Star Citizen

For all your seizure inducing goodness!

Moderator: Moderators

asphere8
Master

Re: Star Citizen

#61 Post by asphere8 »

Ryusen wrote:Multi Crew Demo? Yes, Multi Crew Demo.
If you saw the live version, "Jared! Jared! Stay on Red One, Jared! Jared! Jaaaarrrreeeeeedddd!"
That was the second take. The first take had much more "Jared!"
Sometimes, I wish I could art.

Ryusen
Grand Templar

#62 Post by Ryusen »

So a lot has happened in the past month, but let's keep it short and sweet, cause I want to get to the fun part.

First, the Social Module has officially been released! This has not only made multiplayer possible in the SC universe, but has also brought greatly improved matchmaking algorithms, and massively overhauled the back end of their development. While not very exciting on the surface, the technical details of this achievement cannot be understated.

We've been hearing a lot of rumors surrounding Citizen Con, most notably the FPS Module. While it is very closeTM to being released, it is still being polished for a successful release. The fiasco with the first few months of Arena Commander are not something we need to be repeating. We've also heard about the Baby PU (internally called the Exoverse) in development, though any real details are hard to come by. I hope we'll be seeing more in the coming weeks.

And, in more immediate news:

Research Unbound: The MISC Endeavor!

Musashi Industrial & Starflight Concern is proud to present the Endeavor-class research vessel, a fully modular space platform designed to be adapted for a variety of scientific and medical tasks. Initially developed as a floating laboratory, the MISC Endeavor can be outfitted for everything from spatial telescopy to use as mobile hospital. Today, we are pleased to offer your choice of an Endeavor hull in varying configurations or the option to ‘build your own’ by choosing individual component sections.
Modularity is right! Let me just list off the modules already planned or concepted for the Endeavor:
  • Discovery Module - an astronomy addition, this will mount a powerful telescope capable of scanning infrared, visible, and gamma spectra, as well as detecting comets, asteroids, mining fields, derelict ships, black holes, nebula, and many others!
  • Medical Module - provides the ability for players to heal or respawn in the middle of combat, far away from any planet or traditional hospital. Set your own prices and provide your own services. Once respawned, they may purchase any small ship you have stored away for immediate transport back to the main action!
  • Organics Module - bro, do you even farmville? Looks to be a very well thought out mechanic (would we expect anything else from CIG?), which requires providing the proper soils, fertilizer, temperature, water, radiation (solar, coronal, nebula, etc.) for ideal growth. Anything from run of the mill fruits and veggies, to exotic flowers and deadly poisons.
  • Supercollider Module - enables precise adjustments to be made to the core components of various weapons and thrusters (ie overclocking and the like)
  • Crew Module - allows for additional living space and amenities within the ship
  • Fuel Module - increases the travel range of the ship considerably
  • Defense Module - provides the Endeavor with a diverse array of defensively-oriented weaponry that would greatly improve its chances of escaping a dangerous conflict
There's a lot of information crammed into these posts. For a more complete breakdown, read this and this.

The Endeavor is shaping up to be one of my favorite ships, and I don't just say that because I have a career in medical research. It's a very novel approach to science and medicine, with exceptional nods to Star Trek in it's design aesthetics. It has an extreme level of modularity, coupled with a detailed, complex, and vibrant role in the 'Verse that will support most any playstyle imaginable. This will be one of the first ships I pursue once the game launches, and I very much look forward to doing SCIENCE! And by "SCIENCE!", I mean manufacturing space-heroin and running blockades to find buyers at shady spaceports.

See you in the 'Verse!
Man can live 30 days without food, 4 days without water, and 8 minutes without air. But man cannot live a single second without hope.

Envy661
Envy x Banned Forever
Location: Back in the Yamaku Dorms, cuddlin' it up with Emi where I belong.

#63 Post by Envy661 »

I'm still really looking forward to getting a Vanguard myself. The base model, most likely. I love everything about it from the design to it's class.

Edit: Holy [censored]
http://www.escapistmagazine.com/article ... he-Company

This goes way beyond the Derrek Smart fiasco. This is slowly looking like Konami levels of bad.
And it's on the Escapists site of all places.
ɔıƃol ʎʌuǝ ǝsnɐɔǝq
deviantART | Steam Account | Forum Sigs | Otaku Streamers
Message me for access to the Twokinds Unoffical Official Skype Chat!

Ryusen
Grand Templar

#64 Post by Ryusen »

CitizenCon Hype!

Let's get this out of way first - Squadron 42 has been officially confirmed for release in 2016! Watch this opening cinematic before going on (done with a heavily modified Cry Engine, in real time):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8EC4WHPxnrk

A few things of note here:
  • We are AT WAR! The Vanduul are at our gates! We will survive!
  • Featuring a cast including: Gary Oldman (!), Mark Hamill (!!!), John Rhys-Davies, and too many others to properly give time to.
  • Seriously - Commissioner Gordan, Luke Skywalker, Gimli, Scully, The Onion Knight; talk about an all-star cast!

Look at what I found! It's a demo of the Persistent Universe! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SrpeLpQWzTk - just bask in it for a few minutes. This reminds me a lot of the multicrew demo CIG showed a while back. We see many of the same features (multiplayer first/third person, ship entry and exit, quantum jumping, EVA, ship and first-person combat; it's amazing to see all the work they've been doing really come together and form something playable. Anyone who has doubts about the progress and future of Star Citizen would do well to watch this video.

Is that...is that a new ship? Is that the Aegis Sabre? Why, yes. Yes it is.

Part of Aegis Dynamics’ Phase Two of new ship models, the Sabre was designed as a space superiority fighter for those situations where you need to leave a lighter footprint. While no one will deny the Hornet’s place as the UEE Navy’s brawler, the Sabre offers an elegant and nimble alternative to handle an ever-evolving combat landscape. Designed to be a rapid responder, the Sabre is more than capable of establishing battlefield dominance for any number of combat sorties.

Engineers looked equally to the past and the future to build the Sabre . Incorporating Aegis’ battle-tested power distribution systems into their dependable ship-hull construction while developing cutting-edge flight and system technology, the Sabre is truly a next generation fighter that represents the new Aegis.

Aegis Dynamics has designed the Sabre in response to a United Empire of Earth Navy’s request for proposal for a next-generation fighter capable of outmatching the Vanduul STINGER-class heavy fighter in speed and turning. While the Navy has not yet accepted the the Sabre bid, Aegis has opted to make a run of production prototypes available to licensed civilian operators.
Behold, the ARK Starmap! Warning: CIG is not known for being kind to your computer. Those with older hardware, ye have been warned. Here's the video.

The Ship Upgrade System is now up and running. You should be able to switch between, upgrade, etc ships much easier with this new interface and functionality.

You can see the CitizenCon Full Presentation, or various parts of it, here.

I've been following the whole Escapist article controversy. This presentation alone buries many of the points Lizzy (as well as Derek Smart) seem to be spewing. The tech is there; the gameplay is there; the funds are growing; the hype is never-ending. What we saw was nothing more than a hit-piece targeting CIG and Sandy, written by an inexperienced journalist who's only sources were anonymous. Sources, I might add, which were shown to be lying about employment (a la the employee ID), pulled from an anonymous Glassdoor review, and heavily mirroring the agenda Derek smart has been fruitlessly pushing for months. Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence, and the Escapist has published none of that. Perhaps the allegations are true, or at least parts of them hold merit. But if you're going to accuse a large company of violating Federal laws regulation discrimination and personally attack the Head of Public Relations, you had better be damn sure that your sources are air tight. The Escapist failed to uphold their own standards of journalistic integrity. We are backers for a reason, and current CIG employees do not agree with what was said in the article. This mud slinging went to far as to elicit an official response from Chris Roberts himself about the baseless claims being made. The most unfortunate part of this is how it's pulling him away from working on the game, and forcing him to fight ignorant and hateful claims from people who have absolutely no idea what's going on inside the company.

It's no surprise that Star Citizen is getting the kinds of hate that we're seeing now. As Sq42 nears completion in the coming year, I expect that Fear, Doubt, and Uncertainty campaigns to be present in full force. When we see the Persistent Universe near completion, it will be the same issue. What ultimately matters is that CIG has promised to deliver the Best Damn Space Sim Ever, and they are doing everything in their power to make that happen. Let their game stand - or fall - on it's own merits. Running stories about disgruntled former employees does not affect the game. Believing DS propaganda does not affect the game. Rumors about money mismanagement do no affect the game. Stand back, let them work, and judge that work for what it is, and for what they've promised it will represent. At the end of the day, this is a video game about flying space ships and shooting things; let's not get so entrenched in rumors, hearsay, and propaganda that we lose sight of the point of this entire Endeavor - to make a fun, long-lasting, immersive space sim.
Man can live 30 days without food, 4 days without water, and 8 minutes without air. But man cannot live a single second without hope.

Envy661
Envy x Banned Forever

#65 Post by Envy661 »

Alright, I stopped watching the CitizenCon coverage when they announced they would be combatting the Balancing issue of the Hornet in dogfighting (and current Arena Commander module) by just releasing another OP ship.
I pretty much facepalmed at that.
Paying for another ship to combat the poor balancing of a previous ship people already had trouble affording isn't a good solution.

It is disappointing, especially when everything else up to that part seemed fairly interesting.

Except the HOTAS, which has, what looks like almost no buttons on the throttle.
But it's also the lower-end HOTAS, so I gave it the benefit of the doubt.
It looks like an overpriced Thrustmaster with attachable peripherals.
ɔıƃol ʎʌuǝ ǝsnɐɔǝq

Ryusen
Grand Templar

#66 Post by Ryusen »

It's a short update, but an important one. Last night, Star Citizen managed to pass 1,000,000 citizens!

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/funding-goals

Wow, that's a heck of a number. Who would have thought so many people would back Chris Robert's dream? I can't wait too see us smash through that next goal of $100,000,000 in funding.

HeckobA
Master

#67 Post by HeckobA »

The Sabre is one helluva sexy ship. DEFINITELY buying one of those first thing I can in-game.
Also, I haven't managed to run the ARK map, but MAN that looks so good! That thing has Quality written all over it.
ImageImage
-~☼ Look! It's my Steam Profile! ☼~-

Ryusen
Grand Templar

#68 Post by Ryusen »

Didn't expect to be posting all this tonight, but I had to get this out:

Today marks the first day of the 2015 Star Citizen AnniVERSEary Sale! This week will see the sale of all normal ships and all limited-sale ships (limited quantity ships, such as the 890 Jump or Scythe will not be on sale now, or likely ever again), as well as both new ships and new variants! Various ships will be on sale depending on the day, just check the link for the specific day. The final day of the sale will see every possible ship go on sale, so don't worry if you miss the one day you were waiting for.

Among those new ships on sale is the Kruger P-72 Archimedes, a luxury snub-craft. Simple, elegant, and sexy. What's not to love?

Not to mention, the penultimate vessel from the fourth wave of concept ships, the Anvil Crubible:

More pictures

You can read up about the Repari and Maintenance design post here. It's a lot to take in, but exactly what you expect from CIG. We see enough information and gameplay to support nearly an entire game on its own, and this is just one of the sub-jobs offered to players. Aside from the Endeavor itself, the repair function is probably the most attractive in-game system I'm interested in. Well, and the Orion's mining system. And the Carrack's mapping and exploration system. And...I have a problem. The amount of thought and care they put into designing these mechanics is astounding and adds such a wide depth to the overall gameplay when we have such a huge array of choices and professions to choose from.

Now, all this is well and good. Lot's of new ships and variants, expected returns, and exciting design posts. But. BUT..

Star Citizen 2.0 confirmed, baby!

We'll get more information as the day progresses, but it's supposedly coming out tonight to the PTU. The features that have been confirmed so far are as follows:
  • Features:
  • Large World Map (1 million km x 1 million km x 200k km) Someone said: 1mx1mx400km? It's big.
  • Multi-Crew
  • New UI and HUD
  • FPS Combat (More animations and stances will be added over time)

Locations:
  • 3 Moons
  • 3 space stations

New Ships:
  • Retaliator
  • Constellation (most multi-crew ship owners will get assigned this)
  • Avenger variants
  • Vanguard (Hangar Ready Only)

Things to do:
  • 8 Combat missions
  • 8 Research missions
  • 1 Exploration missions
  • 1 PVP mission
  • 20 random encounters (pirate attacks)
  • 3 hours of missions alone.

New Area:
  • Million Mile high club

When am I going to play?!
  • 1,000 backers will get invites via e-mail (haven't been sent out yet)
  • Those 1,000 backers are determined by contributions to the Issue Council
  • After a 2-3 days they'll open it up to more backers.
  • Probably gong to Live in about a week (according to Erin, best guess)
We've gotten new ships, new variants, new design posts, new gameplay, new locations, new funding, and a new batch of recruits ready to explore the stars! CIG continues to astound and amaze with their stunning (though certainly not timely :wink:) progress. I would say the game is coming together piece-by-piece, but these are some massive pieces! 1 Million backers and nearly $100 Million in funding, we are seeing Chris Robert's dream come true, and it is a beautiful thing.

See you in the 'Verse, citizens!

HeckobA
Master

#69 Post by HeckobA »

Well, since you had to ask... The Cost.
$30 for a snub fighter...
(and yes I know I don't have to buy it and and and)
But it's definitely something not to like, for me.

But yeah, pretty great update. Hype is real!
ImageImage
-~☼ Look! It's my Steam Profile! ☼~-

Envy661
Envy x Banned Forever

#70 Post by Envy661 »

Waiting very patiently for 2.0, and then I'll give a fresh perspective.

I thought I would remind everyone about the Twokinds org while I'm over here:
https://robertsspaceindustries.com/orgs/2KINDS
ɔıƃol ʎʌuǝ ǝsnɐɔǝq

Ryusen
Grand Templar

#71 Post by Ryusen »

Envy661 wrote:Waiting very patiently for 2.0, and then I'll give a fresh perspective.
Well, the wait is over! 2.0.0 is now live, and you can download it from the launcher. I hope they're able to get it semi-stable for the massive influx of media attention when we finally crest the $100 million mark in a few days. I mean, there's not much else to say. Why are you still reading this? Go check it out! Go steal aboard a Constellation, kill its captain, and fly it into a space station. Get in a firefight in a derelict wreck. Do some sight-seeing, I don't know. Just get in there and stress some servers!

Lief
No hugs, I asplode.
Fav. Twokinds Character: Raine

#72 Post by Lief »

I wish I could play. My computer can barely run the game at, like, 15FPS on anything that isn't my hangar.

Envy661
Envy x Banned Forever

#73 Post by Envy661 »

I started the update last night. Might check it out when I get home if I don't jump on more Warframe instead.
Lief: maybe slaughter can build you a cheap gaming machine. Mine was built for $600 by another friend of mine. Slaughter could probably do better. It sounds expensive, but it's a good investment that will last you. It would be better if you already had a desktop you could upgrade though.
I know money was/is very sparse for you. I wish I could help, but you already know I'm far from well off as well. But I know Slaughter very well may be able to help you at least in some form.
ɔıƃol ʎʌuǝ ǝsnɐɔǝq

Ryusen
Grand Templar

#74 Post by Ryusen »

This just about sums up my experiences with 2.0.0 so far: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NMAmL4Po6ro

I wish they had better SLI implementation at this stage, but I can't really expect that kind of polish out of an alpha version. I can, however, start saving up for the multiple new GPUs it will require to actually run this behemoth. Nvidia's Pascal line isn't that far off, right? Maybe I can sell a kidney or something.

Ryusen
Grand Templar

#75 Post by Ryusen »

Double post, because I am special.

Much sooner than we expected, we have the first seamless procedural planetary landing segment!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X5XSiww ... e=youtu.be

This is all coming a bit too fast for me to take in - I've barely had time to jump into 2.0.0, and 2.1 is just around the corner. I don't need to explain this or even build up what you're seeing; this segment speaks for itself. I mean, what more is there to say?