For all your seizure inducing goodness!

Moderator: Moderators

Insomniac
The Experienced Virgin
Fav. Twokinds Character: Natani

Re: Destiny by Bungie

#61 Post by Insomniac »

Why three weeks?

For me, it'll be an unknown amount of time before I get my hands on it. Hopefully not TOO long.
From the Sergals and Sergal Lovers channel of F-List's chat system (Beyond NSFW, by the way): Honey, you ain't the only abnormal sergal in here. We got three pink northerns, a fairy, and a dork with a talking sword.

The Rookie
Grand Templar

#62 Post by The Rookie »

Gabriel *Bro hug*
Insomniac wrote:Why three weeks?
For me, it'll be an unknown amount of time before I get my hands on it. Hopefully not TOO long.
I'm currently doing a university course away from home and the next time I get a break to go home will be in about 3 weeks. This is also followed closely by exams and a 3 week placement in another city :/

Hopefully you'll be able to a get a copy soon, the game looks amazing
Nothing ventured, nothing gained.

ButterBall
Grand Templar

#63 Post by ButterBall »

It's probably better to wait a few days to a week. That way you avoid the download/server issues and launch bugs. Like this one.
*Used to be a guy people knew at one time.*
Avatar by druanderson. Some things are very NSFW.

MeaCulpa, S.C.M.
The Last Gunslinger

#64 Post by MeaCulpa, S.C.M. »

I doubt I'll get a response from Bungie, but I recently sent this message through FB to them.

Dear Bungie,

I was super excited for Destiny, but it's not cross-platform, it's not split-screen, and there's no official PC port release date, and the only working console I have that can play Destiny is a PS4 (my PS3 recently crashed), which none of my friends have. I have literally no reason to buy your game because of those decisions, and until one of them stops being true I never will. As a past consumer of the Halo series, this makes me pretty sad. Making a multiplayer, console-only shooter that isn't splitscreen or cross-platform is like making a bicycle with square wheels...there's no point.

But:

http://www.forbes.com/sites/insertcoin/ ... form-play/

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/e3-201 ... 0-6420387/

http://www.polygon.com/2014/9/8/6120873 ... rsion-port

I don't see how any of the reasons you have publicly given stack up to the core experience that made the Halo series what it was and what I associated with your company for a long time. I know Destiny is its own thing, and maybe it's unfair to compare it to Halo--but we've been doing so to compliment it this whole time, I think it's also fair to do so for criticism. As it is I can play Destiny with exactly 0 people I know, and I don't have much of a reason to play only with strangers.

I absolutely loved the Halo series and played it with my friends through childhood, high school, and college all the time. I was excited to do the same experience with Destiny, with friends coming over and us all enjoying the game, but I now see that's impossible.

Unless there is a PC port, cross-platform, or splitscreen, I will not be purchasing Destiny.

Deepest Regrets,

-Blake
VERY, GOOD

ButterBall
Grand Templar

#65 Post by ButterBall »

MeaCulpa, S.C.M. wrote:...
Unless there is a PC port, cross-platform, or splitscreen, I will not be purchasing Destiny.

Deepest Regrets,

-Blake
I'm in a similar boat, primarily with the cross-platform issue, as to why I've not acquired Destiny. That being said I believe, that Bungie has stated that they wouldn't mind porting Destiny to PC but their primary focus is on making the console version a success first (so, something similar to the Rockstar release of GTAV. Given their history, we should've known a PC port was coming). Cross-platform would, I imagine, be at least twice the nightmare as making a "Who Framed Roger Rabbit" sequel (in that Sony and Microsoft would never allow such an agreement by which even Disney and Warner Bros. only allowed it provided each of their characters were allowed equal screen time. (I genuinely would like to know 1-3 games that have done this on PS3/360/Wii, and done it well.)). And with splitscreen, as much as Bungie is trying to distance themselves from Destiny being called an MMO, it seems an apt comparison since they would seem to need multiple player accounts run through the same console simultaneously on said console's user account which given my experience with PS3 and 360, is spotty at best and non-existant at worst.
*Used to be a guy people knew at one time.*
Avatar by druanderson. Some things are very NSFW.

Schrodinger
Worth 1000 Words

#66 Post by Schrodinger »

Okay, gameplay footage has confirmed my suspicion that Destiny is Borderlands by way of Halo. I do not have any drive to pick this title up and likely won't ever unless it drops on PC.
What was it the spider said to the fly...

SirSlaughter
Templar Inner Circle

#67 Post by SirSlaughter »

Schrodinger wrote:Okay, gameplay footage has confirmed my suspicion that Destiny is Borderlands by way of Halo. I do not have any drive to pick this title up and likely won't ever unless it drops on PC.
You and me both. I'm waiting for it to get out of supposed Alpha testing. (I know a few guys, but you didn't hear it from me)

I'm still skeptical on what they tell me (They are supposed Alpha testers) but if it's true, I'm excited.

MeaCulpa, S.C.M.
The Last Gunslinger

#68 Post by MeaCulpa, S.C.M. »

After reading more than a few reviews and reflecting on some of my play during the open beta, my final decision/opinion closely mirrors this dunkview.

Been so much hype in 8th gen with so little results. Watch Dogs was such a repetitive, uninteresting slog far removed from what it promised I actually turned in my copy for some vape fluid just the other day. I'm still seriously hyped for Far Cry 4, Uncharted 4, Arkham Knight which is also a 4. So basically all the 4s. It's sad because I'd really like to support some new titles, but all the halfway decent looking games seem to be remakes.
VERY, GOOD

The Rookie
Grand Templar

#69 Post by The Rookie »

The current string of reviews being released for this game are starting to worry me a bit.

There seems to be a very clear split between players and games journalist where it's either
A: You really enjoy this game for what it is, although some elements are underdone, but you still see yourself coming back for the new updates and expansions to come later on
or B: This game is over hyped garbage and that it's worse than anything that's ever come before it. 5/10 Will return to GameStop

The handful of let's plays and such I've seen of this game, the players really seem to be enjoying themselves. However, at the same time I've been reading hundreds of comments and blog post about how this game is terrible to it's core and that the population are "idiots" for enjoying it in anyway shape or form. Seriously, I was playing League of Legends yesterday and we had a close loss and the other team started ranting about how terrible we were (I was a 10,3,7 Voli so yeah.. ) and how "filthy casuals should stick to Destiny"... It was being used as an insult, which generally isn't a good sign for a new game...

Oh well. I guess I'll finally get to make my own verdict in a few days
Nothing ventured, nothing gained.

bond84
Stick Animator

#70 Post by bond84 »

I personally enjoy the game but it feels like a lot of it doesn't start until you hit 20.
Then you gotta snag you light armor and push to 30.

I unno, maybe I'm crazy but I enjoy the game quite a bit.
Would love to have a sig but I don't have anything sig worthy to be honest...

Schrodinger
Worth 1000 Words

#71 Post by Schrodinger »

Okay, I'll share the sentiment I've had about the debate for some time now. It's a good loot based shooter, functional and fun. What gets people so upset is that Destiny was hyped up by the media storm around it to be the second coming of Halo and promised blowjobs to come flying out of the machine.

It's indicative of a larger problem with the industry. The advertising budgets have gotten so inflated and they parrot these meaningless accolades promising far more than any product, even a masterwork, could possibly deliver.
What was it the spider said to the fly...

Ironworks
Templar Inner Circle

#72 Post by Ironworks »

MeaCulpa, S.C.M. wrote:the only working console I have that can play Destiny is a PS4 (my PS3 recently crashed), which none of my friends have.
My biggest issue with this game omg.
Had my friend come over to play it, he loved it, he went and bought it on Xbox One. Ugh.

This game was way overhyped.
Above average in terms of fun multiplayer, but with RNG drop system and a poop doody story, the game was way less than what I wanted.

However, even with that said...
bond84 wrote:I unno, maybe I'm crazy but I enjoy the game quite a bit.
It's so good to know I'm not crazy alone. Just hit level 26.
My man, tell me you're on PS4.

minime
Templar GrandMaster

#73 Post by minime »

So far I like this game a lot, and its really fun with friends. :flora:

Insomniac
The Experienced Virgin

#74 Post by Insomniac »

Having seen Angry Joe's review, I gotta say...The worst thing about this game isn't the flaws, or the stuff that was cut out to be sold as DLC later (which I'm convinced was Activision's doing since Bungie has never done something like this with story content before), but that the game still looks fun enough to play that I want it despite those things.
From the Sergals and Sergal Lovers channel of F-List's chat system (Beyond NSFW, by the way): Honey, you ain't the only abnormal sergal in here. We got three pink northerns, a fairy, and a dork with a talking sword.

Him
The Secret Forum Mod

#75 Post by Him »

As far as I can tell I will never play the game. Sadly, I think my gaming days are done. I'm probably never going to buy a new console again. Now, I've only heard good things about Destiny. Most of my friends recommend it and play it as much as possible. I myself however, dislike the look of it. This game is not original at all. There's too much... Halo in it. Don't get me wrong, Halo is my favorite gaming series, but they need to do something new. Sure, there's new, maybe even better content... so?... Even if a game is better than its predecessors it should be its own thing. You know what originally turned me away from Destiny? The Cabal Phalanx... in which I could only see a Hunter. The similarities between the two characters planted the seed of disfavor and it grows even now.

But yes... I have only heard praise about it IRL. Get it if you are unsure, most agree it's worth it. (I apologize for any choppiness. It is very late.)