PS4

For all your seizure inducing goodness!

Moderator: Moderators

DragonTamer1
Apprentice
Location: Filling the skies with burning wreckage from my doomed plane

PS4

#1 Post by DragonTamer1 »

A recent dispute with my brother has left me unable to play the most recent Assassin's Creed games since he technically owns the xBox. Having a job now (ie; rolling in more money than I know what to do with) I've decided to buy a PS4. Everything I've seen and read about it looks promising but I know that every new system has bugs to be worked out of it. Not being a huge console gamer, I don't know how long I should hold off buying it for all the bugs to be worked out. I was thinking about two weeks but I'm not sure that will be enough time.

Does anyone have anything they would like to share?

ButterBall
Grand Templar

Re: PS4

#2 Post by ButterBall »

I've heard that the rule of thumb with buying new electronics is to never buy it day one. A waiting period may vary between who you ask, but I'd probably wait 1-2 months to see what problems crop up and what the company plans to do about them.

Personally, I'd like my next console to be a Wii-U but my money is currently going towards a new computer since my last venture to fix up my 4-5 year old computer left me worse off than when I started.
*Used to be a guy people knew at one time.*
Avatar by druanderson. Some things are very NSFW.

bond84
Stick Animator

#3 Post by bond84 »

Had to double check before I made a thread of my own for this.
I just picked mine up tonight, surfing all the game stuff right now.

I personally was going to hold off until Christmas but upon learning they wouldn't have any until early march? I couldn't stand for that...

PSN: EquinoxFox

I think...Never used a playstation before so I assume that is what it is.
Would love to have a sig but I don't have anything sig worthy to be honest...

ButterBall
Grand Templar

#4 Post by ButterBall »

bond84 wrote:Had to double check before I made a thread of my own for this.
I just picked mine up tonight, surfing all the game stuff right now.

I personally was going to hold off until Christmas but upon learning they wouldn't have any until early march? I couldn't stand for that...

PSN: EquinoxFox

I think...Never used a playstation before so I assume that is what it is.
Keep us updated? I'm curious to know what's what with it.
*Used to be a guy people knew at one time.*
Avatar by druanderson. Some things are very NSFW.

Jan125
Citizen

#5 Post by Jan125 »

There was a playstation 4 at the tech store next door, so I had the chance to test it a bit.
The controller is better than all dualshocks before in terms of the analog sticks. Of course, the missing start and select buttons are a negative factor. :<

Graphics are quite well, but, there is one fatal flaw in the game I tested, the same flaw from that almost ALL late PS3-titles suffer:
The framerate isn't constant at 60 FPS. (Game: Knack)
I'd rather have graphics that are a bit more dull than having to deal with framerate issues. :/

DragonTamer1
Apprentice

#6 Post by DragonTamer1 »

Frame rate dips are something that I'm used to in gaming (comes from crappy computer graphics card). I can cope with it as long as it stays above 30 FPS the whole time. I don't know of a way to check the FPS other than with external recording software.

Problem with the frame rate is that the game designers are trying to get more out of outdated hardware. It may say it will hold a steady frame rate but if you push it too hard it will suffer for it. You weren't by any chance playing COD Ghosts were you? They've said there was an issue with particle effects and frame rates that they have released a patch for.

Jan125
Citizen

#7 Post by Jan125 »

Ghosts would burn my graphics card to ashes, make my CPU explode, and my HDD leak fluids that shouldn't have been in there in the first place.
(Referring to slightly impossible System minima.)

I'm used to low framerates as well, but consoles should be at a steady 60Hz alright.
Or 50Hz, good ol' PAL~...!

bond84
Stick Animator

#8 Post by bond84 »

Alright back with a small update on the wonders of this system.
After toying with it for quite some time, my conclusion is that this is single handedly the best system I've used to date. The UI is crisp, you can download things while playing games, you can set up party chats on a dime. Everything is just simply very very crisp.

Also found out that with me getting PS-Plus or whatever it's called, there were a few free games I could pick up that definitely shouldn't be free. They are waaay too good.

Other fun thing I found out is that I can stream straight up from my twitch account by hitting this handy dandy "Share" button on my controller.
Would love to have a sig but I don't have anything sig worthy to be honest...

Zylver
Grand Templar

#9 Post by Zylver »

Of the four elements, air, earth, water, and fire, man stole only one from the gods.
Fire.
And with it, man forged his will upon the world.
- Anonymus

DragonTamer1
Apprentice

#10 Post by DragonTamer1 »

SirSlaughter
Templar Inner Circle

#11 Post by SirSlaughter »

ok just in case. This may not be true for the tech stores that some people may have around the area. But let's say you stop by a Gamestop to play the PS4.
The framerate isn't at constant 60FPS, the reason for that is because you aren't actually playing a PS4. You are staring at an empty shell of a PS4 while the games are actually being played on another device within the test unit. (I know this because I helped build the PS4 display this year).

So do not worry about the framerate problems. The great news is that my assistant manager at the Gamestop played battlefield 4 all night the day it came out, and not a single problem was had. The frames did not dip a single bit and his words were "It was a buttery smooth experience last night...I'm gonna go make love to my PS4 tonight to celebrate."

I'm not sure if it's the same thing with some other stores but if it's an official sony display, it's not an actual PS4. (They do this for security reasons and if someone steals it then the jokes on them).

It's was the same with the PS3 display as well. I didn't know it until we took it apart to make room for the PS4. It was an empty shell. (I wanted to make a computer out of it but they wouldn't let me have it.

HeckobA
Master

#12 Post by HeckobA »

That was horrifying (;_;)
ImageImage
-~☼ Look! It's my Steam Profile! ☼~-

judah4
The Cookie Dragon
Fav. Twokinds Character: Nora

#13 Post by judah4 »

HeckobA wrote:
That was horrifying (;_;)
That was awesome! painful but cool. I cant wait till he nukes the XBONE :P

Envy661
Envy x Banned Forever
Location: Back in the Yamaku Dorms, cuddlin' it up with Emi where I belong.

#14 Post by Envy661 »

My only advice to anyone would probably be to hold off until the Steam Machine comes out in 2014. Mainly because of how consoles like the PS4 and XBONE are handling themselves. Microsoft and Sony are making a lot of Anti-Gamer mistakes, especially in regards to backwards compatibility, primarily because they're trying to compete with the already existing project. Meanwhile, we are at the precipice where that shouldn't even be an issue so long as the games stack up. The entire premise behind upgrading hardware is to handle a level of content significantly higher than the previous hardware variation. Just like when we moved from the Playstation to the PS2, or from the SNES to the N64. Trying to compete with an already existing console is rather pointless when in the end, primarily due to flawed logic of the situation.
Gamers will inevitably get the new console in order to play new games. All preventing backwards compatibility does is force them to keep the old console longer, until better stuff comes out for the new product. After all, if you can't play your dozens of old games on the new console, which may have only roughly a handful of good titles out thusfar for it, wouldn't that defer you to hold off on getting the new console? Especially when you consider the fact that most of the newer games will still be released for the older system as it is.

That's why I'm loving the concept of the Steam Machine. Aside from a revolutionary new controller design (And not something blatantly retarded like the Wii's Nun-chuck), it also has a basis of being a PC-based operated console housing the Steam Library you have already been building for yourself. Anything you have on Steam can be played on the new console, and it will stay that way.

And for one final note: Unlike consoles like the PS4 and XBONE, Steam supports one other key feature that I'm sure you're all forgetting - The Steam Workshop.
While I prefer Nexus for my mods, the general idea of a mod-friendly console is something gravely overdue in today's market, and it's nice to see the premise existing for the Steam Machine.

So my best advice to you and to anyone is to not even worry about the PS4 or XBONE. I was a hardcore console gamer for the longest time, so I can tell you modern consoles just aren't really worth it anymore. Save your money, read more into the Steam machine, and see if that's for you, before choosing your console.
ɔıƃol ʎʌuǝ ǝsnɐɔǝq
deviantART | Steam Account | Forum Sigs | Otaku Streamers
Message me for access to the Twokinds Unoffical Official Skype Chat!

Nuff
The One With the Ears

#15 Post by Nuff »

Only problem I see with the steam machine is knowing which one to get. It suffers in the same way the PC gaming suffers in that you are able to purchase games you may not be able to play (depending on your specs). This is something that cannot happen with a regular console.