Destiny by Bungie

For all your seizure inducing goodness!

Moderator: Moderators

Insomniac
The Experienced Virgin
Fav. Twokinds Character: Natani

Re: Destiny by Bungie

#76 Post by Insomniac »

Him wrote:As far as I can tell I will never play the game. Sadly, I think my gaming days are done. I'm probably never going to buy a new console again. Now, I've only heard good things about Destiny. Most of my friends recommend it and play it as much as possible. I myself however, dislike the look of it. This game is not original at all. There's too much... Halo in it. Don't get me wrong, Halo is my favorite gaming series, but they need to do something new. Sure, there's new, maybe even better content... so?... Even if a game is better than its predecessors it should be its own thing. You know what originally turned me away from Destiny? The Cabal Phalanx... in which I could only see a Hunter. The similarities between the two characters planted the seed of disfavor and it grows even now.

But yes... I have only heard praise about it IRL. Get it if you are unsure, most agree it's worth it. (I apologize for any choppiness. It is very late.)
There actually are some severe problems, not the least of which being that it's apparent that content was chopped out to be released as paid DLC later. Now, I know precisely three things about it. One, it's story content. Two, Bungie has NEVER done that before, so it's likely a mandate from Activision. And three, my experience in the beta. I massively enjoyed it, though the 'tougher' enemies, particularly in events and strikes, are just bullet sponges, and that's the only difficulty about them. And that's sad.
From the Sergals and Sergal Lovers channel of F-List's chat system (Beyond NSFW, by the way): Honey, you ain't the only abnormal sergal in here. We got three pink northerns, a fairy, and a dork with a talking sword.

Schrodinger
Worth 1000 Words

#77 Post by Schrodinger »

Insomniac wrote:There actually are some severe problems, not the least of which being that it's apparent that content was chopped out to be released as paid DLC later. Now, I know precisely three things about it. One, it's story content. Two, Bungie has NEVER done that before, so it's likely a mandate from Activision. And three, my experience in the beta. I massively enjoyed it, though the 'tougher' enemies, particularly in events and strikes, are just bullet sponges, and that's the only difficulty about them. And that's sad.
Pretty much why I won't support the game myself summed up.
What was it the spider said to the fly...

Insomniac
The Experienced Virgin

#78 Post by Insomniac »

Schrodinger wrote:
Insomniac wrote:There actually are some severe problems, not the least of which being that it's apparent that content was chopped out to be released as paid DLC later. Now, I know precisely three things about it. One, it's story content. Two, Bungie has NEVER done that before, so it's likely a mandate from Activision. And three, my experience in the beta. I massively enjoyed it, though the 'tougher' enemies, particularly in events and strikes, are just bullet sponges, and that's the only difficulty about them. And that's sad.
Pretty much why I won't support the game myself summed up.
Personally I still want to play it. Even with the bullet sponges, I enjoyed my time in the beta, and I know I'd enjoy the gameplay of the 'full' game too.
From the Sergals and Sergal Lovers channel of F-List's chat system (Beyond NSFW, by the way): Honey, you ain't the only abnormal sergal in here. We got three pink northerns, a fairy, and a dork with a talking sword.

The Rookie
Grand Templar

#79 Post by The Rookie »

Now that I've had a few days to actually play the game I can kind of see why some people were disappointed with some of the key aspects.

Story: It's just not really there. I mean sure you have a handful of cut scenes with a handful of characters, but no where near enough to be remotely invested in who they are or what there importance is. Which is a real shame because I was really hoping to learn more about the Stranger who shows up a few times, has a small conversation about how the Vex are evil and how she "Wasn't born out of light" like the guardians. She kind of gave off a dark jedi kind of feel, maybe using the darkness against itself ?
The was also this weird thing with the Awoken that wasn't really explained beyond that there is a queen, and for some reason she has some pet fallen and knowledge of "The black garden". Having an awoken character doesn't seem to affect these interactions.

Pretty disappointing that Bungie opened all these doors for an epic story and never really did anything with it. I'm kind of getting a feeling we'll have to buy the DLCs to see much in the way of story...

Missions: Fairly repetitive. Go here, shoot that and wait for your ghost to open a door/decrypt some tech. Meh...

Strikes: Once you realise that all the strikes involve killing a slightly larger boss version of the standard alien heavies with a lot more health, while also fighting all their little buddies, it kind of gets stale quickly after the second or third play-through.

Lacks real diversity: Now while there are some interesting weapons in Destiny, they're largely very similar. For example, the shot guns were just shot guns. Every shot gun available to the player behaved the essentially same way, get up close and kill 'em with buck shot. There wasn't anything special, like say, a plasma shotty or something similar to the explosive incendiary things the Fallen captains tend to use during the game. It kind of feels like a missed opportunity to implement the alien arsenal/tech into the guardian's weaponry to create some truly interesting gear similar to that you might find in, say, Borderlands for example.

Oh and the vehicles, there was only three available the whole game, and that's including the sparrow, and all of which could only hold one player. Now usually that would be fine, but Bungie kind of set a bench mark for themselves when the Halo games would have around halve a dozen or so drivable or so vehicles per title. The whole area just feels under done, especially in multiplayer.

Game play: This is where the game shines (Sort of) it's generally fun to play most of the time. The guns feel good, the levelling systems for the subclasses gives you a fair few options for how you like to play, and the ever enticing promise of better loot gives you motivation to keep leveling up for the late game strikes that are slowly being released.

If you're into graphics and secrecy, Destiny is a very pretty game. I often found myself looking around at all the nice little details and forgetting about all the aliens running around until I suddenly realise I've lost 2/3rds of my shields

This is definitely a game to play with friends. If you feel like diving into this one solo, you'll probably only get a few hours out of it before putting it down.
Nothing ventured, nothing gained.

TheHawk

#80 Post by TheHawk »

Insomniac
The Experienced Virgin

#81 Post by Insomniac »

And suddenly, many screams of rage were heard all across the cosmos.

Schrodinger
Worth 1000 Words

#82 Post by Schrodinger »

Wow, that is just sad.

ButterBall
Grand Templar

#83 Post by ButterBall »

Are we sure this isn't a hoax?
*Used to be a guy people knew at one time.*
Avatar by druanderson. Some things are very NSFW.

The Rookie
Grand Templar

#84 Post by The Rookie »

The more I read, the more sense it made...

The stuff about the factions, the different intros for species, the whole thing with the awoken/Speaker/Stranger/Vanguard stories being cannibalised into the mess it became..
It sounds like they utterly butchered it intentionally a year out from launch, but the question is why ?

Ironworks
Templar Inner Circle

#85 Post by Ironworks »

I'm very, very skeptical on whether or not this is legit. Seen this floating around for a while now with still no confirmation on its realness.

Most of this makes sense, especially with the intro to the game being the generalized Exo intro.
Unfortunately, this theory has the same downfall as the Indoctrination theory of Mass Effect.
It can all be dismissed with the statement "it was just bad, bad writing."

primalcaller ergos
Templar GrandMaster
Location: many places at once all around reality and outside it at the same time, thought i am astral projetin

#86 Post by primalcaller ergos »

Insomniac wrote:Having seen Angry Joe's review, I gotta say...The worst thing about this game isn't the flaws, or the stuff that was cut out to be sold as DLC later (which I'm convinced was Activision's doing since Bungie has never done something like this with story content before), but that the game still looks fun enough to play that I want it despite those things.
This also describes my own position perfectly.

This picture does as well.

anyone else have a problem with this?
You must train you eyes so strenuously to see the truth but when you do, a whole new world opens up for as you keen observation allows you to know more about some one than they know about themselves, this is called psychology - me

Insomniac
The Experienced Virgin

#87 Post by Insomniac »

primalcaller ergos wrote:
Insomniac wrote:Having seen Angry Joe's review, I gotta say...The worst thing about this game isn't the flaws, or the stuff that was cut out to be sold as DLC later (which I'm convinced was Activision's doing since Bungie has never done something like this with story content before), but that the game still looks fun enough to play that I want it despite those things.
This also describes my own position perfectly.

This picture does as well.

anyone else have a problem with this?
My problem is more that, as Joe showed, the loot is random. The amount of it, not a problem for me. The randomnness, that's the bad part.

The Rookie
Grand Templar

#88 Post by The Rookie »

Has anyone here seen Joe's follow up review ?

If you weren't angry over the lack of content yet, just wait...

Also a Reddit post by some one who claimed to have been a game tester who worked on Destiny back in early 2013, which has sense been taken down. In the post he spoke mostly about the changes in story from the build he had played back in 2013.

In summery, the poster claims the original story had gone something like this

The character we know as the Queen's brother was originally a rogue guardian who you run into on Earth, named Crow. During an Earth mission your character is suddenly knocked out and wakes up in Crow's base on Mars surrounded by other rouge guardians (The Exo Stranger included) most without their ghost which I think were killed at some point.

Skipping ahead, turns out that the Traveller didn't save humanity, it damned then. The Traveller set humanities Golden age up so that
A: We'd trust it unconditionally
B: He'd be able to exploit all our weaknesses when his various armies arrive. Turning all our tech against us, leaving us completely vulnerable.

Also turns out the Speaker is in on it, hence why he's telling everyone the Traveller is awesome, and that he what's to reactivate his old mate to destroy humanity fully. Fun times.

You and your little rag tag group of rogue Guardians (Which is made up of you/ other players) set out to prevent this from happening. There was also some familiar mission tie ins here where you're sent to collect the AI core of a Gate Lord and recover an old human AI (Rasputin?) from Cabel forces.

There was also something along the lines of the human AI being used to do something with the Vex AI and they find out that the Hive had been creating a super weapon to reactivate the Traveller, which would wake up and kill everyone or something.

Whether the article is genuine is still in question, but it having been taken down leads me to believe that there had to have been some truth to what he was talking about.

Schrodinger
Worth 1000 Words

#89 Post by Schrodinger »

So my brother and his friend rented Call of Duty: Ghosts and Destiny. We spent the entire time passing the controller around playing Ghosts rather than open the Destiny rental case. As far as I know, none of us even played it. Honestly, what does that say about Destiny if all three of us are that uninterested?

InceptionBwaaa
Grand Templar

#90 Post by InceptionBwaaa »

Schrodinger wrote:So my brother and his friend rented Call of Duty: Ghosts and Destiny. We spent the entire time passing the controller around playing Ghosts rather than open the Destiny rental case. As far as I know, none of us even played it. Honestly, what does that say about Destiny if all three of us are that uninterested?

That you guys were unwilling to give it a chance. It really isn't as [censored] a game that people say it is. To me, it's almost a copy of Halo, but I like Halo. A lot. Then it has elements seen in Borderlands and Bioshock, both of which are fantastic franchises. I think Destiny has potential to be great, if made so by the player. In other words, just play the game the way you want and it will be fun.
Certified Jojo fan
"She's a keeper!" ~Firekeeper
Stardust Crusaders banner coming soon.
Zelda x Palutena is the one true ship.