Project Thread: Web Comic RPG w/ Twokinds

For all your seizure inducing goodness!

Moderator: Moderators

CHAOKOCartoons
Traveler

Project Thread: Web Comic RPG w/ Twokinds

#1 Post by CHAOKOCartoons »

Hello, this is a topic for my multi-webcomic crossover RPG game with the code name of Project "Thread", and the final name "Thread Bound". It is inspired by the game series Kingdom Hearts, and it also plays similarly. As of recently, I released information that Trace was going to be in the game a playable character and companion. You will also be able to playthrough the (slightly altered) events of the Twokinds comic, and interact with the characters of the world.

The game takes place in a universe where Every single person, place, or thing is bound together by a large series of threads. Every thread that is connected to a single world is first tied together in a smaller knot called "The World Knot". Those knots are all bound by a large knot called "The Great Knot". This brings me to the topic of what you will be fighting. The main enemies of the game are beings known as "the woven". The woven are made up of things like string, buttons, cloth, pins, and needles. Each of them have one or more threads connected to their body, which lead to a tiny portal. The woven's main goal is to bind the thread of someone or something and send it back through another small portal. This allows a mysterious force to control the bound person or thing, making them "woven".

The main character is a person known as Taylor, a boy who was dragged from his world and thrown into the conflict with the Woven. You will travel back and forth through multiple worlds and befriend many companions from web comics such as Twokinds, Housepets! Sandra and Woo, Bittersweet Candy Bowl, Dreamkeepers, Gaia, Cheetah Kid!, and Simon & Freddy. You will also meet characters outside of those worlds from other web comics like Precocious, Curtailed, ect.

Unlike in Kingdom Hearts, all of your companions are playable and stay with you throughout your entire journey. They will also have discussions with eachother that you can take part in, take sides, or completely ignore. They each have special abilities that are required to get past certain obstacles.

The game is currently in early development, and will be completely FREE upon release, along with the game's soundtrack.

This is the bit where I show you all the content that has been released, look and read away!:
Peanut From Housepets! announced as companion: http://chaokocartoons.deviantart.com/jo ... -429105651
Trace announced as companion: http://chaokocartoons.deviantart.com/jo ... -429868901
Cloud from Sandra and Woo announced as companion: http://chaokocartoons.deviantart.com/jo ... -432675738
Lucy from Bittersweet Candy Bowl announced as companion: http://chaokocartoons.deviantart.com/jo ... -435142838
Bud, Autumn, Tiffany, and Jacob announced as NPC's and Cheetah Kid from Cheetah Kid! re-announced as a companion: http://chaokocartoons.deviantart.com/jo ... -437613851
Mace from Dreamkeepers announced as companion: http://chaokocartoons.deviantart.com/jo ... -440932733
Freddy from Simon and Freddy announced as companion and Mandy and Fox from Curtailed announced to be NPC's: http://chaokocartoons.deviantart.com/jo ... -444157813
Lilith from Gaia announced as final companion: http://chaokocartoons.deviantart.com/jo ... -449933265
Taylor announced to be main character, and A BUNCH of possible gameplay features: http://chaokocartoons.deviantart.com/jo ... -451644311
theres also a bunch of concept and gameplay info in later journals if you want to look at them, but I wont clutter you with links anymore :roll:

If you have any comments, questions, concerns, suggestions, or want to help out with the project, please do tell me! I want to give an equally good experience to fans of Twokinds and other web comics, and I can't do it alone, I want and need to hear you guys' input!
You can also discuss this in the Housepets! forums:
http://www.housepetscomic.com/forums/vi ... =13&t=2774

CHAOKOCartoons
Traveler

Re: Project Thread: Web Comic RPG w/ Twokinds

#2 Post by CHAOKOCartoons »

Felix Mage wrote:I might be mistaken, but shouldn't this go into the Gaming Board section of the forum?
I think it should actually. Honestly I don't know why I put it here :oops: . Guess I wasn't paying too much attention :roll:

red.wolf
Merchant

#3 Post by red.wolf »

Yea someone might lock this thread if they get around to it or notice it but I don't think mods venture into the writing forums too often. With that said if this gets locked it gets locked.
The first shot is not the one that matters. The last shot determines everything.

http://twokinds.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=18223---- Both Sides > My Fanfic
Both Sides: A TwoKinds Fan-fiction

CHAOKOCartoons
Traveler

#4 Post by CHAOKOCartoons »

Alright, I'll be ready to re-post in the gaming section. Thank you!

CHAOKOCartoons
Traveler

#5 Post by CHAOKOCartoons »

Hello once again. Today, I have both good news, and bad news. First, the bad news:

Lucy and Bittersweet Candy Bowl have been removed from the game. This meaning that any art, concept, or images regarding Lucy are non cannon. This includes the Roq Boss battle concept, Lucy's Tifa costume concept, the cover art, ect. The cover art will either be remade or a new one will be made in replacement. This also put's a bit of delay on the games development, but not to the point where I can't recover. I am sorry to disappoint all of those who where looking forward to the BCB features of the game, but this was a decision that had to be made. I must ask that you do not ask or heckle me or anyone else working on the game about this subject, as your question will not be answered.

Now, on to the good news!:

Due to the loss of Lucy, it has been decided that a new companion and world be added to the game. Without further adieu, I give you the new companion to the party!

Sesame Akane:
Sesame is from the web comic Uber Quest. Sesame is a companion you meet a little bit after the first few worlds. Her world will be based around parts of the first chapter of her comic, and other chapters that will come out by the time the game is ready for beta testing (the comic is relatively new, but is rapidly gaining readers). She will have the highest attack of the party, and will only learn physical abilities instead of magic. Her main weapon is her Great Sword, and her attacks will be rather slow.
Ironically, I intended to make her a companion early on, but though having her as a summon for Taylor and have a major side quest would be better, and now she's a companion again! Like all allies, she will be able to travel with you to other worlds in the case you need to do a specific task that only she could do. Here's some screenshots of gameplay with Sesame, and a more updated HUD (equiped magic displayed in top right corner instead of equipped weapon).

If you'd like to make any suggestions as to what I should add to the game, or suggestion as to any web comics I should read, please feel free to say so in the comments section bellow. I am also in current need of assistance with character sprites, if you would like to help or know anyone that is good with spriting and is well acquainted with one of the featured web comics in the game, let me know.

In other news, I may begin to post a series of comics and illustrations called Thread Bound: The Companions.

As you might have guessed, they are mainly focused around the companions of the game. The stories range from being random shenanigans between companions or characters from their worlds, to alternate side conversations from the game that I found really amusing. Don't expect me to post these too frequently, but know that they will come out every now and then.

That's about all I have to say for now. Have a good one peeps!

PS: If you have any requests/suggestions for any TB:TC drawings or comics, feel free to say them!
:grin:

CHAOKOCartoons
Traveler

#6 Post by CHAOKOCartoons »

So this got finished, forgot to mention that :roll:

CHAOKOCartoons
Traveler

#7 Post by CHAOKOCartoons »

I re-did Taylor, Peanut, and Trace's Final Fantasy costumes from the previous sketches. The costumes where slightly altered to fit the characters better, given palettes similar to the character's palette/comic colors. The weapons they are holding are just basic placeholders for the actual weapons related to these costumes, as I have not fully drawn them out past the sketches. Taylor isn't holding a weapon because I am still re-designing the weapon, and am leaning toward making it look like a spear version of the Kingdom Key, instead of a Thread Bound-like Keyblade.

I'm personally most proud of Peanut's Wakka costume, as I got to be the most creative with that one (especially how the headband is his collar, I'm not even sure why I like that so much). I also had to alter the way Peanut is drawn in terms of his limbs to work better with the outfit. I chose to go with Sora's first game outfit because A: It's my favorite of his outfits B: This is the first TB game, so why not use the first outfit? C: I'm too lazy to draw any of Sora's other more complicated outfits. Trace's color scheme mostly involved black and/or white to begin with, so there wasn't much of a point to drastically change most of the colors. Plus, Squall's design is probably one of the most basic in terms of main FF characters...

InceptionBwaaa
Grand Templar

#8 Post by InceptionBwaaa »

This looks too good. Will play for sure, as well as Judah's game.
Certified Jojo fan
"She's a keeper!" ~Firekeeper
Stardust Crusaders banner coming soon.
Zelda x Palutena is the one true ship.

CHAOKOCartoons
Traveler

#9 Post by CHAOKOCartoons »

Felix Mage wrote:Yeah, I think this is going to be very cool.
Too bad that from the title characters webcomics I only read Twokinds.
Hope that some characters from the webcomics I read will atleast make a cameo. :)
Feel free to make any suggestions for web comics, I may not be able to read every single web comic, but I would like to have other readers imputs on what should be added. As of currently, I am looking for characters from comics (other than the main companions comics) to have as the main character's summons or as cameos/npc's in the main hub. Remember, this can include full fledge comics AND fan comics of full fledged comics. I MAY consider fan fic characters, but I'd like to stick to the theme of web comics themselves.

For reference, the current comics officially in the game are:
Twokinds
Housepets!
Sandra and Woo
Uber Quest
Cheetah Kid!
DreamKeepers
Simon and Freddy
Gaia
Precocious
Curtailed
Housepets! 1X

A few other comics are under consideration, though I will not release said information until until I know for sure.

CHAOKOCartoons
Traveler

#10 Post by CHAOKOCartoons »

Hello everybody! It's been a while since the last announcement for TB, so I thought I'd just fill ya in on what I'm doing!

Story Development
The tutorial world/intro to the game is complete, and I am moving on to the beginning of Taylor's adventure. The beginning of the game seems to move by within 15-30 minutes of the game, as the point of the intro does not need over complication to understand (at least until you get to the main hub world, AKA Infinivile as mentioned before). You will be able to make a large variety of choices that allow you to choose part of Taylor's backstory and what kind of person he is.

In other news, I thought that you should know that I am considering having your party members be scripted to be in your party depending on what world you are in during your first visit to a world. This means, you will not be able to form your own party until after meeting all of the web comic companions. This is both for story purposes and allowing you to experience the play style and personalities of your companions before choosing who should be taken when and where. This brings me to the next topic...

Alternate/Unstoppable Boss Battles or Fights
This is EXACTLY how it sounds. In some situations, you will be presented with an option that may go off script of a comic, or instigate a fight. In most cases, selecting that option will result in an incredibly hard boss fight that is far beyond the average level of difficulty and level of your party. They aren't meant to be won, but if you somehow manage to beat it *COUGH* *COUGH* LEVEL GRIND FOR HOURS *COUGH*, you will be rewarded with loads of EXP, money, super special items, and an alternate path of the current story arc/chapter/other names comics call sections of their story.

To avoid these, it is best to ask your companions on their opinion on the situation when your unsure. Each of them will have their own opinion on the situation that may either lead you to the safe choice or to activating the unstoppable fight/boss battle. For this reason, you may want to be careful as to who to listen to or bring with you to certain situations. If you are still unsure, you may be able to contact a "psychic" character (Tarot, Bea, or Tasha for example). They will be able to tell you the outcome of your decisions if you are in their world or in a certain location. This feature is mainly for those who have not read a certain comic, since it's impossible for everyone to know how all these stories are supposed to go. However, the psychic option is still just under consideration, and may be removed at any time for programming purposes.

Concept Art and Finished Art
I've been drawing a lot of things for the game, so why not show em to you!
Here are some early sketches for costume and weapon designs for Taylor (and a Trace Housepets! costume cuz why not). You may be able to tell which costume and weapon goes to which comic, but the last few where made quite some time ago and I'm currently in the process of re-designing Taylor's spears (which can be seen later in this journal), so nothing is set in stone. Not to mention some of the weapons where just a quick idea of what it may look like and I didn't even finish all of them. The middle costume/weapon on the second page will not be in the game, as it was for the BCB world.

These are the final designs of the spears for the first three worlds (some early versions may have been seen in the boss battle concepts). The first one , Wildside, is obtained from the Twokinds world. The second one, Bristle Sandwich, is obtained from the Housepets! world. The third on, Domestic Thief, is obtained from the Sandra and Woo world.

These are a few the World Titles that appear when you first enter a world, and when you complete it's main set of story arcs. They may also be visible when traveling to a world, but that depends on how I decide to make the hub world. Mekkan is the Twokinds World and Babylon Gardens is the Housepets! World. Clauthon is actually Taylor's world, the world you begin the game in. I am aware that you will not always be in the exact area with the name of the world all the time (for example, heading outside of Babylon Gardens to go to the Temple), but that is un avoidable since some worlds are based on the planet earth or just don't have a name.

That's all I've got for now, if you have any suggestions for web comic cameos, summons, or crossovers, please do tell me!

Till next time, BYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYE!

CHAOKOCartoons
Traveler

#11 Post by CHAOKOCartoons »

Thank you for your suggestions, I will try see to it that I look into them :grin: .

All web comics are up for use when it comes to this game. Fantasy comics usually tend to be easier to adapt to the game's story than real life based ones, but that may only be a problem if the comic had it's own world. Summons and cameos do not require as much adaption story wise, because in most cases the character's world may have been lost to the woven already or they are fully aware of the happenings outside of their world, which is why they'd be able to interact with you and other worldly characters.

Thread Bound is being developed with the 001 game engine. It is free and easy to use, plus it's very easy to make action RPG's with.

InceptionBwaaa
Grand Templar

#12 Post by InceptionBwaaa »

I would love to see the crew from True Tail in this.
Certified Jojo fan
"She's a keeper!" ~Firekeeper
Stardust Crusaders banner coming soon.
Zelda x Palutena is the one true ship.

CHAOKOCartoons
Traveler

#13 Post by CHAOKOCartoons »

Hey guys, it's been a month, and I'd like to inform you about a few things that have and will be happening. Some of these things include, but are not limited to:

A Demo Is Comming (some time soon I hope)

While there has been a bit of support for this game, I don't think you people think me'n D-Rock are gonna go through with this to the fullest (like alot of big fan games). That said, we've decided that it's about time we came up with a demo to demonstrate the game play. This also occured to me because there has been a lot of confusion with the action RPG thing, basically you're allowed to move in any 360 direction (including diagonal) instead of the usual up, down, left, right. You can jump, and jump on top of objects with their own heights and boundaries, meaning their collision isn't always 32x32, 64x64, ect. Basically, the landscapes are 3D boxes, but with two dimensional sprites.
ANYWAY, back to the demo. It is very likely that it will be based on the arena mode of the game where you fight either waves of enemies, bosses, a team, or your team. You will be able to level up and learn the skills and magic the player would normally learn in the main game. Upon 100% completing the demo, you will receive a code to unlock a special spear/costume for Taylor in the main game. It doesn't do much stat wise, but it looks cool! I don't have a release date for it yet because I'm not done with all of the characters magic/abilities or how exactly I will begin working on it.

The First Summon Has Been Programmed!

It will probably be one of the easiest too, not to mention it's pretty fun and cool looking just to use. The summon I am referring to is the first summon that Taylor obtains. The character is Shadow 2 from the web comic Gunnerkrigg Court

*the damage numbers will not be in gameplay, as they are not always accurate. However, the green circles with the HP number over enemies will be in the game*
**also this last screenshot is in a test map, the top screenshot is in the actual Infiniville**
***ALSO, the hud changed again...***
This summon only effects Taylor, even if another character uses their magic to cast the spell. As implied by his name, shadow 2 acts as a second shadow and follows Taylor wherever he goes. While cast, Shadow two will constantly buffer Taylor for 60 seconds. Every ten seconds, it will switch to one of 3 random buffers. A: You flash green and restore a bit of HP, B: You glow blue and your defense slightly increases, C: Taylor is cloaked in shadows and becomes transparent and can phase through enemies (but be careful not to de phase while inside of them, you'll have to slay the Woven to get out). It is indicated which buffers you have by the visual effects on Taylor and the expression Shadow two makes in the bottom left dialogue corner (these may change later, so I will not list them). If I haven't mentioned yet, summons come in the form of "Spools". Shadow 2's is called the Dark Spool.

This is the second summon to be announced, the first being Eyesight from Housepets 1X, and his own comic, Eyesight.

This is the portion everyone likes the most! (I assume) I'ma throw some game art at you, and you people will be like "Yay!". Ready? GO!

Infiniville: The hub world title

Rural Town: The Sandra and Woo World Title (THAT TOWN DOESN'T HAVE A FRCKIN' NAME OKAY! All I know is that it's a rural area of North America)

Skyblend City: The Cheetah Kid! World Title

The first one, the "Dark Spear", is obtained via the main story. This was also designed by D-Rock, and was later edited by me.

The second one, Hero's Tail, is obtained in the Cheetah Kid! World... di-- did I even need to tell you that... I mean, really?

The third one, Orphan's Dream, is obtained in the Dream Keepers World.

That's all I've got for now, if you have any suggestions for web comic cameos, summons, or crossovers, please do tell me!

CHAOKOCartoons
Traveler

#14 Post by CHAOKOCartoons »

Hey guys! It's been quite a while since the last update, but you can thank Finals for that. However, I'm now on 3 weeks break, so that means more time to work on Thread Bound! Speaking of which, I've got quite a bit of concept for you guys and even a few screen shots of what has been developed, check it out!

Grithake Concept 2
Some more concept for Taylor's baby Grithake. This is mainly just because I like drawing it so much, but also to show that it will require some management. The gems at the bottom show how the Grithake will be raised, each gem giving it a certain stat boost. However, these are hard to find and expensive to buy, meaning there will be alternative ways of raising it. The reason for raising it is still under consideration. It will either be for a mini game of sorts, to summon the Grithake, or as a companion (this is most likely not the case).

Copycloth Concept 1
Some concept for the Copycloths forms (2-7), form 1 being it's usual Taylor form. When the Copy Cloth imitates your companions, it takes on similar weapons, magic, and stats. It will only change when it runs out of health, in which case it regains it's HP to the next party member's Maximum health (their HP at level 100). In terms of magic, it will also use healing magic if it is a character with said magic. However, it only has a limited amount of magic so you will eventually wear it out. If encountered in the wild, it will appear as the character that co-relates to that world and will not transform.

Taylor's Costume Concept 3
More concept for Taylor's weapons and costumes. The Dreamkeeper's costume was re-designed to have more differences from his main attire. The Dark Spear and Renegade spear appear differently here, however the dark spear's final design was shown in the last update and Renegade's final design is shown in this update (scroll further down). The Dark Spear and Renegade where originally designed by D-Rock.

Peanut's Ragdool Friend/ Friend Magic Visual
In the game there is a magic ability called "Friend(sing/doub/trip/finity)", that allows the user to turn nearby Woven into their allies. This ability is first learned by Peanut, and in a demonstration of how to use it he uses it on the first Ragdool he sees. However, he grows attached to it and keeps using the Friend magic on it. His woven is related to a side quest in Infinivile, which allows the woven to change the more you do it. The woven itself may be a second summon for Peanut, even though Taylor and Freddy are the only ones allowed to have multiple summons.

The "Corrupted" Concept
When a Woven is exposed to to much light or dark magic, it may become something called a "Corrupted". The Corrupted are in constant pain, and will take damage over time. Unfortunately they are far stronger and faster than Woven, and extreme caution is advised when one is in the area. They don't have the best vision, so as long as you don't make too much noise they will not attack. They are usually story related only (usually appearing in places that Mita and Mint have been), but there is a chance that they may appear in the wild.

NEW! Official Cover Art
This is the sketch for the new cover art design for Thread Bound. It's very similar to the last one with the exception of Sesame, Mita, Mint, the Woven, Grithake, and the angle of focus. Not all of the Woven appear on the cover, but these are some of the more common ones you find in the first half of the game. This will take a while to ink, color, and shade.

And now for this update's title cards and Spears! Prepare to look at more things!

Evyr: The Uber Quest world title

The Dreamworld: The Dreamkeepers world title (establishing that the game will take place during the Prelude)

ABANDONED WORLD: A story based world, attached to meeting Freddy.

ImageImage
ImageImage

The first one, Renegade, is obtained in a Story Based world. This was designed by D-rock , and was later edited by me.

The second one, Adventurer's Arsenal, is obtained in the Uber Quest World.

The third one, The Finisher (Spear), is obtained by completing a specific mission in The Arena. This was also designed by D-rock, and was later edited by me. It is Taylor's second strongest weapon.

The fourth one, United Threads, is Taylor's Ultimate Weapon. You will have to discover the method of obtaining it on your own.

Screenshots
Here are some screen shots of some things that have been finished so far:
Image1: The Main MenuImage2: 1st Boss Battle/ End of combat tutorial (Health Bar still in Dev., Soon to have multiple bar colors per phase of boss)
Image3: Beginning of conversation tutorialImage4: Example of choosing your back story
Image5: Second Boss Battle!/ Healsing spell top right.
Image6: Friendsing in use (Bolo-Bolo [the large yarn Woven] turned pink and helping Mace fight)
Image7: Infiniville: Market District
Image8: Infinivile: Outside of Arena/ Zephsing spell top right.

On a side note, I may not make any TB: The Companions comics. Mainly for the reason that it feels weird to use another writer's character with a different comedy style. It's much easier to do it in Thread Bound itself because it's based in the character's own stories, and their personalities can be easily influenced into situations outside of their world. Plus, I just don't have time to do it. I've only sketched about 4, and that was over the span of multiple months. I have not decided weather or not those will be finished and released.

That's all I've got for now, if you have any suggestions for web comic cameos, summons, or crossovers, please do tell me! Feel free to leave me any questions or concerns you have too!

CHAOKOCartoons
Traveler

#15 Post by CHAOKOCartoons »

Hello guys! Since the last update I haven't done a lot of things, but the things I did do required a bit of work.

New Menu Design/Items/Controls/And Enemy Health Bar
Menu Screen (Taylor's Health is high because of his equipped weapon, also still working on the money symbol)
The menu select icon is a spinning gold version of the game's symbol, unfortunately all of my screenshots show the symbol when it's on it's side for some reason (what timing right?)

Equipment Menu (You can now use one type of restoration item while in combat with the press of a button if you have it equipped)

Item Menu (DANG THAT'S A LOT OF AURORA VIALS!)

Magic Menu

Enemy Health Bar (Changes to the last attacked enemy). A danger message can also be seen on the bottom left to indicate when a party member is low on health that has 3 different phrases for each character. However, this feature may not make it into the final version of the game due to the fact that it appears almost EVERY TIME a party member is damaged at low health. The messages will stack and slowly fade away, covering up most of the right side of the screen. I may be able to fix it, but I can't promise anything.
On the other hand, there are also death messages (3 phrases per character like the danger ones) that WILL make it into the final game.

don't think you guys have seen the K.O'd sprites. Welp, there's the ones for Taylor and Cloud! (Sesame your not even hurt that badly, and both of them are K.O'd, who are you yelling at?! This is also not a good example of the whole "3 phrases thing" :lol: )

Also, I've had most of Peanut's weapons done for a while, so here's those:
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

1: Red Ball
2: Pinpoint
3: Armordillo
4: Mystic Yarn
5: Fortune Teller
6: MEGA-BALL
7: Bringer of Justice

I haven't redrawn the "Finisher" Ball yet because that was AFTER I drew these, but I'll get to it in the next update.

"Suddenly, (insert party member) is wearing a party hat. "
"(Insert party member) saw no reason to remove the hat for the rest of the day."
-I'll just let you guys imagine what the heck I'm talking about- ;)

That's all I've got for now, as usual; if you have any suggestions for web comic cameos, summons, or crossovers, please do tell me! Feel free to leave me any questions or concerns you have too!