A pet project, perhaps a profitable project...

For all your seizure inducing goodness!

Moderator: Moderators

Gotheran
Banned
Banned

A pet project, perhaps a profitable project...

#1 Post by Gotheran »

Not sure if I should post this here. Hell when am I ever sure when I'm posting in the right spot.

Anyway I had an idea for a project to make a standalone game, either to be used for the personal enjoyment of the dev team and anyone else they feel free to share with, or to be marketed and a profit turned upon it. I won't say too many details right now as I want to keep the project more or less under wraps. Suffice it to say I am no programmer, and I doubt I ever will be, but regardless I need programmers. If you are one great, show your interest, if you're not but know one, try and get them in on the project! I'm not sure what medium we'll be using to keep in contact as of yet, but I will be using both Skype and Steam, and may even look into opening a separate Forum for the project. My Skype handle is Gotheran, and my Steam handle is [AKU]Nuka.

EDIT: Ya know I trust ya'll nuff to let in on the secret. I don't like TF2, it's horribly glitchy, prone to more [censored] wipes than a diaper changing seminar, and the direct opposite of optimized, both server and client. I do however, LOVE the MvM mode, and I've got ideas for a separate standalone version with more mechanics and class customization than TF2 allows. I've been powwowing this with one guy I know from steam who seems mildly interested as well as a personal friend of mine who likes the idea but like me lacks any sort of programming skill. So, I'd love if someone can get this project some attention, ye shall be rewarded, (provided we can get it off the ground)

Nuff
The One With the Ears

Re: A pet project, perhaps a profitable project...

#2 Post by Nuff »

Your smack talk of TF2 is bizarre. It's pretty bloody well optimized and is one of the best online team based shooters available to date.

bond84
Stick Animator

#3 Post by bond84 »

Nuff wrote:Your smack talk of TF2 is bizarre. It's pretty bloody well optimized and is one of the best online team based shooters available to date.
This bit if you are looking to make something better, first I would attempt a modification of a game first. Much easier the maki g so egging from scratch. Try gmod and make a map and game mode in hammer.

Actually making am engine...in much more difficult. Crysis would be my suggestion but I haven't looked at the newer engines for that. Maybe unreal engine would work?
Would love to have a sig but I don't have anything sig worthy to be honest...

Myperson54
The Imagineer

#4 Post by Myperson54 »

bond84 wrote:
Nuff wrote:Your smack talk of TF2 is bizarre. It's pretty bloody well optimized and is one of the best online team based shooters available to date.
This bit if you are looking to make something better, first I would attempt a modification of a game first. Much easier the maki g so egging from scratch. Try gmod and make a map and game mode in hammer.

Actually making am engine...in much more difficult. Crysis would be my suggestion but I haven't looked at the newer engines for that. Maybe unreal engine would work?
Unreal engine has a really good editor and content creator, and a good community already established. Making a new engine, resources, and gameplay would be ridiculous. Possible, but extremely difficult, and frankly, unnecessary.

I am become salt, destroyer of memes

Join the Unofficial 2k Discord Channel!

Gotheran
Banned
Banned

#5 Post by Gotheran »

Nuff wrote:It's pretty bloody well optimized and is one of the best online team based shooters available to date.
Not when I can have a ping of 20 and still bounce around and miss a static target right infront of my minigun. And then consequently everyone [censored] that your system settings suck and talking about dick for the better part of six hours. By and large the community and optimization in tf2 is sub-par at best. And no one plays MvM's anymore aside from greedy traders who see some sort of monetary value in polygons and if statements. I already paid to play tf2, I don't need to pay to play the only fun part about it.
bond84 wrote: This bit if you are looking to make something better, first I would attempt a modification of a game first. Much easier the maki g so egging from scratch. Try gmod and make a map and game mode in hammer.

The point of my asking is to get a development team together, I personally have only enough programming experience to add text effects in these forum boxes, nothing terribly special. All I can offer is creative insights, and let people know what I envision for the game, I don't want to start with a modification, simply because there are plenty of great open source engines out there to start with, and I'm sure a dev team would be rightly pissed with me if I brought them together to make a simple mod.

judah4
The Cookie Dragon
Fav. Twokinds Character: Nora

#6 Post by judah4 »

Let me tell you aboutidea men. The best way to get your project done is either funding or you learn how to program yourself. You may have a great idea but for any decent programmer that could help already has ideas of there own. I'm sorry if this is a bit blunt but that is how it usually is.

I suggest either learn a programming language and use Unreal engine or Unity3d or start with the modding like bond84 suggested. Good luck

Insomniac
The Experienced Virgin
Fav. Twokinds Character: Natani

#7 Post by Insomniac »

Honestly, if you want to make games? The good folks at Extra Credits put it quite well. Start with board games. I'm not kidding.
From the Sergals and Sergal Lovers channel of F-List's chat system (Beyond NSFW, by the way): Honey, you ain't the only abnormal sergal in here. We got three pink northerns, a fairy, and a dork with a talking sword.

anonfox123
Grand Templar

#8 Post by anonfox123 »

You get [censored] in every game community. Somehow I have not run into any of the sort you're talking about. Not even on a 24/7 marokart map server. None of those ping problems either. :T

But your idea still sounds cool. I always did wish they had done more with MvM.
Ice-cold science-fantasy space-ninja operative!

Envy661
Envy x Banned Forever
Location: Back in the Yamaku Dorms, cuddlin' it up with Emi where I belong.

#9 Post by Envy661 »

Okay, here's a little bit of info I know.
Making your own engine from scratch, especially by yourself, will take you A LOT of time. If you are just learning development kits, do NOT go with UDK (Unreal Development Kit) because it has an obscene learning curve. I would know. I started with UDK. I knew how to use it for a while. But then I forgot it because [censored] UDK.

Unity is your best bet. Just ask Judah. It's hundreds of times easier to use and has the same features as UDK.
On the other hand though, CryEngine 3 is beyond simple to use that I didn't even have to read more than one tutorial for it to pick it up. At the same time, it takes A LOT of resources to run. It may run find right off the bet, but when you start rendering water sources, etc. you'll run into a ton of problems. ALWAYS play the template map in the game mode before using the Engine. If you can't run the game template, you're gonna have a hard time running CryEngine 3.
ɔıƃol ʎʌuǝ ǝsnɐɔǝq
deviantART | Steam Account | Forum Sigs | Otaku Streamers
Message me for access to the Twokinds Unoffical Official Skype Chat!

Gotheran
Banned
Banned

#10 Post by Gotheran »

Thanks for the pessimism guys. Well I see that this is going no further, if a moderator feels like locking/deleting this topic then go ahead plz & thx