Playstation 4

For all your seizure inducing goodness!

Moderator: Moderators

SirSlaughter
Templar Inner Circle

Re: Playstation 4

#16 Post by SirSlaughter »

Nuff wrote:Nintendo consoles are cheaper because they are less powerful and have nothing but a recycled release list that goes instantly dead about two years into the consoles life.
That and the Wii is literally a gamecube with motion controller support. and as for the WiiU, people have already cracked that little sucker, it still has gamecube game support. You just have to figure out how to unlock it. They used the same coding/setting/Idon'tknowreally that the wii had but updated/upgraded it. People found the codes/section that had it able to play gamecube games. I'm not sure if it can actually play gamecube games with the new proprietary reader that thing has (the disks are like blu-rays, but not blu-rays).

Then there was the recent stink about what the WiiU was powered by, an outdated processor and chipset that is quite weak. (although it does the job seeing as it can play the games it has with no problems while still looking good).

And Akira: you say we fail to see the problems with our systems due to being fanboys. We KNOW what is wrong with each system.

PS3: horrid support for online and purchasing issues, then there was that whole credit card info thing going wrong...more than once. The white light issues early on, the early price point of 600 freaking dollars, their updates take hours at a time, I don't like their controllers, I don't like most of their titles, and they won't send PROJECT DIVA TO THE US!!! Damn you sony!

Xbox: You have to pay to play online, there are nothing but advertisements all over the damned home screen now, the red ring issue when it first released, the fact it has no blu-ray player unlike the PS3, the fact that many games require 2 or more disks because of the no blu ray thing, and the fact that when you buy a new xbo the VGA adaptor covers up the HDMI slot so if you buy a headset (turtle beach, tritton, Datel) you have to buy a 20 dollar adapter (which every tritton comes with).

PC: Viruses, heat, OEM parts, making sure everything is compatible, overall price after everything is said and done, you can only get it cheap if you have the know-how, almost every game now you have to be online to play so that means no single player game for you if you are downrange or on the road, oh and then there is the damned DRM the bloody DRM (Yo-ho-ho, a pirates life for some of ye scurvy dogs), and then if a part goes wrong you can't use it and the fact that PCs are pretty moody sometimes.

Like you said, each has its pros and cons, but the fact of the matter is, it all depends on what you want! Do you want good looking games, do you want mario, do you want cheap games so you can game on a budget, do you want to be mobile, are you a hardcore gamer (Enthusiast), are you under 16, do you have money to have more bells and whistles, do you require utility, and so many other questions can go along with it.

For me: I moved to PC because I needed more utility and I love shiny tech, I like big systems with bells and whistles and other things I don't need. I like little things in my PC and the fact I can browse the web, do my HW, play my games that look so much better than any console and if I want the Console feel I can pop an xbox controller (or a PS3 controller with Xpadder). Then if I want to play some older games with story I liked and grew up on, there are always people working to make cracked versions and emulators. Then for the online only thing, People pirate for a reason, people tend to not like DRM. I also have an Xbox, a gamecube, a ps2, a PSP, a 3DS, a gameboy color, a gameboy SP, I had a PS3, I have more than one PC I set up, and I mean my room is the gamers paradise. But when it comes down to it, you will normally find me playing smaller games or my PSP recently.

This is almost always how a console war pops up.

Akira110
Literary Artist

#17 Post by Akira110 »

SirSlaughter wrote:
Nuff wrote:Nintendo consoles are cheaper because they are less powerful and have nothing but a recycled release list that goes instantly dead about two years into the consoles life.
Like you said, each has its pros and cons, but the fact of the matter is, it all depends on what you want! Do you want good looking games, do you want mario, do you want cheap games so you can game on a budget, do you want to be mobile, are you a hardcore gamer (Enthusiast), are you under 16, do you have money to have more bells and whistles, do you require utility, and so many other questions can go along with it.
Once again, I never called you a fanboy. To me a fanboy is someone that will scream at the top of their lungs into someone gives in and admits that their console(Or PC) is the best in the world and that its perfectly flawless. If I were to call you anything, SirSlaughter, it would be a PC Gamer. I have no issue with the guys that just sit around and play their video games. I do have issues with people screaming about how one console is better or pc is superior to everything. Each console has its exclusives, which take advantage of their hardware.

Also the touchpad on a controller... I've said it before with the Wii U and their touch screen, its a bad idea. While it can be done very well, like the Wii U is supposed to be doing, its still a very bad and very needlessly costly idea.
Been around this forum for over 8 years now. Everyone I've known has left, now it's my time to do the same.

SirSlaughter
Templar Inner Circle

#18 Post by SirSlaughter »

Akira110 wrote:
SirSlaughter wrote:
Once again, I never called you a fanboy. To me a fanboy is someone that will scream at the top of their lungs into someone gives in and admits that their console(Or PC) is the best in the world and that its perfectly flawless. If I were to call you anything, SirSlaughter, it would be a PC Gamer. I have no issue with the guys that just sit around and play their video games. I do have issues with people screaming about how one console is better or pc is superior to everything. Each console has its exclusives, which take advantage of their hardware.

Also the touchpad on a controller... I've said it before with the Wii U and their touch screen, its a bad idea. While it can be done very well, like the Wii U is supposed to be doing, its still a very bad and very needlessly costly idea.
Ok you got me, I didn't read your comment properly and assumed a little more than I should have, I apologize.

As for the controller, I like what they wanted to do, but I do think it's gonna be some failed implementation. Kinda like the ZombieU with the WiiU controller, or that one game that used the touchpads too much. They will most likely release a game or two that show off everything the controller can do and then no one will want the game anymore. I have a feeling a lot of games won't even think about the touch support.

Sable Dove
Pocket Androgyne

#19 Post by Sable Dove »

Akira110 wrote:In the grand scheme of things, the PC is considered a gaming console as well, not to mention that most PCs are running windows still, which is made by........ Microsoft.

On topic, I personally believe that, even though the PS4's price tag hasn't been announced yet. Its going to be rather expensive, within the $500-$700 range. Do I know this for sure? Not really, all I'm going on is the fact that the PS3 was $599, and the fact that someone within Sony of Japan said, "They will pay any price for it, because it is a Playstation." But we will see. If its less expensive than the PS3 is NOW, which is 300 USED, I will consider getting a PS4. If not, then once again I will go to Nintendo, because their video game systems are less expensive than either Microsoft or Sony's and is less expensive by a country mile, than a PC.
Hate to tell you, but a PC is not a gaming console. Gaming is not the primary purpose of a PC, and many PCs are not able to run many games at all. And why does it even matter that Windows is by Microsoft? The issue isn't that it's Microsoft; it's that consoles reduce the quality of games that are on them. The PC suffers because consoles hit the market when they're obsolete, so games that are developed on consoles must be lower quality. Not to mention that if you built a specialized rig, you could probably get a computer that can play any console game for pretty cheap. It's only if you want to play PC-quality games that you need to get a high-end PC. Console-level games could be run on a pretty cheap computer. The price is especially irrelevant for the Xbox, since in the lifecycle of the console, you'll probably be paying an extra 300+$ for LIVE.

Saying that the PC is not better than a console is flat out wrong. Anything a console can do, a PC can do better. It may not be as easy because some hardware is designed only for a specific system, but nevertheless, it can be done, and better. Console-exclusive titles do not make a console better; the fact that it is console exclusive just means it was designed for that specific console; if it were designed for the PC, it would be better.

The only disadvantage of the PC is cost, and even then, it's not unreasonable unless you go all out, considering it does everything else a PC does. People complain that gaming PCs are too expensive because the price tag is big, but considering you're basically getting a gaming experience better than any console, plus a very good general-purpose PC, the real price is the difference between a gaming PC, and the level of PC you would have bought otherwise, which is probably not all that much; Hell, my laptop costs more than my gaming PC because it's a tablet, so really, the difference between what I would have bought without making it a gaming PC, and what I did buy, is probably less than any console that is or ever was, and it's still probably better than the next generation of consoles. And if not, I can upgrade it to be, for less than the price of a new console anyways. Oh, and I have backwards compatibility with virtually every game ever made for PC.

So yeah, call me a PC fanboy; I am. In the same way that I'm an Earth-revolves-around-the-Sun fanboy. I believe something that's empirically true, and am willing to defend my position. You may prefer a given console. You may feel it offers more to you. That's fine, but the current generation of consoles is not better than a PC, and when the next generation is released, it will not be as good as the PCs available then. PCs are upgradable; consoles are not (significantly). Consoles are developed on certain hardware, meaning that the development time guarantees that they are obsolete on-release.
And so it was that Godhead Pickle Inspector created the universe. He regarded His creation with fondness and saw that it was good.
http://www.furaffinity.net/user/ivory-raven/
http://www.tumblr.com/blog/sable-sonata

Evilsqirrel
Council Member

#20 Post by Evilsqirrel »

My reaction to this thread
So much console wars.

Okay: I will try my best to remain objective on this war here. The difference between PC and console is immense. PCs allow for customization of your computer to do as much as you want to. Consoles allow no room for customization or improvement. This allows a more "Universalized experience" as the console manufacturers say, and that it true. The cost for that is you can only use a controller, can't radically change keybindings on many games, and no mods. Ever.

When I say mods, i am not talking about the "Average" console gamer's idea of mods where every mod is designed specifically to gain an unfair advantage. Many mods for PC games actually increase the difficulty of a game, add new areas, or they revamp the textures to make the game look better.

I like PC more because I can do more than play approved games on it. If I wanted to, I could make my own game and play it all day. I can customize my hardware, Operating System, and my game's settings. The only problem that PCs have that consoles don't have is stability, and that is very rare in any case. Due to the fact that you can customize virtually everything in and on a computer, it can cause problems if not done right.

A console, on the other hand, just simply works. You can just plop in a game and play. You may only be able to use a controller, not allowed to mod, and restricted to one graphics setting, but it just works. You don't have to fret over anything unless you get a red ring or something.

It all comes down to personal preference. If you like to customize, accessorize, and tinker, a PC is better for you. If you just want to sit down, relax, and enjoy a game with your buddies, a console is better for you.

Insomniac
The Experienced Virgin
Fav. Twokinds Character: Natani

#21 Post by Insomniac »

Came to put in my two cents about the controller, stayed for Sable's militant PC fanboy ravings.
From the Sergals and Sergal Lovers channel of F-List's chat system (Beyond NSFW, by the way): Honey, you ain't the only abnormal sergal in here. We got three pink northerns, a fairy, and a dork with a talking sword.

Sage Asuka
Teacup Kitsune

#22 Post by Sage Asuka »

I came to see people's opinions on it since I'm a Nintendo girl and don't follow the other consoles very much. I know game titles, but specifics...meh. And then I found CONSOLE WARS.

...personally my only hope is that PS4 drives the PS3 sales WAY ridiculously low. Because I want Journey. Doubt it'll happen but I can dream.
Image Image Image Image

Schrodinger
Worth 1000 Words

#23 Post by Schrodinger »

Sage Asuka wrote:I came to see people's opinions on it since I'm a Nintendo girl and don't follow the other consoles very much. I know game titles, but specifics...meh. And then I found CONSOLE WARS.

...personally my only hope is that PS4 drives the PS3 sales WAY ridiculously low. Because I want Journey. Doubt it'll happen but I can dream.
I too dream that dream.
What was it the spider said to the fly...

Talonmaster Zso
Templar GrandMaster

#24 Post by Talonmaster Zso »

One of the big things that'll determine PS3's fate is if PS4 must be "Always Online" too. That it's not backwards compatible with PS3 games sounds pretty terrible at first, but if Sony just slaps them (or even just the "Greatest Hits" analogies) into the virtual console that'll fix the issue for many gamers. However, if they must also always be online ALA the next X-Box? Eesh.

Mind, PS3 prices will drop either-way shortly after the PS4 comes out. Possibly not that heavily, being Sony, but we should be able to expect some price decrease.

As for the little Nintendo quips: They're cheaper because they're less powerful, that doesn't pose a problem to me. I've generally moved on to PC gaming anyways as over the last 7-8 years there's been a handful of console games I've wanted that aren't on handhelds, or also ported onto the PC. The only 360 game that's really, consistently interested me is the original Dead Rising, and for PS3 / 360 together there's a few more such as Dragon's Dogma and Nier. Yes, the Wii's list is small too... but when it's a matter of saving several hundred USD to get a handful of good things, it's the only console of this last generation I could even be bothered to buy. Not because it's the "best" in terms of hardware or the like, but because I'm not mugging my bank account for a handful of games.
Human (n): Susceptible to or representative of the sympathies and frailties of human nature.

Loud & Proud Humanist. Malignant to Misanthropes.

SirSlaughter
Templar Inner Circle

#25 Post by SirSlaughter »

So, possible leaked footage of the new PS4 reveal for E3?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pl ... kqVsvgb-t4