The Bleak Streets of Twokinds: A Twokinds Forum Noir Story

Post all your stories, poems, and haiku's here!

Moderator: Moderators

Schrodinger
Worth 1000 Words

Re: The Bleak Streets of Twokinds: A Twokinds Forum Noir Sto

#586 Post by Schrodinger »

Craaaaaaap. I was way too tired when I wrote all this. I'll fix them as I find them.
What was it the spider said to the fly...

TheSmogMonster

#587 Post by TheSmogMonster »

Besides the few mistakes pointed out above, about the only problem I can see is that it obviously is meant for the target audience of longtime forum goers, meaning people like myself need the background information given to us. Thankfully you do include that in the story so that fixes itself pretty fast.
--SIGGITY--

Schrodinger
Worth 1000 Words

#588 Post by Schrodinger »

I actually had this plotted out like it was the last part of a longer story like tuning in to the final act of The Long Goodbye. Just enough information to understand what's happening. The real events that inspired this are rather dull and my part is embellished quite substantially. A more accurate representation of events would be Taina shot herself when she was fumbling for the gun and limped off never to resurface. Shotgun to the face is a more memorable and dare I say impactful bit of symbolism.

avwolf
Templar Inner Circle

#589 Post by avwolf »

Excellent piece, Schro! I'm glad to see it finally make its way here. :D I'm sorry I'd drifted away from the Forum there and couldn't help you catch those typos. :oops:

Anyway, as I promised (granted, a little late). Apologies to Nuff for the butchering of his accent.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

The sound on the dance floor has changed character dramatically. Nuff's set must be up. Casting my eyes over toward the DJ booth, I see the lynx standing outside, chatting with a pretty young margay; one of his regular collaborators and partner-in-crime. Or partner-in-dubstep anyhow. She's also been a contributor here in Art Board on her own.

I turn back to the bar and slip onto a stool. The bartender comes over and gives me a smile. In the dim blacklight of Art Board, her ebony fur would make her a shadow, if it weren't for the bright yellow highlights screaming their fluorescent glow. "Find what you were after?" she asks, the crackle and pop of static electricity accenting her words.

"And then some," I sigh and shake my head. "Irish; proper sour." She nods, and starts mixing the drink. I set my hat on the bar, stroking my forehead. This case (or is it cases?) is really turning into a headache. In every meaning of the word.

"Rena, you seen a newbie tiger come through here? Tall, thin, narrow-cut suit?" The bartender hesitates, the ice in the shaker clinking to a stop in the middle of its rattle.

"Yeah, I think so," she says, resuming the rhythm for my drink. "Vodka Red Bull, light on the vodka, heavy on the Red Bull." I make a face. The only thing I've been willing to sweeten with energy drinks is Jagermeister. RenaDyne laughs. "Not what I'd personally go for either, Avvy. No accounting for taste though." She pours my whiskey sour into a tumbler and slides it over to me with a characteristic flourish -- a snap of her fingers which erupts into a loud crack of a spark. The momentary flash leaves tracers in my vision. Rena always did like pointing out that the "Caution! High Voltage!" on her shirt wasn't just for show. She's a thunder kitsune, sort of what the Japanese imagined would be the cross of a fairy and a stun gun. I take a long sip from my drink. It's almost as refreshing as a stiff cup of coffee in the morning; sour enough to pucker your lips while its fire burned its way to your stomach. Rena continues her thoughts about Tac Gnol: "He doesn't drink much; just enough to be polite. Comes in and out the gallery a lot, though. I'd be surprised if he hasn't been through the whole thing by now. And I don't think English is his first language. Maybe not even his second."

"Thanks." I nod in appreciation and slide a few of my new-found bills over toward her side of the bar. She takes them with a smile.

"What's got you interested in a fresh newbie anyway? Some investigation?"

"Right now, just curious." I shrug. "Could be nothing. Could be something. I don't know yet. But he caught my eye so I thought I'd ask somebody who knows things." Rena loves to collect secrets. I'd rather not give them up for virtually free. As I tuck my wallet back into my jacket pocket, I notice that someone has slipped a couple Polaroids by my elbow. Three guesses as to who, and the first two don't count.

The first picture features a swarthy Italian stereotype in a red hat and overalls, hefting a huge, green tortoise shell above his head. In the background, a grotesque orange-yellow creature in white boxer shorts shakes its fist at the man. Schrodinger's familiar, careful writing captions the image with "Got Your Back." The second photograph is uncaptioned, but it makes the first's caption much more obvious. The foreground is taken up by a large furless sprawled on the floor, a black .45 laying beside him, the garrote still twisted tight around his neck. In the background I could see myself, my hand wrapped around the barrel of a hyena lady's handgun. [censored], I really look like hell. I'd look around for Schrodinger, but I already know that the photos are as much of a smile as I'm going to see of that Cheshire cat. If Schrodinger wanted to be seen, I'd have already seen him.

"Hoy, Avvy! Care t'spread the wealth 'round?" Nuff and his Suffolk accent sidle up next to me at the bar. I don't really have the dosh to spare, and Nuff's probably better set than I am, with his popular musical projects, but the money's nothing compared to keeping my friends happy and on my side. A man can live without much scratch if he's got buddies. A friendless man dies on his first wrong step in this town, especially if his pockets are obviously flush.

"Hell, why not?" I stuff Schrodinger's pictures in my pocket and gesture at Rena, encompassing Nuff, "Rena, can you get Nuff whatever stupendously expensive imported lager he's drinking these days?" Both of them have the decency to laugh. Rena pours Nuff a pint of a beer that is far too light yellow for my tastes, but he sips at it with a relish as we shoot the breeze for a few minutes. Then Nuff decides to drop a bombshell on me:

"Oy," he says, shaking his head, "Guess Sable's deal wit' Tal must not'a been for protection."

"Sable had a deal with Tal?" Talaisan... He's a heavy hitter; rare to see except when he has some business to take care of. Tal doesn't deal in cash or fur pics like most of us. Everything with Tal is an exchange of favors. The most I'd ever gotten out of him was that he was saving them up for a rainy day, when his past would catch up with him. I'd seen the plushie dragon twist a man's head clean off, so I have to admit, I'm not at all excited to meet a past that he feels he needs a lot of favors to help deal with.

"Yah. Di'n't hear what it was all about, 'course. But 'ey were talkin' long enough. Saw Sable 'and over 'ir token. Must've been a hell of a favor, but nothin' to do with protection, or shi wouldn't 'ave gotten a slug in th' neck."

"Huh." I finish my cocktail and set the glass down thoughtfully. What kind of business would Sable have had with Talaisan? Could it relate to why someone might want to take Sable out? "Thanks, Nuff, I'm going to have to have a chat with Tal; maybe he'll have a lead on the whole situation with Sable."

"Anytime, mate. Can't 'ave folks takin' shots at us veterans, no matte' who got 'e lead injection."

I tip Rena another couple bucks and leave Nuff with enough to cover his next pint; at this rate I'm probably going to have to pick between cab fare and smokes, but maybe my luck's changing. I could win the lottery, or get a break in the case. Or maybe the next guy who tries to take me out will be carrying a roll of hundreds.

I make my way back out of Drawing Board and hit the cold streets again. Tal can be tough to nail down, but if he's any where, I'll find him at Club Fur. Not just any body can get in, or even knows where to find the place, but fortunately for me, I'm a member. Once Windwaker realizes I left him behind, he'll probably end up checking there for me; it's the only place in town I spend as much time in as the comic club.

My phone starts shrieking for attention. Of course: once I have a lead, something else has to make demands. Maybe it's V; I can fill her in on what I know and see if she has any idea what Sable might have done as a deal with Tal. No such luck: the caller id looks like a computer sneezed while introducing itself.

"Wise? What's up?"

"Avwolf!" Y7h65 sounds out of breath. "Avwolf, you've got to come to Role Park right away. There's...I don't want to say too much on the phone, but you really need to see this. There's...There's a body. I don't think they're playing dead either."

"All right, Wise. I'll be right there, don't worry. Thanks for the report." I hang up the phone. Duty calls; pun unintended. Role Park is on my beat any way, and they usually take care of themselves, so if Y7h65 is calling in the mods, it's gotta be bad. Guess Club Fur and Tal will have to wait. And it looks like cab fare just beat out cigarettes on my priority list.

Him
The Secret Forum Mod
Fav. Twokinds Character: Natani

#590 Post by Him »

Oh, I did not expect this. You even squeezed in a few more people. I'm having problems predicting the possible storylines because of the random cameos. Which isn't a bad thing. The unpredictability is actually entertaining.

Schrodinger
Worth 1000 Words

#591 Post by Schrodinger »

Oh I wonder who's body that could be. Nice touch by the way with the Mario reference. All is forgiven, your absence wasn't in your control.

Myperson54
The Imagineer

#592 Post by Myperson54 »

Man, this is a really good interpretation of the board. I'm going to have to read from the beginning, although I doubt I'll recognize people early on.

I am become salt, destroyer of memes

Join the Unofficial 2k Discord Channel!

Geo_&_Bio
Grand Templar

#593 Post by Geo_&_Bio »

Ahhhh yiss, a good update after a break and its on the RP forums, I simply can't wait. (probably because I pretty much haunt that forum.)

I hope you are felling better, Av.
The ending of the words is ALMSIVI.

DariusL
Panthera tigris altaica
Fav. Twokinds Character: Kat

#594 Post by DariusL »

Great stuff as always Av :)

y7h65
The Unpronounceable

#595 Post by y7h65 »

Oh hey, I spot a cameo. Seriously though, I hope you're feeling better now Av.
Local Type Moon Fanatic.

foxlord
Elder foxy

#596 Post by foxlord »

Welcome back old friend. Good to see you back, and another good bit of reading shadows your return as well! Always a welcome sight~
The elder has spoken! Ex-Brony Slayer.

Take two old white men, fuse them together, and they become a black ginger with an obsession for power. - Invidian

avwolf
Templar Inner Circle

#597 Post by avwolf »

Thank you all for your kind words and your continued reading. It's good to be back, even though I don't feel like I'm all the way back in action quite yet. (So much to catch up on!)
y7h65 wrote:Seriously though, I hope you're feeling better now Av.
Recovery's still a process, but I'm improving a little every day. At least I'm well enough to be back to work, which helps relieve the "I'm so useless" depression.

Nuff
The One With the Ears

#598 Post by Nuff »

ma bootaful language!

Twippit
Grand Templar
Location: At a table top in a remote part of WA playing a high-stakes game of strip DnD

Re: The Bleak Streets of Twokinds: A Twokinds Forum Noir Story

#599 Post by Twippit »

Ohboyohboyohboyohboy

I'm so excited for the Role Park omg

Thanks for doin' this, Av. I'm so glad I (finally) caught myself up after having been gone for so long. This is great stuff, as usual. Gah, I love this concept so muuuuch
Hey. Been a while. I'm on discord at Twippit#9645. See ya around sometime, maybe.

JediGuy
Zombicidal Maniac

Re: The Bleak Streets of Twokinds: A Twokinds Forum Noir Story

#600 Post by JediGuy »

1) Well bend me over and stick a rake up me, it's been since February since I checked this thing?

2) Curse you Twippit for making me think there was (another) update.
Magic is merely science that we have yet to understand.