Halo: Master Chief Collection

For all your seizure inducing goodness!

Moderator: Moderators

The Rookie
Grand Templar

Halo: Master Chief Collection

#1 Post by The Rookie »

Hey guys.

343i has revealed the details this year's Halo title 'Halo: The Master Chief Collection' and it's actually quite a fair bit.

Instead of making a smaller bridge game similar to ODST, 343i has decided to bundle up the four main Halo games featuring the Master chief as the main protagonist for the Xbox One. The bundle will include Halo:CE Anniversary, Halo 2: Anniversary, Halo 3 Up scaled to 1080p and Halo 4 scaled up to 1080p, each with their own online multiplayer (Featuring something like 100+ maps), Halo 5 Beta access in December, access to Halo's new live action series Halo: Nightfall and a few other little things all on one disk, all for the price of one standard game.

So yeah, anyone else interested in this offer ?
Nothing ventured, nothing gained.

HeckobA
Master

Re: Halo: Master Chief Collection

#2 Post by HeckobA »

It was funny when they said they're making the gameplay exactly as it was 10 years ago like that's such a great thing, because that means that either they're downgrading or they're admitting that the quality has been degrading over time :P
ImageImage
-~☼ Look! It's my Steam Profile! ☼~-

Myperson54
The Imagineer

#3 Post by Myperson54 »

HeckobA wrote:It was funny when they said they're making the gameplay exactly as it was 10 years ago like that's such a great thing, because that means that either they're downgrading or they're admitting that the quality has been degrading over time :P
I think what they were trying to display was that they'd kept the game-unique mechanics of Halos 1 and 2 in their remakes, so that people who enjoyed those mechanics wouldn't miss out. (Also, it saves them the effort of re-balancing the game for the Reach/4 weapons.) Iirc, they're adding in better AI and a revamped engine, although I'm not sure if those will carry over between graphical modes or if the engine will remain the same.

So, all that to say, it's not that the gameplay quality has decreased with time (After all, ODST and Reach were pretty great), but they're marketing on a combination of good looks and nostalgia. Frankly, I think Halo 2 needed this. It's pretty dated-looking.

And hell, you all know how much I hate the Xbone, but honestly, I might actually consider getting one just for this set of games, if an emulator doesn't come out soon. I'm extremely wary about the direction Halo is going with 5, but that's not relevant to this topic. I loved Master Chief's series, and I'd love to be able to play it fully with a better visual style.

I am become salt, destroyer of memes

Join the Unofficial 2k Discord Channel!

HeckobA
Master

#4 Post by HeckobA »

I admit if I had an Xbox or if this was on PC I'd get it in a flash.
I've only ever played the first Halo, but totally loved it and wish I could play the other games...
ImageImage

Myperson54
The Imagineer

#5 Post by Myperson54 »

HeckobA wrote:I admit if I had an Xbox or if this was on PC I'd get it in a flash.
I've only ever played the first Halo, but totally loved it and wish I could play the other games...
You can play Halo 2 if you're on a Windows OS Vista or above, but that's the highest it goes, and even at that, it's rather dated. You really do notice it. I'd love to be able to play 3 through 4 as well, so I see this as an easy way to play two of those extra four, plus revamped content.

I am become salt, destroyer of memes

Join the Unofficial 2k Discord Channel!

HeckobA
Master

#6 Post by HeckobA »

I once had a Halo 2 PC version... which didn't work. Probably because I had XP (or did I...)? Either way, I don't have it any more, sadly.
ImageImage

The Rookie
Grand Templar

#7 Post by The Rookie »

It suddenly reoccurred to me that the second level of Halo 2's campaign was set in New Mombassa, which in ODST had a massive shift in the environmental design from a dusty, brown and kind of run down look to a thriving metropolis which was kind of as a look back at the original E3 demo that had to be cut due to hardware/time restraints. I wonder how that's going to affect those levels in the anniversary edition.
Nothing ventured, nothing gained.

Nuff
The One With the Ears

#8 Post by Nuff »

I remember when they didnt remake/re-release games.... *sigh* I miss those times

Winter-huntsman
Templar

#9 Post by Winter-huntsman »

Ya, I would be interested in buying this halo set up if I owned a xbox one. Though I am glad they came out with halo for the xbox one they still don't have reach for it yet. I'm more excited about the new game though. Does anyone know if there will be a version of it for xbox360.
"Don't only practice your art, but force your way into its secrets, for it and knowledge can raise men to the divine"-Ludwig van Beethoven

Winter-huntsman
Templar

#10 Post by Winter-huntsman »

Well looks like it might be awhile before I buy a xbox one so I'll just cross my fingers and hope for a halo miracle. I hope they bring halo reach to xbox one then I probaly get one.
"Don't only practice your art, but force your way into its secrets, for it and knowledge can raise men to the divine"-Ludwig van Beethoven