Capcom nearly bankrupt.

For all your seizure inducing goodness!

Moderator: Moderators

Akira110
Literary Artist

Capcom nearly bankrupt.

#1 Post by Akira110 »

Gaming related yes, considering Capcom makes video games. But because of the business practices of Capcom, they only have 152 million dollars in the bank. And they have decided that there will be more On-Disc DLC to come, as they believe it is what is making them money, when in reality it is what is causing them to lose money in the first place. So chances are, Capcom will go under. This is a bad thing. Now some of you might be asking, "Why is it a bad thing? I mean they are a horrid company, it should be a good thing." Well, the entire industry will be affected by the loss of Capcom, and I don't just mean console gaming, ALL non-indie Developers will feel the effects of Capcom going under, why? Capcom is extremely famous, even non-gamers know about them, unfortunately because of their current business decisions, they WILL go bankrupt within the next few years.
Been around this forum for over 8 years now. Everyone I've known has left, now it's my time to do the same.

Zylver
Grand Templar

Re: Capcom nearly bankrupt.

#2 Post by Zylver »

Hah, and they said that with the new Devil May Cry reboot, they can aim for other target audience (aka the younger generations, making Dante look like and EMO crybaby...) But it seems like that totally backfired to them 8) Which is I think a very big shame on them, considering how awesome game Devil May Cry is! :(
I hope the end of Capcom won't mean the end of Devil May Cry (and other great names) in the future, but if that happens, I wish the new developers/publishers would return to the original line of the game 8)

Of the four elements, air, earth, water, and fire, man stole only one from the gods.
Fire.
And with it, man forged his will upon the world.
- Anonymus

Schrodinger
Worth 1000 Words

#3 Post by Schrodinger »

“I regret to say that, up to now, we had few plans for the full-scale implementation of DLC.” From here on out, we need to focus on the long-term provision of content starting at the earliest stages of development. Furthermore, in terms of user response, if the additional related content we are providing continually to users online is deemed uninteresting from the start, there will be no ongoing business to pursue. This means that, more than ever before, the creation of underlying content is the key to success.” - COO Haruhiro Tsujimoto
Stubborn pride and near-sighted stupidity. DLC will not fix their critical lack of funds.
What was it the spider said to the fly...

judah4
The Cookie Dragon
Fav. Twokinds Character: Nora

#4 Post by judah4 »

If they go under, they go under. Someone will pick up their ips and continue developing them like what happened with thq and saints row.

EvilNinjadude
Templar Inner Circle

#5 Post by EvilNinjadude »

judah4 wrote:If they go under, they go under. Someone will pick up their ips and continue developing them like what happened with thq and saints row.
Let us hope it will be for the better.

Envy661
Envy x Banned Forever
Location: Back in the Yamaku Dorms, cuddlin' it up with Emi where I belong.

#6 Post by Envy661 »

To be honest, I can't even remember the last time I owned or even played a Capcom game. I think it was Resident Evil 5 that I lost faith. Not in Capcom, but in that series owned by them. Now we have Dead Space which did everything Resident Evil originally tried to do, at least slightly, in a different worldspace.

If Capcom goes under, with what they've been doing, it won't be a huge loss. We've had too many companies sell out these days. I think the time of major publisher-backed games is coming to an end. In the next 10 years I believe the majority of all the top games (excluding indie titles) will have achieved that through things like Kickstarter.

We've lost Bioware to EA. THQ went under. Capcom is making Call of Duty level mistakes. It truly is the end of an era. After 14 years of gaming, that fact is obvious.
ɔıƃol ʎʌuǝ ǝsnɐɔǝq
deviantART | Steam Account | Forum Sigs | Otaku Streamers
Message me for access to the Twokinds Unoffical Official Skype Chat!

tony1695
Weaver of Tales

#7 Post by tony1695 »

Like everyone else has been saying, Capcom brought this down upon themselves. The only problem I can see is that the lack of competition will let other developers think they can be lax, which would result in a general decrease in the quality of gaming. You can argue all you want about how that's already happening, but with a heavy hitter (or former heavy hitter, as the case may be) going under, the process might be accelerated.
Hopefully, this won't result in ANOTHER Great Video Game Crash, like the one in 1983.
Gentlementlemen
How do you get to the Rakdos Guild Hall?
You take the psycho path.
Weed la Weed Warning: WEIRD

Insomniac
The Experienced Virgin
Fav. Twokinds Character: Natani

#8 Post by Insomniac »

Envy661 wrote:We've lost Bioware to EA. THQ went under. Capcom is making Call of Duty level mistakes. It truly is the end of an era. After 14 years of gaming, that fact is obvious.
On an unrelated note, whenever I see someone hating on Call of Duty, I ask myself, are they saying it because they have reasons, or because it's Call of Duty? But anyway.

Gotta be honest here, I'm not at all surprised that Capcom is going under. I AM however surprised that it didn't happen to EA first. Damn sports games, keeping a horrible company alive well beyond its prime...
From the Sergals and Sergal Lovers channel of F-List's chat system (Beyond NSFW, by the way): Honey, you ain't the only abnormal sergal in here. We got three pink northerns, a fairy, and a dork with a talking sword.

SirSlaughter
Templar Inner Circle

#9 Post by SirSlaughter »

Why can't this happen to EA!? WHY!? Don't get me wrong. I truly dislike Capcom to a very high degree because of their foul business practices, but at the same time...Megaman battle network series and starforce...That's what sparked my childlike love for technology amongst other things. I will truly mourn for their departure as I carry a heavy heart for the loss of THQ.

The end of an era is near and I am both happy I was part of it, and sad that the world will never be the same as the giants of entertainment fall one by one due to their own arrogance and pride. I hope this will not be the case and the giants realize what is happenng to them.

Lief
No hugs, I asplode.
Fav. Twokinds Character: Raine

#10 Post by Lief »

SirSlaughter wrote:I hope this will not be the case and the giants realize what is happenng to them.
Just so long as EA falls before that.

Envy661
Envy x Banned Forever

#11 Post by Envy661 »

Insomniac wrote:
Envy661 wrote:We've lost Bioware to EA. THQ went under. Capcom is making Call of Duty level mistakes. It truly is the end of an era. After 14 years of gaming, that fact is obvious.
On an unrelated note, whenever I see someone hating on Call of Duty, I ask myself, are they saying it because they have reasons, or because it's Call of Duty? But anyway.

Gotta be honest here, I'm not at all surprised that Capcom is going under. I AM however surprised that it didn't happen to EA first. Damn sports games, keeping a horrible company alive well beyond its prime...

I could make a 30-point bulletin on the reasons I hate Call of Duty. I used to be a CoD fanboy back before Modern Warfare 2 started the slow burn to the death of the franchise (quality-wise).
On another note, If you're truly thinking the gaming industry isn't already crashing, you're crazy. We were in a gaming recession not too long ago, with the only decent series(s) coming out being games like Mass Effect or Dead Space. Look at what became of Resident Evil, Call of Duty, Battlefield 3 after Premium, Star Wars: The Old Republic. Remember Homefront? We've had good titles, but nothing extraordinary in some time, and the First Person Shooter genre has pretty much been at a stand-still for years now, with the only things really changing it on any level being Planetside and Blacklight, and not even those really do much to push the genre ahead. Mass Effect was a space age (and actually enjoyable version) of Gears of War in a sense. The overall feel reminded me of that. It's why I'm glad ME3 didn't have PvP multiplayer, because that was terrible in Gears. Dead Space plays a lot like Resident Evil, except you're not standing motionless as you try to shoot, and the story isn't nearly as terrible as 5 and 6 were.

Overall, nothing really "New" is being done. The few games I'm excited for (X Rebirth, Destiny, FFXIV, The Division, Star Citizen)have me taking any info I get on them with a grain of salt, because the industry these days is known to just copy/paste overall gameplay experiences from other games, and just change the setting. Hell, I'm not even excited for Elder Scrolls Online, because even after hearing everything, it looks like it's just going to be another typical MMO after all, rather than actually bringing something new to the MMO genre (Seriously, I haven't seen a single new feature on their list of "Groundbreaking" stuff their adding to the game. It's just all stuff used from different games).

Capcom falling is expected. Eventually, I think all the major devs and publishers are gonna wind up the same way, because they lost touch with their creative sides and stopped listening to the fanbase. They went with what they thought sold and played it safe for far too long. Now they're starting to feel the repercussions. Slowly but surely.
ɔıƃol ʎʌuǝ ǝsnɐɔǝq

EvilNinjadude
Templar Inner Circle

#12 Post by EvilNinjadude »

Envy661 wrote: with the only things really changing it on any level being Planetside and Blacklight, and not even those really do much to push the genre ahead.
You know how I'm a Planetside 2 fan? The game doesn't really add anything new because it's moving towards the CoD and BF userbases in an attempt to recruit them and stop the game from quickly becoming obsolete. A lot of limitations come from the fact that not only is there an effort involved in innovating, but the game is also a massive resource hog due to what it offers, and the devs are trying to fix THAT at the moment as well.

Planetside 1 used to be a deeper, more involving game. A game for adults, I have learned. Less people, less solid shooter mechanics, but a deeper, more tactical and strategical gameplay. Planetside 2 originally threw most of those ideas out of the window, but a quite a few are beginning to make their way back as devs experiment with different ways a game not balanced around 30v30 Gameplay, but variable numbers, works in real time. It's like a massive, new experiment.

tl;dr Planetside2 is trying to appeal to a broader audience in order to get enough people to make the MMO stuff happen 24/7, and at the same time is struggling to make the experience top-notch for everyone despite technical problems. But I must say they're doing a good job of it over at SOE, and I respect them a lot.

Nuff
The One With the Ears

#13 Post by Nuff »

Insomniac wrote:
On an unrelated note, whenever I see someone hating on Call of Duty, I ask myself, are they saying it because they have reasons, or because it's Call of Duty?
CoD gets brought up (fairly or unfairly) because it epitomises a lot of what is wrong with videogames today. it is the flagship FPS in the mediocre spectacle over substance triple A gaming industry, with an extremely greedy developer that is milking every last drop they can out of the game and still focuses on the multiplayer over bringing a truely great single player experience. The CoD games are not that bad as games, but they are however soluless, by the book and uninspiring not to mention they are currently breeding the worst online community since MOBAs came into existance.

As for Capcom. I'm not that phased by their impending doom. A lot of their games have been poor in recent times and it seems they lack any real inspiration. As already mentioned anything worthy of being picked up by other studios will be and might even return to it's glory days. I thank them for their early Resident Evil games for scaring the balls off me and for Devil May Cry 3, which is still one of the best hack-n-slashers I've played and the only one in the series to really engage me with it's storyline.

Lief
No hugs, I asplode.
Fav. Twokinds Character: Raine

#14 Post by Lief »

Envy661 wrote:Battlefield 3 after Premium
Why after Premium specifically? Thanks to DICE, the game was [censored] a week after release.

Envy661
Envy x Banned Forever

#15 Post by Envy661 »

Lief wrote:
Envy661 wrote:Battlefield 3 after Premium
Why after Premium specifically? Thanks to DICE, the game was [censored] a week after release.
Because on some level, I actually enjoyed Battlefield 3 before premium, and it was because of Premium, everything it offered, and the massive [censored] it took on people who preordered the game, that I stopped playing Battlefield altogether.

EDIT: I will admit though. Weekly patches massively overhauling all the weapons, even the ones that didn't need to be touched, and nerfing all of them really helped kill it as well. Hell, I had more fun playing the beta than the actual game, and the Co-Op was a joke.
ɔıƃol ʎʌuǝ ǝsnɐɔǝq