Rainbow 6 : Patriots

For all your seizure inducing goodness!

Moderator: Moderators

Talaisan
Templar Inner Circle

Rainbow 6 : Patriots

#1 Post by Talaisan »

Well, this is new. A Rainbow 6 game with a story? And a notable lack of funny-accented villains?

Game Informer this month ran a cover story on an early demo of this game. From both the screenshots (damn good looking) and their description of the fragment of the story they were allowed to watch, I may actually want to play a Rainbow 6 game for the first time since the first one. It's actually RELEVANT to the current state of the world.
Marian's Tale 1-4 and 5-? - Rated R. Sex, kink, spies, nobility, scandal, plots, ploys, and one poor, confused college girl stuck in the middle.
My FurAffinity : Stories and fantasy garb.

Insomniac
The Experienced Virgin
Fav. Twokinds Character: Natani

Re: Rainbow 6 : Patriots

#2 Post by Insomniac »

I was hoping someone would make this thread because I'm lazy and stuff. This game looks awesome and we should all play it.
From the Sergals and Sergal Lovers channel of F-List's chat system (Beyond NSFW, by the way): Honey, you ain't the only abnormal sergal in here. We got three pink northerns, a fairy, and a dork with a talking sword.

Sable Dove
Pocket Androgyne

#3 Post by Sable Dove »

Saw a video they showed. Was instantly suspicious of the "Not actual gameplay footage" at the bottom of the screen for the entire video.

So far I haven't seen much hard info on the game, and given the recent trend in shooters (by recent, I of course mean the last decade or so) towards more arcade gameplay, I will maintain my scepticism. The last thing I want is another crappy arcade shooter. I have a ton of them, and they all suck. More like the older games; Athena Sword, Raven Shield, etc. Hopefully they can figure out how shotguns work; we don't need any more CoD shotguns in the genre. I would love it if the shotguns weren't a huge handicap most of the time.

You know what I kinda want to see return? Fluid posture. You hold down a key, and your mouse now controls your stance and leaning. I'm so damn tired of map designers putting objects that you can see through gaps, but if you're near them, no stance will allow you to aim through the gaps, but a distant enemy will easily spot you and shoot you through the gaps.
And so it was that Godhead Pickle Inspector created the universe. He regarded His creation with fondness and saw that it was good.
http://www.furaffinity.net/user/ivory-raven/
http://www.tumblr.com/blog/sable-sonata

Insomniac
The Experienced Virgin

#4 Post by Insomniac »

Sable Dove wrote:Saw a video they showed. Was instantly suspicious of the "Not actual gameplay footage" at the bottom of the screen for the entire video.

So far I haven't seen much hard info on the game, and given the recent trend in shooters (by recent, I of course mean the last decade or so) towards more arcade gameplay, I will maintain my scepticism. The last thing I want is another crappy arcade shooter. I have a ton of them, and they all suck. More like the older games; Athena Sword, Raven Shield, etc. Hopefully they can figure out how shotguns work; we don't need any more CoD shotguns in the genre. I would love it if the shotguns weren't a huge handicap most of the time.

You know what I kinda want to see return? Fluid posture. You hold down a key, and your mouse now controls your stance and leaning. I'm so damn tired of map designers putting objects that you can see through gaps, but if you're near them, no stance will allow you to aim through the gaps, but a distant enemy will easily spot you and shoot you through the gaps.
I remember in one of the Rainbow 6 games, I think it was Vegas, at least one of the shotguns fired slugs instead of shells and had pretty decent range.
From the Sergals and Sergal Lovers channel of F-List's chat system (Beyond NSFW, by the way): Honey, you ain't the only abnormal sergal in here. We got three pink northerns, a fairy, and a dork with a talking sword.

Sable Dove
Pocket Androgyne

#5 Post by Sable Dove »

I haven't played a game with good shotguns since Rainbow Six 3. (Excluding Homefront, where the only shotgun was overpowered, but you had to pay real money for it.)
Granted, I never really played Vegas online, but if the maximum range of shotguns firing buckshot is less than 50 yards or so, they haven't done them well.

Also, third person and tactical don't belong together. Being able to see around corners and over cover without exposing yourself is stupid. It makes it pointless to do anything but camp, because if you're moving, you're at a disadvantage to anyone around any corner. Sure, you could toss a flashbang at every corner, but I'm pretty sure that you'd run out in a hurry, and as soon as you wind up to throw, you know the guy hiding around the corner is going to pop out and kill you.

Prospects look bleak.
And so it was that Godhead Pickle Inspector created the universe. He regarded His creation with fondness and saw that it was good.
http://www.furaffinity.net/user/ivory-raven/
http://www.tumblr.com/blog/sable-sonata

Talaisan
Templar Inner Circle

#6 Post by Talaisan »

As I avoid any sort of online multiplayer, most of this does not concern me. The few times I've tried multiplayer (COD 4 and DNF) it has been made clear to me that it is a lake full of angry, hateful sharks with hax. I do not want to go swimming in there a third time.

I'm much more interested in the story line. I will probably rent it, play through on easy to enjoy the story, and return it within three days. I play very few games for "the challenge" or to "prove my skills". I reserve those for my LARP combat.
Marian's Tale 1-4 and 5-? - Rated R. Sex, kink, spies, nobility, scandal, plots, ploys, and one poor, confused college girl stuck in the middle.

Ma'ii
New Citizen

#7 Post by Ma'ii »

Well aside from all the would be complaints and so on...
I myself am particularly excited about this. I haven't played a shooter actually as well put together as rainbow 6 vegas 2 in a long while. I want to see how the new "Terrorist Hunt" mode is going to be if its in there. I enjoyed that a lot personally. As for death matches in this type of setting I like it. So what if its mainly centered around cover combat. I loved how you could change firing hands in Vegas 2. I didn't see it in anything yet but I hope they keep that. As a left handed firer myself I thought it was awesome how i could do that. Up on a wall. first thing that comes to my mind as someone who has done the whole get shot and and blown up for no real tangible reason other than college money for their country thing I would switch to the had that had the least amount of my body showing as a duh. as a person who has been gaming for slowly closing in on nearly 2 decades I see games for what they are as well as how they are put together in comparison. So seeing as they are talking about 2013 release date I already can not wait. The concept of the story from what is out there for now is awesome. That and what weapons and so on that I had quickly I.D.'d I have high hopes once again for the weapon selection. Then the toys. Talking about thermal optics and so on even into the character customization in which i hope is still present. That and the type of armor you selected directly affected how your performance in game was also an innovation at the time in gaming. I cant wait to get it and play it for years like I have been for Vegas 2.
"I am a Razor Tail mercenary... or was. Send the word out to everyone who can hear your voice. That the Survivor has come to render true Judgement." <Ma'ii in Resurgence Book 1 to Japanese Prime Minister of the Cabinet>

Envy661
Envy x Banned Forever
Location: Back in the Yamaku Dorms, cuddlin' it up with Emi where I belong.

#8 Post by Envy661 »

Vegas 2 had a pretty fun story -_-

And as for the regards to the games having bad Shotguns - I beg to differ. I got raped plenty of times with a shotgun in Terrorist Hunt in Vegas 2. :/ If anything, they had too much range for a multiplayer scenario. Shotguns shouldn't be a 1-shot insta-kill from 30 yards away. That's overpowered..... Make it 2 shots, so I at least have a CHANCE to kill them with my, at that point greatly underpowered Assault Rifle.

On another note, you know what hasn't been done right since Call of Duty 4? LMGs. For some reason, modern developers think these things should be able to lose out to SMGs at any range, and I highly beg to differ.... LMGs were fine in Vegas 2. Lets hope they dont [censored] them up in Patriots....
ɔıƃol ʎʌuǝ ǝsnɐɔǝq
deviantART | Steam Account | Forum Sigs | Otaku Streamers
Message me for access to the Twokinds Unoffical Official Skype Chat!

Talaisan
Templar Inner Circle

#9 Post by Talaisan »

A full sized machine gun compared to an SMG firing the same caliber should be a no-brainer. Probably a slightly lower RoF, larger ammo capacity, but greatly improved grouping, especially over long range. That was something I liked about Borderlands. If you wanted to get up close and spray hot death, you picked a SMG. If you wanted to do something similar at longer ranges, you found the most frightening thought I've ever had, a scoped LMG with a drum clip.

Anyway, I haven't played a Rainbow Six game since the PS1. I want this one bad. I have not heard a single thing about it that doesn't intrigue me. I'm not an online multiplayer kind of guy, so nothing there is really relevant to me.

Insomniac
The Experienced Virgin

#10 Post by Insomniac »

Envy661 wrote:Vegas 2 had a pretty fun story -_-

And as for the regards to the games having bad Shotguns - I beg to differ. I got raped plenty of times with a shotgun in Terrorist Hunt in Vegas 2. :/ If anything, they had too much range for a multiplayer scenario. Shotguns shouldn't be a 1-shot insta-kill from 30 yards away. That's overpowered..... Make it 2 shots, so I at least have a CHANCE to kill them with my, at that point greatly underpowered Assault Rifle.
At least one of the shotguns in R6V2 fired slugs rather than shells. So basically, a giant bullet instead of pellets. Even with body armor, a shotgun will at least put you down within its accurate range (up to about 100 yards) if fire shells. Firing slugs...What armor? For that matter, what body? It'll splatter your everything over EVERYTHING, and have a slightly farther effective range.