How Much Ping is Too Much Ping?

For all your seizure inducing goodness!

Moderator: Moderators

ButterBall
Grand Templar

How Much Ping is Too Much Ping?

#1 Post by ButterBall »

(So, not really sure if this belongs in the gaming board or the FAQ board or tech board but since it directly relates to gaming, I figured here would be fine.)

Basically, what I'm curious to know is how high of a ping does one need to reach before a game becomes unplayable and not even worth the effort of trying to play it? I understand that this may depend on which game is being played but I still would like to know on a case-by-case basis (like, the playable ping on Counter Strike may not be the same as on League of Legends, or something like that). Generally, my ping in games like Left 4 Dead 2 can be around 100-300 though I have been in games where it's spiked to 1000 to over 3000 by which the point in continuing playing it seems only to see how messed up the game gets at that point.
*Used to be a guy people knew at one time.*
Avatar by druanderson. Some things are very NSFW.

DarkTheImmortal
Overlord of Space & Time
Location: Somewhere between life, death, and a grilled cheese sandwich.

Re: How Much Ping is Too Much Ping?

#2 Post by DarkTheImmortal »

Usually if it gets above 400 for me, I get a little frustrated, but MOST of the time, it doesn't get that high. It usually stays bellow 100, but sometimes gets into the 100-200 range, but not very often.

DragonTamer1
Apprentice
Location: Filling the skies with burning wreckage from my doomed plane

#3 Post by DragonTamer1 »

The ping really depends on the kind of game you're playing. If it's a FPS or some other game that requires you to react and respond quickly then you would need as low of a ping as possible. However for a game like Minecraft, you can probably get away with a high ping though it would get annoying trying to play with monsters warping all over the place.

Usually if my ping exceeds 600ms then I stop playing and find something else to do.

Nuff
The One With the Ears

#4 Post by Nuff »

up to 100 is normally playable without it effecting the game in anyway, 120 ping is okaish but with a noticable delay, 150 ig getting annoying, 200 is unplayable and it's time to go offline.

HeckobA
Master

#5 Post by HeckobA »

When playing dota nowadays I find myself rather not playing than play with anything higher than 200, whereas previously I was used to playing with 300 or more constantly. It's just sometimes that small delay in your reaction time that costs you your life that makes it crappy. Playing with a high ping is completely viable though, but it's very important that it stays constant so you can still time stuff right. If your ping's fluctuating it's gonna be bad probably. Some are also more forgiving than others, e.g. Clinkz: rightclick to attack and press Q to activate your buff. Easy, little microing involved, while some other heroes have multiple things that you need to aim at specific spots, which a delay might mess up completely.

For some FPS games, like Natural Selection 2, playing with 200-250 ping is actually perfectly fine, as it takes everything that happens on your screen as having happened (within limits), instead of "oh btw you were dead before you fired that shot so nope you didn't damage that thing" or even worse "oh no actually that thing you shot at and thought you hit was actually already half a metre in front of where you shot". Several other games also have this (I know Mechwarrior Online does it pretty well), to such an extent that you don't really notice you're actually lagging even if the ping's pretty bad.
ImageImage
-~☼ Look! It's my Steam Profile! ☼~-