Xbox, PS, PC, Etc.

For all your seizure inducing goodness!

Moderator: Moderators

Message
Author
User avatar
The Secret Forum Mod
Posts: 1944
Joined: Sat May 03, 2014 12:07 am
Location: Montana
Favorite Character: Natani

Xbox, PS, PC, Etc.

#1 Post by Him » Mon May 12, 2014 5:36 am

I'm surprised this hasn't been addressed yet. I know it hasn't, I looked through all of the pages.

Everybody has their favorite gaming platform. Be it PS, Xbox, PC, Wii, or DS. My question is what's your favorite of them all? Why is it your favorite? Will that ever change?

Mine personally is Xbox, currently. Though with the Oculus Rift being developed as fast as it is, my hopes of VR gaming are coming true. So I might actually shift over to PC. Especially if we ever get a full-dive virtual reality system. That would be well worth the money I'd sink into it.

User avatar
Templar Inner Circle
Posts: 3765
Joined: Fri Jan 07, 2011 8:16 pm
Location: 不滅の神天皇の名の下に殺しグリーン大群の真ん中に!
Contact:

Re: Xbox, PS, PC, Etc.

#2 Post by SirSlaughter » Mon May 12, 2014 6:10 am

Oh no, this is gonna get bad.

PC MASTER RACE!
:-D

Anyway, yeah I used to do the 360 and was a super fanboy about it, but I knew that PC was better all around and after building my computer I confirmed my predictions and have never looked back.
Triple 24" monitors and a GPU to power it all has left me so happy playing my games with good framerate, better resolution, and with 3 [censored] monitors! Surround FTW! I also have Professional studio monitors hooked up to this thing through a pre-sonus interface so when I am not wearing my headset I get amazing sound through those. It isn't BOSE but that's what I have my 2nd gaming PC behind my 46" LED TV for.

Was it expensive? yes, but it is worth every penny.

User avatar
The Secret Forum Mod
Posts: 1944
Joined: Sat May 03, 2014 12:07 am
Location: Montana
Favorite Character: Natani

Re: Xbox, PS, PC, Etc.

#3 Post by Him » Mon May 12, 2014 6:58 am

That is definitely a perk of being a PC gamer, all of the customization. Also yes, you can build your own PC. That's another reason for me switching over.

User avatar
Envy x Banned Forever
Posts: 1606
Joined: Wed May 12, 2010 10:50 pm
Location: Back in the Yamaku Dorms, cuddlin' it up with Emi where I belong.
Contact:

Re: Xbox, PS, PC, Etc.

#4 Post by Envy661 » Mon May 12, 2014 7:37 am

I switched over to PC from console gaming when I realized there was absolutely no reason to pay a monthly fee to play games that I could be playing for free. On top of that, there is a significantly greater variety of games available for PC, everything is backwards compatible, and I don't have to upgrade to a new console every couple of years when the new xbox 360 elite, or xbox 360 slim, or xbone comes out. I don't have to worry about the joke of the kinect or PS move. We get perks like the Oculous Rift and the ability to custom-build our machine from scratch to our exact specifications. Also, the statement that PC gaming is too expensive is a total farce. I paid $400 for my laptop and I've been using it for 3 years now. It was low-end when I bought it, and there are few games I can't play.

Grant it, I miss First Person Shooters, Halo, and GTA V from console, but those alone are far from warranting any desire of going back. Everything is just better on PC. Every time I look back at why I console gamed, I realized that it was just because I was too immature to admit there was a better gaming platform out there. And that's primarily what it is. People are either just too immature to admit PC gaming is better, or they just aren't avid gamers to begin with. And they're gonna be porting Halo 2 and 3 to Steam, so...

I still have my Classic Playstation. Was probably my favorite Console. That or the Gamecube. But if I ever miss an older game, well... That's why there's emulators. No need to buy a console ever again.
ɔıƃol ʎʌuǝ ǝsnɐɔǝq
Image
deviantART | Steam Account | Forum Sigs | Otaku Streamers
Message me for access to the Twokinds Unoffical Official Skype Chat!

User avatar
Overlord of Space & Time
Posts: 1465
Joined: Wed Apr 30, 2014 3:32 am
Location: Somewhere between life, death, and a grilled cheese sandwich.

Re: Xbox, PS, PC, Etc.

#5 Post by DarkTheImmortal » Mon May 12, 2014 12:11 pm

PC. all the best games from each console can be played on PC.

User avatar
Grand Templar
Posts: 1332
Joined: Mon Dec 09, 2013 3:34 am
Location: Australia

Re: Xbox, PS, PC, Etc.

#6 Post by The Rookie » Mon May 12, 2014 12:38 pm

DarkTheImmortal wrote:PC. all the best games from each console can be played on PC.
*Cough* GTA5 *Cough* Halo Reach *Cough* Probably some PS Stuff *Cough*

In all seriousness though, I've always been an Xbox person. Although, I have played a fair few RTS games on my humble little laptop.
Honestly, I'm just not smart enough to build a PC of my own. I can see the appeal for some of those super graphically advanced games or those with massive server numbers, but the majority of the time I'm just happy to play them on my little ol' Slim 360, even if they're a little dumbed down.
Nothing ventured, nothing gained.

Image
Image

User avatar
Literary Artist
Posts: 1116
Joined: Thu Jan 26, 2012 11:43 pm
Location: Somewhere around Verbana
Contact:

Re: Xbox, PS, PC, Etc.

#7 Post by Akira110 » Mon May 12, 2014 12:44 pm

I've said this before and I'll say it again. Though I am a console lover because of the ease of setting one up and the convenience of one, I also play retro PC games on my PC. Why only retro games? Because the games of today bore the ever loving [censored] out of me with only a few exceptions because of lazy developers wasting most of their budget on how to make the game prettier, and any game that the PC has that I'd bother with, I could get on a console. So I fail to see the point of going into debt to get the parts for a PC, when all I'd really be getting out of it are prettier graphics and mods for games, which I only view as a novelty, rather than extending the life of my game(And before anyone even tries to argue this point, I've tried using mods to games I have, the total extension of life to the game for me... was 5 minutes for an EXTENSIVE mod...). However it's like I say, if you like PCs and can afford your own, more power to you. If you like consoles and can afford the best, more power to you. But if you're an elitist on either side, then please refrain from speaking to me about the topic of video games.
Been around this forum for over 8 years now. Everyone I've known has left, now it's my time to do the same.

User avatar
Grand Templar
Posts: 1690
Joined: Thu Mar 14, 2013 8:16 pm
Location: Coventry-Khorinis-Mulgore
Contact:

Re: Xbox, PS, PC, Etc.

#8 Post by Zylver » Mon May 12, 2014 4:30 pm

PC.

I only knew that first, I only play on that now (*cough* 4 year old Acer laptop *cough*) and I can only imagine my future gaming on that platform... at least I hope so :roll:
Image

Of the four elements, air, earth, water, and fire, man stole only one from the gods.
Fire.
And with it, man forged his will upon the world.
- Anonymus

User avatar
Templar GrandMaster
Posts: 807
Joined: Thu Sep 20, 2012 2:59 am
Location: *Insert witty location joke here*

Re: Xbox, PS, PC, Etc.

#9 Post by Ketzal » Mon May 12, 2014 4:32 pm

Envy661 wrote: I still have my Classic Playstation. Was probably my favorite Console. That or the Gamecube. But if I ever miss an older game, well... That's why there's emulators. No need to buy a console ever again.
Up until you want to play something made for the PS2. Good luck figuring that out :P

Actually, I've found (thanks to my brother) that the Wii is really good for emulating a ton of old console games, from NES to n64 and even Gamecube. Yeah, it's mostly Nintendo consoles, but they're one of the reasons I still play console in the first place.

That, and the fact that I can rely on those instead of having to upgrade my hardware just to play a game. It's frustrating to get a game that looks awesome, only to find out that you don't have the right video card for it >_<

I still play on PC too. Honestly, I like playing on both platforms, because they both have pros and cons. I don't get the whole "PC Master Race" or "Console Elitist" views S:P

User avatar
Templar Inner Circle
Posts: 3765
Joined: Fri Jan 07, 2011 8:16 pm
Location: 不滅の神天皇の名の下に殺しグリーン大群の真ん中に!
Contact:

Re: Xbox, PS, PC, Etc.

#10 Post by SirSlaughter » Mon May 12, 2014 7:09 pm

Akira110 wrote: However it's like I say, if you like PCs and can afford your own, more power to you.he s If you like consoles and can afford the best, more power to you. But if you're an elitist on either side, then please refrain from speaking to me about the topic of video games.
Wait...did I read that wrong or did I just detect some contradiction in that last sentence?
You claim that if you are an elitist to any degree then we should STFU but then you claim that the consoles are the best and that PC is just a gimmick (Or at lest the benefits are).

I can smell the flames coming...It smells...glorious.

EDIT: I just remembered.

When you get a gaming PC or you build one, you don't just have a gaming machine. You have a do everything machine that can browse the internet, do worksheets, do schoolwork, set up businesses, use it as a server, you can use it as a streaming device with up to many TBs of memory so you don't have to carry around a giant box of CDs or VHS tapes (If you have movies that old that you want digitally), you can use up to 24 monitors depending on how massive your rig is and if you have Eyefinity software by using ATI cards (I work with government to provide parts that allow them to do this so I would know), you can use computers to do advanced calculations that consoles cannot do, and there are just so many other applications to them that I can't think of right now so mark that as a million points to PCs in terms of worth for the amount you pay.

BUT as strictly a gaming device, then yeah all we really get is mod support, better graphics, smoother framerates, and support for multiple monitors along with really REALLY nice peripherals, as well as custom work (LEDs, pretty fans, paint) without voiding warranties of parts, and...wait. That's a lot actually.

Not trying to be a dick (If I sound like I am sorry) but I can just do so much with my rig and it's been such an amazing experience that I just can't support consoles to the same degree as I used to.

EDIT AGAIN:
Fubar de Lizzy wrote:
Envy661 wrote: I still have my Classic Playstation. Was probably my favorite Console. That or the Gamecube. But if I ever miss an older game, well... That's why there's emulators. No need to buy a console ever again.
Up until you want to play something made for the PS2. Good luck figuring that out :P

Actually, I've found (thanks to my brother) that the Wii is really good for emulating a ton of old console games, from NES to n64 and even Gamecube. Yeah, it's mostly Nintendo consoles, but they're one of the reasons I still play console in the first place.

That, and the fact that I can rely on those instead of having to upgrade my hardware just to play a game. It's frustrating to get a game that looks awesome, only to find out that you don't have the right video card for it >_<

I still play on PC too. Honestly, I like playing on both platforms, because they both have pros and cons. I don't get the whole "PC Master Race" or "Console Elitist" views S:P
Emulators bro. the 360 emulators are slowly starting to roll out and it's just a matter of time before people start really making them work on PC well.
As for the upgrading thing: Don't skimp on the parts and they will last you forever. I have my computer being upgraded a lot because I love the building aspect and the fun for me is just that, building the computers and playing with what I have build and upgrading. It's exciting to me. But get a good Proc and GPU and you are set for a long LONG time.

User avatar
Templar Inner Circle
Posts: 3133
Joined: Tue Apr 20, 2010 12:51 am
Location: The land of beavers and maple syrup.

Re: Xbox, PS, PC, Etc.

#11 Post by Tyendinaga » Mon May 12, 2014 7:22 pm

Fubar de Lizzy wrote:
Envy661 wrote: I still have my Classic Playstation. Was probably my favorite Console. That or the Gamecube. But if I ever miss an older game, well... That's why there's emulators. No need to buy a console ever again.
Up until you want to play something made for the PS2. Good luck figuring that out :PP
Just wanted to note that there is a pretty good PS2 Emulator available which seems to run Okay. Called PCSX2. Not sure how the hardware requirements are though, it used to be laggy in the past but it's gotten better as of late.

User avatar
Templar GrandMaster
Posts: 807
Joined: Thu Sep 20, 2012 2:59 am
Location: *Insert witty location joke here*

Re: Xbox, PS, PC, Etc.

#12 Post by Ketzal » Mon May 12, 2014 7:31 pm

SirSlaughter wrote: As for the upgrading thing: Don't skimp on the parts and they will last you forever. I have my computer being upgraded a lot because I love the building aspect and the fun for me is just that, building the computers and playing with what I have build and upgrading. It's exciting to me. But get a good Proc and GPU and you are set for a long LONG time.
Alright Alright, 2 things here.

1: What exactly was contradictory about Akira's post? He said he still plays PC games, just retro stuff because he doesn't like he graphics and mods of modern stuff. Maybe it's an issue of perspective, but I don't see him being elitist there...

2: True, but what if I don't have any money, for the upgrades or the initial product that will last? I was lucky enough to have a PS3 before I got into the rut of being sucked dry by bills, and so far I haven't needed to upgrade that at all to play games that I get for it. It's true that I can eventually save up enough for it, but I like that you don't really have to worry about it as much for consoles.

Edit:
Tyendinaga wrote: Just wanted to note that there is a pretty good PS2 Emulator available which seems to run Okay. Called PCSX2. Not sure how the hardware requirements are though, it used to be laggy in the past but it's gotten better as of late.
yeah, that was the emulator I was referencing, but if it is doing better I'll have to check it out again sometime.

User avatar
Templar Inner Circle
Posts: 3765
Joined: Fri Jan 07, 2011 8:16 pm
Location: 不滅の神天皇の名の下に殺しグリーン大群の真ん中に!
Contact:

Re: Xbox, PS, PC, Etc.

#13 Post by SirSlaughter » Mon May 12, 2014 7:43 pm

For number 1: I said it in my post. He says that if you are an elitist the not to talk but then he makes a point to say that consoles are best compared to the pc just being...if you can afford one then cool for you.

As for the affordability thing, well yes you do have me on there. If you cannot afford a fancy schmancy PC then hey console it is. I mean I would prefer everyone have a PC because then support for PC titles would skyrocket and such.

However like I said, you aren't just paying for a strictly gaming platform, you are paying for something that can do so much more than gaming. However, the point of the thread was to ask what do you use for gaming and why. So yeah you got me there.

Now specs wise, I could out-build an Xbox 360 or PS3 for roughly the same price or maybe cheaper depending on how I go about it, but their OS is streamlined for gaming. This is why their DDR3 GPUs are able to make games look so good despite these things being like 10 years old. Hell, the new Xbox One still has a DDR3 GPU, the PS4 though has a modern DDR5 GPU which will show off in the long run so I'm excited to see how that plays out. But with the Introduction of the STEAMBOX and the STEAM OS there is gonna be some competition with them. Or at least I hope there will be. They combine the affordability of consoles and the streamlined OS allowing pretty games with low end hardware with the upgradability of PCs and all the benefits of PCs in general including multi monitor support, better graphics, higher frame rates, Mouse+Keyboard controls along with standard gamepads, aftermarket peripherals, and other stuff.

User avatar
Templar GrandMaster
Posts: 807
Joined: Thu Sep 20, 2012 2:59 am
Location: *Insert witty location joke here*

Re: Xbox, PS, PC, Etc.

#14 Post by Ketzal » Mon May 12, 2014 7:51 pm

SirSlaughter wrote:But with the Introduction of the STEAMBOX and the STEAM OS there is gonna be some competition with them. Or at least I hope there will be. They combine the affordability of consoles and the streamlined OS allowing pretty games with low end hardware with the upgradability of PCs and all the benefits of PCs in general including multi monitor support, better graphics, higher frame rates, Mouse+Keyboard controls along with standard gamepads, aftermarket peripherals, and other stuff.
Yeah, you got a point there. As long as Nintendo stays afloat, however, my preference leans towards the original consoles ;P

NOT saying that I don't like playing on the PC. Wouldn't exactly have all that playing time on TF2 otherwise >.>

User avatar
Envy x Banned Forever
Posts: 1606
Joined: Wed May 12, 2010 10:50 pm
Location: Back in the Yamaku Dorms, cuddlin' it up with Emi where I belong.
Contact:

Re: Xbox, PS, PC, Etc.

#15 Post by Envy661 » Mon May 12, 2014 7:58 pm

Fubar de Lizzy wrote: 2: True, but what if I don't have any money, for the upgrades or the initial product that will last? I was lucky enough to have a PS3 before I got into the rut of being sucked dry by bills, and so far I haven't needed to upgrade that at all to play games that I get for it. It's true that I can eventually save up enough for it, but I like that you don't really have to worry about it as much for consoles.
Here is my issue with this:
If you have the money for a console, you have the money for at least a laptop that will last you a few years. In fact, the duration that I've had this $400 laptop of mine actually lasted longer than the first xbox 360 I had. Newer console break more easily when maintained properly. In fact, they tend to break down more easily than a properly maintained laptop. My first xbox lasted a year and a half. My second xbox lasted 3. My current xbox is going on a couple years. Meanwhile, my laptop is going on 3-years old. I've been using it every day, 10 hours a day. Sometimes I leave it on overnight. I leave it in hibernate instead of shutting it down. I have a fan base for it, but other than that, I'm pretty brutal on it. Since I've had it. I had to reformat it once, was able to keep my game saves when I did so, and it is still going strong and shows no signs of stopping any time soon. It never gets too hot. It's only overheated once. This laptop, if it wasn't for the fact that I may need to upgrade for performance (or want to, anyway. It isn't essential), I would probably be using this for another 3-5 years. Making it last about as long as the entire lifespan of a modern console.

Really, using the excuse "A PC costs too much" is just that: An excuse. If you can't save up $400 to get a decent laptop, but can spend that much on a new console (Or $299 on a PS3), then you're probably not comparing costs properly.

Also, games are cheaper on PC. excluding Steam, Humble Bundle, and GOG sales, it wasn't until a couple years ago that PC games started selling for $60. Most still release at $50. Plus, PC is an indie game heaven.

EDIT: And again, like Slaughter said, PCs are used for a lot more than just gaming. So you get much more bang for your buck.
ɔıƃol ʎʌuǝ ǝsnɐɔǝq
Image
deviantART | Steam Account | Forum Sigs | Otaku Streamers
Message me for access to the Twokinds Unoffical Official Skype Chat!

Post Reply