Call of Duty: Black Ops

For all your seizure inducing goodness!

Moderator: Moderators

Schnopps
Templar GrandMaster

Call of Duty: Black Ops

#1 Post by Schnopps »

Just announced earlier this morning the next Call of Duty has been titled and given a release date of November 9th, 2010. It will be titled Call of Duty: Black Ops and is developed by Treyarch. The last game that Treyarch made as you may recall was Call of Duty: World At War. Below are links to the official site and so far what little information is currently known.

Announcement

Possible Settings?

Official Site

Personal Impressions: A Call of Duty game every year? That's just going to oversaturate the market in my opinion, for goodness sake Modern Warfare 2 hasn't even been out for a year yet and they're just now releasing map packs for it! This is just opinion right here, but I don't think Treyarch's Call of Duty games are anywhere near as good as those put together by Infinity Ward (which has been collapsing in on itself over the past few weeks). Although I will concede that shifting the setting (FINALLY) from WWII Europe to Vietnam would be a nice change of pace for Treyarch.

...Your thoughts?

JediGuy
Zombicidal Maniac

Re: Call of Duty: Black Ops

#2 Post by JediGuy »

For the record, the Call of Duty and Modern Warfare franchises are now separate. So, unless I'm mistaken, this is just the next step for the CoD franchise, rather than MW.

Looks nice, though. I'll need to keep tabs on it.

EDIT: Yup, as I expected. This is from the same group that brought us Call of Duty: World at War, and is the next progression from there.
Magic is merely science that we have yet to understand.

Locke357
Grand Templar

#3 Post by Locke357 »

I am just SO tired of CoD. So very tired. Especially since the best CoD games I've played (CoD 2 and 4) were made by Infinity Ward, I doubt I'll ever play this game. Heck, I haven't even looked at the reveal announcement.

Schnopps
Templar GrandMaster

#4 Post by Schnopps »

JediGuy wrote:For the record, the Call of Duty and Modern Warfare franchises are now separate. So, unless I'm mistaken, this is just the next step for the CoD franchise, rather than MW.
That's what I thought initially as well when Infinity Ward tried releasing Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 quite simply as "Modern Warfare 2". Activision would have none of it though and more or less argued that without the Call of Duty moniker tacked on, it wouldn't sell as well. In short suggesting that they thought consumers were too stupid to make the connection between Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare and Modern Warfare 2. I'm still quite certain that Modern Warfare still falls under the Call of Duty franchise even though it's quite clear that Infinity Ward had desired to separate Modern Warfare from Call of Duty all together.

leoian
Banned
Banned

#5 Post by leoian »

Hey a new call of duty =3
I hope this new episode is better than the last
More explosion and weapons and that's good
:flora:

Lief
No hugs, I asplode.
Fav. Twokinds Character: Raine

#6 Post by Lief »

I haven't looked at anything for it, but it'll probably be pretty good. Treyarch specializes in story, and that's what's important in singleplayer games, right? (Aside from good graphics.)

Oh, wait, I forgot. Noone gives a damn about singleplayer. It's all about multiplayer.

Pl4t0
Apprentice

#7 Post by Pl4t0 »

I wonder if we're actually going to GET Modern Warfare 3 (a proper, Infinity Ward one, that is), what with their current fiaso.

On topic: the trailer is enticing, but so was the one for WaW. As a fairly faithful PC gamer, I'm just not all that impressed by brainless shootouts anymore. ESPECIALLY not impressed by Multiplayer that is all about killing the other player before they can even see you (*nudgenudge, MW2*).

At least we're getting a game where an insanely ludicrous and completely unplausible Tom Clancy-esque plot makes some SENSE to have.
You are confined by the naive perception that Reality is defined by Reason.

Schnopps
Templar GrandMaster

#8 Post by Schnopps »

For those still interested here's the official trailer for Black Ops that Pl4t0 was referring to.
Official Trailer

For those of you who actually want to see what the hell was going on in the video here's a link to where you can view all the still images.
Stills courtesy of Kotaku

I doubt I'll even buy this game but I still feel like I ought to be responsible about this thread and update it with new information when it's released seeing as how I started it up.

flyingfruit
Council Member

#9 Post by flyingfruit »

i dunno. i never really liked any of treyarch's games, so unless this turns out to be amazing, I probably won't buy it.
But i honestly think they will just slap on another skin on MW2, which is exactly what WaW did to Call of Duty 4.
Story Time!
clicky please :3
Also, just call me fruit.
Personality type is INT/FP if anyone was wondering.

Schnopps
Templar GrandMaster

#10 Post by Schnopps »

Actually to be fair to Treyarch I stumbled across this rather informative post on Kotaku earlier. I believe that I may have been mistaken in how I viewed them. This is all comes from a Kotaku poster known as AncientUnknown1 as far as proper citation goes. I'm pretty sure most of these innovations he's talking about came about in CoD:WaW.
AncientUnknown1 wrote:We're going inside baseball here. This is going to be long.

Some innovations and other good ideas Treyarch has brought to the COD series:

1) Nazi zombie mode.
2) Extended mag attachments for guns. Used by IW.
3) Reduction of the broken "3x frag" perk down to "2x frag".
4) "Second Chance" revive mechanic.
5) Tossing back grenades. Used by IW.
6) Online website with in-depth stat tracking.
7) Scaling "assist exp" by how much damage you did.
8) Vs. Nemesi k/d ratio tracking.
9) Lobby leaderboards. Handy for finding out the guy on first prestige has played twice as long as the guy on 10th prestige.
10) Sticky grenades. Used by IW.
11) Additional custom classes for doing prestige. Used by IW.
12) Banking killstreaks. You don't lose one if you don't use it before earning the next one. Used by IW.
13) Prevented the cheap practice of chaining one killstreak from a previous life towards earning new killstreaks on the current life. (Cod4 had a major problem with people doing this with airstrikes). Used by IW.
14) Bootcamp playlist. Although proper matchmaking should make this redundant.
15) Local Only match preference option for matchmaking.
16) Free map DLC. (Makin' Day).
17) Deployable LMG stands in console versions.
18) Tracking performance in leaderboards by match type.
19) Scoring points for killing opponents killstreaks. (+3 exp for each dog killed). Which actually counted towards match score. I've won numerous TDM's by killing an opponents attack dog.
20) Option to turn off Aim Assist in online matches.
21) Semi-auto firerate limiter that only kicks in after noticing too many shots too quickly after some amount of time. Better than IW's solution of flatly lowering the firerate because it allows people with quick trigger fingers to enjoy their gift while still rendering modded controllers useless.

--------
Areas Treyarch needs to work on for their next game:

1) Swapping to a pistol should be faster than swapping to a non-pistol. That's the pistol key advantage.
2) More diversity between guns in the same category. The M1911, Nambu, Walther, and the Tokerev pistols were nearly identical to each other functionally. As were the Springfield, Arisaka, Kar, and Mosin Nagant snipers. As well as the rifles SVT and the Gewehr being almost the same except the skins.
3) Shorter killstreaks. Artiliary shellings lasted too long.
4) Better balancing. The MP40+Juggernaut combo was too powerful and never got fully fixed.
5) Mines that could be hidden too well without any giveaway sign and tripped too quickly making them horribly overpowered.
6) Guns unlocked at later levels shouldn't be categorically superior to guns unlocked earlier; which in many ways was the case with the M1A1 in regards to the SVT and the Gewehr by functioning nearly identically except for a larger magazine; and to some degree a problem with the PTRS sniper being superior in every category except the amount of additional rounds carried in your pocket.

Sable Dove
Pocket Androgyne

#11 Post by Sable Dove »

AncientUnknown1 wrote:We're going inside baseball here. This is going to be long.

Some innovations and other good ideas Treyarch has brought to the COD series:

1) Nazi zombie mode.
2) Extended mag attachments for guns. Used by IW.
3) Reduction of the broken "3x frag" perk down to "2x frag".
4) "Second Chance" revive mechanic.
5) Tossing back grenades. Used by IW.
6) Online website with in-depth stat tracking.
7) Scaling "assist exp" by how much damage you did.
8) Vs. Nemesi k/d ratio tracking.
9) Lobby leaderboards. Handy for finding out the guy on first prestige has played twice as long as the guy on 10th prestige.
10) Sticky grenades. Used by IW.
11) Additional custom classes for doing prestige. Used by IW.
12) Banking killstreaks. You don't lose one if you don't use it before earning the next one. Used by IW.
13) Prevented the cheap practice of chaining one killstreak from a previous life towards earning new killstreaks on the current life. (Cod4 had a major problem with people doing this with airstrikes). Used by IW.
14) Bootcamp playlist. Although proper matchmaking should make this redundant.
15) Local Only match preference option for matchmaking.
16) Free map DLC. (Makin' Day).
17) Deployable LMG stands in console versions.
18) Tracking performance in leaderboards by match type.
19) Scoring points for killing opponents killstreaks. (+3 exp for each dog killed). Which actually counted towards match score. I've won numerous TDM's by killing an opponents attack dog.
20) Option to turn off Aim Assist in online matches.
21) Semi-auto firerate limiter that only kicks in after noticing too many shots too quickly after some amount of time. Better than IW's solution of flatly lowering the firerate because it allows people with quick trigger fingers to enjoy their gift while still rendering modded controllers useless.

--------
Areas Treyarch needs to work on for their next game:

1) Swapping to a pistol should be faster than swapping to a non-pistol. That's the pistol key advantage.
2) More diversity between guns in the same category. The M1911, Nambu, Walther, and the Tokerev pistols were nearly identical to each other functionally. As were the Springfield, Arisaka, Kar, and Mosin Nagant snipers. As well as the rifles SVT and the Gewehr being almost the same except the skins.
3) Shorter killstreaks. Artiliary shellings lasted too long.
4) Better balancing. The MP40+Juggernaut combo was too powerful and never got fully fixed.
5) Mines that could be hidden too well without any giveaway sign and tripped too quickly making them horribly overpowered.
6) Guns unlocked at later levels shouldn't be categorically superior to guns unlocked earlier; which in many ways was the case with the M1A1 in regards to the SVT and the Gewehr by functioning nearly identically except for a larger magazine; and to some degree a problem with the PTRS sniper being superior in every category except the amount of additional rounds carried in your pocket.
#20: Oh god, yes please. I can't count the number of times aim "assist" has gotten me killed in MW2...
#17 too: Apparently bipods nowadays are solely for keeping the weapon upright when you set it down on an ammo case.

A couple things I felt they should have done differently in WaW: Don't make the anti-tank rifle a sniper rifle that's all but useless against tanks...
Make the Bouncing Bettys not go off through walls, potentially killing their owner because someone walked along the exterior wall.
Make camo hide you from killstreaks.
Make the insta-kill knife a perk in and of itself; prefereably the second perk, so they have to give up a significant ability to get it.
Get rid of stopping power and juggernaut; both are annoying as hell, though significantly less so in hardcore.
And so it was that Godhead Pickle Inspector created the universe. He regarded His creation with fondness and saw that it was good.
http://www.furaffinity.net/user/ivory-raven/
http://www.tumblr.com/blog/sable-sonata

Pl4t0
Apprentice

#12 Post by Pl4t0 »

A mighty list of improvements indeed - if only the online experience wasn't mired by matchmaking. Well, that's assuming they're gonna cut out dedicated servers, which I'm forecasting at about a 97.21% chance right now.
You are confined by the naive perception that Reality is defined by Reason.

CaptainBaconMan
Master

#13 Post by CaptainBaconMan »

Screw CoD, I'm waiting for the new MoH.

Lief
No hugs, I asplode.
Fav. Twokinds Character: Raine

#14 Post by Lief »

CaptainBaconMan wrote:Screw CoD, I'm waiting for the new MoH.
Why not wait for both? I mean, both series are good games.

Cody MacArthur Fett
Master

#15 Post by Cody MacArthur Fett »

Lief wrote:
CaptainBaconMan wrote:Screw CoD, I'm waiting for the new MoH.
Why not wait for both? I mean, both series are good games.
One word: Money. Games are expensive after all.

As for COD: Black Ops, I don't know. On the one hand, it is a COD game, but on the other MW2 left a pretty bad taste in my mouth from being "all flash, no bash" -- not to mention being downright painful for a gun enthusiast to play. I'll probably wait a few months before giving it a shot to be honest.