Omg Steambox

For all your seizure inducing goodness!

Moderator: Moderators

Myperson54
The Imagineer

Omg Steambox

#1 Post by Myperson54 »

So I've always been a skeptic about the steambox, but here's the thing: There was an iFixit teardown recently, and they released the coolest info ever. (I somehow feel like Slaughter is gonna like this :P )
http://www.ifixit.com/Teardown/Steam+Ma ... down/20473

It has a:
1TB SSD
Geforce GTX 780, with 3GB GDDR5 VRAM
3.2GHz i5-4570 CPU (maximum OC speed of 3.6GHz)
Asrock Z87E-ITX Mini-ITX mobo
Crucial Ballistix Sport 8 GB DDR3 RAM
Silverstone 80+ Gold PSU
Zalman CPNS2X CPU Cooler

So all in all, this is better than anything I could afford normally, but I might just get one of these when they come out. Who else is considering it?

I am become salt, destroyer of memes

Join the Unofficial 2k Discord Channel!

Envy661
Envy x Banned Forever
Location: Back in the Yamaku Dorms, cuddlin' it up with Emi where I belong.

Re: Omg Steambox

#2 Post by Envy661 »

I wanted to get a Steam Machine, but then I saw the prices of the unofficial variants....

This has been all over the place of sorts, but so long as the official content is still quality, and priced accordingly with the console market, I'll remain hopeful that they're not massively [censored] everything up.

If it's more than $1000, and definitely if it's $6000 like some of the other steambox models, you've completely lost the point of making a console, and lost me as a customer. I'd rather build a gaming PC for less.
ɔıƃol ʎʌuǝ ǝsnɐɔǝq
deviantART | Steam Account | Forum Sigs | Otaku Streamers
Message me for access to the Twokinds Unoffical Official Skype Chat!

SirSlaughter
Templar Inner Circle

Re: Omg Steambox

#3 Post by SirSlaughter »

um..they have variants for a reason. the $500 version (this is the Ibuypower model) has enough to play any game currently out at max and still be stable.
the other variants that cost up to $1000 and more are basically extreme PCs that are basically made to be ridiculous. some people don't want a console, some want an overpriced pre-built computer. This is why alienware is still in business along with Ibuypower and cyberpower and all those others.

Anyway. I love the fact that the steambox is gonna be in full swing. They unveiled these things at the CES in Las vegas and they have been a huge hit. This is gonna pave the way for developers to start developing a stronger market in the PC area. This means we will see more games that are PC optimized and set up to be so. Which means the damned standard console market isn't gonna be holding games back anymore in terms of graphics, mods, and all sorts of other things.

I will never buy a steambox as they are literally computers in small cases with different flavors to match up to different wallet sizes, But I am very happy that they are being made.

also, that 1TB SSD isn't actually a 1TB SSd. it's got I believe it said 8GB of SSD storage for your most used files where the rest is standard 5200RPM HDD storage.
The biggest thing for me is that 780 GPU. I own a 770 and It's by far the best thing I have ever had the pleasure of putting into my PC within the last year. I know that this little box can handle any game out there just fine. It can even do multiple monitors.

Can standard consoles do that? Nope.