Call of Duty: Black Ops

For all your seizure inducing goodness!

Moderator: Moderators

FoobyKamikaze
Foodophile

Re: Call of Duty: Black Ops

#91 Post by FoobyKamikaze »

Sable Dove wrote:The problem with the shotguns was that the range was pathetically short, not that it was too long. They've always had pathetic range.
Ohhh, I thought you were talking about them being crazy-ranged as a bad thing .__.
Excepting the SPAS and the M1014, and I guess the Models, shotguns were pretty decent, but I could never get the Keymaster to work for me. I'd get hit markers, but never any kills unless I was pretty much at point-blank.
But then again, I don't play hardcore that often, maybe that's why.

So yeah, the shotguns in Black Ops have even less range than before. I haven't tried out the Masterkey yet, but the rest of them are pretty much super-close ranged weapons alone. Something like that'll completely screw up a balanced play-style, since you can't compliment shotguns with assault rifles anymore, completely reducing your combat effectiveness and restricting you to hiding in buildings most of the time. Yay, camping x.x

So I finished the campaign. Just on Regular for now, I'll take a stab at Hardened another time. But ooooohhhhhh my god the plot made less since than the MW games.
Really enjoyed it, though. Favorite mission was definitely the Escape from Kowloon. During part of it, I swear, the music and the lightning made me feel like I was at a rave. XD

Ironworks
Templar Inner Circle

#92 Post by Ironworks »

So was the campaign actually enjoyable in this game?
Admittedly, I haven't touched it once. I have never been able to bring myself to completing a single CoD Campaign before, as I've truly found them all to be...terrible.
Is it worth the try? Something to say it's worth doing?
If it's just like, or anything like for that matter, the capaigns of MW2 or WaW, I probably will continue to leave that untouched.

Cessna Skyhawk
Templar Inner Circle

#93 Post by Cessna Skyhawk »

GumbyDarnit wrote:I have never been able to bring myself to completing a single CoD Campaign before, as I've truly found them all to be...terrible.
Not even the first two games? :? Their campaigns were excellent.

I haven't played it myself, but I heard Blops' campaign was pretty good. Miles better than MW2's at least, though that's not saying much. Though, apparently, ridiculously easy, since you can go through whole missions without firing a single shot.
da Vinci wrote:Once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return.

Sable Dove
Pocket Androgyne

#94 Post by Sable Dove »

Yeah, see, they don't know anything about how to handle shotguns. They needed to increase range dramatically and reduce the damage significantly. If you double-barrel with the Ranger, you can kill someone nine times over, but you can't hit anything beyond about 3 feet. Neither Treyarch nor Infinity Ward have any idea how to make a viable shotgun primary, and Treyarch was always the worst.

It's mind boggling how they can't balance shotguns after four tries. In fact, CoD is probably the only series that I can think of that has pathetic shotguns. Just goes to show how bad they are at game design, I guess, when you just can't fix something that no one else has problems with, and you actually know how to fix the problem, but just don't do it. I was looking forward to Black Ops, but not so much anymore; I don't think bad game designers should be rewarded for making bad games.
And so it was that Godhead Pickle Inspector created the universe. He regarded His creation with fondness and saw that it was good.
http://www.furaffinity.net/user/ivory-raven/
http://www.tumblr.com/blog/sable-sonata

Extorio
Templar GrandMaster

#95 Post by Extorio »

The shotguns in this game are extremely awful.

I shot somebody at point-blank with the Stakeout and they just ran through it, then knifed me from behind. Brilliant. Admittedly, I thought that the shotguns in MW2 were overpowered because they were secondary weapons. But now that they're primaries, they should be just as powerful as they were in MW2, with maybe even a little bit more range.

I sincerely hope that Infinity Ward keeps Shotguns as secondaries in MW3.

Arashi500
Master

#96 Post by Arashi500 »

Shotguns are actually one of the things I regularly get higher then a 2.0 K/D ratio with in this game. They aren't complimented by loadouts anymore, but the maps themselves. I normaly only die when someone uses a tomahawk or I don't notice them there, as opposed to ever losing in a gun fight. I think I'm hearing that you guys want medium range guns with less damage for balanced shotguns, but then they'd be useless if they weren't one-shot kills at their range because of the SMG and AR fire rates in comparison. Also the second shotgun(I think it's the stakeout) you get in this game has considerable one-shot range with steady aim and firing from the hip.

On note, beat the campaign yesterday. Crazy hard on hardened, and I loved the story(best CoD story IMO), though it's really hard to tell you anything about since any specific details spoil it all. Nazi Zombies in the whitehouse/pentagon(not sure which) place is funny as crap with nixon. Hes so jumpy.
My last.fm

War is not about dying for your country or beliefs, but making the other SOB die for his.

Ironworks
Templar Inner Circle

#97 Post by Ironworks »

I agree with Arashi here.
I've always felt Treyarch does such a better job at balancing their games.
Now do some of the Shotguns need a bit more range to them over all? Most definitely. Shotguns in CoD games have never been perfect.
Does anyone know about that patch coming out in the near future, and if this applies to shotguns at all?

On another note, got a pic of my playercard :)
Yeah, totally got a Pikachu :P
And lol at the clan tag (thanks again Fooby XD)

Has anyone else made any clever emblems?

Locke357
Grand Templar

#98 Post by Locke357 »

I'm sorry, but the entire online multiplayer experience just feels like MW2 all over again except with crappier maps. I doubt I'll be playing it for much longer at all.

I do, however, find killing bots with a friend on splitscreen to a LOT of fun xD

Arashi500
Master

#99 Post by Arashi500 »

I like the overall feel of the game better then MW2, but yeah, the maps suck hard. I will angry if the first map pack isn't all huge sniping style maps. Nuketown is the only map I like.
My last.fm

War is not about dying for your country or beliefs, but making the other SOB die for his.

FoobyKamikaze
Foodophile

#100 Post by FoobyKamikaze »

My emblem's a hypno-paw!
I'll get a picture later.
Locke357 wrote:I do, however, find killing bots with a friend on splitscreen to a LOT of fun xD
That it is. Especially when the bots have names like GumbyDarnit. XD

Not a fan of many of the maps either. Half of them just exploit my lack of luck when playing this game, that I'll go around a corner or down a pathway about half a second before someone else is going across a perpendicular pathway, and then they get an effortless kill on me.

Arashi500
Master

#101 Post by Arashi500 »

My problem with them is that traffic is either nonexistant so planning a tactical route to go around the map is pointless, or it's all focused in one or two spots which gets peppered with tactical grenades. anti-sniping is so present on every map I almost don't need to bring it up.

Another problem I have with these kind of class customization games(Medal of Honor, Battlefield BC, ect) is the blandness of the weapons, and the fact that more will never added with DLC. Easily solved here if they added the WW2 weapons that are already on the disc into multiplayer. I'd prefer a PPSH over any of this game's SMgs or Mosin Nagant or Arisaka over the rifles in this game.
My last.fm

TwoKindsAddict
Apprentice

#102 Post by TwoKindsAddict »

i love the game its way above MW2, i hate most of the maps, the spawns are like contantly playing on rust from MW2 but it is more reliable and super custimizable so i like it.

My emblem is a white bear paw with a hammer and sicle on the bottom main part of the footprint...
avengedplatypus wrote:Tom is the God of the 2kinds world.. If homosexual aliens and martians fell from the sky and sexually molested the sack of potatoes.. well... deal with it.

WTIBoy
Master

#103 Post by WTIBoy »

played it at a friends online and i have to say im not much of a fan of the multiplayer :? Had some cool new things to mess with but they downgraded the graphics and stuff to do so, best part for me had to be the zombie maps. still enjoyable to play with friends
Empty till i think of something to put here

My dragon:Image

Locke357
Grand Templar

#104 Post by Locke357 »

Arashi500 wrote: Easily solved here if they added the WW2 weapons that are already on the disc into multiplayer. I'd prefer a PPSH over any of this game's SMgs or Mosin Nagant or Arisaka over the rifles in this game.
That would ROCK! I played CoD WaW a fair amount online, and was I the only one who went out of his way to pick up the Scoped Mosin Nagant in the campaign? I would totally use that in multiplayer, I sure as hell like it better than any of the crap sniper rifles they give you. Seriously, they're SNIPER RIFLES, why are the accuracy stats for them so low?

I mean really, the nerf shotguns, make sniper rifles inaccurate and make the maps super close quarters, it's liked they engineered the game simply for running around corners with SMGs. There's just no variety in the online multiplayer.

Ironworks
Templar Inner Circle

#105 Post by Ironworks »

Well, now that the whole "AMG NEW COD GAME AHH!" has worn off, I find myself hating a lot of aspects in it.
The game is so much more balanced than MW2 was, that's for sure. But so much of it is just terribly done. Snipers, Shotguns, level layouts...
I honestly find myself missing World at War, as I honestly felt that game had THE best CoD online multiplayer to date. It was balanced near perfectly (as far as CoD games go), all the levels seemed appropriate for any type of gun, INCLUDING snipers. And who doesn't miss unscoped snipers? XD
Treyarch will always have my respect over Infinity Ward, but I just feel like they forgot what made World At War good.