Planetside 2

For all your seizure inducing goodness!

Moderator: Moderators

Tygron
Notakitty!

Planetside 2

#1 Post by Tygron »

Didn't see a thread about this and I reached the original thread so...

Anyway, Planetside 2 is an MMO.......... FPS. Yes. An MMO FPS. And it's pretty neat. Now I didn't have the chance to play the original, and i'm sure the servers for that are long shutdown. But this game isn't too bad. I hear it's not quite like the original, but I suppose that's to be expected.
Here's a link to the site: http://www.planetside2.com/
It's not out yet, but it's in beta. They're letting people in as they see fit and you can also pay $40 for a limited time and get 4000 station points (their form of pay to buy ingame stuff) (which also seem to really be the thing you're paying for, 4000 SP is $40...) and you get a few other things, and INSTANT ACCESS TO THE BETA.

Currently i'm playing on East server 02, on the TR side of things. Gonna put some footage I took using the ingame capture tool (which only seems to do video not audio, which is disappointing) on youtube shortly so i'll have that to show. I'm not the best and my computer likes to lag a bit. It's both my hardware and the lag in the game, but there's not much I can do about the lag. I hope that gets fixed by release.

The game is apparently going to be free to play so that's going to be pretty nice, but that also means it's probably not going to be as nice an experience as it would were the people playing all be paying to play. Cause most complete idiots aren't going to be paying to play.

Some bugs i've noticed so far is spawning currently sucks, and I don't seem to be able to run over anyone but my faction in vehicles. Which means I have to be super careful in tanks and I can't go "hey you're in my way other guy who isn't dying from my tank shells" and run his tail over. So meh. Hopefully that's a bug and is fixed, because there's plenty of kills i'd have had by now if I could have run someone over. Also flying sucks, and really seems to require a joystick or gamepad... which is really a pain to setup or i'd have done it already.

Here's my footage. It might still be uploading, depending on when you see it. Just give it time. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Wj5FZms ... e=youtu.be
[Click the sig to check out my music]
emmy wrote:It's not to prevent the suit from being stolen, but to prevent the fancy mofo in it from being stolen. :P

EvilNinjadude
Templar Inner Circle

Re: Planetside 2

#2 Post by EvilNinjadude »

Beta IS beta folks, don't go and expect it to be perfect.

So you're one of 'em Dictators? Thanks for running over your friends, me and my buddies appreciate it.
I'm hanging out on the EU servers. Yes I live there. I play NC mostly.

Glad to see this isn't passing EVERYONE by, like the first game did. Seriously, I told one of my older friends about it when he saw me playing, and he was astounded that he'd never even heard of the original despite the interesting concept.

So yes. It's a beta. You should still play. I enjoy betas because they simply encourage me to keep playing, more than a finished game would, to see where it's going and where it came from.

Tygron
Notakitty!

#3 Post by Tygron »

Well I know it is a beta. I just figure the vehicle thing would have been a kind of in house already done thing. And no I don't run over people on purpose, at least not on my team. But yes if you're in my way, you're gonna be flat.

I don't expect a beta to be perfect, but the flight controls just plain suck. I don't really know how to fix them either. The joystick configuration isn't exactly their fault, I mean I suppose they could throw in native xbox 360 controller support like most games now but I don't expect that from a PC game much less a beta. PC joysticks are always a pain to configure in games unless you know which axis is what and what direction from the get go, and sometimes games like to change that.

And even though is is beta I can still have my opinions about things. I don't really care if you're some sort of vet from the first game, it doesn't give you the right to be an [censored]. This is a new game, the old one doesn't matter at this point and I hear this new one is quite different than that one anyway. So if you want to talk about the game fine, but don't be a dick.
emmy wrote:It's not to prevent the suit from being stolen, but to prevent the fancy mofo in it from being stolen. :P

EvilNinjadude
Templar Inner Circle

#4 Post by EvilNinjadude »

I never stated that I've ever played the first game. I did state it terribly though. I meant that I was playing the PS2 beta... then I told him about the first one... then he told me he didn't know it. My bad.

And no I am not one of the angry vets. Yes I suck at Piloting too, and am trying to assign keys to all the controls in the hope that it will stop me from crashing as often.

When did I tell you you could not have opinions? Did I say something wrong?

Tygron
Notakitty!

#5 Post by Tygron »

You just seemed to come off as a real dick with the big "IT'S A BETA" thing there. The rest of the post suffered from "yep i'm an [censored]" after that. NOW PLEASE WAIT. I don't want trouble, and you seem like a nice guy to talk to. It's just how I read the one post, my bad.

Honestly I think the game is pretty cool, pretty hardware intensive though. Probably the most intensive on my computer at the moment, which is saying something since I can run pretty much everything I have on max settings. Makes me feel like i'm on my old laptop again. I shudder to think of how it would run this.

I just wish there were better joystick support, or at least a way to put the roll on A and D with the yaw on the mouse. That makes more sense to me, but without screwing up all the other vehicles, I don't really see a good way to do that. My other problem with flying is that I seem to not be able to see ANYONE until i'm getting shot at from behind with no way to get them off my tail. THAT is probably what bugs me the most. Any tips for that?

EvilNinjadude
Templar Inner Circle

#6 Post by EvilNinjadude »

Sorry, spending too much time hanging out in the other forums. I just thought I'd throw it out here, because at some point, someone has to say it. I'm that guy.

Yeah, flight controls took some practice. I need more of it still, my major problem is Roll. I landed a gal on a pad, it proceeded to roll off because... well, roll. It wasn't landed straight.

I've found it works a lot like rocket jumping in other games: You slowly wave your mouse in the direction you want to go while strafing in that direction. That should turn you nice and easy. Straightening out is what I have to work on next.

EvilNinjadude
Templar Inner Circle

#7 Post by EvilNinjadude »

Wow. Flew my first Galaxy Dropship today... easiest thing ever, compared to what you'd expect. It practically lands itself.

For problems with sideways roll... Two missing keybinds matched to surplus mouse keys (that I don't ever use anyway) gives me additional Roll control. Problem solved forever. Roll right way up, press C to land, B to deploy, E to exit and Mouse1 to kill stuff.

I thought it'd be harder.

Tygron
Notakitty!

#8 Post by Tygron »

Got a lot of flying practice today, it's not quite as bad as I thought really. Dogfights are still a pain, and i'd also love to know how to acquire missile pods for my Mosquito. Still would be nice to have a joystick, but I don't really have room for one on my desk.

EvilNinjadude
Templar Inner Circle

#9 Post by EvilNinjadude »

Dogfights really are a pain, aren't they? For Missile pods and other weapons, hit escape, then the glowing shopping cart in the bottom right. Purchase weapons using Auraxium.

I recommend an Anti-Air weapons such as bursters or Lock-On rocket launchers as first item. There is hardly any way to deal with aircraft from the ground without having a purchased G2A weapon.

TheDragonfiend
Templar GrandMaster

#10 Post by TheDragonfiend »

God damnit i have beta access to both ps2 and FireFall but know i cant decide what game to play... FireFall was winning and now you talking about ps2 has put me in a stalemate ARGHHHH
ImageImageImage

Tygron
Notakitty!

#11 Post by Tygron »

What exactly is Firefall? another MMO FPS? It was sounding like it was, but more rpgish with quests and stuff.

TheDragonfiend
Templar GrandMaster

#12 Post by TheDragonfiend »

Tygron wrote:What exactly is Firefall? another MMO FPS? It was sounding like it was, but more rpgish with quests and stuff.
Yeah its like planetsides rpg cousin less pvp more pve oh and motorbikes (purely transport vehicles are planned right now) its pretty much a f2p defiance... Today
ImageImageImage

Tygron
Notakitty!

#13 Post by Tygron »

TheDragonfiend wrote:
Tygron wrote:What exactly is Firefall? another MMO FPS? It was sounding like it was, but more rpgish with quests and stuff.
Yeah its like planetsides rpg cousin less pvp more pve oh and motorbikes (purely transport vehicles are planned right now) its pretty much a f2p defiance... Today
I'll have to look more into it. Sounds interesting.

As far as PS2 goes i'm getting really tired of being one shotted by heavy assault's rockets when my own damn rockets take 3 or so shots to kill anything. That isn't moving. Also getting outgunned when aiming at peoples heads and shooting at them first, keeping my aim on them at all times. They just look at me and i'm dead. And it doesn't look like it's much of a lag issue either.

I also remembered seeing the shop before, but at quick glance looked like there were things there and nothing for sale. Now I see some things are for sale. Too bad pods take so much Auraxium... i've only got about 4000 on this character. And cert points are anoying.

EvilNinjadude
Templar Inner Circle

#14 Post by EvilNinjadude »

Let me guess... you're not playing TR.

It comes down to this.
If I surprise someone, two options: He's a soldier, and I kill him OR he's a MAX, and I die, even if I try and run.
If I meet someone unexpectedly, two options. If he's TR, I die. If he's VS, even chances of me or him dying.
If someone surprises me, I die.

That's pretty much the whole thing.

Firefall is less like Planetside 2 in its gameplay Targets and mechanics... it's more like what you'd get if you stuck WoW in a blender with TF2. And I mean that in a good sense.

Tygron
Notakitty!

#15 Post by Tygron »

Actually I am playing TR...
Had some fun today though, got invited to a big squad. Ended up helping TR take almost the entire map, we ran into some rough spots around the Vanu warpgate and that's where things went bad. And then I missed a whole time to help my squad when I got in a lib with someone else going to help out and he gets lost. I couldn't hear him on voice over everyone else not to mention the horrible garble whenever anyone spoke. Once we get flipped upside down by an idiot in a Mosquito and die I respawn on them and we take Rashnu for a little. And then I got off when they decided to regroup back at warp. Pretty awesome though.

I was thinking Firefall sounded like that, sounds interesting.