'Paranautical Activity' pulled after Gaben deaththreat

For all your seizure inducing goodness!

Moderator: Moderators

MeaCulpa, S.C.M.
The Last Gunslinger

'Paranautical Activity' pulled after Gaben deaththreat

#1 Post by MeaCulpa, S.C.M. »

http://www.polygon.com/2014/10/20/70245 ... team-valve

TL;DR: The developer made a death threat to Gabe Newell on twitter and his game was pulled from steam. He apparently made some other posts about Steam's monopoly.

Personally, I believe while he may have had a point concerning Steam, I don't really jump to his side. Threatening someone's life, even non-seriously, is completely unprofessional. He shouldn't be surprised at all at the result. It's wholly his fault, whatever extenuating circumstances there may be.
VERY, GOOD

tony1695
Weaver of Tales

Re: 'Paranautical Activity' pulled after Gaben deaththreat

#2 Post by tony1695 »

MeaCulpa, S.C.M. wrote:http://www.polygon.com/2014/10/20/70245 ... team-valve

TL;DR: The developer made a death threat to Gabe Newell on twitter and his game was pulled from steam. He apparently made some other posts about Steam's monopoly.

Personally, I believe while he may have had a point concerning Steam, I don't really jump to his side. Threatening someone's life, even non-seriously, is completely unprofessional. He shouldn't be surprised at all at the result. It's wholly his fault, whatever extenuating circumstances there may be.
Can we get a screenshot of the tweet in question? I don't trust Polygon, or most gaming 'journalism' sites. This threat could be tied to the current controversy surrounding the gaming media industry at the moment.

~EDIT~
Never mind, here's a link of the death threat in question. Seems like anger at a system that is working at sub-optimal speed is all.
Gentlementlemen
How do you get to the Rakdos Guild Hall?
You take the psycho path.
Weed la Weed Warning: WEIRD

EvilNinjadude
Templar Inner Circle

#3 Post by EvilNinjadude »

For the sake of completeness: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q2n1FVmOIL8
Part of the history of Paranautical Activity and Steam. It certainly serves to explain the guy's reaction, though of course not to justify it. I can understand why he did it, but I still consider it excessive, especially considering recent events (read: GamerGate and what happens around it).

Nuff
The One With the Ears

#4 Post by Nuff »

I'm a big fan of Valve but I have to admit the Greenlight system is [censored]. That aside this guys twitter rant is massively retarded and highlights a common problem on the internet that people seem to think they can say whatever they like with little to no consequence. You don't do this kinda thing in the real world, don't shout it over twitter like an idiot. I'm happy Gabe decided to remove their game entirely after the outburst, maybe he'll learn from it.

primalcaller ergos
Templar GrandMaster
Location: many places at once all around reality and outside it at the same time, thought i am astral projetin

#5 Post by primalcaller ergos »

You catch more flies with honey than you do with vinegar.

As far as I know, Gabe is the kinda guy that probably would have been willing to listen if this guy had been nice about it instead of threatening.

As far as the greenlight system goes, I think totalbuiscuit already has that covered.
You must train you eyes so strenuously to see the truth but when you do, a whole new world opens up for as you keen observation allows you to know more about some one than they know about themselves, this is called psychology - me