The Bleak Streets of Twokinds: A Twokinds Forum Noir Story

Post all your stories, poems, and haiku's here!

Moderator: Moderators

ButterBall
Grand Templar

Re: The Bleak Streets of Twokinds: A Twokinds Forum Noir Story

#61 Post by ButterBall »

I don't think Av's been here for the past couple months. Plus, I think recent events may have made some of the story null. *Cough*Kel*Cough*
*Used to be a guy people knew at one time.*
Avatar by druanderson. Some things are very NSFW.

Verilidaine
Templar Inner Circle

#62 Post by Verilidaine »

Relax, he'll get the update out when he gets it out. He's just writing it for fun, he doesn't need to tell everyone what the progress is all the time. Really, for fanfiction (of sorts), this isn't a long delay at all. :?

Silver Seren
Templar Inner Circle

#63 Post by Silver Seren »

I'm more worried about where he's gone. Av, where are you?! :(

FastChapter
The Inkwell Coyote

#64 Post by FastChapter »

:P He'll update when he updates, it's not as if he committed to a set schedule. Patience, yes?

avwolf
Templar Inner Circle

#65 Post by avwolf »

Sorry for my absence, everybody. Life ambushed me and things got busy. Just when they calmed down, I had to go on a business trip which enforced a week's abscence so I lost all my progress in catching back up. I'm still trying to get back on my feet on everything as far as the forum's concerned, but I couldn't leave you all without the Bleak Streets for too long. ;)

------------------------------------------

Momma Wynni's is a good place to lie low for a while. It's a little diner with a few beds in the back for anybody who needs 'em. An uncharitable person might call it a cross between a flophouse and a greasy spoon, but I, and about half the rest of the town, would then proceed to give that person a slug in the gob. Wynni's got an eye out for all of us, and is probably the only soul in the forum who's doin' it out of the goodness of her heart.

Wynni's specialty is Southern foods, back home style. Too much of it'd probably kill you, but it wouldn't be a bad way to go. I've got a special place in my heart for those batter baked porkchops of hers. You spend all night out on the street, walking the same topics, keeping an eye out for trouble, and there's little more welcome than a good conversation and a hot meal. There's been more than one week where I'm at Momma Wynni's more than I'm at the hole in the wall I grudgingly call a home.

It's late by the time the Luigiian and I make it to Momma Wynni's. The sky's opened up with a bone-chilling drizzle, like the city itself was out to make the streets more treacherous. Nothing like the feeling that the world itself has joined in the conspiracy to put you on ice. Momma Wynni's place is a welcome respite from the bitter night. I shake my hat off on the threshold and lead Lupe through the door. The bells hanging on the inside jingle with our arrival, sounding more cheerful than they had any right to be in this weather; like a retinue of clowns in a slaughterhouse. I cast an eye around the room, looking for friendly faces. Well, one face in particular. It must be later than I thought it was. Even most of the regulars have cleared out. Fortunately, I'm searching for the proprietor, and she's still awake; Wynni's scrubbing the counter down, getting ready to close the kitchen for the night.

"Avvie!" she exclaims, looking up from her work. "It's good to see you 'round these parts."

"Hey, Wynni," I say, smiling. I'm too old to call her 'Momma' to her face. "I'm always glad to stop by."

"You darlin's look chilled to the bone! Pull up a seat and let Momma get you something to warm you up." Wynni beckons us to the counter. The tiger gal wipes her hands on her apron and turns to busy herself with some cups. "Who's your friend, Avvie?"

"I'd like to introduce Lupe the Luigiian," I say, taking a seat on a stool at the counter and resting my elbows comfortably on the countertop. I let my eyes wander around the diner again. Lupe removes his hat in polite respect and sits next to me. There's a flicker of movement at the stairs in the back, leading up to Wynni's apartment. One of her little ones has sneaked out of bed. I give the youngster a broad wink. The light's just bright enough for me to pick out the glimmer of fangs as the little tiger grins at me. He scampers back into the darkness up the stairs before his mother notices that he's not sawing logs like he's supposed to be.

"It's a pleasure to meet 'ya, darlin'," Wynni says to Lupe with a friendly grin as she sets a cup of hot joe in front of me, black as the night itself.

"Thanks, Wynni," I murmur. Lupe returns her smile.

"The pleasure is mine, uh..."

"Call me Momma Wynni. What d'ya take in your coffee?" Wynni sets a cup in front of Lupe, holding the carafe expectantly. I pick up my coffee cup and blow across it. I let my lids slip shut as I inhale the rich aroma. Ah.... The coffee's more than welcome. It's going to be a long night.

"Oh, uh, a little sugar and cream. A lot of cream." I can hear Wynni chuckle after Lupe's response.

"That's somethin' we've got in common, darlin'. I don't know how Avvie can stand the bitter stuff straight." I smile and let my eyes crack back open.

"Life's easier to swallow once you learn to appreciate the bitterness." Wynni laughs, a comforting sound. It's the kind of laugh that promises that everything will be better in the morning, that you don't have anything to worry about, that whatever scares you is nothing but a nightmare, fleeting in the dawn's light. Sadly, it's Wynni's laughter that's fleeting.

"So what brings you two bedraggled wolves to Momma's doorstep anyway?" she asks, "Ain't much in this town willing to take you on, Avvie." I take a long sip of my coffee. It's just barely cool enough to drink without searing the flesh from my mouth.

"Lupe's run into a spot of trouble, Wynni," I reply. "I was hoping we could impose on your good graces to put him up for a couple days, until I can investigate or the thing blows over."

"None o' my hooligans were involved were they?" Wynni's concern is obvious. She's as protective of her forum family as I am. "I'd hate to have to take the Spoon to 'em." I shake my head.

"I don't know, Wynni. I don't think so, but I don't know yet. If any of our crew's on the wrong side, you can be sure I'll set 'em straight or send 'em straight to you. You've got my word."

"Thanks, Avvie. I'll get a bed fixed up." She casts another smile at Lupe. "Don't worry, Lupe, darlin', you'll be safe here." As soon as Wynni's out of sight, Lupe leans over to me.

"The spoon?" He whispers. I can't tell if his voice is tinged with fear, confusion, or simple disbelief. My muzzle quirks into a wry smile. I swallow another mouthful of coffee and incline my head toward the double-barrel hanging on the wall near the stove, looking for all the world like it belongs there, stored neatly beside the cooking utensils. The word "Spoon" writhed gracefully across the shotgun's oaken butt in a feathery filigreed script.

"Troublemakers have a habit of settlin' right down when Wynni takes the Spoon to 'em." I grin at Lupe, letting him see my full complement of sharp teeth. Wynni packs her own shells: rock-salt and pepper spray powder. You catch even a little bit of that, and you tend to have serious second thoughts before you do anything that might earn you more.

"I'll bet," Lupe mutters. I finish off my coffee as Wynni comes back in the diner proper and stand.

"I hate to run out like this, Wynni," I say, tossing a couple bucks on the counter to cover the coffee and then some, "But I've gotta drift if I'm going to catch whoever's got it out for the Luigiian."

"Alright, Avvie," Wynni says, nodding, "I've got a place for him here. You just keep safe, darlin', ya' hear? I don't know what we'd do if something happened to you."

"I'll be careful. Don't you worry none." I slip my hat back on my dome and push the door open. I stride out into the chilly embrace of the drizzling night, a familiar lover that's just no good for me.

Silver Seren
Templar Inner Circle

#66 Post by Silver Seren »

avwolf wrote:Well, once face in particular.
Only correction that I saw. Clearly, it should be "one".

It's so weird how you can make it your personalities and then...not. But I definitely get the feel of it and everything flows really smooth.

I like your take on the "Spoon". That's pretty funny and i'm sure Wynni will agree when she sees it. :P

I'm glad that nothing dire happened to you, Av. I must admit, I had a few moments of worry. It always seems like stuff happens to the people I know online. :?
But i'm happy that it's just work. I hope everything evens out for you soon enough. :D

avwolf
Templar Inner Circle

#67 Post by avwolf »

Thanks, Seren. And thanks for the correction, it's been made. When you know how it's supposed to read, that stuff is frustratingly easy to slip in there. :| Thanks again. I'm glad you've been enjoying it, and I do hope Wynni enjoys this twist on her spoon.

Sorry to worry you. I'm fine, just trying to keep all my balls in the air; it gets a little awkward sometimes.

Silver Seren
Templar Inner Circle

#68 Post by Silver Seren »

o_o;; Sorry if I sounded a bit condescending with my "Clearly". I just realized it could be misconstrued as such.

I've added extra letters a heck of enough times and it bugs me every time I catch it. :P

._. I don't know what that saying means, but i'm worried about what Fast, Spike, or Kinuki are going to do with it when they find it.

Verilidaine
Templar Inner Circle

#69 Post by Verilidaine »

Hey, what about what I could do with it? :-P

(It means trying to juggle a lot of things at once, keep all the balls in the air and off the ground.) And I know you phrased it like that on purpose, av. You're just inviting it, now. :roll:

As for the story:

....It's aliiiiiiiiiiiiiiive! Sweet. ^^ Don't apologize about a delay, it's not like you're getting anything in return for all of this except our praise (I wrote "brains" first time through on that... :shock: ) and adoration, you know?

And, as always, I can't wait to see the next installment.

avwolf
Templar Inner Circle

#70 Post by avwolf »

Silver Seren wrote:o_o;; Sorry if I sounded a bit condescending with my "Clearly". I just realized it could be misconstrued as such.
Nah, no need to apologize, I appreciate you catching my errors. I don't have anybody that I've been running this past to proofread for me, so you guys are my first line. I'm glad you're all up to the task. :)
Verilidaine wrote:....It's aliiiiiiiiiiiiiiive! Sweet. ^^ Don't apologize about a delay, it's not like you're getting anything in return for all of this except our praise (I wrote "brains" first time through on that... ) and adoration, you know? .
Well, I do pretty much live for the praise and adoration. ;) This won't be the last mention of coffee either, don't worry. I've got the coffee shop scene all planned out...

Verilidaine
Templar Inner Circle

#71 Post by Verilidaine »

!!!!

*jumps up and down* Do I get to be in a coffee scene? *hopeful look* :D
...um, a weird kinky coffee scene with Sable? :grin:

Wait, that came out wrong... :roll:

avwolf
Templar Inner Circle

#72 Post by avwolf »

Verilidaine wrote:!!!!

Actually, yes. Well...It's not that kinky. I mean, when you consider the part of the trade Sable controls, it'll probably not be kinky at all. :P There might be some kinkiness involved if you don't look at it from that perspective, though. Now I'm just tying myself into knots...

Sithil
Templar Inner Circle

#73 Post by Sithil »

A wonderful work done once again, avwolf. I can not get enough of your comparisons and descriptions. They're brilliant! Especially this line here:
The bells hanging on the inside jingle with our arrival, sounding more cheerful than they had any right to be in this weather; like a retinue of clowns in a slaughterhouse.
Definately my favorite. And you just keep this up at your own pace.
All my life I've seen a world that hates evil more than it loves good ~Johann von Staupitz(Luther, 2003)

Silver Seren
Templar Inner Circle

#74 Post by Silver Seren »

avwolf wrote:There might be some kinkiness involved if you don't look at it from that perspective, though.
...I feel like I should be worried...even though it has nothing to do with me.

Oh, and because I forgot to...psst, Twokinds Codex.

Sable Dove
Pocket Androgyne

#75 Post by Sable Dove »

avwolf wrote:
Verilidaine wrote:!!!!

Actually, yes. Well...It's not that kinky. I mean, when you consider the part of the trade Sable controls, it'll probably not be kinky at all. :P There might be some kinkiness involved if you don't look at it from that perspective, though. Now I'm just tying myself into knots...
My curiosity is piqued. Now I'll be wondering what you mean all week.

Also, great scene just now, it's really fitting. :3
And so it was that Godhead Pickle Inspector created the universe. He regarded His creation with fondness and saw that it was good.
http://www.furaffinity.net/user/ivory-raven/
http://www.tumblr.com/blog/sable-sonata