TwoKinds Sims 2 Mod Ideas

For all your seizure inducing goodness!

Moderator: Moderators

BadFoMo
Grand Templar

TwoKinds Sims 2 Mod Ideas

#1 Post by BadFoMo »

Let me start off by saying I don't even know the first thing about making Sims 2 mods. These are just my ideas on how I would have such a thing function that I want to share with the community. Also, most of these ideas were inspired by my friend's ideas for a Fallout fan expansion pack.

This whole thing starts when you make a new neighborhood. When you get to the part where you name the new neighborhood, add a description and choose a terrain texture, there is now a list beside all of this showing the different presets you can have for this neighborhood. These presets determine what that neighborhood does and does not have. For example, in the TwoKinds preset the roads would be replaced with dirt or cobblestone paths, modern-day things (pretty much all the stuff that's in the game right now) would be unavailable to use, you'd be able to choose between Human, Keidran and Basitin when creating Sims, and so on.

Once the neighborhood has been created, you can start placing prebuilt/programmed or empty lots into the neighborhood. When placing an empty lot, you now have a few new options to choose when you name it. In addition to the options Residential and Community, there is now a third option called Abandoned. Abandoned is essentially Community without the NPCs and used mostly for creating Ruins/destroyed villages. If Community is selected, several sub options to determine what race/races of NPCs can be found there will appear. The race options include Human, Fox Keidran, Dog Keidran, Wolf Keidran, Tiger Keidran and Basitin. After all, you wouldn't want wild Wolf Keidran wandering around what's supposed to be a Humans only village, would you?

That's all I can think of without focusing on one subject at a time and making this entire thing a wall of text. Please tell me what you think, and if you would like me to go into detail on a subject, just let me know and I'll try to organize my thoughts into something a normal Human can understand.

P.S. I apologize if this is of the wrong area. I couldn't think of/find a better place to put it.
Why yes, in addition to the usual ships, I support Zen X Kathrin and Alaric X Laura.

TwoKinds Printable Game Toys!
Now crowd sourcing ideas!

TinyVoices
Templar Inner Circle
Fav. Twokinds Character: Kat

Re: TwoKinds Sims 2 Mod Ideas

#2 Post by TinyVoices »

Sounds cool, but I'm not really sure how difficult it is to make Sims mods.

And on top of that I most surely can not hide me playing the Sims: Furry Edition, so I'm an observer here. S:P

But the concept itself is quite interesting. There is a lot you could so with it, so long as you have the means to execute it. Some things I'd also point out is that I have never played a modded sims game before, and that I have never played the Sims 3 before. However, I do recall hearing that at one point or another there were some poorly made werewolves introduced into the game. I'd say that at the very least you'd want to start there. Keidran can be accepted as werewolves, if you really want to stretch it. Making animations and textures look more appealing would just add to the illusion.

Not sure how complex it'd be, but finding a way to adjust age progression would also need to be addressed. I've noticed before that regular sims age annoyingly quickly, so Keidran sims would probably be an even bigger bother. Only living about 1/3 that of regular sims, they'd be dead before most other sims have even become adults and gotten a job. Careers would suck, lol. But ya, I suppose that's why there are cheats. :mrgrin:

BadFoMo
Grand Templar

#3 Post by BadFoMo »

TinyVoices wrote:Sounds cool, but I'm not really sure how difficult it is to make Sims mods.
Neither do I, but I would imagine it would be extremely difficult, which is why I said I have no idea how to do any of this. Maybe I should've said that this is how it could work in theory if it were to actually be made.
TinyVoices wrote:However, I do recall hearing that at one point or another there were some poorly made werewolves introduced into the game. I'd say that at the very least you'd want to start there. Keidran can be accepted as werewolves, if you really want to stretch it. Making animations and textures look more appealing would just add to the illusion.
By ‘poorly made werewolves introduced into the game’ you mean the ones introduced in ‘Pets’, right? Like the one in the photo below?
If so, how would you make that work?
TinyVoices wrote:Not sure how complex it'd be, but finding a way to adjust age progression would also need to be addressed. I've noticed before that regular sims age annoyingly quickly, so Keidran sims would probably be an even bigger bother. Only living about 1/3 that of regular sims, they'd be dead before most other sims have even become adults and gotten a job. Careers would suck, lol. But ya, I suppose that's why there are cheats. :mrgrin:
I was considering leaving that out for the exact same reason you brought up. But now that I think of it, if we can't shorten the Keidran Sims life spans, why don't we just leave them as they are and make the lifespans of the Human and Basitin Sims longer?

As for the careers, I was thinking maybe items like the Schokolade 890 Chocolate Manufacturing Facility which would earn you money as you used it would replace the majority of the careers.
Another idea was getting on the good side of certain NPCs who would then offer you the opportunity to join groups like The Brotherhood, the Templar or the local militia. Once you join, you get access to areas you previously wouldn't have access to (provided that you actually placed them in your neighborhood), and even more NPCs would give you odd jobs like, “Travel to (lot name here) and (give this to/protect the area from/capture/retrieve the letter from/etc.) (NPC's name here). This job pays X amount of gold.”.

Anyway, this would probably be a good enough time as any to share my ideas for the Create-A-Sim changes.

The main one being, between the ‘Randomize’/‘Choose Existing Sim’ and the ‘Enter First Name’ options on the first menu the ‘Custom Skins’ option has been replaced with the species changer which lets you choose between Human, Basitin, Fox, Dog, Wolf and Tiger Keidran. They would still technically be normal Sims, but they could only wear certain clothing (due to the fact that you can't technically alter the Sim’s body you just alter the clothing that ‘replaces’ that part of their body (yes, whenever a Basitin or a Keidran would strip to take a bath it would be a different set of clothing that would only make them look naked)), would have to wear certain accessories at all times and only have certain skin tones available. In the case of the nonhuman Sims, their faces would be contorted somewhat so they would have a muzzle from the get go, and the Humans and Basitins would have the prolonged lifespans to make the Keidran lifespan look shorter in comparison.

So, what should I elaborate on next?
Why yes, in addition to the usual ships, I support Zen X Kathrin and Alaric X Laura.

TinyVoices
Templar Inner Circle

#4 Post by TinyVoices »

Oh my it took so long to write this all out. I spent about one hour each day for like 3 days writing it. :|
BadFoMo wrote:Neither do I, but I would imagine it would be extremely difficult, which is why I said I have no idea how to do any of this. Maybe I should've said that this is how it could work in theory if it were to actually be made.
Yeah, I know you said you were clueless too about how to make the mod, I just figured I'd mention that I don't know either. This still does seem like it would be a lot of work, though. So yeah, all theory I suppose. Still a cool concept to think of, though.
BadFoMo wrote:By ‘poorly made werewolves introduced into the game’ you mean the ones introduced in ‘Pets’, right? Like the one in the photo below?
[img]http://images.wikia.com/sims/images/8/8 ... olfsim.png[/mg]
If so, how would you make that work?
Well, for starters I guess I was just tossing ideas around there. I remember watching a video on youtube of the werewolves and stuff. They more or less just acted like humans, who occasionally stopped to scratch their ears and stuff. So, I would say that it'd be a stretch. I know certain traits, such as vampirism, affects the way which Sims interact with the world. Including movement and social interactions. So who knows, maybe it wouldn't be too hard to make a "race", and assign certain properties to that race.

But like I said, animations and textures for how they appear, and then the properties would take care of how they act and react. So, for example, a Keidran could be given a skin texture of the different kinds of Keidran. We pick the Fox texture, and the Keidran race would make that Fox have animations and interactions specific to that race. So, maybe be able to lick people in order to groom them, or lick their paws when they're standing idle. Sounds and stuff can also be assigned to that specific race. Just as an example. Not sure if that would be relatively easy or hard to make, but maybe you can imagine it for theory's sake.
BadFoMo wrote:I was considering leaving that out for the exact same reason you brought up. But now that I think of it, if we can't shorten the Keidran Sims life spans, why don't we just leave them as they are and make the lifespans of the Human and Basitin Sims longer?
That makes sense. But by how much would be in question still. Maybe 4 times the overall time a Keidran could live for, is the overall time a human can. Then for Basitin it would be just 3 times that of Keidran. Then Keidran would go through what is vanilla life span for Sims, Humans would be a baby for an extra 2 days, and so on. I forget how long someone stays a teen and adult, but I remember that for elder it's more of a "has been alive for __ days". Each elder would therefore have yet another set of race specific number of days before they die.

But I think it could work. Once again, maybe certain races could be chosen to have extended life spans. I never played as a vampire Sim- with aging on- for very long. So I don't really know if, say, they're immortal or live for a regular amount of time. But ya, pretty much that's as much as I could think you could do without going in and altering actual stuff in the game. As in: do a bunch of stuff i can't begin to comprehend.

Additional attributes could be like: Basitins are less likely to get sick, and their energy doesn't go down as quickly. Not sure how to do that exactly, like code wise or whatever. But ya. Tossing that idea around and whatnot.
BadFoMo wrote:As for the careers, I was thinking maybe items like the Schokolade 890 Chocolate Manufacturing Facility which would earn you money as you used it would replace the majority of the careers.
Another idea was getting on the good side of certain NPCs who would then offer you the opportunity to join groups like The Brotherhood, the Templar or the local militia. Once you join, you get access to areas you previously wouldn't have access to (provided that you actually placed them in your neighborhood), and even more NPCs would give you odd jobs like, “Travel to (lot name here) and (give this to/protect the area from/capture/retrieve the letter from/etc.) (NPC's name here). This job pays X amount of gold.”.
Not a bad idea. As a general observation though, Sims are very stubborn and cumbersome, so "protect" missions would be kind of irritating. You gotta protect something or someone, but you spawn on the map a far length away from your objective and your Sim decides they need to yell at a wall for an hour. Then your objective gets bored and walks off the map.

Not sure how well capturing would work either, though I suppose it could be made easier if invading/defending Sims would have to be fought individually. Would suck if your Sim died because they lost one fight with a sword, but that could be one of the expected outcomes. Maybe instead just make their Needs go down a lot if they lose, and/or their aspiration goes down. Something along those lines. If we start making them actually die automatically because they lost a dual or failed a mission, then I'd say that it would no longer feel like the Sims. I can see them falling on their butts like when they lose a fist fight in vanilla, though.
BadFoMo wrote:Anyway, this would probably be a good enough time as any to share my ideas for the Create-A-Sim changes.

The main one being, between the ‘Randomize’/‘Choose Existing Sim’ and the ‘Enter First Name’ options on the first menu the ‘Custom Skins’ option has been replaced with the species changer which lets you choose between Human, Basitin, Fox, Dog, Wolf and Tiger Keidran. They would still technically be normal Sims, but they could only wear certain clothing (due to the fact that you can't technically alter the Sim’s body you just alter the clothing that ‘replaces’ that part of their body (yes, whenever a Basitin or a Keidran would strip to take a bath it would be a different set of clothing that would only make them look naked)), would have to wear certain accessories at all times and only have certain skin tones available. In the case of the nonhuman Sims, their faces would be contorted somewhat so they would have a muzzle from the get go, and the Humans and Basitins would have the prolonged lifespans to make the Keidran lifespan look shorter in comparison.
Sounds good. Seems a lot like what I suggested as well.

I can't completely understand the clothing which replaces body parts, though. Did you mean like a shirt/"shirt" replacing the torso? So, like a tiger Keidran would have the option of wearing a shirt which had a white front and an orange back, so it was like they were naked? And then they could also choose to wear a regular shirt, etc., I presume. I think that might be what you meant, since ya I don't think you can make your Sim run around in the nude. Just wear, at the most, clothes that have the same texture as the Sim's body.

I'd say that this would pretty much fill in the bath suit as well, considering the fact that the game makes the Sim be naked when they bathe. I know there's also a cheat or something which can turn off the blur for sims when they get naked, so you wouldn't be like "lol, naked tiger took off "clothes", and is now censored." Since that does seem silly. Not sure if you can take away the censor for the anthros, but keep it for the humans, but hey oh well. They still have Ken doll anatomy either way.
BadFoMo wrote:So, what should I elaborate on next?
Well, besides what I've mentioned in this post, how will having kids work out? Maybe avoid hybrids, and stick with something like Keidran+Human= 50/50 for one of them? So Like a Keidran and Human would either have a human baby, or a Keidran baby. Unless you want to make 3 more "races" just for the hybrids. That'd be a lot more work, though. And I'm pretty sure that any time a male and a female tries for a child, there's a chance that they'll become pregnant. So you'd need to consider that.

How will things like toilets, refrigerators, sinks, etc, work? Will they be replaced with lower tech? If so then how will you go about that? Maybe just change the textures? Make it so that BBQs don't burn stuff inside, and replace them with an open fire with a pot on top. Stoves could look different and run on magic, which could then also explain the "electricity" bill for other things as well. More of a lampshade type thing, though. Since doing this and being serious about it would complicate things more. Like, how can a Basitin use a stove, if it takes magic to do so. But if you don't want to keep the modern stove whatsoever, then you might have to also consider either making it "wood burning", where you just change the texture and maybe fix up the animations, or else change everything entirely. I'm not sure how easy it is to alter or create animations for the Sims, so I'm just trying to make touching that object in the game a rare thing.

I'm sure there's a few other things to consider, but I think that's the basic things to think of. Another thing though: I don't think people will have Superhero as a logical top career position, but oh well if that does stay vanilla. Besides that, the police can become militia or templar or something.

Well, that's all I got for now. So got all that? :P

BadFoMo
Grand Templar

#5 Post by BadFoMo »

TinyVoices wrote:Well, for starters I guess I was just tossing ideas around there. I remember watching a video on youtube of the werewolves and stuff. They more or less just acted like humans, who occasionally stopped to scratch their ears and stuff. So, I would say that it'd be a stretch. I know certain traits, such as vampirism, affects the way which Sims interact with the world. Including movement and social interactions. So who knows, maybe it wouldn't be too hard to make a "race", and assign certain properties to that race.

But like I said, animations and textures for how they appear, and then the properties would take care of how they act and react. So, for example, a Keidran could be given a skin texture of the different kinds of Keidran. We pick the Fox texture, and the Keidran race would make that Fox have animations and interactions specific to that race. So, maybe be able to lick people in order to groom them, or lick their paws when they're standing idle. Sounds and stuff can also be assigned to that specific race. Just as an example. Not sure if that would be relatively easy or hard to make, but maybe you can imagine it for theory's sake.

Additional attributes could be like: Basitins are less likely to get sick, and their energy doesn't go down as quickly. Not sure how to do that exactly, like code wise or whatever. But ya. Tossing that idea around and whatnot.
So essentially these ‘races’ would technically be different life states? I can't think of a better way to do it. As you said, every race can have its own advantages and disadvantages, the Keidran and Basitin races would (like the Werewolf, Vampire and PlantSim) have accessories which could not be removed (the ears, tail and sometimes canine molders) and (like the Servo Robots) would only have access to certain sets of clothing, while the Basitin and Human races would (like the Zombie, Vampire and the Servo Robots) would have their life prolonged.

About the skins, I was thinking that there would be different shades of the same ‘skin’ for each race. If you'll notice, while Mike and Laura are both Fox Keidran, Laura's fur is slightly redder than Mike's.
TinyVoices wrote:That makes sense. But by how much would be in question still. Maybe 4 times the overall time a Keidran could live for, is the overall time a human can. Then for Basitin it would be just 3 times that of Keidran. Then Keidran would go through what is vanilla life span for Sims, Humans would be a baby for an extra 2 days, and so on. I forget how long someone stays a teen and adult, but I remember that for elder it's more of a "has been alive for __ days". Each elder would therefore have yet another set of race specific number of days before they die.
I'd say they'd either live to be three times older (setting the age of around 60 due to this being a medieval setting and life expectancy isn't all that long) or four times older (setting the age of around 80 due to this setting having magic which could set it on par with our modern society)

On a strange side note, this means that there would technically be no ‘normal’ Sims and their life states would be incurable.

TinyVoices wrote:Not a bad idea. As a general observation though, Sims are very stubborn and cumbersome, so "protect" missions would be kind of irritating. You gotta protect something or someone, but you spawn on the map a far length away from your objective and your Sim decides they need to yell at a wall for an hour. Then your objective gets bored and walks off the map.
I'm not sure I follow you, would you please explain?
TinyVoices wrote:Not sure how well capturing would work either, though I suppose it could be made easier if invading/defending Sims would have to be fought individually. Would suck if your Sim died because they lost one fight with a sword, but that could be one of the expected outcomes. Maybe instead just make their Needs go down a lot if they lose, and/or their aspiration goes down. Something along those lines. If we start making them actually die automatically because they lost a dual or failed a mission, then I'd say that it would no longer feel like the Sims. I can see them falling on their butts like when they lose a fist fight in vanilla, though.
My friend was thinking of a turn-based combat system (similar to Fallout 1&2) where you could choose what to do instead of “letting the chips fall where they may” like with a normal fight in the game. However, you bring up a very interesting point that he didn't think of, the player's death. I'm not sure if, after dying on a community lot, you can reload the game to get your Sim back, but how about the concept of extra lives? I'm not exactly sure how you would get extra lives (maybe they would be hidden somewhere on abandoned lots), but they do work pretty much like extra lives in other games. If the player's health reaches zero during the battle, they would simply lose one of these extra lives and not be allowed to fight until they got their health back up (the extra life acting as a sort of life support for the player's character).

TinyVoices wrote:I can't completely understand the clothing which replaces body parts, though. Did you mean like a shirt/"shirt" replacing the torso? So, like a tiger Keidran would have the option of wearing a shirt which had a white front and an orange back, so it was like they were naked? And then they could also choose to wear a regular shirt, etc., I presume. I think that might be what you meant, since ya I don't think you can make your Sim run around in the nude. Just wear, at the most, clothes that have the same texture as the Sim's body.

I'd say that this would pretty much fill in the bath suit as well, considering the fact that the game makes the Sim be naked when they bathe. I know there's also a cheat or something which can turn off the blur for sims when they get naked, so you wouldn't be like "lol, naked tiger took off "clothes", and is now censored." Since that does seem silly. Not sure if you can take away the censor for the anthros, but keep it for the humans, but hey oh well. They still have Ken doll anatomy either way.
Sort of, I think. They're very similar to Lego Minifigures in the sense that if you want one to have a peg leg, need to swap out the pair of legs they have right now with a pair of legs which has a peg leg. I'm mostly suggesting this for the Digitigrade legs. I think it's impossible for Sims to have their limbs modified in any way besides clothing, so the next best thing to do is to have them only be able to use certain clothing which has the Digitigrade legs. The reason I would like for them to be forced to use special suits when they decide to take a bath is also for this reason. Normally, when Sims get naked, they will use their ‘base’ body. Which for the nonhuman races means that they would suddenly become Plantigrade instead of Digitigrade.

An example of this is already in the game. By putting Create-a-Sim into debug mode,
Spoiler!
simply by opening up the console, typing in boolProp testingCheatsEnabled true, going into Create-a-Sim and pressing Shift and N,
you can see closing that your Sim shouldn't normally have access to. The simplest form is the Mad Scientist’s outfit which has a mechanical hand. If your Sim wears anything other than that suit, the mechanical hand disappears. Another example would be the Servo Robot outfit from ‘Open for Business’. A normal human body can't fit into that suit (unless it's like an old diving suit that experiences a pressurization failure at its maximum depth, but that has some irreversible effects) which makes it obvious that the clothing replaces the body.

TinyVoices wrote:Well, besides what I've mentioned in this post, how will having kids work out? Maybe avoid hybrids, and stick with something like Keidran+Human= 50/50 for one of them? So Like a Keidran and Human would either have a human baby, or a Keidran baby. Unless you want to make 3 more "races" just for the hybrids. That'd be a lot more work, though. And I'm pretty sure that any time a male and a female tries for a child, there's a chance that they'll become pregnant. So you'd need to consider that.
I'd have to go with the 50-50 chance of the child being one or the other with physical traits of both. If we add an additional three life states for the hybrids, what would we do for their children? I don't know about you, but I don't really feel like thinking about how many combinations of how much Human, Keidran and Basitin genes could be one hybrid should to hybrids decide to ‘get jiggy with it’.
TinyVoices wrote:How will things like toilets, refrigerators, sinks, etc, work? Will they be replaced with lower tech? If so then how will you go about that? Maybe just change the textures? Make it so that BBQs don't burn stuff inside, and replace them with an open fire with a pot on top. Stoves could look different and run on magic, which could then also explain the "electricity" bill for other things as well. More of a lampshade type thing, though. Since doing this and being serious about it would complicate things more. Like, how can a Basitin use a stove, if it takes magic to do so. But if you don't want to keep the modern stove whatsoever, then you might have to also consider either making it "wood burning", where you just change the texture and maybe fix up the animations, or else change everything entirely. I'm not sure how easy it is to alter or create animations for the Sims, so I'm just trying to make touching that object in the game a rare thing.
I was considering going the low-tech route. After all, how did people get by back in the real version of the Middle Ages? However, we could still have enchanted items for certain things (the Basitins can't use magic, but does this mean they can't use enchanted items?) which would be the more expensive ‘high-tech’ items. For example, normally (as in right now in the Sims/real life) you could just simply wash the dishes in the sink or, if you can afford it, get a dishwasher installed to have them washed automatically. As for things like the electric bill, I was thinking maybe having those removed entirely and is being replaced with Routine Services which would charge you after the job was done for things like restocking the stove with wood, replacing the burned-out candles and refilling the water basins (maybe? I don't really know that much about how things worked in the Middle Ages).
TinyVoices wrote:I'm sure there's a few other things to consider, but I think that's the basic things to think of. Another thing though: I don't think people will have Superhero as a logical top career position, but oh well if that does stay vanilla. Besides that, the police can become militia or templar or something.
Sorry, I'm not sure I follow you here either, would you please explain?

Not sure what also talk about now. Maybe the lots and how they might work?

TinyVoices
Templar Inner Circle

#6 Post by TinyVoices »

BadFoMo wrote:-life states-

-fur shades-
Ya, life states work fine. And I think you might be capable of getting different shades for each race. Though if I remember right when you create-a-sim, you choose between skin color or something different. Like, alien or something. Not sure if you can outright choose a different life state. In-game, you have to become a werewolf or vampire. Those are curable, though. In this case, becoming a fuzzy is indeed permanent. Unless, y'know, you want to throw a wrench in those gears. :raine:
BadFoMo wrote:I'd say they'd either live to be three times older (setting the age of around 60 due to this being a medieval setting and life expectancy isn't all that long) or four times older (setting the age of around 80 due to this setting having magic which could set it on par with our modern society)

On a strange side note, this means that there would technically be no ‘normal’ Sims and their life states would be incurable.
Very well, but that's more of a lampshade explanation than anything else. The reason being that the important things are already addressed. That is, making a distinction between keidran and the others, since that is the most obvious distinction when it comes to life durations.
BadFoMo wrote:
TinyVoices wrote:Not a bad idea. As a general observation though, Sims are very stubborn and cumbersome, so "protect" missions would be kind of irritating. You gotta protect something or someone, but you spawn on the map a far length away from your objective and your Sim decides they need to yell at a wall for an hour. Then your objective gets bored and walks off the map.
Well, I'm not too sure how your experience has been with playing the Sims 2. I have had many moments where my Sims will glitch, or otherwise decide that they do not want to comply. I may tell them to go somewhere. Somewhere they have been several times. And they will just look over there and tell me that they can't walk there. So they'll "scream at a wall for an hour." If you need someone to get somewhere quickly, this will spell disaster. And in the past, where I did need my sims to go somewhere quickly (be it because of dangerously low Needs or just needing to go to work or something), they failed me. Additionally, I've had NPCs randomly get bored and leave the lot because of some reason or another. One good way I've found to get this glitch to happen, is if my sim is forced to interact with them, but for some reason cannot or I tell them not to (by cancelling the action). Enough time goes by, and the NPC seemingly turns into a real sim. They may go off and watch TV, or else use the toilet fifty times, or still otherwise just leave like I've previously mentioned.

Basically, if time is of the essence, then you may either find some hilarious- or otherwise game breaking- glitches.
BadFoMo wrote:My friend was thinking of a turn-based combat system (similar to Fallout 1&2) where you could choose what to do instead of “letting the chips fall where they may” like with a normal fight in the game.
Mmmm. Don't like that. The Sims isn't turn based. It's supposed to be a life simulator. Some form of control over the NPCs is good, but it'll get boring if you could technically put the game on pause because of that. One exception, however, is if you get multiple Sims dealing with one individual. Then that individual must deal with each person turn by turn. This, however brings in the chance at glitching again. I know from experience. :P

And to answer that question about whether death on a community lot is permanent, well, I've never had someone die on a community lot before. Generally being in public removes the ability to die by most causes, such as electrocution, fright, and flies. Your hunger can not kill you, either, if I recall correctly. So death on a community lot is, so far, unheard of. So reversing it becomes moot. As for people dying elsewhere, well I believe that is permanent unless you do not save.
BadFoMo wrote:-extra lives-
That also defeats the purpose of simulating life. Even if this is a fantasy setting, I'd say that extra lives makes it all moot. Additionally, turn base and extra lives would probably be pretty complex. Not too sure, but I just don't see those suddenly being implemented.

Another set back to loosing a fight or mission that I just thought of though, would be if you lost skills due to a fight. Like if you lost body skill or something. I believe you could also lose money, or have some other form of repercussion. I suppose I'm just trying to keep things as traditionally Sims 2 as possible. I've never played any of the add-ons or anything, however. I have Sims 2 Deluxe, but that only has Vampires in it as a life state. So, if there already is a turn based system, or extra life system, then I do not know of it nor do I see it as attractive.
BadFoMo wrote:Sort of, I think. They're very similar to Lego Minifigures in the sense that if you want one to have a peg leg, need to swap out the pair of legs they have right now with a pair of legs which has a peg leg. ...

An example of this is already in the game. ... A normal human body can't fit into that suit (unless it's like an old diving suit that experiences a pressurization failure at its maximum depth, but that has some irreversible effects) which makes it obvious that the clothing replaces the body.
Interesting. Well, I suppose if you think that would work, then I'm cool with it and whatnot. As long as my Sim isn't suddenly swimming in the floor because of awkward skin transitions or some such thing, then I'm fine. :P
BadFoMo wrote:I'd have to go with the 50-50 chance of the child being one or the other with physical traits of both. If we add an additional three life states for the hybrids, what would we do for their children? I don't know about you, but I don't really feel like thinking about how many combinations of how much Human, Keidran and Basitin genes could be one hybrid should to hybrids decide to ‘get jiggy with it’.
Ya, see, it gets uber complicated pretty quickly. It's best to just keep things simple. Maybe I'm just trying to think of how to actually get this to work as a mod, and you're just playing with the theory, but trying to figure out complicated things like that wouldn't be too fun.

If there were hybrids, however, I'd want to say that it would just be a random child determined by who the parents are. If parent A is a tiger-human, and parent B is just human, then the baby could be either a tiger-human, a human, or a tiger. So the combos would only ever work to the second stage- never getting beyond two different races mixed into one. The possibilities would then be:

Parent A + Parent B = Possible Offspring
Tiger + Tiger = Tiger (And etc for other races)

Tiger + Human = Tiger
Tiger + Human = Human
Tiger + Human = Hybrid Tiger-Human (And etc for other such pure-bred race combos)

Hybrid Tiger-Human + Human = Hybrid Tiger-Human
Hybrid Tiger-Human + Human = Tiger
Hybrid Tiger-Human + Human = Human (And etc for other such combos)

Hybrid Tiger-Human + Basitin = Hybrid Tiger-Human
Hybrid Tiger-Human + Basitin = Hybrid Tiger-Basitin
Hybrid Tiger-Human + Basitin = Hybrid Human-Basitin
Hybrid Tiger-Human + Basitin = Tiger
Hybrid Tiger-Human + Basitin = Human
Hybrid Tiger-Human + Basitin = Basitin (And etc.)

And of course you can replace Tiger with any other Keidran and get similar results. How this affects life spans and whatnot, well I'm not quite sure...
BadFoMo wrote:(the Basitins can't use magic, but does this mean they can't use enchanted items?)
I think that, at worst, that could just be ignored. I think they can use enchanted things, so long as it doesn't require an exchange of magic to make it work.
BadFoMo wrote:As for things like the electric bill, I was thinking maybe having those removed entirely and is being replaced with Routine Services which would charge you after the job was done for things like restocking the stove with wood, replacing the burned-out candles and refilling the water basins (maybe? I don't really know that much about how things worked in the Middle Ages).
That could work, if those sorts of interactions are able to be introduced. For the sake of imagination, it works just fine. Honestly, I think that that would actually be a nice change to the sims. It adds things, without necessarily changing anything. If anything, it picks up where the creators left off, since the electricity bill was pretty much just a way to say "turn off the lights and don't flush the toilet, or else you gotta pay a lot of money." This makes it so that that bill is actually quite practical. If you don't get your things replaced, then you have to stumble around in the dark. You could always replace things yourself, but at the price of being unable to go about your day.
BadFoMo wrote:
TinyVoices wrote:I'm sure there's a few other things to consider, but I think that's the basic things to think of. Another thing though: I don't think people will have Superhero as a logical top career position, but oh well if that does stay vanilla. Besides that, the police can become militia or templar or something.
Well, I know that in Sims 2 Deluxe, the top rank for the Law Enforcement career is "Superhero". If possible, you might want to look into removing that. You did say something about making your Sim have to go to missions and stuff for money, but I'm just toying with the idea of keeping certain Vanilla-esque things in the game. That way I don't always have to go off and manually tell them to beat people up for $50. Just... change those vanilla jobs so that they aren't silly and inappropriate. A superhero in Mekkan? There are other such jobs which need this kind of attention. You could go into the game and just change names, skins, and prompts. Stuff like that.

So, basically, my Keidran Sim isn't going off to be a CEO at some company, and her limousine didn't just pull up to pick her up. She's going off to manage an Inn or something, and that's her horse cart or whatever. And instead of some game prompt (I forget what the game calls these prompts) showing up asking me if she should do something in particular at work, it asks me this prompt, just worded differently to fit the circumstances. Get it?

And then on another note, what happens when I call the police? Well, who is the police for Mekkan? Whoever it is, make them the "police". So change the police skins and such to look appropriate. Detail work.
BadFoMo wrote:Not sure what also talk about now. Maybe the lots and how they might work?
That's a toughy. Do you mean like the different kinds of lots? Residential versus community? Man, it's been a while since I last played. Can't remember if there are any other types of lots to chose from.

Basically, though. You could opt to make a building a restaurant in the regular game, or maybe a store even. Maybe we could do something like add new items or something to make a lot have other meanings. You said that certain lots could be like ruins and such, so there's a start. Abandoned lots sound interesting, but they'd be pretty much just pieces of artwork if you couldn't add some dynamic to it.

And ya, I know you already posted some of this stuff on deviantArt. Oh well. I like this stuff all the same, and it does look like at least one guy is excited to see this as an actual mod.

BadFoMo
Grand Templar

#7 Post by BadFoMo »

I'm sorry it took so long to respond, this is a complete nightmare to try and think up and write.
TinyVoices wrote:
BadFoMo wrote:-life states-

-fur shades-
Ya, life states work fine. And I think you might be capable of getting different shades for each race. Though if I remember right when you create-a-sim, you choose between skin color or something different. Like, alien or something. Not sure if you can outright choose a different life state. In-game, you have to become a werewolf or vampire. Those are curable, though. In this case, becoming a fuzzy is indeed permanent. Unless, y'know, you want to throw a wrench in those gears. :raine:
You remember correctly. In the debug mode I mentioned earlier, other skins such as Alien, Zombie, the Mannequin from Body Shop and others can be found in the Custom Skins area. Unfortunately, as you've seen in that mock picture I made, that area has been replaced with the race option.

You're right, it is impossible to choose a life state in Create-A-Sim (with maybe the exception of the alien since its technically just a normal Sim with green skin, black eyes and no other programming to make it act any different), but the idea for this was that this would be somewhat like what I think is called a ‘Total Conversion Mod’ where this sort of thing could just simply happen.

Now that I think about it, permanent is not exactly the right word. No other alternative seems like a better description now that I think of it. Let's say that the Life States are like Vampirism from the Nightlife expansion pack. You could buy (or make a potion if you have Apartment Life) a potion to cure vampirism. In the TwoKinds theme, such a potion is unavailable. Anyway, you bring up a very interesting point. I was originally thinking that the Life States would just be swapped out with one another in shape shifter/curse situations, but then I remember hearing on more than one occasion that the lifespan of the changed individual does not change, whereas in my original idea it would. So now I'm thinking that the different Life States should have a hidden option (which is unlocked in various ways) that allows them to take the form of the other five Life States.

Update. Due to recent events in the comic, my original idea for the transformations could probably be reinserted back into this idea, but will need to be thought out a little more.

TinyVoices wrote:
BadFoMo wrote:I'd say they'd either live to be three times older (setting the age of around 60 due to this being a medieval setting and life expectancy isn't all that long) or four times older (setting the age of around 80 due to this setting having magic which could set it on par with our modern society)

Very well, but that's more of a lampshade explanation than anything else. The reason being that the important things are already addressed. That is, making a distinction between keidran and the others, since that is the most obvious distinction when it comes to life durations.
What exactly do you mean by lampshade explanation?

TinyVoices wrote:
BadFoMo wrote:
Well, I'm not too sure how your experience has been with playing the Sims 2. I have had many moments where my Sims will glitch, or otherwise decide that they do not want to comply. I may tell them to go somewhere. Somewhere they have been several times. And they will just look over there and tell me that they can't walk there. So they'll "scream at a wall for an hour." If you need someone to get somewhere quickly, this will spell disaster. And in the past, where I did need my sims to go somewhere quickly (be it because of dangerously low Needs or just needing to go to work or something), they failed me. Additionally, I've had NPCs randomly get bored and leave the lot because of some reason or another. One good way I've found to get this glitch to happen, is if my sim is forced to interact with them, but for some reason cannot or I tell them not to (by cancelling the action). Enough time goes by, and the NPC seemingly turns into a real sim. They may go off and watch TV, or else use the toilet fifty times, or still otherwise just leave like I've previously mentioned.

Basically, if time is of the essence, then you may either find some hilarious- or otherwise game breaking- glitches.
I think I know what you're talking about. I haven't exactly had much experience with community lots, but I am familiar with Sims complaining about objects, walls or other Sims blocking their path and, in the case of The Sims 1 (which I've been playing recently to gather ideas), I think they canceled out their orders in order to complain about something. I don't know how to fix that last one, but if this thing was actually real, it would most likely come with lots prebuilt which would hopefully be built properly to eliminate some of the first problems.

TinyVoices wrote:
BadFoMo wrote:My friend was thinking of a turn-based combat system (similar to Fallout 1&2) where you could choose what to do instead of “letting the chips fall where they may” like with a normal fight in the game.
Mmmm. Don't like that. The Sims isn't turn based. It's supposed to be a life simulator. Some form of control over the NPCs is good, but it'll get boring if you could technically put the game on pause because of that. One exception, however, is if you get multiple Sims dealing with one individual. Then that individual must deal with each person turn by turn. This, however brings in the chance at glitching again. I know from experience. :P

And to answer that question about whether death on a community lot is permanent, well, I've never had someone die on a community lot before. Generally being in public removes the ability to die by most causes, such as electrocution, fright, and flies. Your hunger can not kill you, either, if I recall correctly. So death on a community lot is, so far, unheard of. So reversing it becomes moot. As for people dying elsewhere, well I believe that is permanent unless you do not save.
Well, there were two other ideas for the combat system. The first one being a simple hope that your skills and what bonuses you have are better than the skills and bonuses of the one they are attacking and see what happens. The second one having a little more strategy to it than being based loosely on the old dueling activity introduced in ‘Makin’ Magic’ where the NPC would make the first choice and give you a few seconds to either successfully counter it or outright beat it. It's essentially a glorified version of Rock Paper Scissors.

TinyVoices wrote:
BadFoMo wrote:-extra lives-
That also defeats the purpose of simulating life. Even if this is a fantasy setting, I'd say that extra lives makes it all moot. Additionally, turn base and extra lives would probably be pretty complex. Not too sure, but I just don't see those suddenly being implemented.

Another set back to loosing a fight or mission that I just thought of though, would be if you lost skills due to a fight. Like if you lost body skill or something. I believe you could also lose money, or have some other form of repercussion. I suppose I'm just trying to keep things as traditionally Sims 2 as possible. I've never played any of the add-ons or anything, however. I have Sims 2 Deluxe, but that only has Vampires in it as a life state. So, if there already is a turn based system, or extra life system, then I do not know of it nor do I see it as attractive.
If the extra lives thing is a bad idea, I'm all for your suggestion of either losing some money (NPC: You attacked me first, I think it's more than fair that I take your money in exchange for your life.) or skill points (Your Sim: I guess I'm not as good as I thought I was.). Either that, or they become incapacitated and can't get up on their own (an idea I got from my friend play Left 4 Dead and Payday: the Heist). In this idea they would need either their friends they brought along with them who didn't become incapacitated (or didn't fight at all), or wait for the healer, who conveniently arrives sometime after whoever you lost to has left the lot, to come find you.

TinyVoices wrote:
BadFoMo wrote:Sort of, I think. They're very similar to Lego Minifigures in the sense that if you want one to have a peg leg, need to swap out the pair of legs they have right now with a pair of legs which has a peg leg. ...

An example of this is already in the game. ... A normal human body can't fit into that suit (unless it's like an old diving suit that experiences a pressurization failure at its maximum depth, but that has some irreversible effects) which makes it obvious that the clothing replaces the body.
Interesting. Well, I suppose if you think that would work, then I'm cool with it and whatnot. As long as my Sim isn't suddenly swimming in the floor because of awkward skin transitions or some such thing, then I'm fine. :P
They shouldn't do that. I'm no expert, but something tells me that the clothing and the animations are two separate departments which usually don't interact with one another.

TinyVoices wrote:
BadFoMo wrote:I'd have to go with the 50-50 chance of the child being one or the other with physical traits of both. If we add an additional three life states for the hybrids, what would we do for their children? I don't know about you, but I don't really feel like thinking about how many combinations of how much Human, Keidran and Basitin genes could be one hybrid should to hybrids decide to ‘get jiggy with it’.
Ya, see, it gets uber complicated pretty quickly. It's best to just keep things simple. Maybe I'm just trying to think of how to actually get this to work as a mod, and you're just playing with the theory, but trying to figure out complicated things like that wouldn't be too fun.

If there were hybrids, however, I'd want to say that it would just be a random child determined by who the parents are. If parent A is a tiger-human, and parent B is just human, then the baby could be either a tiger-human, a human, or a tiger. So the combos would only ever work to the second stage- never getting beyond two different races mixed into one. The possibilities would then be:

Parent A + Parent B = Possible Offspring
Tiger + Tiger = Tiger (And etc for other races)

Tiger + Human = Tiger
Tiger + Human = Human
Tiger + Human = Hybrid Tiger-Human (And etc for other such pure-bred race combos)

Hybrid Tiger-Human + Human = Hybrid Tiger-Human
Hybrid Tiger-Human + Human = Tiger
Hybrid Tiger-Human + Human = Human (And etc for other such combos)

Hybrid Tiger-Human + Basitin = Hybrid Tiger-Human
Hybrid Tiger-Human + Basitin = Hybrid Tiger-Basitin
Hybrid Tiger-Human + Basitin = Hybrid Human-Basitin
Hybrid Tiger-Human + Basitin = Tiger
Hybrid Tiger-Human + Basitin = Human
Hybrid Tiger-Human + Basitin = Basitin (And etc.)

And of course you can replace Tiger with any other Keidran and get similar results. How this affects life spans and whatnot, well I'm not quite sure...
I was going to suggest something a little simpler due to not wanting to add any sub races to the race chooser, but then it suddenly hit me. Why not have the sub races hidden like the different Life States are right now? Your logic would work here very nicely.

TinyVoices wrote:
BadFoMo wrote:
Well, I know that in Sims 2 Deluxe, the top rank for the Law Enforcement career is "Superhero". If possible, you might want to look into removing that. You did say something about making your Sim have to go to missions and stuff for money, but I'm just toying with the idea of keeping certain Vanilla-esque things in the game. That way I don't always have to go off and manually tell them to beat people up for $50. Just... change those vanilla jobs so that they aren't silly and inappropriate. A superhero in Mekkan? There are other such jobs which need this kind of attention. You could go into the game and just change names, skins, and prompts. Stuff like that.

So, basically, my Keidran Sim isn't going off to be a CEO at some company, and her limousine didn't just pull up to pick her up. She's going off to manage an Inn or something, and that's her horse cart or whatever. And instead of some game prompt (I forget what the game calls these prompts) showing up asking me if she should do something in particular at work, it asks me this prompt, just worded differently to fit the circumstances. Get it?
I had no intention of removing simple jobs like that. Just doing what you suggested was what I had in mind for those. I think they should be simple/boring jobs like Scribe, Fishermen, Hunter, things like that.

TinyVoices wrote:And then on another note, what happens when I call the police? Well, who is the police for Mekkan? Whoever it is, make them the "police". So change the police skins and such to look appropriate. Detail work.
Your Sim: Guards! Help! There's a burglar over here!
Police Guard: Stop right there criminal scum!

TinyVoices wrote:
BadFoMo wrote:Not sure what also talk about now. Maybe the lots and how they might work?
That's a toughy. Do you mean like the different kinds of lots? Residential versus community? Man, it's been a while since I last played. Can't remember if there are any other types of lots to chose from.

Basically, though. You could opt to make a building a restaurant in the regular game, or maybe a store even. Maybe we could do something like add new items or something to make a lot have other meanings. You said that certain lots could be like ruins and such, so there's a start. Abandoned lots sound interesting, but they'd be pretty much just pieces of artwork if you couldn't add some dynamic to it.
While there are technically different types of lots, usually once you can legally make are Residential and Community.

Anyway, that was what I was thinking of. There'd be new items to make things like General Stores, Taverns, Smithies, Bathhouses, and others which I am probably forgetting. As for the abandoned lots, perhaps they would serve as places where he could potentially find goodies/meet up with other Sims you're told to meet up with on certain jobs.

TinyVoices
Templar Inner Circle

#8 Post by TinyVoices »

BadFoMo wrote:I'm sorry it took so long to respond, this is a complete nightmare to try and think up and write.
Heh, it's cool. I think that's sort of unavoidable at certain points. My excuse is that I'm busy and yada yada. We're the only two posting in here, so that's one reason why it seems so sucky to not reply so quickly.
BadFoMo wrote:Unfortunately, as you've seen in that mock picture I made, that area has been replaced with the race option.
More or less those are custom skins, so aw well.
BadFoMo wrote:You're right, it is impossible to choose a life state in Create-A-Sim (with maybe the exception of the alien since its technically just a normal Sim with green skin, black eyes and no other programming to make it act any different), but the idea for this was that this would be somewhat like what I think is called a ‘Total Conversion Mod’ where this sort of thing could just simply happen.
Indeed, I believe that would be a total conversion mod to some extent. This could be forgivable, however. It pretty much just gives you the chance at living these life states from the beginning, and that's about it.
BadFoMo wrote:Anyway, you bring up a very interesting point. I was originally thinking that the Life States would just be swapped out with one another in shape shifter/curse situations, but then I remember hearing on more than one occasion that the lifespan of the changed individual does not change, whereas in my original idea it would. So now I'm thinking that the different Life States should have a hidden option (which is unlocked in various ways) that allows them to take the form of the other five Life States.

Update. Due to recent events in the comic, my original idea for the transformations could probably be reinserted back into this idea, but will need to be thought out a little more.
Seems complex, but pretty fun as well. Like a little easter egg or something, almost. Life span changes might be something you'd want to think about, though. Maybe starting out as a Keidran, and then turning human and effectively tripling your life span could be seen differently between different people. It wouldn't concern myself, since I turn aging off, but still. You would also have that fact that an elder Keidran is the same as an adult human. So you cheat that human out of youth. Might be an okey form of nerfing it, though. You want to become a new race? Then you'll carry over your age state. Maybe just do that. If you're 3 days into being an adult Keidran, then you'll be 3 days into being anything else as an adult.

But, yes. Definitely think about it some. You can't make it completely canon- just cause sims age awkwardly to start with- but maybe you could try to add a little bit of a spin to it to make it more interesting.
BadFoMo wrote:
TinyVoices wrote:Very well, but that's more of a lampshade explanation than anything else. The reason being that the important things are already addressed. That is, making a distinction between keidran and the others, since that is the most obvious distinction when it comes to life durations.
What exactly do you mean by lampshade explanation?
Well, being a bit of a hypocrite and using a Trope for a second- a lampshade argument or otherwise is generally a tool used in literature wherein you briefly address an issue, as to add some kind of reason to it, and then hide it and never discuss it again. There are really a whole bunch of similar such concepts, so I may be using the right one here, but then it doesn't apply elsewhere.

But yes, basically what I mean is that you're just filling in a plot hole somewhat- or else explaining why something is the way it is in particular, and then moving on. "Why do people in the middle ages live to see 80?" 'Magic, mostly.'

And the other portions are because it's a video game, and we presume that this is just a convenient proportion between Keidran Sims and the other two races. Logic is limited, so our arguments really just come down to that. No more is/should be needed. I think I'm using this at least somewhat correctly, but honestly I should stop being lazy and just say what I mean.
BadFoMo wrote:
TinyVoices wrote:Basically, if time is of the essence, then you may either find some hilarious- or otherwise game breaking- glitches.
I think I know what you're talking about. I haven't exactly had much experience with community lots, but I am familiar with Sims complaining about objects, walls or other Sims blocking their path and, in the case of The Sims 1 (which I've been playing recently to gather ideas), I think they canceled out their orders in order to complain about something. I don't know how to fix that last one, but if this thing was actually real, it would most likely come with lots prebuilt which would hopefully be built properly to eliminate some of the first problems.
Hopefully. And ya, in the Sims 1 they just automatically cancelled things after complaining that they couldn't do it. In the Sims 2 they fixed it somewhat, and made it so that two sims could fit on each square. Making it so that at the very least there were less issues there. A sim would also complain (I think) three times before cancelling an action. Ways to improve it all even more: Making paths better, making it so that some furniture counted as a "half space" (so they are effectively like one sim standing there, so the real Sim can just walk by), and making it so that sims are (perhaps, but optional) a little more detailed in what they are complaining about. Maybe let them know what is exactly in their path, and be able to perhaps have this obstruction verbalized to you to some degree. Telling me that you can't play the piano because of footsteps or whatever doesn't really let me fix the issue there. :roll:
BadFoMo wrote:Well, there were two other ideas for the combat system. The first one being a simple hope that your skills and what bonuses you have are better than the skills and bonuses of the one they are attacking and see what happens. The second one having a little more strategy to it than being based loosely on the old dueling activity introduced in ‘Makin’ Magic’ where the NPC would make the first choice and give you a few seconds to either successfully counter it or outright beat it. It's essentially a glorified version of Rock Paper Scissors.
That might work. I faintly remember having Makin Magic, now that you mentioned it. That was an interesting extension, but boy was it buggy. Anyway, yeah. If it was something like an advanced form of roshambo, then I'll be okay with it. Just don't kill me because I chose wrong the first time. I know that when using aspiration rewards or whatever, if your aspiration meter is low enough it will give you a negative effect, and so if your needs are low enough it can kill you. Maybe that can work, but I think we may have already gone over something similar.
BadFoMo wrote:If the extra lives thing is a bad idea, I'm all for your suggestion of either losing some money (NPC: You attacked me first, I think it's more than fair that I take your money in exchange for your life.) or skill points (Your Sim: I guess I'm not as good as I thought I was.). Either that, or they become incapacitated and can't get up on their own (an idea I got from my friend play Left 4 Dead and Payday: the Heist). In this idea they would need either their friends they brought along with them who didn't become incapacitated (or didn't fight at all), or wait for the healer, who conveniently arrives sometime after whoever you lost to has left the lot, to come find you.
That incapacitation idea might work out just fine there. Might be irritating, but really so long as the healer can get to you then all should be good.
BadFoMo wrote:
TinyVoices wrote:As long as my Sim isn't suddenly swimming in the floor because of awkward skin transitions or some such thing, then I'm fine. :P
They shouldn't do that. I'm no expert, but something tells me that the clothing and the animations are two separate departments which usually don't interact with one another.
Hey, just saying. I wouldn't want some weird stuff happening. :P
BadFoMo wrote:
TinyVoices wrote:hybrid chart
I was going to suggest something a little simpler due to not wanting to add any sub races to the race chooser, but then it suddenly hit me. Why not have the sub races hidden like the different Life States are right now? Your logic would work here very nicely.
Very well. Maybe just set it so that the offspring have set traits. Really, there are only 3 hybrid races, so as long as you can work that out, all should be good. As for "unlocking" those three races, well I think you should be born with it, or else it was due to a freak accident from trying to change into another race. Much like where if you use an aspiration reward with low aspiration, there is a chance at a negative effect. If your human tries to turn into a keidran, something about them could make them mess up and become half human half Keidran. Or maybe the wheel of race choice is just spun, and they can become any of the possible races. Either way, you can't really become a hybrid on purpose. Makes it a bit more special, I think.

Now, what are all of the races we have so far? Keidran, Human, Basitin, the three possible hybrids, and that's it? You said there were five, but maybe I'm forgetting that we agreed that a fox =\= a tiger, or something of the sort. So, I count 6 "races" right now. How bout you?
BadFoMo wrote:
TinyVoices wrote:So, basically, my Keidran Sim isn't going off to be a CEO at some company -etc-
I had no intention of removing simple jobs like that. Just doing what you suggested was what I had in mind for those. I think they should be simple/boring jobs like Scribe, Fishermen, Hunter, things like that.
Heh, all right. Just wanted to check on that concern. And those work. :D
BadFoMo wrote:
TinyVoices wrote:And then on another note, what happens when I call the police? Well, who is the police for Mekkan? Whoever it is, make them the "police". So change the police skins and such to look appropriate. Detail work.
Your Sim: Guards! Help! There's a burglar over here!
Police Guard: Stop right there criminal scum!
Pfft. :roll:

Well that would sure be an interesting add-on. Right along side the vending machines with Eric's artwork as the design. :wink:

Seriously, though, I think you understand what I meant, so moving on.
BadFoMo wrote:While there are technically different types of lots, usually ones you can legally make are Residential and Community.

Anyway, that was what I was thinking of. There'd be new items to make things like General Stores, Taverns, Smithies, Bathhouses, and others which I am probably forgetting. As for the abandoned lots, perhaps they would serve as places where he could potentially find goodies/meet up with other Sims you're told to meet up with on certain jobs.
That would be pretty neat all around. Adding some interesting new characters to the game could also help spice it up and such. (That reminds me, Lady Crumplebottom or whoever will need to be redesigned. Or maybe not. She's so old she could fit into any situation :grin: )

Envy661
Envy x Banned Forever
Location: Back in the Yamaku Dorms, cuddlin' it up with Emi where I belong.

#9 Post by Envy661 »

Where the Sims 3 mods at?
ɔıƃol ʎʌuǝ ǝsnɐɔǝq
deviantART | Steam Account | Forum Sigs | Otaku Streamers
Message me for access to the Twokinds Unoffical Official Skype Chat!

TinyVoices
Templar Inner Circle

#10 Post by TinyVoices »

Envy661 wrote:Where the Sims 3 mods at?
Never played it, so I can't relate. Unfortunately. You can give feedback, though.

Envy661
Envy x Banned Forever
Location: Back in the Yamaku Dorms, cuddlin' it up with Emi where I belong.

#11 Post by Envy661 »

TinyVoices wrote:
Envy661 wrote:Where the Sims 3 mods at?
Never played it, so I can't relate. Unfortunately. You can give feedback, though.
Like what?
There aren't many mods out there. The base game is actually pretty limiting.
ɔıƃol ʎʌuǝ ǝsnɐɔǝq
deviantART | Steam Account | Forum Sigs | Otaku Streamers
Message me for access to the Twokinds Unoffical Official Skype Chat!

BadFoMo
Grand Templar

#12 Post by BadFoMo »

TinyVoices wrote:
BadFoMo wrote:Anyway, you bring up a very interesting point. I was originally thinking that the Life States would just be swapped out with one another in shape shifter/curse situations, but then I remember hearing on more than one occasion that the lifespan of the changed individual does not change, whereas in my original idea it would. So now I'm thinking that the different Life States should have a hidden option (which is unlocked in various ways) that allows them to take the form of the other five Life States.

Seems complex, but pretty fun as well. Like a little easter egg or something, almost. Life span changes might be something you'd want to think about, though. Maybe starting out as a Keidran, and then turning human and effectively tripling your life span could be seen differently between different people. It wouldn't concern myself, since I turn aging off, but still. You would also have that fact that an elder Keidran is the same as an adult human. So you cheat that human out of youth. Might be an okey form of nerfing it, though. You want to become a new race? Then you'll carry over your age state. Maybe just do that. If you're 3 days into being an adult Keidran, then you'll be 3 days into being anything else as an adult.

But, yes. Definitely think about it some. You can't make it completely canon- just cause sims age awkwardly to start with- but maybe you could try to add a little bit of a spin to it to make it more interesting.
I think that idea of an adult Keidran would transform into an adult Human is a good one, but may I make a small suggestion about the days into the age part? The three days into Keidran adulthood translating into three days of Human adulthood seems a little iffy to me. If we go with what I suggested (where Humans age four times slower than Keidran) a Keidran three (out of twenty-nine) days into adulthood should translate into twelve (out of one hundred sixteen) days in Human. Now the question is, when this is done in reverse should we make the player pay for it by rounding the in between days up, or do we have mercy on them and around them down (essentially giving them away to cheat death by waiting until they are (for example) seven days into Human adulthood, turn into a Keidran which sets it to one day into adulthood and then change back to Human where their age has been reset to only four days in)?

Anyway, how about this for a lifespan change. Suppose there's a way to make health potions and poisons to aid you in combat/sell to make money. There are specific recipes to follow. If a mistake is made somewhere (the wrong ingredient was added) the resulting potion will be completely worthless most of the time. The other times it's not worthless are times when potions of youths are made which can reverse age you buy a certain amount.

Also, what exactly do you mean by “add a little bit of a spin”?

TinyVoices wrote:
BadFoMo wrote:
TinyVoices wrote:hybrid chart
Very well. Maybe just set it so that the offspring have set traits. Really, there are only 3 hybrid races, so as long as you can work that out, all should be good. As for "unlocking" those three races, well I think you should be born with it, or else it was due to a freak accident from trying to change into another race. Much like where if you use an aspiration reward with low aspiration, there is a chance at a negative effect. If your human tries to turn into a keidran, something about them could make them mess up and become half human half Keidran. Or maybe the wheel of race choice is just spun, and they can become any of the possible races. Either way, you can't really become a hybrid on purpose. Makes it a bit more special, I think.

Now, what are all of the races we have so far? Keidran, Human, Basitin, the three possible hybrids, and that's it? You said there were five, but maybe I'm forgetting that we agreed that a fox =\= a tiger, or something of the sort. So, I count 6 "races" right now. How bout you?
When did I say there were five? Yes, there are six races. I was thinking that the hybrid races would be available only by being born with it, but your idea sounds interesting as well (although I probably would have gone with just the ears and the tail myself).

Also, in addition to those, should we consider even more hidden races so that they can be mixed breeds like Kathrin?

TinyVoices wrote:
BadFoMo wrote:While there are technically different types of lots, usually ones you can legally make are Residential and Community.

That would be pretty neat all around. Adding some interesting new characters to the game could also help spice it up and such. (That reminds me, Lady Crumplebottom or whoever will need to be redesigned. Or maybe not. She's so old she could fit into any situation :grin: )
How exactly would she be able to fit into any situation?

Anyway, I think the new characters would probably be mandatory as they are essential for the unconventional jobs. For example, the Brotherhood recruiter (the guy you might take your first assassination jobs from) might only spawn in taverns which allow his race. So the lot has to have his race checked off as one of the races which are allowed to spawn naturally on that lot and have a room with essential tavern items in it.

So, what was else needs discussing, the magic?

TinyVoices
Templar Inner Circle

#13 Post by TinyVoices »

Envy661 wrote:Like what?
There aren't many mods out there. The base game is actually pretty limiting.
Very well, then perhaps you should make sure you understand that this mod is not real. It is mostly theory, based off of what we ignorant users suppose we could do with the game, if we knew how to mod it. Whether the base is limited or not, we presume we could change what is there to make it become a "TwoKinds Sims 2 Mod", as the title of this thread says. Yes, it says Sims 2, but that's because neither BadFoMo nor myself are experienced with the Sims 3. So we compromised.

I'd suggest you mull over our ramblings again, or finish doing so if you only skimmed here or there, and then readdress how you feel about all of this. It would be nice to have more people discuss this topic, after all, but if you're stumped then no problem.
BadFoMo wrote:-proportional aging idea-
-round down?-
Keeping everything proportional would indeed make things work much smoother. I'd say let's find a way to make it so that at most they'd just get one or two extra days by doing that exploit. It wouldn't be very worth turning your keidran into a human, then back, if it cost a lot to do so, and you only get a day or two out of the deal. So, maybe make it so that transformation potions additionally take a day or two to create? Or else I'd say find a way to penalize them. Do round up, for example. Day 5 Human Adult would be day 2 Keidran Adult, which would make you day 8 Human Adult.

The "no more than two bonus days" idea would work as follows. If you're a 15 day human adult, then you'd never be able to cheat the system and round up more than 2 days. We would round down, but with a limit. So you'd turn into a 4 day keidran adult, and then back into a 13 day human adult. It would effectively be a pain in the [censored] to keep making yourself eternally young, since as soon as you can redo the exploit, you'd have to wait at least 2 days for another potion to be made. Alternatively, make it so that any given sim must wait 2 or 3 days before they can transform again.

And a final fifth (if I'm counting right here) option would be to combine those two ideas. A potion takes a day to make, and the person has to wait either 1 or 2 days before they can transform again. Something like that.
BadFoMo wrote:Anyway, how about this for a lifespan change. Suppose there's a way to make health potions and poisons to aid you in combat/sell to make money. There are specific recipes to follow. If a mistake is made somewhere (the wrong ingredient was added) the resulting potion will be completely worthless most of the time. The other times it's not worthless are times when potions of youths are made which can reverse age you by a certain amount.
There is a reward which you can get, that gives you a certain amount of life back. But this could work as well. Balance it, though. Either make it rare, or otherwise not immensely powerful. A rough shot of balancing it would probably be: 10% chance at making it; gives you between 4 and 8 extra days (irregardless of race, thereby making it up to the way age changes that affects what these numbers really should be).
BadFoMo wrote:Also, what exactly do you mean by “add a little bit of a spin”?
Well, canon life spans are haphazard and unconfirmed. One year human does not really equal 4 years keidran in all cases. But we can disregard this in order to make a simpler life span between each race. However, Sims don't age like anything. 3 days as a baby, I think 7 as a toddler, something like 12 as a child, and beyond that I'm just completely guessing. You can't say a day is equal to a year, but then you also can't say they're a month... So we need to just take a crack at it and try to smooth it out as best as possible.

As for adding a spin to it, we don't need to just simply make a human baby take 12 days to become a kid, and so forth. We could make it somewhat complex. At least for the sake of keeping it interesting. Then playing as a human because of longer life spans, or not playing them for having too long of lifespans, isn't as big of a thing. Strategy, varying experiences, etc. are all reasons why you'd pick a specific race.

Lots more words than you probably wanted, but that's what I've also thought about since I read that response of yours.
BadFoMo wrote:When did I say there were five? Yes, there are six races. I was thinking that the hybrid races would be available only by being born with it, but your idea sounds interesting as well (although I probably would have gone with just the ears and the tail myself).
Whoops, you said "the other five races", not "all five races." My bad.

Heheh, making them have animal ears and tails work. :karen:
Just that we could think about that. Whether we give them this secret race (maybe that would actually be good, who knows), or else give them a negative thing, like the tail and whatnot. Make it last for some time, and people see it as weird or bad. Templars/other keidran hating employers will be less likely to hire someone with the "neko curse".
BadFoMo wrote:Also, in addition to those, should we consider even more hidden races so that they can be mixed breeds like Kathrin?
I think just making different skins be available for each race will do. Yes, mixed breeds could in theory exist, but not much more than skin deep. Maybe allow for some hidden skins, if anything, and make it so that certain race combos give different kinds of special skins that have a chance of being selected based off of the parent's genes?

Ugh, that sentence ran a little there. But I'm tired. Basically, there's hidden skins for mixed breeds. Still 6 "races".
BadFoMo wrote:
TinyVoices wrote:(That reminds me, Lady Crumplebottom or whoever will need to be redesigned. Or maybe not. She's so old she could fit into any situation :grin: )
How exactly would she be able to fit into any situation?
:roll: She's so old, she might as well exist in Medieval times? We could change her, though. Maybe make it stress more so on the idea of racism? Or not. We could just change her skin, and just let her continue to walk around hating everything everybody does. S:P
BadFoMo wrote:Anyway, I think the new characters would probably be mandatory as they are essential for the unconventional jobs. For example, the Brotherhood recruiter (the guy you might take your first assassination jobs from) might only spawn in taverns which allow his race. So the lot has to have his race checked off as one of the races which are allowed to spawn naturally on that lot and have a room with essential tavern items in it.
All sounds excellent. Just so long as people don't start performing black sacraments everywhere. :P
BadFoMo wrote:So, what was else needs discussing, the magic?
There is the issue of Basitins being unable to use magic. Maybe make Basitin blooded sims be unable to participate in magic battles? We could just in turn make them better at using other weapons or some such thing.

Likewise, shall we just presume that Keidran are skilled enough to not need mana crystals, or else are just constantly carrying some charged ones around? Or will we make it so that they can only, for example, perform a certain amount of spells per day? Or maybe better yet, make using magic be very taxing on their Needs. Seems more so like black magic use, however, as this could therefore weaken them, make them more susceptible to loosing fights (if chance is affected in part by overall status of Needs), and additionally run the risk of killing them once they get somewhere where they can starve to death.

BadFoMo
Grand Templar

#14 Post by BadFoMo »

On Thursday April 04, 2013 at around 10:38 pm his time (sort of), BadFoMo wrote:
TinyVoices wrote:Yes, it says Sims 2, but that's because neither BadFoMo nor myself are experienced with the Sims 3. So we compromised.
I don't recall ever saying that I don't have The Sims 3. [Joke]Are you stalking me?! I'm not famous enough to be stocked yet![/Joke]Anyway, while you're right, the main reason I suggest this for The Sims 2 was because it has essentially been abandoned. EA will probably still take your money for it, but they're not updating/releasing patches/expansion packs for it anymore. It's essentially in its final state and much easier to modify without having to worry about anything official screwing it up.

TinyVoices wrote:
BadFoMo wrote:-proportional aging idea-
-round down?-
Keeping everything proportional would indeed make things work much smoother. I'd say let's find a way to make it so that at most they'd just get one or two extra days by doing that exploit. It wouldn't be very worth turning your keidran into a human, then back, if it cost a lot to do so, and you only get a day or two out of the deal. So, maybe make it so that transformation potions additionally take a day or two to create? Or else I'd say find a way to penalize them. Do round up, for example. Day 5 Human Adult would be day 2 Keidran Adult, which would make you day 8 Human Adult.

The "no more than two bonus days" idea would work as follows. If you're a 15 day human adult, then you'd never be able to cheat the system and round up more than 2 days. We would round down, but with a limit. So you'd turn into a 4 day keidran adult, and then back into a 13 day human adult. It would effectively be a pain in the [censored] to keep making yourself eternally young, since as soon as you can redo the exploit, you'd have to wait at least 2 days for another potion to be made. Alternatively, make it so that any given sim must wait 2 or 3 days before they can transform again.

And a final fifth (if I'm counting right here) option would be to combine those two ideas. A potion takes a day to make, and the person has to wait either 1 or 2 days before they can transform again. Something like that.
That would probably be the simplest thing to do, and it sounds like what would most likely happen in the comic as well. But then again, I don't think this sort of thing would be readily available in the game. Why should the player work so hard to get this rare ability when it will make them older every time they use it?

For the potion route, this seems like a good idea. You need to wait for the potion to be out of your system first, or else bad things will happen (perhaps the hybrid idea you were suggesting earlier).
TinyVoices wrote:
BadFoMo wrote:Anyway, how about this for a lifespan change. Suppose there's a way to make health potions and poisons to aid you in combat/sell to make money. There are specific recipes to follow. If a mistake is made somewhere (the wrong ingredient was added) the resulting potion will be completely worthless most of the time. The other times it's not worthless are times when potions of youths are made which can reverse age you by a certain amount.
There is a reward which you can get, that gives you a certain amount of life back. But this could work as well. Balance it, though. Either make it rare, or otherwise not immensely powerful. A rough shot of balancing it would probably be: 10% chance at making it; gives you between 4 and 8 extra days (irregardless of race, thereby making it up to the way age changes that affects what these numbers really should be).
This sounds like a good idea. As for rare version, I've had this idea for modern-day things to logically be in the game. Remember that idea for little goodies on the abandoned lots? Like so many works of fiction before, someone from their equivalent of our modern-day world somehow found a way to go back in time. Unfortunately they didn't make it far giving the player the opportunity to loot the body. One of the many things you can get off of them is some sort of injection device which when used allows a Keidran to age like Humans and Basitins for a certain amount of time.

TinyVoices wrote:
BadFoMo wrote:Also, what exactly do you mean by “add a little bit of a spin”?
Well, canon life spans are haphazard and unconfirmed. One year human does not really equal 4 years keidran in all cases. But we can disregard this in order to make a simpler life span between each race. However, Sims don't age like anything. 3 days as a baby, I think 7 as a toddler, something like 12 as a child, and beyond that I'm just completely guessing. You can't say a day is equal to a year, but then you also can't say they're a month... So we need to just take a crack at it and try to smooth it out as best as possible.

As for adding a spin to it, we don't need to just simply make a human baby take 12 days to become a kid, and so forth. We could make it somewhat complex. At least for the sake of keeping it interesting. Then playing as a human because of longer life spans, or not playing them for having too long of lifespans, isn't as big of a thing. Strategy, varying experiences, etc. are all reasons why you'd pick a specific race.

Lots more words than you probably wanted, but that's what I've also thought about since I read that response of yours.
That's all right, it's kind of hard to try and describe something detailed otherwise.

Anyway, if the Humans and Basitins lifespans can't just be four times longer, should they potentially age like this?
Baby: 3 days
Toddler: 6 days
Child: 12 days
Teen: up to 30 days
Adult: 116 days
Elder: 36–124 days

TinyVoices wrote:
BadFoMo wrote:Also, in addition to those, should we consider even more hidden races so that they can be mixed breeds like Kathrin?
I think just making different skins be available for each race will do. Yes, mixed breeds could in theory exist, but not much more than skin deep. Maybe allow for some hidden skins, if anything, and make it so that certain race combos give different kinds of special skins that have a chance of being selected based off of the parent's genes?

Ugh, that sentence ran a little there. But I'm tired. Basically, there's hidden skins for mixed breeds. Still 6 "races".
That sounds like a good idea. The reason I suggested that they be hidden races was so that they could and couldn't have access to certain things. For example, the offspring of a Fox and a Dog would have access to the tail and the ear accessories of either race but not the tail and the ear accessories of any other race.

TinyVoices wrote:
BadFoMo wrote:So, what was else needs discussing, the magic?
There is the issue of Basitins being unable to use magic. Maybe make Basitin blooded sims be unable to participate in magic battles? We could just in turn make them better at using other weapons or some such thing.
I don't think keeping the Basitins out of fights involving magic would be a good idea. Logically, in a fight to the death (not that Sims the player controls can die under most circumstances), not being able to use magic probably wouldn't stop your opponent from using magic. So I'm all for your second idea about having them having a weapons boost/can do more damage/knows some sort of secret Basitin fighting technique.

TinyVoices wrote:Likewise, shall we just presume that Keidran are skilled enough to not need mana crystals, or else are just constantly carrying some charged ones around? Or will we make it so that they can only, for example, perform a certain amount of spells per day? Or maybe better yet, make using magic be very taxing on their Needs. Seems more so like black magic use, however, as this could therefore weaken them, make them more susceptible to loosing fights (if chance is affected in part by overall status of Needs), and additionally run the risk of killing them once they get somewhere where they can starve to death.
I was thinking of having them carry charged Mana Stones and having the spells require a certain amount of them in order to be cast.

I get this idea from the actual magic portion of Apartment Life. In order to cast spells you need a certain amount of certain Magical Reagents in your inventory in order to actually cast the spells. In this case, there's only one Magical Reagent.

As for how the Humans get their Mana/Keidran recharge dead Mana Stones, I was thinking they might do a weird combination of making the Magical Reagents/recharge like Servos. For example, you could click on your Sim and tell them to ‘Draw Mana’ which would cause them to stand where they are and draw little blue lights towards themselves which would cause their Mana amount increased by one every ten seconds.

As for the use of Dark Mana in the game, I have two ideas. Either you can only draw Mana from certain places and if you need more but can't find these certain places, you can tell your Sim to ‘Draw Dark Mana’ which would cause them to draw little black and red lights towards themselves which would cause their Mana amount increased by ten every five seconds. Or once you're out of Mana and try to cast any spells you automatically draw and cast with Dark Mana.

Either way however, the drawing and use of Dark Mana would (as you suggested) decrease their needs and eventually killed them.
In an attempt to try and revive this thing, I have decided to elaborate on certain things and ask a few more questions.

First, the expansion pack problem. I've noticed that some of the ideas would need content/programming from different expansion packs in order to work. If this were to be made into a mod, would it be better to make it one big download that would require the player to own all of the appropriate extension packs in order to play it so they can have the full experience, or would it be better to make it several smaller downloads so the player could download the ones for the expansion packs they have?

Second, the Keidran fur patterns. A while ago, I uploaded a modified screenshot which showed my idea on how to tackle this. I have since then gotten a new idea on how to make this work properly. The only problem is it would require ‘Pets’ to be installed. It would essentially be some of the pet options in ‘Create-A-Sim’ applied to a Human Sim. So, again, if this were to be made into a mod would it be better to make it so that ‘Pets’ is required to play it, or stick with the original idea so that people without that expansion pack could still play it?

P.S. If the former, should I try making another modified screenshot for this?

Third, getting things from the future from deceased NPCs. Earlier I mentioned rare items and clothing (like these) which could be found on and taken from deceased NPCs who have mysteriously fallen back in time. Although I don't have many ideas, I do have a few.

In addition to any other items which may hint to what they were in life, all Keidran should have those injection devices I mentioned earlier. When used on a Keidran will add several more days to their life. When used on Basitins and Humans however, it will make them sick.

Other items which could be found might be electronic devices. I think the majority of them should rely on batteries which limits their usability to a certain amount of uses for boosting the ‘Entertainment’ need a bit faster. Once the batteries are dead, the device is reduced to just a curious decorative piece. Perhaps maybe there should be extremely rare solar powered devices to use in the same way.

Aside from medicine and first aid kits (which are used for obvious things) and miscellaneous objects which would only serve as decoration, I can't really think of anything else that could be found other than clothing which would further hint to what kind of a person the NPC used to be. Anyone else have any ideas?

Fourth, the weird stuff. If you know me, you were probably wondering when this would come up. Remember the weird somewhat story driven non-canon/voting incentive works like Trading Halves, Natani's Panties, Tentacles of Inappropriateness, Basitin Black Magic and Prank Pixie Panic along with all of the in and out of canon times Mike has had gender problems?
And remember how there currently are weird things in ‘The Sims 2’ such as the alien abductions which could result in male pregnancy, the Laganaphyllis Simnovorii and pretty much all the life states?

I would like to figure out how all of those could be worked in somehow. I have a few ideas, but tell me what you think.

Trading Halves could be included with some of the things that Prank Pixies do.
The panties could be something from the future.
The tentacles could be a normal plant available from the get go.
The gender swapping can easily be one of the many magic spells which can be performed in the game.

While this does seem simple, I'm fairly certain this needs to be thought out. Especially the Prank Pixie part (like how would one go about invoking their wrath?).

And finally… well, I was going to talk about the magic (like the kind of spells we've seen could be in the mod and how they could be used), I got a little tired of trying to make a list and have put it off for now. So instead, I'm going to bring up what I'm calling ‘The Demigod Options’. Usually when you installed an expansion pack, you would get a new ‘Sub-Neighborhood’ button at the top of screen. ‘Seasons’ didn't have a ‘Sub-Neighborhood’, so their button was used to control the season. That's sort of what this button does. Right now, I'm sort of debating between wanting to include it for that extra little option, and not including it because at the moment its only feature is to allow or disallow the different races to breed with one another. Any ideas on this?

TinyVoices
Templar Inner Circle

#15 Post by TinyVoices »

Oh snap, I knew I forgot to do something nearly 2 months ago. :oops:
BadFoMo wrote:I don't recall ever saying that I don't have The Sims 3.

It's essentially in its final state and much easier to modify without having to worry about anything official screwing it up.
What the heck? Thought you did mention something which implied you didn't have sims 3. Apparently you didn't, however. Eh, but yeah your thought process makes sense for why work on 2 and not 3.
BadFoMo wrote:Why should the player work so hard to get this rare ability when it will make them older every time they use it?
Well, that way the rare ability comes at a cost. You get to change races entirely, therefore unlocking the special abilities and chances that race gets. Yet, it comes at a cost of a small percentage of your life.
BadFoMo wrote:One of the many things you can get off of them is some sort of injection device which when used allows a Keidran to age like Humans and Basitins for a certain amount of time.
That'd be interesting. Just don't add in too many of those chrome suited travelers. :P
BadFoMo wrote:Anyway, if the Humans and Basitins lifespans can't just be four times longer, should they potentially age like this?
-days-
Eh, sure. That might work.
BadFoMo wrote:That sounds like a good idea. The reason I suggested that they be hidden races was so that they could and couldn't have access to certain things. For example, the offspring of a Fox and a Dog would have access to the tail and the ear accessories of either race but not the tail and the ear accessories of any other race.
Well that makes sense. We don't want them to have bunny-Basitin ears or anything. I think that Fox and Dog were two separate races we considered, however. If so, then picking traits from only those two boxes would make sense, and should be implemented if possible.
BadFoMo wrote:I don't think keeping the Basitins out of fights involving magic would be a good idea. Logically, in a fight to the death (not that Sims the player controls can die under most circumstances), not being able to use magic probably wouldn't stop your opponent from using magic. So I'm all for your second idea about having them having a weapons boost/can do more damage/knows some sort of secret Basitin fighting technique.
And so the rock paper scissors match becomes more interesting. Perhaps that would also open up the ability to just plainly use either physical or magical attacks and defenses. Just make sure not to put too much emphasis on the battling, or else the game will stray away from a life simulator and into a turn based adventure game.
BadFoMo wrote:In this case, there's only one Magical Reagent. [...]

For example, you could click on your Sim and tell them to ‘Draw Mana’ [...]

As for the use of Dark Mana in the game, I have two ideas. Either you can only draw Mana from certain places and if you need more but can't find these certain places, you can tell your Sim to ‘Draw Dark Mana’ which would cause them to draw little black and red lights towards themselves which would cause their Mana amount increased by ten every five seconds. Or once you're out of Mana and try to cast any spells you automatically draw and cast with Dark Mana.
The concept of reagents will work. I just never had that expansion pack, so didn't know there was already a way to limit your magic use.

Draw Mana might work too. Coupled with how many crystals you have, perhaps we'd have a system of buying rechargeable crystals. Each one holds a different amount of mana, and once as soon as a crystal has held two or three times its capacity, it can't be recharged again. So, a crystal with 50 mana points can be depleted to zero, then recharged to 50, then depleted, then either it's dead, or else we can make a second or maybe third recharge possible. Recharges can also be interrupted, much as you hinted. Just make it so the 50 mana stone can only hold 50 at most at any time, and in its career can only hold a max of either 100 or else 150. After that further recharges are not permitted. Humans can get mana crystals, or else recharge their "Natural Mana Reserve", which could just have a capacity of, say, 100 or what have you. This can then just be a single crystal in their inventory, which can be recharged an indefinite amount of times. Thus giving humans a slight advantage. Maybe make varying sizes of mana crystals. A small (10-40), a medium (40-80), or large (80-100). You can mess with the final numbers some, but that way you have an idea of what to work with. If instead we just work with spells that only require maybe 3 or 4 points on average, then the numbers for the crystals would be much lower. How big the humans' natural reserve is would also be up to how much they need to use spells, and how much each mana crystal size holds. Beyond that I think it starts getting really complicated.

I'm not sure which dark mana method I like better. I think defaulting to using dark magic when out of regular would be quite dangerous. If you did implement that method, you'd have to alert the player of the action as best as you could. Maybe making it trigger one of those camera views to pop up, much like what happens when something important happens out of view. Pretty lights and whatnot around the character would probably also help.
BadFoMo wrote:First, the expansion pack problem. I've noticed that some of the ideas would need content/programming from different expansion packs in order to work. If this were to be made into a mod, would it be better to make it one big download that would require the player to own all of the appropriate extension packs in order to play it so they can have the full experience, or would it be better to make it several smaller downloads so the player could download the ones for the expansion packs they have?
I'd say either separate mods, or else limit it all to just one or two basic expansion packs. I'd say that separate mods would do much better, but if one part of one mod counts on another part of another mod, especially if it's, say, a backbone to magic use or race change nerfing, then you're in trouble. So... Yeah maybe we should look to limiting this in packets, and then maybe only "unlocking" certain aspects with each sequential expansion. It all depends on what affects each EP has on each of the topics we've discussed so far. Which it being nearly 3 in the morning here, I don't feel like searching through right now to figure that all out. Maybe someday. Doesn't really matter unless we're legitimately making the mod, anyway.
BadFoMo wrote:Third, getting things from the future from deceased NPCs. Earlier I mentioned rare items and clothing (like these) which could be found on and taken from deceased NPCs who have mysteriously fallen back in time. Although I don't have many ideas, I do have a few.
Injection device addendum is good, just remember what else I said about it. I like the idea of fast entertainment boosters. I totally forgot that TV won't exist (or shouldn't, at least) and so keeping Fun up will be pretty tough. It would mean you'd have to have your sims play with each other more, most likely. Unless we put in some easy and chronologically correct ways to entertain them. But the electronics with batteries or solar are good. Clothes could also be cool. Besides that, I'm not sure what else to add either, though I haven't exactly put much thought in it.
BadFoMo wrote:Trading Halves could be included with some of the things that Prank Pixies do.
The panties could be something from the future.
The tentacles could be a normal plant available from the get go.
The gender swapping can easily be one of the many magic spells which can be performed in the game.
Prank Pixies in general could be added, or else have their effects randomly occur if you manage to trigger their wrath. They like light, so maybe the more light your house has, the higher the chance at shenanigans? A spell or maybe "Pest Control" guy could be used to halt their attack. Temporary affects caused by them should be okay. Such affects would include just what the comic has. Gender bending, attraction alteration, and race change. Might not be too hard to add that in. Would be interesting to have that happen. Trading halves would get confusing, I would think. Gender swapping as a spell might be okay, since gender really only affects attraction, child rearing, and whether or not you can pee standing up as long as your bladder is less than half full. Shouldn't be too much of a game changer. Just hoping it doesn't make things too weird...

Tentacles and panties are just what the [censored]... I don't think the Sims ever had anything like the panties before, so let's not go in and add anything sex tool related. The tentacles could just entangle the Sim, but let's not add in any erotic action or anything here. The worse thing I recall being in the Sims, is the act of woo-hoo itself. Let's not turn it into a porn game. :|
BadFoMo wrote:Right now, I'm sort of debating between wanting to include it for that extra little option, and not including it because at the moment its only feature is to allow or disallow the different races to breed with one another. Any ideas on this?
I'm not entirely sure I understand this concept entirely, so I don't know what extra little option it would include. Choosing to prevent hybrids would be nice, but would only be needed if hybrids were in-game. So, it depends on if they can work on the regular sims 2, or else which expansion packs they would need. We could add the Demi-God thing in just to control hybrid creation, though.

As for list of spells, ya that can just be put off for when you want to make a screenshot of what that would look like. Maybe try to find a way to categorize them, though. Attack, defense and maybe like alteration or something. Then go from there.