Star Wars: The Old Republic

For all your seizure inducing goodness!

Moderator: Moderators

JediGuy
Zombicidal Maniac

Re: Star Wars: The Old Republic

#61 Post by JediGuy »

The thread will get stickied when a bit more interest is shown. I don't mean it to sound jerk-ish or anything, just that there's only been about four or so people posting the past few weeks, back and forth.
Magic is merely science that we have yet to understand.

Envy661
Envy x Banned Forever
Location: Back in the Yamaku Dorms, cuddlin' it up with Emi where I belong.

#62 Post by Envy661 »

Remade my Sith Warrior on Keller's Void. Wanna find me on there, hit up Envyous (That's gonna sound epic when I get the Darth Title).

I'm really loving the Rage spec for the Juggernaut Advanced Class. I was originally gonna try tank, but the lure of the abilities in Rage got my attention too much, and it's a nice change of pace from Vengeance with my other SW.

Made a bounty hunter too. Right now, I'm on Balmorra for both. I hate Balmorra so much. That's something that kind of pisses me off. Balmorra you're stuck on for like, a day or two worth of play time, yet you're on Nar Shadaa for maybe a few hours before you complete everything....

Legacy system looks great. Too bad I'm not one for wanting to replay storylines. But I love all the features they're adding, and I'm thinking of starting some PvP. I mean, the PvP gear looks beyond smexy.
ɔıƃol ʎʌuǝ ǝsnɐɔǝq
deviantART | Steam Account | Forum Sigs | Otaku Streamers
Message me for access to the Twokinds Unoffical Official Skype Chat!

Insomniac
The Experienced Virgin
Fav. Twokinds Character: Natani

#63 Post by Insomniac »

Necropoooooooooost. I heard tonight from a friend that Old Republic is going free to play this fall. For those of us that're broke like me, this is good news. I can safely say that I'll be making a completely bugfrak evil sith character.
From the Sergals and Sergal Lovers channel of F-List's chat system (Beyond NSFW, by the way): Honey, you ain't the only abnormal sergal in here. We got three pink northerns, a fairy, and a dork with a talking sword.

Envy661
Envy x Banned Forever

#64 Post by Envy661 »

Insomniac wrote:Necropoooooooooost. I heard tonight from a friend that Old Republic is going free to play this fall. For those of us that're broke like me, this is good news. I can safely say that I'll be making a completely bugfrak evil sith character.
At the same time, I think they're giving in way too easily. F2P games are rarely taken as seriously as MMOs, and most of them whore Micro-transactions, so it becomes more expensive than an actual subscription if you want anything.

This all came about because everyone is comparing it to World of Warcraft and complaining about the lack of end-game content. But what few people remember, is that World of Warcraft was the exact same way when it first came out, and to top it off, TOR was rushed at the end.

All this talk about TOR going free to play really leaves a bad taste in my mouth...
ɔıƃol ʎʌuǝ ǝsnɐɔǝq

Insomniac
The Experienced Virgin

#65 Post by Insomniac »

Envy661 wrote:
Insomniac wrote:Necropoooooooooost. I heard tonight from a friend that Old Republic is going free to play this fall. For those of us that're broke like me, this is good news. I can safely say that I'll be making a completely bugfrak evil sith character.
At the same time, I think they're giving in way too easily. F2P games are rarely taken as seriously as MMOs, and most of them whore Micro-transactions, so it becomes more expensive than an actual subscription if you want anything.

This all came about because everyone is comparing it to World of Warcraft and complaining about the lack of end-game content. But what few people remember, is that World of Warcraft was the exact same way when it first came out, and to top it off, TOR was rushed at the end.

All this talk about TOR going free to play really leaves a bad taste in my mouth...
I'll grant that WoW was just like that at first. But y'gotta remember, they didn't have a WoW to compete with. People take Star Trek Online seriously enough in the months since it went FTP, don't they? Besides, it's EA. They really, REALLY can't compete in the MMO market. The sooner they sell Old Republic to someone the way Cryptic and Atari sold STO to PWE, the better. As long as they follow a similar Micro Transaction model to what STO uses, I think they'll do okay, but it MUST be taken out of EA's incompetent paws. I don't want to see the birth and death of TWO Star Wars MMOs before I'm in my 30s.
From the Sergals and Sergal Lovers channel of F-List's chat system (Beyond NSFW, by the way): Honey, you ain't the only abnormal sergal in here. We got three pink northerns, a fairy, and a dork with a talking sword.

Envy661
Envy x Banned Forever

#66 Post by Envy661 »

Insomniac wrote:
Envy661 wrote:

I'll grant that WoW was just like that at first. But y'gotta remember, they didn't have a WoW to compete with. People take Star Trek Online seriously enough in the months since it went FTP, don't they? Besides, it's EA. They really, REALLY can't compete in the MMO market. The sooner they sell Old Republic to someone the way Cryptic and Atari sold STO to PWE, the better. As long as they follow a similar Micro Transaction model to what STO uses, I think they'll do okay, but it MUST be taken out of EA's incompetent paws. I don't want to see the birth and death of TWO Star Wars MMOs before I'm in my 30s.
Actually, SWG never really died. Even after the SoE update everyone hated, there were still many dedicated players. The ONLY reason it was taken down was because of the new MMO and the fact that the population didn't compare to other mainstream MMOs. To be honest, despite how old it was, SWG was overall a better game than TOR, because it was up for a long time, and had a ton more customization and character options.
ɔıƃol ʎʌuǝ ǝsnɐɔǝq

Kaizure
Apprentice

#67 Post by Kaizure »

I'm just going to put in my three cents here. SWTOR doesn't interest me at all anymore, but I know it's still fun to some other people. The issue here is that EA Games is... well, greedy. We all know this and they just wanted to copy World of Warcraft's success by making an incredibly similar game (hence all the people saying they're copying Blizzard). However, what EA failed to realize is that this particular game model has been in effect for the last decade, at least. Much like with any other game out there, people crave something new after ten years. Imagine playing the first Halo game (from the year 2000) and ONLY playing that particular game for ten full years before Halo 2 appeared. Now imagine if Halo 2 was exactly the same thing (slower shield recharge, the same weapons, etc.) and lacked duel wielding, the ability to play as another race, new vehicles to use, etc. The point is... after so many years, people get tired of the same old stuff and they want something new, and if that's not provided to them other than a new look (SWTOR being a futuristic WoW), lesser people will be interested.

Now granted, I do think Bioware did a stunning job with what they were given. I love that they had all the voices created for things as simple as quests and the entire story and even vendors sometimes, but I think now that Bioware has all of those voices created, they should store them for perhaps a remodel of SWTOR. What I mean by that is... if you take another game example like Arena Net's Guild Wars 2, there are people all over the place who are excited about the approach of this game. SWTOR released ahead of time because they wanted to make profit on their game before Guild Wars 2 was released. If you were a director in EA Games (heaven forbid) and you knew Guild Wars 2 was going to be strong competition because of their "No Subscription Fee" policy, you'd want to get your game out asap so you could make a profit. SWTOR had been in development for 5+ years, I believe, so naturally they'd want to make some money off of it. This is why upon release, a lot of things (such as the Legacy system) still were not implemented. It was rushed and so they caught up on their late game additions post-launch. However, at this point I think Bioware should consider confronting EA Games and perhaps suggesting the idea of remodeling SWTOR to be like Guild Wars 2. I'm not trying to sound biased or anything, I'm just saying that GW2 offers new features all over the place that have gone unseen by the rest of the MMO industry and it's what people want. Mind you it's not what everyone wants, but I definitely think that since Bioware already has all of those voices prerecorded, it will be much easier to set up a remodeled game with what they had in mind while also adopting the game setup that Guild Wars 2 uses.

SWTOR is a game that profits off of the die-hard Star Wars fans. I would have loved to play SWTOR if it was any different than most other MMOs out there... but it's not. I still found myself grinding to get to higher levels, I found myself being forced to participate in PVP upon the story completion... but what bothered me the most is that I would make these huge decisions in the world based on my story, but it wouldn't effect the world at all afterward. IE: If I decided to blow up a planet, nobody else would know about it. Nobody's personal story mattered because it never changed anything. So I firmly believe Bioware should at least consider giving SWTOR a makeover to give their game another chance. Going F2P so early is a bad sign.
ImageImage
Choose Your Path

PLEASE DON'T PRIVATE MESSAGE ME UNLESS IT'S SOMETHING THAT REQUIRES MY IMMEDIATE ATTENTION

Insomniac
The Experienced Virgin

#68 Post by Insomniac »

So, the moment I've been waiting for for a couple months now has come. TOR went free to play yesterday...and I'm not gonna be joining in. With all the restrictions, it's worse than any other free to play game on the entire internet that I know of. Between this and ME3's ending, I seriously think EA is trying to Ultima 9 Bioware.

SirSlaughter
Templar Inner Circle

#69 Post by SirSlaughter »

Insomniac wrote:So, the moment I've been waiting for for a couple months now has come. TOR went free to play yesterday...and I'm not gonna be joining in. With all the restrictions, it's worse than any other free to play game on the entire internet that I know of. Between this and ME3's ending, I seriously think EA is trying to Ultima 9 Bioware.
and then we god Dragon age 3 without the lead guys from bioware anymore. Oh yeah. EA...Yup...

Envy661
Envy x Banned Forever

#70 Post by Envy661 »

Gonna put my Two cents here that I posted on my old guild forum:
Okay, here is where we stand with the Free2Play model, and content the game has.

If you haven't played in a few months, there's a little bit more to do. You can now get an HK-51 Droid Companion in a new Level 50 Questing zone. From what I hear, there are a few new Daily zones, flashpoints, warzones, etc. But not a whole lot. The Cartel Market isn't really adding anything new. All that's in it is stuff you may want if you're not planning to resub, like extra quickbar slots, access to your titles, etc. Which aren't available if you're playing free without purchase. There's also a few new sets of gear for all levels. Nothing really fancy. There's a hovering Chair mount that I really want. But in the end, everything available through the Cartel Market is usually available in the Galactic Trade Market, because objects bought from the Cartel Trade can be unbound after a duration if not used, and sold on the galactic market.

There's stuff for legacy, like XP gains, companion affection buffs, crafting buffs, fast-travel buffs - both between worlds and between planet points. There's also now the ability to have a mailbox, Trade Kiosk, and a bunch of other little goodies, available on your ship, which is really convinient.

Other than that, no new ships. No new actual gear. No new skills.

... Though I did hear a rumor they're working on an expansion.... >.>

Insomniac wrote:With all the restrictions, it's worse than any other free to play game on the entire internet that I know of.
Try playing Everquest II
ɔıƃol ʎʌuǝ ǝsnɐɔǝq

Envy661
Envy x Banned Forever

#71 Post by Envy661 »

JasonRain wrote:the gameplay is going to be no where near that good.
?

User has recieved a warning for this post. ~Yash
ɔıƃol ʎʌuǝ ǝsnɐɔǝq

Insomniac
The Experienced Virgin

#72 Post by Insomniac »

Necropost, but I felt it needed saying. Forgot my password to Star Wars: The Old Republic after over three weeks of not playing it. Over 27 hours later, I'm wondering just how the soulless devilspawn at EA define the word SHORTLY.

Envy661
Envy x Banned Forever

#73 Post by Envy661 »

Insomniac wrote:Necropost, but I felt it needed saying. Forgot my password to Star Wars: The Old Republic after over three weeks of not playing it. Over 27 hours later, I'm wondering just how the soulless devilspawn at EA define the word SHORTLY.
If it makes you feel any better, I gave up on the game altogether. It was originally a great concept, but they killed the game before it even came out.
ɔıƃol ʎʌuǝ ǝsnɐɔǝq

Insomniac
The Experienced Virgin

#74 Post by Insomniac »

I'm hoping Extortion Arts will eventually go the Atari route and have to sell the game to PWI like Atari did with STO. THAT game has only gotten BETTER since PWI and the free to play conversion.

[edit]Figured out my password. No thanks to EA. Went to the site and clicked Sign Up to remind myself of what passwords had to include, and that in turn helped me remember what my password is. Frakking EA.

The Rookie
Grand Templar

#75 Post by The Rookie »

Tad of a necro, but anyone who played the Old Republic might be interested.

So they've announced a new expansion for the game call 'Knights of the Fallen Empire' which adds a third faction to the game.
[video]https://youtu.be/Nzq9epS2b1A[/video]

Is this enough to bring you back in or is it too little too late ?

Either way these cinematics are beautiful :roll:
Nothing ventured, nothing gained.