Tales of Xillia

For all your seizure inducing goodness!

Moderator: Moderators

Wolf Cross
Apprentice

Tales of Xillia

#1 Post by Wolf Cross »

Holy Moly, am I surprised that nobody made a thread about this game! Welp... let's get started, shall we?
First, your trailer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GAuTHSlh7xo

Now hold on, I bet some of you are thinking "That's just cinematics!". Well here is some gameplay to go along well with it.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6g1IxPd8Uek

Tales of Xillia is the latest "Tales of" game to be released here in the west. It was released almost three years ago in Japan, and I believe it was because of the series' lack of popularity in the states that we haven't gotten a western release sooner. Now it's only my personal opinion when I say the series is criminally underrated, overshadowed by the many other RPG's that are all over commercials and Gamestop window posters. But Hideo Baba, the creator of the series, has stated in an interview back in February(?) I believe, that he wanted to localize more Tales games to the west. So I'm confident that the series is finally getting the recognition it deserves, and I'm happy to hear that the fanbase is getting a healthy service. A month later, game play teaser, with english voices, and video of the Wondercon event surfaced onto Youtube. The game will be released THIS August 6th, 2013.

What is the Setting for Tales of Xillia?

The game is set in Liese Maxia, a world where humans and monsters coexist with spirits. The spirits support human civilisation by granting wishes, such as the ability to channel mana as Spirit Power, and in turn are protected by those wishes. The most powerful of these spirits is a being called Maxwell, though its true nature is unknown. In Liese Maxia, there are two main countries vying for supremacy. La Shugall is an empire with a long history whose free use of Spirit Power has granted it incredible majesty and prosperity. A Jule is a developing country whose power is derived from the control of monsters and the might of its military.

Gameplay Elements?

Tales of Xillia is the first game to have an over-the-shoulder camera, as opposed to the top-down camera of previous Tales games.

The battle system is known as the Double Raid Linear Motion Battle System (DR-LMBS), which involves two characters teaming up in combat for maximum effectiveness. The character directly controlled by the player is known as the "Master", while the AI partner supports the Master by taking actions such as surrounding the enemy or protecting the Master's rear flank. In addition, both characters can team up and perform powerful unified attacks called "Link Artes" by filling up a gauge during "Link Mode" and then performing certain prerequisite moves. For example, Jude's Majinken and Milla's Wind Lance trigger the Link Arte Zeppuujin. Characters can also share support skills through Link Mode. Technical Points (TP) are included, and normal attacks are performed using a new system called the Assault Counter, a system similar to the Chain Capacity system in Tales of Destiny and Tales of Graces, where attacks remain connected as long as AC points are available. Each character also possesses a ability called a "Special Characteristic" that influences his or her combat style, such as Jude's "Integration Evasion" ability.

Instead of the traditional leveling systems used in the other games the series, players use a grid system to level up their characters by spending Growth Points (GP). GP is used to enhance one of six stats: strength, vitality, intelligence, spirit, agility, and dexterity. The grid also contains nodes with artes and skills between the core six stats. Players can reveal those by connecting to adjacent nodes. There is an additional flower under the grid, which grows based on the level of the grid.

(All taken from the Aselia Wikia)

I don't know about YOU guys, but I've been looking forward to this game ever since it came out. I've been wishing for it to be localized, and now that it's certain, I wanted to share it with the Twokinds Gaming Board Community. Also to help spread the word of this magnificent game.

Insomniac
The Experienced Virgin
Fav. Twokinds Character: Natani

Re: Tales of Xillia

#2 Post by Insomniac »

Holy necropost, batman! I just took a crack at this game yesterday, and found it to be enjoyable. Which is more than I can say for previous Tales games. Definitely gonna play more, as this is a surprisingly fun game to me.
From the Sergals and Sergal Lovers channel of F-List's chat system (Beyond NSFW, by the way): Honey, you ain't the only abnormal sergal in here. We got three pink northerns, a fairy, and a dork with a talking sword.