So why DO people hate Steam?

For all your seizure inducing goodness!

Moderator: Moderators

tony1695
Weaver of Tales

Re: So why DO people hate Steam?

#16 Post by tony1695 »

ButterBall wrote:Isn't that what all those extra GBs are? Update data and new content not on the original disc? Or has the current version been altered to such an extent that the only things the retail copy is good for is the product key and to look pretty on a shelf?
Like I said, if they are using a new/modified version of the Source Engine, then yes, you just have a disc that looks nice on the shelf. All I know that so much has changed that even the vanilla loadouts (damage-wise and stat-wise) aren't the same as they were when the game first saw the public.
Gentlementlemen
How do you get to the Rakdos Guild Hall?
You take the psycho path.
Weed la Weed Warning: WEIRD

Akira110
Literary Artist

#17 Post by Akira110 »

tony1695 wrote:I feel the hate is coming from those who use one of the other, publisher-specific systems. They don't like that the competition is doing so well, so they go about and announce as loudly as they can all the flaws they can find, even if they have to exaggerate or outright fabricate evidence.
Not entirely, may I point out that because you don't experience a problem, doesn't mean it doesn't exist. If I don't experience a game breaking bug in Fallout New Vegas, doesn't mean that it doesn't exist. But according to this argument, it wouldn't, because apparently, they are fans of the competition of fallout and don't like how successful Fallout is.
Been around this forum for over 8 years now. Everyone I've known has left, now it's my time to do the same.

bond84
Stick Animator

#18 Post by bond84 »

Because in summer they don't spare my wallet any expenses.

It feels so much lighter ;n;
Would love to have a sig but I don't have anything sig worthy to be honest...

Nuff
The One With the Ears

#19 Post by Nuff »

Akira110 wrote:
tony1695 wrote:I feel the hate is coming from those who use one of the other, publisher-specific systems. They don't like that the competition is doing so well, so they go about and announce as loudly as they can all the flaws they can find, even if they have to exaggerate or outright fabricate evidence.
Not entirely, may I point out that because you don't experience a problem, doesn't mean it doesn't exist. If I don't experience a game breaking bug in Fallout New Vegas, doesn't mean that it doesn't exist. But according to this argument, it wouldn't, because apparently, they are fans of the competition of fallout and don't like how successful Fallout is.
And just because a very minor about of the user base suffers a problem here and there doesn't make a program [censored]/hate worthy. Steam doesn't suffer more bugs or problems than the other programs that do the same job (and often they do it to a worse degree). Larger user base can mean a larger amount of people complaining about a problem but that percentage of people is probably similar to the percentage of people suffering problems on other programs. Because Steam is top dog it's under the most scrutiny. Still anyone who thinks is [censored] when compared to the others available are clearly drunk.

HeckobA
Master

#20 Post by HeckobA »

Nuff wrote:
Akira110 wrote: May I point out that because you don't experience a problem, doesn't mean it doesn't exist. If I don't experience a game breaking bug in Fallout New Vegas, doesn't mean that it doesn't exist. But according to this argument, it wouldn't, because apparently, they are fans of the competition of fallout and don't like how successful Fallout is.
And just because a very minor about of the user base suffers a problem here and there doesn't make a program [censored]/hate worthy. Steam doesn't suffer more bugs or problems than the other programs that do the same job (and often they do it to a worse degree). Larger user base can mean a larger amount of people complaining about a problem but that percentage of people is probably similar to the percentage of people suffering problems on other programs. Because Steam is top dog it's under the most scrutiny. Still anyone who thinks is [censored] when compared to the others available are clearly drunk.
While I agree with Nuff (although hate-worthiness is actually quite subjective and dependent on the individual's personality and his situation / experience with the subject) I also believe Akira110 is right to point this out. While Steam isn't bad at all, who's to say it doesn't have some terrible bugs that have happened to some people?

Especially in the past, Steam often acted up in some strange ways, even though things did get addressed and fixed over time. As new features arrive, new problems pop up, e.g. I've heard in-house streaming doesn't work very well. That could also be just one user's experience and maybe even external factors like computers that can't handle the load. Maybe it's an outright fabrication. Maybe it's true.

I like Steam a hell of a lot, since it connects me to all my friends in an atmosphere that's all about games, provides servers for some of the games I have, provides a library of games I will always have (unless some catastrophe happens) and provides a place where I can easily and at the push of a few buttons acquire new games, often at big discounts. However, I feel people who dislike the things I like, misguided or not, may be entitled to their opinions.

It does get to me when people state such things as unquestionable facts... but it's not worth arguing over, most of the time.
ImageImage
-~☼ Look! It's my Steam Profile! ☼~-

foxlord
Elder foxy

#21 Post by foxlord »

I use Steam a hell of a lot, and it has its issues sometimes, but it's generally worked well for me.

I also use GOG, which works perfectly offline, which is amazing, though it just doesn't have some games that Steam does, but I support both for that reason.
The elder has spoken! Ex-Brony Slayer.

Take two old white men, fuse them together, and they become a black ginger with an obsession for power. - Invidian

Zylver
Grand Templar

#22 Post by Zylver »

Let me add some "deluxe haters" to your list :P
NAV (the Hungarian IRS, for most of you) has decided to ban Steam, which means that Hungarian Steam users are unable to use the program...
And the reason for all this?
Simply because our wonderful [censored] up laws: anything that is related to gambling, lottery and other "luck based" competition has a very high tax rate in my little country and our greedy leaders just can't resist to put their hands on anything that has a lot of money in it.
So this is a new form of hate towards Steam :D and a new [censored] level of idiocity

Of the four elements, air, earth, water, and fire, man stole only one from the gods.
Fire.
And with it, man forged his will upon the world.
- Anonymus