Hearthstone

For all your seizure inducing goodness!

Moderator: Moderators

Sithil
Templar Inner Circle

Hearthstone

#1 Post by Sithil »

First things first, an introduction for the unfamiliar:

Hearthstone is a card game of the TCG(Trading Card Game) variety, though it is worth noting that it is technically disqualified as such, since there is no possibility of card trade(to my knowledge at least). The way I'd explain it to my dad would be, "A game in which you play cards with different values and effects, in order to eliminate your opponent." How this takes shape, is in a battle between heroes in which monsters are summoned to fight, and spells are cast to gain the advantage.

I am, as you might surmise by the fact I am creating this thread, a big fan of Hearthstone. I have found it to be pretty much a perfect fit, in comparison to other TCGs I have tried, such as, of course, Magic the Gathering.

I won't go into specifics about all the game's rules and mechanics, but I'll offer a summery of my opinion on the game as a whole.

I am beyond satisfied with the variety of strategies you have access to in Hearthstone, as opposed to, for example, MtG, where it is simply daunting, and you never know when you'll run into a deck that is absolutely(and I do mean, ABSOLUTELY) unbeatable.

Cards are mostly(okay, pretty much entirely, if disregarding personal bias) balanced, with not even those placed at the highest rank of power and rarity able to completely control a match, and impossible to build a whole deck around.

Building decks is as swift and simple, or as time consuming and complex, as you yourself choose for it to be, and you'll find that over time, you will come back over, and over, and over again to tweak those you have come to love, or completely overhaul them to try out new strategies.

All in all, it's a fun game, operating on a free(FREE!) to play model in which monetary transaction offers no definite advantage what so ever, which I would heart(eh? eh?)ily reccomend to anyone, familiar with the TCG type of games or not.

Now, there are a lot of potential topics to a game like this, like favorite(or hated) strategies, specific cards, personal tips, but I'd like to start by opening up one relevant to those potentially established in the game already:

Earlier this week the first section of Heartstone's (potentially first?)expansion, Curse of Naxxramas, was released. And I don't know about anybody else, but so far, I am in love. I've wished for the ability to create decks based on a Deathrattle strategy for a very long time. And besides that, it's just plain fun, and lots of it: I adore the adventure mode style gameplay, and have been simultaneously frustrated and jubilant beyond description by the Heroic difficulty bosses. Even the flavour dialogue adds to the experience.

My one qualm(more of an anxiety, really) is that there is as yet no way of unlocking the future sections with Gold, yet there is an option to do with through payment. I hope this does not mean they have changed their minds, and decided not to let you unlock them through Gold like they announced, as I'd be greatly disappointed on a principal basis(and for sitting on all this gold for so long).
All my life I've seen a world that hates evil more than it loves good ~Johann von Staupitz(Luther, 2003)

MrFlyingAmoeba
Grand Templar

Re: Hearthstone

#2 Post by MrFlyingAmoeba »

I can't recall where off the top of my head the link is, but I'm almost certain that the Naxx expansion wings are going to be gold-purchasable as well. Each Wing is coming within a week of the previous, and will cost either 700 or 750 gold to unlock per wing. And yep, there are future expansions on the way. It's why the Solo Adventure section was added, to ease additions of future expansions.

Personally, I'm not a huge fan of some of the cards added, like Shade of Naxxramas. 3 drop 2/2 with Stealth and the ability of Gruul? A bit terrifying, even with my tendency to carry feasible counters.

EDIT: I know the meta could use a good smacking, but I'm hoping for a few nerfs or at least reworkings on those ends.
Red Mage Statscoski wrote:That is not how we do things around here, buddy. First we have to argue incessantly over semantics.

Sithil
Templar Inner Circle

#3 Post by Sithil »

MrFlyingAmoeba wrote:Personally, I'm not a huge fan of some of the cards added, like Shade of Naxxramas. 3 drop 2/2 with Stealth and the ability of Gruul? A bit terrifying, even with my tendency to carry feasible counters.
I do agree that Shade of Naxxramas is theoreticly a terrifying card. But in practise, I have found that it is not as I had thought. Sure, it costs only 3 Mana, but that means it only becomes worth said expense after two turns, when it reaches 4/4. That's two turns of a creature card sitting on the board doing nothing, unless you want to risk its destruction. And while you could simply let it sit there for upwards of 4 turns or more, slowly building up, during which turns it will be safe from most maneuvers that might destroy it, but not all, the longer it sits inert, the greater the risk of being destroyed before it acts. And even if it does build up to monstrous strength, there is a good chance it will only get to attack once, before being removed, as the opponent will have been aware of its impending threat and spent the available turns preparing to deal with it.
All my life I've seen a world that hates evil more than it loves good ~Johann von Staupitz(Luther, 2003)

MrFlyingAmoeba
Grand Templar

#4 Post by MrFlyingAmoeba »

Moreso on the buffing level. By itself, I agree that it isn't going to be posing a huge threat, since it is essentially a dead turn for the other player. (Unless it was a druid, but burning an Innervate on that would be very odd) I do disagree on the idea of removing it as a bonus, because it outgrows most AoE unless Spell Power is in play.

Hmm, on second thought, very few things would make it functionally worthwhile. Blessing of Kings, a few Druid buffs, and the burned turn would shatter most momentum. Fair enough.
Red Mage Statscoski wrote:That is not how we do things around here, buddy. First we have to argue incessantly over semantics.

hanifnoor

#5 Post by hanifnoor »

I've wished for the ability to create decks based on a Deathrattle strategy for a very long time. And besides that, it's just plain fun, and lots of it: I adore the adventure mode style gameplay, and have been simultaneously frustrated and jubilant beyond description by the Heroic difficulty bosses. Even the flavour dialogue adds to the experience.