Elder Scrolls Online - Now in Beta

For all your seizure inducing goodness!

Moderator: Moderators

Envy661
Envy x Banned Forever
Location: Back in the Yamaku Dorms, cuddlin' it up with Emi where I belong.

Elder Scrolls Online - Now in Beta

#1 Post by Envy661 »

http://elderscrollsonline.com/en

Is there really not already a thread about this? Well okay then.

Anyway, as I'm sure you're all aware, ESO has been in development. It will be cross-platform, available on PC, PS4, and XBO. It will be an MMO based in Tamriel, which world size has not been announced yet (Lets hope it's more like Daggerfall minus the randomly generated terrain, and less like the small scale of Oblivion and Skyrim, where each nation is only about 25 square miles in size).
It's an MMO where you can fight in first person, and provides strategic combat rather than auto-attack functionality. It also features all core races, vampires, armor types, armor sizes, and werewolves. The setting of the world is 1000 years before Skyrim, which is roughly 800 years before Oblivion. The setting also includes an invasion from Oblivion as the main story premise.

So... What are your thoughts? As some of you may know, I am a HUGE RPG fan, and a casual MMO gamer. I'm also working on the fundamentals and designing my own MMO world.
I play MMOs, but I can see very clearly what is wrong with each one. ESO still looks like it's going for a WoW mold when it comes to factions and classes, but at the same time, it is incorporating different features and emphasizing diversity. The question I have right now is, do you START as that faction, or do you choose to side with them like in a regular TES game? THAT will be what makes this game less WoWish in my eyes. But that doesn't mean the game will be great. With a global universal threat, it could run into the problem of Guild Wars 2, where you're stuck in the role of being the hero, whether you want to or not (I mean seriously, what kind of necromancer isn't evil? Just let me have one character that can side with the Dragons for christ sake).
I like the concept of the megaserver. I don't get why more games don't do that since server shards have sucked since the beginning. However, it sounds like they're going to be doing a severe amount of instancing, which is one of the things I had a problem with in DDO (aside from the gawd-aweful controls).

In the end, it's a wait and see for me. Getting into the beta would help quell or acknowledge some of my fears. What are your thoughts?
ɔıƃol ʎʌuǝ ǝsnɐɔǝq
deviantART | Steam Account | Forum Sigs | Otaku Streamers
Message me for access to the Twokinds Unoffical Official Skype Chat!

Unkowndeth
Templar Master

Re: Elder Scrolls Online - Now in Beta

#2 Post by Unkowndeth »

I've been in the closed beta for awhile now, gotta say I love almost everything about it. I was the one person in my group of friends that thought it wouldn't be that great, just another mmo.. I was dead wrong. The game immerses you so well, and there's a lot to see. It's hard to explain in words haha

Sable Dove
Pocket Androgyne

Re: Elder Scrolls Online - Now in Beta

#3 Post by Sable Dove »

Haven't had a chance to try it yet, but thought I'd like to point out that you're being exploited by the captcha when you sign up. The clearer-looking word is actually user for text-recognition software, and you're being used to teach it. I suggest miss-spelling it whenever possible. See how far you can get away from the word and still have it accept it. I think it bars you from using swearing/inappropriate terms, but otherwise, test the limits.
And so it was that Godhead Pickle Inspector created the universe. He regarded His creation with fondness and saw that it was good.
http://www.furaffinity.net/user/ivory-raven/
http://www.tumblr.com/blog/sable-sonata