Project Thread: Web Comic RPG w/ Twokinds

For all your seizure inducing goodness!

Moderator: Moderators

CHAOKOCartoons
Traveler

Re: Project Thread: Web Comic RPG w/ Twokinds

#16 Post by CHAOKOCartoons »

I'm back bi-- euuuh... charming young women(s)! I know its been like 1 and 1/2 months since the last update, and that I mentioned some MAJOR technical issues with the game engine in my last Chaoko Draws, but I decided to spend extra time working my way around the issues until they are fixed. I also did some polishing of the HUD and changed/came up with a few other things!
This is also the reason for the lack of Cheetah Kid! on Wednesday, sorry bout that.

First, let me show you the new HUD!:

Character HUDs:
As you can see, many things have changed. First, the Party member HUDs: The circular HP and MP Kingdom Hearts-esque HUD actually gave me constant issues throughout the entirety of the development of the game, but I was so stubborn to let go of the feature. Why? Because I've always hated non-creative HUDs (in other words I disliked most things with simple health bars). However, I took the time to look at many good RPG's, namely one called Xenoblade Chronicles. While simple, I really learned to appreciate the way it's HUD was set up. For this reason the HUD now shows the number of HP and MP along with the XP bar.
The timing of this was perfect, as I had also figured out how to show multiple character's HUDs at once.

Mini HUDs:
You may also notice that the Mini HUDs for enemies and allies have changed. An allies' HP appears green and an enemies' HP appears red. They're name will show above the bar, however the number of points is not visible. For that reason, I may decide to keep the damage/heal numbers in the final version of the game.

Visible Equipped Item:
You can now see your equipped item and how many you have left of it right next to your equipped magic. Yes, I know it may be hard to see the item count in the Infinite Realm, and I have already accounted for that. I just didn't put two and to together when making the text white and having the hub area in the game be completely white-ish when taking these screen shots... don't judge me.

And now for the OTHER added features and ideas for future features.

"FALL BACK!" Command:
You can now warp your party members back to your position with the press of a button (including K.O'd ones). This will come in handy most when attempting to flee a fight or their AI is just doing something dumb in general. In most cases it refreshes their AI, and may sometimes de-aggro them towards an enemy. In combat, calling your party members back will halt them until they are switched to. I'm not sure why that happens, but it's good if you want to keep them out of combat I guess.

Quick Switching Magic/Abilities:
You can change your equipped magic/abilities outside of your menu, one button selects the previous one, the other selects the next one. Not much else to say about that.

Auto Revive Out of Combat:
Once all of the enemies in a map are defeated, all K.O'd party members are revived to 25% of their health. This basic function of any RPG was not a feature before, but I realized one could instantly restore the HP and MP of an ally just by having them die before a fight is over... I don't approve with those scummy tactics.

Also for reference, it takes 60 seconds for a K.O'd ally to auto revive, which gives them full HP and MP. They can only be revived using "heal" magic or revival items. If they run out of MP, they cannot be revived without a revival item. While K.O'd, they cant regenerate MP, use MP or HP restoring items, or gain experience. So... keep them alive.

Friend-Based Abilities (In Consideration):
Basically if you get a character's Friend Points to max, said character will gain an ability where they team up with Taylor to do a unique and powerful "Area of Effect" attack that consumes both Characters MP. The moves get they're own animated cutscene... ya know, in my vector animation-esque style... don't expect too much of meSweating a little... . Upon getting all of their FP's to max, and getting Taylor's to max (that's story based so you don't have to worry about Taylor's FP's too much), You will get two abilities involving all of your party members.
However, animating these attacks will be difficult and time consuming, so none of the boss exclusive companions will be able to learn such abilities. In fact, depending on how things go I may not be able to program these in at all. The only one that may be in the game regardless is the one gained from Taylor's FP's as, once again, it's story based.

Horror-Based Elements:
I'm joking. But come on, the Woven could be creepy if put in the right atmosphere.

The Demo Should Be Released Sometime in April:
I've decided to make the demo it's own little adventure/story arc to show you the functions of the game and how it will be played, rather than the tournament. There are still many things I must decide for how the tournament works and looks. This way is much simpler and gives you a feel of most basic features in the game.
-Things you may experience include: Regular combat functions, Choice Making, Problem Solving Between Party Members (deals with FP's), Fighting a Boss, Strategizing who should equip what and when, stealth sections(?), and dumb companion AI!
-Things you may not experience for obvious reasons include: Grithake Training, Alchemy, Horror Elements-- STILL JOKING, Tournament fighting, and Side Quests).

Also, I didn't change the combat system to random encounters like I said I considered doing in the last CHAOKO Draws:
I worked around the issues with the combat system.

And because I always show you stuff I've accomplished in terms of drawing stuff here's Trace's Weapons (Except For His "Finisher" Sword Cuz I'm Still Lazy):
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
1: Short Sword
2: Gilded Blade
3: Silver Moon
4: Northern Lights
5: Demon's Nail
6: Wind Gust
7: Platinum Edge
2-7 where originally designed by Thread Bound's weapon designer D-Rock, and where later edited by me.

That's all I've got for now, as usual if you have any suggestions for web comic cameos, summons, or crossovers, please do tell me! Feel free to leave me any questions or concerns you have too! Also, if you can think of any other names to call "Boss-Exclusive Companions", feel free to tell me!

Till next time, BYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYE!

InceptionBwaaa
Grand Templar

#17 Post by InceptionBwaaa »

You should have a secret, all-character weapon that can only be unlocked through a rigorous and difficult side quest. My suggestion for this mystery weapon? The Master Sword, of course!

In all seriousness, very excited for the demo. 8/8, will play, m8
Certified Jojo fan
"She's a keeper!" ~Firekeeper
Stardust Crusaders banner coming soon.
Zelda x Palutena is the one true ship.

CHAOKOCartoons
Traveler

#18 Post by CHAOKOCartoons »

Thanks dude!
Actually, there is a weapon that all Characters can use (Except for the boss exclusive ones). However, A: it's not the Master Sword as awesome as that would be :grin: and B: it shapes itself to the user's fighting style. So for Trace it appears as a short sword, but for Peanut it would appear as a ball. Mainly because it would be weir for some of the long ranged characters or ones that use weapons that just aren't swords to suddenly be able to use one.

CHAOKOCartoons
Traveler

Re: Project Thread: Web Comic RPG w/ onekind

#19 Post by CHAOKOCartoons »

THE DEMO DOWNLOAD IS HERE!
http://www.mediafire.com/download/ntkwo ... _Setup.rar

The full demo is out now! The font I made for the game is also in the file in case you need it to see the text. I'll probably make play through video for it soon, I'll tell you when I do :D
If you have any problems with it, do tell me :3

THIS WAS AN APRIL FOOLS JOKE. PLAY AT YOUR OWN RISK. :P

CHAOKOCartoons
Traveler

#20 Post by CHAOKOCartoons »

FINALLY. AFTER MONTHS OF WORKING ON THIS IT'S DONE. And I can't feel my hands!
This is the updated version of the cover art/Title Screen, you can see the old version here (it was before Lucy was removed and Sesame was added to the game): http://chaokocartoons.deviantart.com/ar ... -473706616
If you where hoping for a Chaoko Draws of this, sadly there wont be because I hadn't thought about making those when I started working on this, and even sped up from the different sessions I drew this in x8 it would still probably be like 3 hours long or in multiple parts.
There will be another size of it for the title screen, and I may make a wallpaper version of it. This version can be seen on DA and downloaded here: http://chaokocartoons.deviantart.com/ar ... -527985135

Wolfgang penguin
New Citizen

#21 Post by Wolfgang penguin »

How do I play
"Spartans never die"

CHAOKOCartoons
Traveler

#22 Post by CHAOKOCartoons »

Unfortunately, the game is under heavy development. The real demo will hopefully be released sometime soon, but because of the lack of people working on the project it may take a while.