeaCulpa, S.C.M.
The Last Gunslinger

#6 Post by MeaCulpa, S.C.M. »

The game is out now, so hopefully I won't be chastised for necroposting.

I've been playing this game just a teeny tiny bit (for an MMO, that's about 10 hours x-X) and so far plain old combat is still the best way to make money. Maybe you need to get further into the game first.
VERY, GOOD

Envy661
Envy x Banned Forever

#7 Post by Envy661 »

They've done a lot of rebalancing since launch, but trade is still the most lucrative route to go. At your level, you really wouldn't notice yet. It's only when you're willing to invest in ships like the Type-6 that you'll start to see how much trade can earn you.
ɔıƃol ʎʌuǝ ǝsnɐɔǝq

MeaCulpa, S.C.M.
The Last Gunslinger

#8 Post by MeaCulpa, S.C.M. »

perhaps. I spent the first few hours of the game trying exploration. Once I had enough to graduate past the newbie ship I started bounty hunting and got about an order of magnitude more money. It may be because I don't have the right equipment just yet (just a d-scanner). I'm sure trade is super lucrative once you're outfitted for it though, seems like something I might push towards.
VERY, GOOD

Envy661
Envy x Banned Forever

#9 Post by Envy661 »

Well, it's official. Eight months after the release of Elite Dangerous, they have announced their first major expansion (as expect, as they've stated many time even before release, and have continued to state through all the major updates they've been doing every month).
"Elite Dangerous: Horizons launches this Holiday. The first expansion, Planetary Landings introduces players to planet surfaces and the first all-new Surface Recon Vehicle (SRV) the ‘Scarab’. Scanning airless planets and moons brings new gameplay as players detect signals, crashed ships, mineral deposits, outposts and fortresses. Alone or with friends players will explore, mine and engage hostile forces as they attempt to infiltrate strongholds guarding valuable rewards. Players will explore new worlds, coasting over mountaintops, diving into canyons, landing on the surface and rolling out onto the surface in your SRV, all without loading times or breaks in gameplay.

Elite Dangerous: Horizons will continue to introduce new features and gameplay as the season continues into 2016, enriching the Elite Dangerous experience with new activities and new ways to play.

Elite Dangerous: Horizons includes all Elite Dangerous content to date, and all players will continue to fly together in the same galaxy. Existing Elite Dangerous players receive a £10 loyalty discount off the price of Elite Dangerous: Horizons, retaining their progress and unlocking the exclusive ‘Cobra Mk IV’ in-game spacecraft.

Order now and be among the first to land, Holiday 2015."
You can gain access to the Horizons beta right now for $75.00 USD. There are discounts available to those who already own the game, of course. And you can pick up the ultimate expansion bundle for $200.00 USD, which will give you access to every planned expansion for the game for the next decade (as that is what they are projecting for Elite Dangerous), including all beta access for free.

The main part of this expansion will be planetary landings, featuring a much more open aspect than anything Star Citizen has been planning with their planetary landings. To top it off, people who upgrade or purchase Horizons gets a free Cobra Mk IV, so it's not too bad. It will probably be around a 500,000 Cr ship.

https://community.elitedangerous.com/node/248

http://www.theguardian.com/technology/2 ... uches-down
Each planet is modeled using a first principle system – what this means is their creation, their orbit, their tectonic plates, weather, geothermal activity and countless other elements are simulated to create every uninhabited planet
While it might have seemed like this should have been a feature in the game from day one, the approach Frontier is adopting for the additional method of space exploration shows that just isn’t the case. Whereas, for example, in Frontier: Elite 2 every planet with a solid surface could be landed on – in a 20-plus year old game – they were lacking in detail, essentially giant green, grey or red orbs with little action on the surface.

In the Planetary Landings expansion, players will see a fair bit more than vast nothingness: as well as terrestrial bases and shipyards, there will be areas of interest to explore, loot to discover, mining to profit from and some overwhelmingly vast areas to explore. And as with the vanilla Elite: Dangerous release, it’s all going to be up to the player how they go about things.
Even now, this game is continuing to meet and exceed the promises that Star Citizen is making.

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B4sAe16UTDg[/video]
ɔıƃol ʎʌuǝ ǝsnɐɔǝq

y7h65
The Unpronounceable

#10 Post by y7h65 »

OK, dude, first of all; is it necessary to continue to rip on Star Citizen even in a thread that isn't even related to Star Citizen? I know you have this massive hate boner for SC but it seems pretty damn unnecessary to rip on it outside of the thread.

On topic; Holy [censored] $75 for entry into the beta an expansion?! The base game retails at $45 USD on Steam! I don't know how you can justify purchasing features that, in my opinion, should have been included in the base game for almost 3/4th again the cost of the base game. In what world does that make sense? I understand that it contains a lot of big features but holy [censored], what in the [censored] is this pricing scheme? Furthermore, $200 for every expansion to be released? With no word about future expansions or the plans for said expansion? By the current marketing scheme, they need at least two more expansions at $75 containing as much features as, if not more than, what is currently provided in Horizons followed by at least five other small DLCs each valued at roughly $10 in order for this pass to even be worth it. I don't know what else they can add for this game to make it worth it besides multi-crew ships. Which SC is currently in the process of testing for inclusion into the game.

How, on earth, is this "good value'"?

EDIT: Just looked around, apparently the $75 USD package gets you Elite Dangerous base as well. Horizons only costs $45 USD. Which means the Expansion is the same price as the base game. Point still stands, but now the Lifetime pass needs at least 4 expansion packs of equal value and quality in content in order to even be worth it, which seems even less likely.
Local Type Moon Fanatic.

Envy661
Envy x Banned Forever

#11 Post by Envy661 »

y7h65 wrote: EDIT: Just looked around, apparently the $75 USD package gets you Elite Dangerous base as well. Horizons only costs $45 USD. Which means the Expansion is the same price as the base game. Point still stands, but now the Lifetime pass needs at least 4 expansion packs of equal value and quality in content in order to even be worth it, which seems even less likely.
Let's talk about this part. I'll be turning over the rest to another friend of mine.

So the base game costs the same as the expansion? Welcome to any other MMO on the planet when they release expansions. Every WoW expansion released at or around that price.
And your remark about how there's not enough information on the next upcoming expansions to warrant that lifetime pass is kind of ludicrous as well, considering they have talked IN-DEPTH, CONSTANTLY about their overall schemes and features, as well as their 10-year plan for the game, including a major paid expansion EVERY YEAR.
This is not to be confused with Destiny's "10-year plan" for their game, where they're releasing a brand new game every few years and paid DLC with limited content every few months for roughly 1.5x more of the overall cost than what Elite Dangerous is offering here.

Here's the thing. You see big scary expansion every year for $45 USD being substantial. I say it's LESS money than major triple A developers and titles like Call of Duty, Assassin's Creed, or Destiny put out per year on their games, at LESS THAN HALF the overall content.

With Elite Dangerous you get:
The game, PLUS monthly FREE updates that greatly expand the scope of in-game content and add features that have been promised to us, that weren't in the base game because Frontier, unlike CIG thought that getting a working, stable game out was far more important than stacking promises on top of promises in a game that doesn't even have a stable singleplayer module out yet despite starting it's development time right around when Elite Dangerous started theirs.
With $45 more, you get the major expansion at the cost of any other major expansion for an MMO in the last decade that increases the content delivered greatly over the free expansions.

With any other Triple A title, you get:
The base game for $60, or the Limited edition for $80, or the Collectors Edition for $150.
You get the option to buy a season pass for $50 for a year that covers about half the content Frontier has proven to release, spreading paid DLC over months of the game's cycle that barely equates to the classic definition of an 'Expansion', but MIGHT include one, if you're lucky.

The value is there, man. It's obvious and plain as day. We're sitting here arguing about prices of the content for Elite Dangerous despite them completely DESTROYING the price points of major releases, by overall and all around being the same price for AT LEAST triple the content. And the funny part is? Most of that content you get for free anyway.

So tell me again how it's not worth it.

Elite Dangerous release December 2014. It's been out for less than a year, and as promised, they have provided free monthly updates to the game that increase the features the game offers, and as promised, they are releasing paid expansions that will release at roughly the same time every year.

I'll continue to bash Star Citizen, not because I hate it, but because $120 and three years later they have nothing to show for all this time other than adding more features to their to-do list and not delivering on their promises.
And should I need to emphasize it again, ELITE DANGEROUS' DEVELOPMENT STARTED AT THE SAME TIME!
ɔıƃol ʎʌuǝ ǝsnɐɔǝq

Amazing Mr. X
Templar

#12 Post by Amazing Mr. X »

Envy Ninja'd me by several hours but I'm posting this anyway.
y7h65 wrote:OK, dude, first of all; is it necessary to continue to rip on Star Citizen even in a thread that isn't even related to Star Citizen? I know you have this massive hate boner for SC but it seems pretty damn unnecessary to rip on it outside of the thread.
I wouldn't know anything about his hate for Star Citizen, but what he's stating is fact regardless. Elite Dangerous currently meets a lot of the expectations Star Citizen has yet to deliver on, and it's worth mentioning that it's not the only game that does so. No Man's Sky has also accomplished this, as have a large number of independent projects made by teams of one or two people with far less budget than what CIG has currently gained through crowdfunding alone.

I'm sure Star Citizen will be very good when it eventually releases in full but, until then, it's worth mentioning that there's a significant number of projects delivering on those promises right now.
y7h65 wrote:On topic; Holy [censored] $75 for entry into the beta an expansion?! The base game retails at $45 USD on Steam! I don't know how you can justify purchasing features that, in my opinion, should have been included in the base game for almost 3/4th again the cost of the base game. In what world does that make sense? I understand that it contains a lot of big features but holy [censored], what in the [censored] is this pricing scheme?
Ancient? Expensive expansions are a very old-fashioned way of doing business, one that Frontier has a history of participating in. There was a time when gigantic expansions sold at retail prices were the norm, and it was generally a time people remember more fondly than the era of DLC and Microtransactions. That should make it little surprise that a retro-revival Kickstarter campaign's discussion of long-term funding inevitably landed on this business model above all others. To clarify, the Kickstarter backers chose this business model for the game.

If you don't like it, blame them.

If I remember correctly, Frontier wanted something akin to World of Warcraft with subscription fees and regional central server systems.
y7h65 wrote:Furthermore, $200 for every expansion to be released? With no word about future expansions or the plans for said expansion? By the current marketing scheme, they need at least two more expansions at $75 containing as much features as, if not more than, what is currently provided in Horizons followed by at least five other small DLCs each valued at roughly $10 in order for this pass to even be worth it. I don't know what else they can add for this game to make it worth it besides multi-crew ships. Which SC is currently in the process of testing for inclusion into the game.

How, on earth, is this "good value'"?
I forgot about multi-crew ships. I suppose that is indeed still a thing that's coming, perhaps in a future expansion.

There's a lot on the table here, really. Horizons only includes support for landing on Ice Worlds, Rocky Ice Worlds, Rocky Worlds, and Metallic Worlds all without atmospheres. They've got bigger plans for planets with atmospheres, planets with life, planets with cities, the insides of ships, the insides of stations, alien civilizations, and all sorts of other things they've been discussing since the olden days of Kickstarter as possibilities for expansions. When Frontier says they have a plan for the next decade I tend to believe them, and honestly it wouldn't take very many expansions at the current pricing to make the expansion pass a massive savings regardless.

It's also worth mentioning that Horizons doesn't just represent a single expansion either, but an entire year's worth of expansions released in a series. The game is being developed over time with more than a few sizable releases happening within the scope of a single year. Just for this first year of release we've received three major content releases thus far. These are, Community Goals, Wings, and Power Play respectively. We're scheduled to get at least five major content releases this year, of which the fourth is currently on the way, and there's no reason to think that Horizons will be any different. So, in reality, what you're buying with Horizons is quite a lot of content.

If you don't think that's worth it then that's your own decision, but I think you could do far worse finding value for your money in the whole wide world of videogames.
"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought." - JFK

ConkerBirdy
Templar GrandMaster
Location: On top of a jelly cloud away from the evil monkey zombie ninjas who wield flaming fire swords.

#13 Post by ConkerBirdy »

I bought Elite: Dangerous sometime last year, and honestly, they shouldnt be releasing an expansion when the base game barely has content. The missions are boring, the combat is cumbersome and slow, and there is honestly very little to do in the game. Now before you say I havent been experiencing the game properly, I used to invest a lot of time in the Beta and I actually bought a HOTAS for this game (and a few others), hell my Oculus Rift saw more use in Elite than any other game. What I also dont agree with is that the expansion is more expensive for original backers than new members, the backers and long time fans have gotten screwed over.

What I dont get is the Star Citizen vs Elite: Dangerous arguement, while both have been in development for a long time, you also got to consider where they started. Frontier was already an existing studio so they had the advantage compared to Star Citizen where they had to spend about 1 and a half years building the studios (since they started from barely anything). You also got to remember that Star Citizen wasnt going to be as grand as it is now, Chris Roberts never expected people to give him so much money so instead of making the game he originally intended and running off with the extra, he decided to change his vision of the game to something more grand (that and it was part of the kickstarter goals).

Youre also comparing a finished product (Elite) to a game currently in development (Star Citizen) which makes the whole arguement absolutely stupid. I backed both games and in my honest opinion, what Frontier is doing right now is pretty damn disappointing, hell, a lot of the Elite fanbase is currently jumping ship and I dont blame them.

The biggest problem with Star Citizen is that its open development, that means we see almost everything theyre doing and thats why development seems awfully slow (but even then, we didnt know how much progress theyve done with other features until this Gamescom), heres an example we didnt know Fallout 4 was a thing until just recently despite the fact there was a lot of rumors going around that it was in development JUST AFTER Fallout 3. Games take time to make and comparing a game with less features than what Star Citizen is proposing isnt a very good arguement, otherwise id call both Elite: Dangerous and Star Citizen terrible games because they cant hold a candle to X3 or EVE Online.

Envy661
Envy x Banned Forever

#14 Post by Envy661 »

ConkerBirdy wrote:
Youre also comparing a finished product (Elite) to a game currently in development (Star Citizen) which makes the whole arguement absolutely stupid. I backed both games and in my honest opinion, what Frontier is doing right now is pretty damn disappointing, hell, a lot of the Elite fanbase is currently jumping ship and I dont blame them.
I know I mentioned this in Skype, but it needs to be said here as well:

Elite Dangerous is also far from a 'Finished Product'. It's just officially released, unlike Star Citizen.
FD spent more time focusing on overall stability and barebones aspects than constantly adding more features to an unimaginably long list of features before they even had a stable client up.
It's because of this that Frontier was able to release a 'Finished' Elite Dangerous long before CIG could do anything for Star Citizen.

And don't forget to mention how Chris Roberts has made other games, and how this isn't necessarily CIG's first game, either (though the company itself is new) ;)

In the end, for further development, Frontier needs money too. Star Citizen allows you to buy virtual ships you may or may not ever see or use within the limited amount of game they currently have available. So why can't Frontier, which is also trying to support itself with sales revenue to further improve the game and pay for doing so, sell an expansion yearly, just as we have known about and expected them to do, as they have stated multiple times.

I'd definitely prefer expansions over a system that provides a tactical advantage to players who backed more real money into a product.
See Definition: Pay to Win.
ɔıƃol ʎʌuǝ ǝsnɐɔǝq

ConkerBirdy
Templar GrandMaster
Location: On top of a jelly cloud away from the evil monkey zombie ninjas who wield flaming fire swords.

#15 Post by ConkerBirdy »

Envy661 wrote: And don't forget to mention how Chris Roberts has made other games, and how this isn't necessarily CIG's first game, either (though the company itself is new) ;)

In the end, for further development, Frontier needs money too. Star Citizen allows you to buy virtual ships you may or may not ever see or use within the limited amount of game they currently have available. So why can't Frontier, which is also trying to support itself with sales revenue to further improve the game and pay for doing so, sell an expansion yearly, just as we have known about and expected them to do, as they have stated multiple times.

I'd definitely prefer expansions over a system that provides a tactical advantage to players who backed more real money into a product.
See Definition: Pay to Win.
Then why are you bashing on Star Citizen then? Chris Robert's has had more experience in his 25 years of being a developer (and movie director). You know people were calling Freelancer vaporware back in the day right? But when it released it was a pretty damn awesome game.

As for the whole buying ship things, thats been stated numerous times by CIG that theyre removing that at the game's release and the only buyable thing are ingame credits (and i think cosmetic items). Frontier has been given a lot of money and theyve been getting more money from those wanting to play something till Star Citizen releases, hell, theyre also getting money from the Xbox One release. Either way, they should fix their base game instead of forcing people to get the expansions since the main game has little content or features. Hell, Season 2 of its expansion passes (first off season 2? what the hell?) has a crafting and looting system, a feature that should be in the base game like every other space sim out there.

Either Frontier has poor management that rivals that of CCP Games or theyre incredibly money hungry. $75 for an expansion is too goddamn much for what it offers, it should be close to $25-$35.

If you want to have a more legit arguement, compare Elite: Dangerous to X3: Albion Prelude or EVE Online since those games are actually released. No one compared X3 or EVE to Elite when it was in early development and thas why you shouldnt compare a 'finished' game like Elite to Star Citizen.