Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain

For all your seizure inducing goodness!

Moderator: Moderators

Insomniac
The Experienced Virgin
Fav. Twokinds Character: Natani

Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain

#1 Post by Insomniac »

So I'm super excited for this game. I've got a couple relevant links for y'all. First is an extended trailer that is made of awesome Also included, a developer demo. And lastly, its entry so far on the metal gear wiki, which says at the bottom that it's gonna be a holy piddle OPEN WORLD?!
From the Sergals and Sergal Lovers channel of F-List's chat system (Beyond NSFW, by the way): Honey, you ain't the only abnormal sergal in here. We got three pink northerns, a fairy, and a dork with a talking sword.

Sable Dove
Pocket Androgyne

Re: Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain

#2 Post by Sable Dove »

I seriously hope that demo was a joke. They couldn't just give us a cutscene to show him crawling? We actually have to crawl at a painfully slow pace for 5 minutes?

I mean, it looks... interesting. Will have to see what it looks like when more info is given.

Too bad it won't make it to PC, so I probably won't be getting it.
And so it was that Godhead Pickle Inspector created the universe. He regarded His creation with fondness and saw that it was good.
http://www.furaffinity.net/user/ivory-raven/
http://www.tumblr.com/blog/sable-sonata

Schrodinger
Worth 1000 Words

#3 Post by Schrodinger »

Okay how are they going to handwave away Big Boss having a cybernetic hand?
What was it the spider said to the fly...

Insomniac
The Experienced Virgin

#4 Post by Insomniac »

Sable Dove wrote:I seriously hope that demo was a joke. They couldn't just give us a cutscene to show him crawling? We actually have to crawl at a painfully slow pace for 5 minutes?
Other than the speed, how is it different from any other MGS game S:P
Schrodinger wrote:Okay how are they going to handwave away Big Boss having a cybernetic hand?
Either it's just an advanced prosthetic and not a cybernetic, or it's an EARLY cybernetic. Either way, it wouldn't be much of a handwave in universe, considering, y'know, Raiden...Plus, Vamp could walk on water that was less dense than water, are you really gonna question [censored]?
From the Sergals and Sergal Lovers channel of F-List's chat system (Beyond NSFW, by the way): Honey, you ain't the only abnormal sergal in here. We got three pink northerns, a fairy, and a dork with a talking sword.

Schrodinger
Worth 1000 Words

#5 Post by Schrodinger »

Considering in the Metal Gear universe fully functioning AI technology was reached in the 70s I have little room to complain.

Sable Dove
Pocket Androgyne

#6 Post by Sable Dove »

Insomniac wrote:
Sable Dove wrote:I seriously hope that demo was a joke. They couldn't just give us a cutscene to show him crawling? We actually have to crawl at a painfully slow pace for 5 minutes?
The speed is the issue. Especially when there's nothing to do but follow a guy through a linear path. They could have achieved as much with a 60-second cutscene. It might work once, but it's going to be a pain to ever replay the game because you have to essentially play through the cutscenes that you could skip before.
And so it was that Godhead Pickle Inspector created the universe. He regarded His creation with fondness and saw that it was good.

Schrodinger
Worth 1000 Words

#7 Post by Schrodinger »

Sable Dove wrote:
Insomniac wrote:
The speed is the issue. Especially when there's nothing to do but follow a guy through a linear path. They could have achieved as much with a 60-second cutscene. It might work once, but it's going to be a pain to ever replay the game because you have to essentially play through the cutscenes that you could skip before.
Or it makes more sense in the context of the full game to show how Big Boss has spent nine years in a coma and is incredibly weak, showing how far he's fallen and how far he'll have to go to become the greatest soldier who ever lived again.

Insomniac
The Experienced Virgin

#8 Post by Insomniac »

Schrodinger wrote:
Sable Dove wrote:
Insomniac wrote:
Or it makes more sense in the context of the full game to show how Big Boss has spent nine years in a coma and is incredibly weak, showing how far he's fallen and how far he'll have to go to become the greatest soldier who ever lived again.
This, all of the this. Quoted for truth just doesn't quite say it. Look at it this way, Sable. It's either five minutes of Big Boss and his atrophied muscles crawling with you in control, or five minutes of it WITHOUT you in control. After nine years in a coma, it's amazing he can STAND at the end of the video, let alone move at all, even WITH the shot that Ishmael gave him.

Sable Dove
Pocket Androgyne

#9 Post by Sable Dove »

Or you could, as I said, do it in 60 seconds with a cutscene, or even if were 5 minutes, on subsequent playthroughs, you could skip it, because you already know what the segment is supposed to show you.

I mean, we're not stupid. It doesn't take 5 minutes of slogging though a linear path to figure out he's weak. I know MGS4 was kinda criticized for being 50% cutscene, but it looks like they're going the other way here. Why have it as gameplay if it's not fun? Imagine if a game had a vehicle section where you pilot a tank. Only you're slower, and can't fire your guns. Not much fun.

But like I said, as a console-exclusive, it's unlikely I'll be playing it anyways.

Schrodinger
Worth 1000 Words

#10 Post by Schrodinger »

For all we know that sequence might get nicked by the time the game is released. I've seen that happen plenty of times with tech demos.

Insomniac
The Experienced Virgin

#11 Post by Insomniac »

I can't help but wonder, did Sable read the article in the first post? It states in no uncertain terms that the game is going to be less cutscene heavy than previous MGS games. It also states that it MAY have a PC release.

Akira110
Literary Artist

#12 Post by Akira110 »

Insomniac wrote:I can't help but wonder, did Sable read the article in the first post? It states in no uncertain terms that the game is going to be less cutscene heavy than previous MGS games. It also states that it MAY have a PC release.
I doubt that he did. But I'm excited for it, I'm a big fan of Metal Gear Solid, and have been since I've played Metal Gear Solid 3, way back in 2007, when I got it for my 18th birthday. I played it and beat it, over and over again. Now I hear about Metal Gear Solid Five, and I'm excited, especially since I get to play as Big Boss again.
Been around this forum for over 8 years now. Everyone I've known has left, now it's my time to do the same.

Sable Dove
Pocket Androgyne

#13 Post by Sable Dove »

Less cutscene heavy only works if you don't just make them semi-interactive while also making them unskippable.
If it got a PC release, that would be wonderful, and you can count me in. Hell, for MGS5, I'd even use Origin if they made me.

Also, an unmentioned note: the title isn't ridiculous.

Insomniac
The Experienced Virgin

#14 Post by Insomniac »

Sable Dove wrote:Less cutscene heavy only works if you don't just make them semi-interactive while also making them unskippable.
If it got a PC release, that would be wonderful, and you can count me in. Hell, for MGS5, I'd even use Origin if they made me.
I strongly hope EA never acquires Konami or Kojima's company, and that's probably the only thing that would result in having to use Origin.
Sable Dove wrote:Also, an unmentioned note: the title isn't ridiculous.
Definitely glad to hear y'think that. It actually makes sense, what with the lost arm and all.

Sable Dove
Pocket Androgyne

#15 Post by Sable Dove »

Insomniac wrote:
Sable Dove wrote:Less cutscene heavy only works if you don't just make them semi-interactive while also making them unskippable.
I strongly hope EA never acquires Konami or Kojima's company, and that's probably the only thing that would result in having to use Origin.
I know it's unlikely, but I was just saying I would put up with a lot of [censored] if it did come out on PC.

I hope EA stops sucking; or failing that, goes bankrupt.