Twisted Reality - Important Notice - 10/26/11

Post all your stories, poems, and haiku's here!

Moderator: Moderators

JediGuy
Zombicidal Maniac

Twisted Reality - Important Notice - 10/26/11

#1 Post by JediGuy »

Alrighty then. I've been a fan-fic writer for quite some time now....World of Warcraft, Star Wars, a game called Planetside....well, lets just say I'm a fanboy with too much writing time on his hands! I've been thinking about a fan fic to write about TwoKinds for quite some time now. Originally, I had wanted Twisted Reality to be a web-comic, but certain copyrite laws and the fact that I'm not the worlds best artist kinda....yeah.

So, here we are. Twisted Reality takes place within the TwoKinds universe, but much, MUCH after the events that are currently taking place in TwoKinds. I'm talking like, centuries. It's supposed to be in our era technology-wise, if not a little ahead. So yes, they have guns, they have vehichles, and those nifty little things called iPods. Humans and Keidran still don't like each other, and, after decades of fighting, very little has developed in the way of Keidran rights. The Basitin have mostly remained on their island, only venturing into Keidran or Human territory when they absolutely have to. There is only one known Basitin city that is off of the island, a small port by the name of Ne'koit. The Human and Keidran have been fighting on and off for the past few decades. Fast forward a few years, and things have taken a turn for the worse, resulting in an all-out war between the Humans and the United Keidran Tribes (UKT). This long, bloody war culminated with a nuclear exchange between the two nations, decimating both countries as well as most of the planet.

Twisted Reality takes places approximately 5 months after "The Exchange," in a post-apocolyptic nightmare of a world. Various bands of survivors, both Human and Keidran, have formed small outposts throughout the wastes. The racial tension still exists, but they've more or less figured out that cooperation means servival. These various small outposts are more or less isolated, infrequently communicating with each other and rarely (if at all) getting word from their governments, which have all but dissolved, residing in a few choice cities and towns and leaving the rest to fend for themselves. In order to become self-sufficient, the outposts have tried a variety of methods. However, as of late, food has been growing scarce, and many have resorted to raiding the surrounding countryside. This is where our story begins. Below is the prologue to Twisted Reality. A small scavanging party has been detoured from it's original hunting path, due to rumors of an abandoned factory which had once contained seeds to be distributed to nearby farmlands. I hope you guys enjoy reading this as much as I enjoyed thinking/writing it!
Magic is merely science that we have yet to understand.

JediGuy
Zombicidal Maniac

Re: Twisted Reality (A TwoKinds Fan-Fic)

#2 Post by JediGuy »

Twisted Reality is rated Mature for violence, gore, profanity, racial slurs, and adult situations. The Author doesn't intend to offend anyone by writing this, and reader discression is advised. Lastly, all use of Keidran language is purely fictional, and should only be considered cannon in the context of this story.

--------------------------------------

Prologue

---------------------------------------

A small, sudden beeping made Yamin jump for a moment, her heart fluttering before she realized it was just the 'incoming call' signal on her walkie-talkie. She reached down to her hip for the small, wire-frame headset and unhooked it from its perch, sliding the receiver piece into her elongated, highly-sensitive, wolf-like ear. Casey, one of her teammates, managed a rare snicker, shaking his head tiredly as he took a seat on a piece of rotted wood, probably some form of fencing that had once kept trespassers away. "Korin was right, you really are jumpy when you're out here."

Yamin gave a small 'tsk,' shaking her head as she adjusted the tightness on the headset. "Oh, bite me," she said, swatting him playfully across the face with her tail. He made a few sputtering sounds, a loose hair on his shirt, and the wolf smiled at the small victory. She thumbed the 'on' button, adjusting the microphone so that it hovered an inch away from her mouth. "Yaz here, go ahead."

The receiver gave a burst of static for a moment, white noise scratching at the wolf's ear drums before a voice broke through the haze. "Yaz, it's Kosh." His voice was muffled and scratched by the static, but he spoke loud enough to bludgeon his way through the audio barrier. "I lost eyesight of Mikey and Jacen when they rounded into the east silo field, and that was about ten minutes ago. I can't raise 'em on the talkie, either."

'Just great,' Yamin thought, sighing. "You sure they didn't just slip out the far side?" She pressed the recieved a little farther into her ear, holding her hand against it as she looked up to the crest of the tallest of the western grain silos. She could somewhat make out Kosh's form, the Keidran sharpshooter scanning the far end of the deserted grain processing center through his scope.

"If they did, it wouldn't explain why they're not answering their earpiece." She could've sworn the he cussed into the mouthpiece, but he'd never admit to it; it could've just as easily been the static making her hear things.

"I don't know, maybe all the metal bounces the signal around. Hell, ours is bad enough, and we're in eyesight."

"Could be a bit of electrical interference, there's a storm on the way." Even as he said that, the air shook with the distant, gentle rumble of thunder. Yamin and Casey both looked onto the far horizon, grey storm clouds hanging ominously. Rain was rare these days, but when it did come, it always came with a fury. The Kaidran shook her head slightly as thunder rumbled again, a faint flash sparking inside of a cloud. There was almost as much lightning as there was water during the storms, and it was a very bad idea to be caught out-of-doors, not to mention the fact that they were surrounded by tall, metallic objects. "We should find them and call for pickup. You know how I hate getting my fur wet."

"Duly noted. Go ahead and put the call in, Casey and I will go find the love birds." She said the last part with a chuckle, playing along with a common joke amongst the three of them that Jacen and Mikey spent so much time together that they just had to be gay. Something was mumbled into the headset, and she pressed against the earpiece. "Say again, Kosh? You're breaking up."

"I said I'll get on it. Kresh ni-vor."

Yamin felt her face flush a little and couldn't help but let a small smile form on her face. He switched to Keidrani out of habbit, because the phrase that he spoke didn't have an equivalent in the human language. In essence, it meant 'all my heart,' a reasonable analogue to 'I love you.' She glanced at Casey, who was picking at something on his boot, and was greatful that he didn't know Keidrani. "Kresh ital mai," she said, completing the traditional phrase as she cut the connection. The full phrase, 'Kresh ni-vor al ital mai,' was spoken only to those who held true feeling for each other in the Keidran language, roughly translated as meaning 'I give all of my heart and soul.' She gazed up at the wolf as he gathered his equipment and started making his way down from his perch. They had been seeing each other for a few months -- a long time in any Keidran's life -- and she wondered if he was going to take the next step. Shaking her head clear, she put the headset back onto her hip, strapping it down. ’Now's not the time...,' she thought to herself, sighing and tapping Casey with her foot. "Well," Yamin said, C'mon. We've got to go find 'em."

Casey rolled his eyes and stood up, shaking the dust from his pants. "Isn't this, like, the third time they've wandered off like this on a trip?" the short, red-haired youth of twenty-something asked. He leaned down and grabbed the small medical satchel that he carried with him, filled with various field-trauma supplies. They wouldn't fix things permanently, just long enough to either move the unfortunate victim back to a field hospital or to make them comfortable until time ran its course, but sometimes it was the iconography that reassured people. "I mean, you'd think they'd have enough common sense to stay somewhere where we could at least radio them."

He had a point, Yamin knew, and she had expected better from Jacen, her hand-picked second-in-command on these outings for supplies. With a small shrug, she gave him a little, helpless frown. "I'll make sure I set them straight when we get back to camp, alright? Let's just find them and get out of here, my feet are killing me." She and Casey began walking down the ground-up dirt road that made up the main artery through the storage area, one that was apparently well traveled judging from the still-visible tire tracks of heavy hauling equipment. Hefting her shotgun, a dusty, dinged-up SPAS 12-gague, Yaz looked down into her chest pocket and counted how many shells she had left. Not a lot, but enough for now. Glancing behind her, she saw Casey following her while looking up at the sky, absent-mindedly fiddling with his pistol's holster. She looked up as well, wondering if there was anything in particular that he was spotting. The sky was a twisted, warped dome of dull reds, bright oranges, and sickly greens, due in part from all of the radiation in the upper atmosphere. Sighing, Yamin kept walking, thinking of that not-so-long-ago time when one could look up and see blue and white.

"Jacen! Mikey! Where are you guys!?" Yaz continued to yell out as they neared and eventually entered the large silo field, scanning her eyes across the dulled surfaces for any sign of movement or sound. All she got back was her own voice, dulled and echoed amongst the silos themselves or the vast distance of the wastelands outside of the storage area. She shook her head, swearing aloud. "When I get my hands on those two..." she said with a low, dangerous voice, and left the sentence unfinished. She vaguely became aware of the fact that the ground around them was damp, the dirt quickly becoming solid rather than wispy."Chemical leak?" she asked aloud, looking down and not being able to tell what exactly it was that was covering the ground. She turned back to look at Casey, taking a few more steps before she began feeling a puddle with her feet. She looked down, confused for a moment, before looking a few feet farther. She let out a small scream, clasping her hands over her muzzle in startled shock, as she saw Mikey and Jacen, their bodies torn apart and lying on the ground.

"Holy [censored]," Casey said, ducking around Yamin and quickly running over to the corpses, flinging his medical satchel onto the ground without a care that it could be soaked in the small blood puddle. He knew he wouldn't find a pulse, but still pressed his index and middle finger into the crux of their jaws. Casey leaned in closer to inspect the wounds. A cut here, a scratch there -- ones that were rough and jagged, not smooth like a knife. Shaking his head with a sigh, he looked up at Yamin. "Afterdead got 'em. They might still be close." Yamin just stood there, shaking her head with her eyes closed. She gently bit her knuckle, a heavy, almost explosive sigh that could've been a sob slipping between her teeth. Silently, Casey reached over to close Jacen's eyes, only to freeze when he noticed something wasn't right. The eyes were staring back at him.

"Oh, hell."

Jacen lurched up and grabbed the man's arm, blood still slowly oozing from a wound in his own neck. Yaz screamed, stumbling as she tried to take a step backward when her heel hit a piece of piping. With his free hand, Casey tried to pull his pistol out of its holster, but Jacen's maw opened and the man's teeth sunk into Casey's forearm before he could. Yelling in agony, Casey pulled away, leaving a mound of flesh and muscle in Jacen's mouth. Mikey, sickly pale and bloodied, reached across his fallen comrade and grabbed Casey's boot, pulling him down into a messy, bloody dog-pile.

"Casey!" Yamin screamed, scrambling on all fours to her shotgun, which had skittered a few feet away when she fell. In only that matter of seconds, there were more screams, the world seeming to move both intensely fast and unbearably slow at the same time.

"Run!" Casey said, finally freeing his pistol from its holster and turning it towards Mikey. His former-friend's pale, bloody face looked at the barrel of the M9, though his eyes stared past it and straight at Casey, who pulled the trigger. The ricochet slammed the grip back into Casey's palm, while also sending flesh, blood, and bits of brain onto the pavement. He tried to turn to Jacen, but Jacen was already up, and he grabbed Casey by the shoulder and pulled. Casey used his pistol to bash the side of Jacen's face away, giving a nasty sideswipe with the barrel, before he aimed the gun at his forehead, squeezing the trigger again. Jacen went limp, falling to the ground. Casey looked back, and saw a few bloody footprints scratched into the dirt. Yamin had heeded his warning, leaving him in the midst of two, once-again dead, corpses. Looking down at his mauled left arm, he could see plenty of blood pouring out of it. Casey slowly turned his face up toward the sky, then brought the M9 to his temple. Sighing, he added one more corpse to the pile.

Yamin was half-panting, half-crying as she sprinted towards the center of the storage facility, logic giving way to pure fear. She didn't check her corners, she didn't make sure to keep quiet, she just ran. Her gear and pouches were swinging to and fro with each large bound, jostling against her with a faint ringing sound. A faint voice was coming from somewhere near her hip, and she realized mid-stride that someone was yelling over the radio. She held the SPAS one-handed by the grip and kept running, the other pressing the small receiver against her ear. She didn't even bother trying to put it on correctly. "Yaz! Answer me, damnit, what's going on?! What were those shots?!" It was Kosh, who sounded almost as panicked as she was.

"They're dead," she managed to scream, still running, "They're all dead! Afterdead!"

"[censored], tell me something I don't know! I saw one of them go around the far side of the silo when you and Casey went back there, I've been trying to warn you!" From the sound of his breath and the faint wind coming in through the broadcast, it was obvious that he was running, too. "I'm almost there, the truck should be here any -- OH [censored]!"

"Kosh? Kosh!?" Yaz yelled frantically, stumbling in her sprint to an eventual stop. She pressed the receiver further into her ear, a gesture that did nothing but clarify the screams coming through the headset.

"Get the [censored] away from me! N-NO! Gah-AHH! AUUGHH! Grrn-....You ugly mother- *Bang-Bang Bang*

Yamin broke down when the gunshots echoed in the distance, weeping hysterics as she crumbled to her knees. "Kosh! KOSH!....PLEASE....." She started hyperventilating, her breath coming in great, sobbing spasms as she screamed into the headset. Only movement in the corner of her eye made her stumble to her feet, clutching her shotgun in one hand and the headset in the other. A single Afterdead stumbled behind her, one hand outstretched as if he were beckoning her to join her comrades. She shrieked from both agony and anger and swung the gun around one-handed, blasting both the thing's face apart and the gun back into her body. A sick, splattering noise followed a moment later when the body collapsed, decapitated and twitching. She stumbled towards the field house, a small, square hut of a building that resided nearby. She hobbled inside, bracing a frail metal chair against the inward-opening door as best as she could. The Keidran collapsed into a sobbing heap, cradling the gun in her lap as the noise outside grew louder. She brought the headset up to her face one more time, tuning into the emergency broadcast channel. She stuttered at first, wheezing, before she was able to cry out a small message. "Th-this is Y-Yamin from....from Scavenger Group C....Someone, s-send help, please...." Tears began to stain her cheeks as the nosie outside grew almost unbearable, fists beginning to pound against the door and it's barrier. She closed her eyes and pressed herself as hard as she could against the back corner, pumping another shell into her shotgun. She began repeating the small phrase over and over again, even as the sounds of the door being slowly beaten away became louder and louder.

"Please....help."

Raziel Morgan
Council Member
Location: Hiding in the shadows, ready to strike whenever i am ordered.

#3 Post by Raziel Morgan »

wow, nice work so far. hooked me in really well, and flowed nicely. can't wait for next part, my only comment is how on earth did yasmin get to be team leader when she freaks at the first sign of danger? lol, awesome work!
What is dark, but a lack of light?

JediGuy
Zombicidal Maniac

#4 Post by JediGuy »

Raziel Morgan wrote:wow, nice work so far. hooked me in really well, and flowed nicely. can't wait for next part, my only comment is how on earth did yasmin get to be team leader when she freaks at the first sign of danger? lol, awesome work!
*Grins Maniacally* My plot to take over the forums one brain at a time has begun! BWah hah hah hah!

As for the Yamin thing (Not Yasmin, I left out the S on purpose), that will be explained a little later on down the road. Glad you Enjoy the story!

And to all others, please feel free to post comments. I need some constructive criticism if I want this story to turn out right.

JediGuy
Zombicidal Maniac

#5 Post by JediGuy »

(To be updated tonight. Remember, tell me what I can do better! )

Raziel Morgan
Council Member

#6 Post by Raziel Morgan »

nice, looking forward to the update.

JediGuy
Zombicidal Maniac

#7 Post by JediGuy »

Chapter 1
---------------------------------------

A lean, sandy-blonde-haired youth of no more than 20 slept soundly, sandwiched between the confines of the thin mattress and thinner blankets that were allotted to him by what remained of the Royal Military in the area of Shanei. The city had once been a grand trade hub, seconded by only the capital city and the port city of Damascus to the south, but since the Exchange, the terrible, near-cataclysmic nuclear bombing, it could barely be considered a shell of its former glory. The problems of his surroundings, though, didn't faze the sleeping youth, his eyes flitting back and forth behind closed lids despite the stream of light that was pouring in from upper windows. The barracks he was sleeping in was mostly empty, the only other signs of life being the sounds of a few other snoring bodies and the off-key singing that was emanating from the rear showers.

A pillow flew from somewhere across the room and smacked the man in the face softly, rousing him from his slumbering reprieve. Ryan let out a small, tired groan, blinking lazily as his eyes slowly adjusted to the light. He craned his neck just enough to look in the direction the pillow came from, spotting a familiar, tall anthropomorphic wolf standing in the doorway. Korin was around six-foot five and well built, with short, well-cropped black hair that would make him an intimidating figure if he ever felt the need, rare though those moments may have been."Whutizit....." Ryan mumbled, his head falling back into the pillow.

Korin pushed himself away from the wall and stepped into the large room, walking towards Ryan's bunk. They both knew the rules stating that Keidran weren't allowed in the human bunks, but no one cared enough to enforced the rule. Korin grabbed the pillow that he had thrown and reared it back over his head, smacking Ryan a bit harder this time. The man glared at the Keidran, who was nearly eye-level even though Ryan was on the top bunk. "C'mon," Korin said with a teasing grin, "you don't want to sleep through breakfast again, do you? They're serving your favourite."

Ryan ground his face back against the soft down and cloth.. "Fried potatoes and crispy bacon?" The question might've been sarcastic if Ryan hadn't said it in a tired, monotonous voice.

"Every day," Korin retorted as he dropped the pillow on a nearby bed and walked back towards the door. Ryan groaned again and rolled over, pulling the blankets around his head. "Oh," the Keidran called back, his voice drifting through the sheets, "we got a letter."

Ryan's head popped up from beneath the sheets, the man blinking awake for a moment before he leapt out of bed. He landed and was instantly tearing through his small footlocker, Korin laughing behind him. "I'll catch you in the Mess," he said, wandering out the front door just as the man was sticking a leg through a dirty, frayed pair of jeans.

The Mess was abuzz with activity by the time Ryan arrived, easily filled with several dozen people and Keidran chatting loudly in both languages. He wound his way between people and tables, absent-mindedly returning greetings to a few people while he searched for Korin. He spotted his friend a few tables away, sitting while another man, Eric, hung over him, leaning against the table to Korin's left. Like Ryan, Eric had lived in this area before the Exchange, and he had come to seeing a lot more of him since the military turned the city into a refugee camp. Ryan clapped Korin on the shoulder as he passed, sitting opposite the Keidran and nodding at Eric. "So, what'd we get dealt?"

Eric shrugged, glancing at someone a few tables over. "I didn't make it," he said simply, though he didn't necessarily seem devastated. "Boo-hoo for me. I get to sit back here and not put my [censored] on the line."

"You also don't get to keep anything you won't be finding."

"Small loss. I'd rather stay here, where it's safe. Not like anything happens inside the gates, anyway." Eric shrugged, popping his neck. "I'll catch you guys later."

"Pansy," Korin muttered playfully as he turned to Ryan, a spoonful hanging from the corner of his mouth. The Keidran slid a bowl of grey, lukewarm oatmeal across the table to Ryan, a similar, well-mangled spoon slowly sinking into the sludge. "I haven't opened it yet," he said, holding up a small, well-folded envelope. Ryan leaned forward, trying to snatch it out of the Keidran's hands, but the wolf was just smirked and snapped his hand back. "Nah ahh," he said, "me first." Tearing open the envelope, Korin pulled out the small piece of paper inside and let the envelope fall to the ground. The Keidran's green eyes danced in their sockets as he read, mumbling under his breath.

Ryan grudingly picked the spoon out of his bowl and sipped at the oatmeal, the bland, nearly tasteless paste appetizing him about as much as cardboard. "This is the worst bacon I've ever had," he muttered, his free hand tapping against the wooden tabletop. "Well," he asked a moment later, "what's it say?"

Korin shrugged, a small grin on his face as he held the paper in front of him. "Oh, what we already knew. I'm great, you suck, yadda yadda." Ryan scowled and snatched the paper out of the Keidran's hands, smoothing out the wrinkles before inspecting it. Typed in small, fancy font and with occasional written-in scribbles was a note:

Congratulations!

You and the following individuals have been accepted into the Royal Military's Scavenge and Resupply program. Your acceptance was based on the aptitude trials you were given upon acceptance into your individual re-habitation camps, and the results are non-negotiable. Failure to report for duty are grounds for immediate expulsion and potential termination.

The following members comprise of Scavenge Group:
Baker-11

Squad Leader: Mikhial Holzhoff
Assistant Leader: Nianika Holzhoff
Demolition: Korin of the Wolf Tribe
Long-Range Support: Malini of the Wolf Tribe
Medic: Ryan Mandell
Mage: Kathrin of the Fox Tribe

Please present this note and appropriate identification to the camp quartermaster for proper equipment and weapons checks.
Report to
Command Tent B at 1145 hours. Failure to do so are grounds for the above penal measures.

Ryan glanced at the paper for a moment longer before flipping it down onto the table, glancing up at Korin with a small, confused grin. "Just...how much do you know about explosives and demolition?"

Korin shrugged innocently, arching his fingers on the table. "If I said that I know that enough gunpowder makes a big boom, would you be reassured?"

"Not in the slightest."

"Well, I'll read the manual, then."

Ryan rolled his eyes, glancing back at the list one more time. He knew that Korin knew at least a decent amount, having made plenty of small, improvised explosives in the past for practical-joking purposes. "Just try not to blow your own [censored] off...hey, since when did they start adding mages to these runs?"

Korin shrugged, taking another large spoonful from his own breakfast. "I think it's just for extra protection. Plus, there aren't that many left, so we might as well take what we can get." The Kaidran wiped his muzzle on the back of his sleeve, pushing away the empty bowl in front of him. "Besides, she's a fox. Fox-girls are usually pretty high on the Dee-Eye-Tee-Tee scale."

The man blinked, confused. "I know I've heard this joke somewhere before..."

"Yeah, you have. 'DAMN, I'd Tap That.'"

Ryan pressed his fingers against the bridge of his nose, laughing out a sigh while shaking his head. "Heel, boy," The two talked for a while longer, Ryan slowly working down the oatmeal until he couldn't stomach it anymore. Eventually they made their way out of the tent, Ryan slipping a cigarette out of his pocket and bumming a light from an off-duty Corporal. "Damnit," Ryan said, taking a pull, "this is my last one...these things are getting damn hard to find. Most of them are going towards the army guys, anyway."

"'S why I don't smoke often....once in a blue moon, maybe. Bad habit to fall into." The Keidran was shifted a little to Ryan's right, just enough so that the smoke wafting from the man might have blown towards him in the wind. Ryan barked out a laugh, shaking his head and glancing down at the small watch on his wrist.

"Well, we've got a little bit of time to kill...feel like gettin' some new toys?"

Korin grinned, clasping his hands behind his head. "I thought you'd never ask."

Happeh
Traveler

#8 Post by Happeh »

Congratulations. I couldn't stop reading. :grin:

Lets see some more updates!

JediGuy
Zombicidal Maniac

#9 Post by JediGuy »

// Accessing File Footage --> Log B
- Waiting....
- Waiting....
// Access Granted.

// File Footage 1426-2JX5-29-A Recovered
*Play*

Date: Unknown. Estimated 3 years Before the Exchange (BTE)

"This is Doctor Githany Altaise, beginning video log of 'Project Wildfire.'" The screen showed the face of an attractive young woman, somewhere in her twenties. Behind her are various people in lab coats, both Human and Keidran. "Personally, I don't know why the 'feds are even considering this kind of research. It's completely preposterous. I mean, really, who are they to think that we can create some kind of 'Fountain of Youth,' to keep people alive forever?"

She sighs. "Well, it's not my money they're wasting. First tests were obviously inconclusive. We attempted using a Bi-Oxide solution mixed with some genetically-altered plant DNA used in most fruits to give them a longer shelf life." Githany twirled her finger. "Nada. We'll be running tests for the rest of the day, so....Dr. Altaise out."

*End*

// Accessing File Footage --> Log M
- Waiting....
- Waiting....

// Access Denied! The Log is restricted. Please enter valid code.
-
-
=Warning= Foreign Program Detected!
// File Foot-aks-%2215^%#@^<<<<@#^

// Access Granted

// Military Log 92XB-18L-JK3-TL0-H Recovered
*Play*

Helm-Cam of PFC Richard Lewis
Date: 5 Months BTE

The helmet cam josteled around as the wearer dove behind a rock. Looking around, the camera turned to see the image of two other soldiers, dressed in forest-camo uniforms, running towards him and crouching behind the same rock cover. "Sarge, Sir, the Kays have machine-gun boxes up ahead," came the voice of someone close to the camera, supposedly PFC Lewis. "Jenkins and Lopez are down!"

The older of the two soldiers, a man who looked in his mid-thirties, swore. "Lewis, Vale, I want covering fire on our six. Korman," said the sergeant to someone to the camera's right, "Radio command and tell them the coordinates."

The camera turned back towards where it had come from. On top of a small hill could be seen an even smaller bunker, with sporadic weapons fire coming from inside. A few soldiers were outside, firing from inside of a trench. The barrel of an M16-B rose out of the bottom-right corner of the screen and began firing back. "Got one," said Lewis as one of the enemy soldiers fell. The metallic clicking of gunfire filled the air, and Lewis had to duck back behind the rock, the sound of bullets bouncing off rock becoming prevalent. A small whistle from overhead diverted the camera's attention, because the view suddenly became a vibrant blue sky with a few white clouds in the air. Turning back towards the fighting, the camera caught the first of the mortar shells falling, blowing huge chunks out of the ground and the enemy bunker. Lewis yelled, and sprang from his hiding spot just as the mortar rounds stopped falling.

Running through the smoke, the camera came to focus upon a wounded Keidran. His left leg was blown completely off--the by-product of one of the shells. The Keidran, however, was trying to bring his sidearm to bare. The M16's barrel appeared in camera again, and the gun sputtered, emptying a few rounds into the Keidran's chest. The soldier fell to the ground in a bloody heap. "Rally up!" said the voice of the Sergeant, and the camera turned back to see the rest of the squad forming up near him. Lewis jogged over, camera shaking all the way, and came to a stop in front of the Sergeant. "Scrounge up weapons and ammo. We're meeting up with Bravo a little ways North. Seems like they've got some Kay trouble. Move out."

*End*

Raziel Morgan
Council Member

#10 Post by Raziel Morgan »

this gets better and better. Awesome, only problem is.....
WRITE FASTER!!!! lol

JediGuy
Zombicidal Maniac

Re: Twisted Reality (A TwoKinds Fan-Fic) [Updated 10-27]

#11 Post by JediGuy »

Chapter 2
-----------------------------------------------------------------

Korin and Ryan wound their way through the narrow, dirt-covered backroads that comprised the paths off of the main streets, angling their way through the refugee camp. They were slowly steering themselves towards the main streets, using the chipped, warped asphalt to take them towards the military complex that was set up in the center of the camp. On one side of the street were several small rows of tents, everything from olive-drab tarps to bedsheets to legitimate camping tents, where newly-arrived survivors, or those who didn't want to stay in dormitory-style housing, while the other side of the road was comprised of the back-end of several brick-built storefronts, long since converted for more useful purposes. Ryan rummaged through the over-the-shoulder medical satchel that he was given, digging his hands through the various, basic medical equipment he was given. "Let's see here..." He left the sentence hanging, following Korin's feet out of the corner of his eyes. The Keidran was wearing a new equipment vest and toting a bag filled with various tools and wires, mostly for explosive purposes; around his waist was a string of grenades, and how he snuck those away from the quartermaster Ryan had no idea. Slung over Korin's shoulder was an older 870CMS, it's black metal grayed with dirt and bits of rust. It almost looked like a toy compared to the wolf's large stature.

Ryan glanced up in time to avoid running into a rain-catcher barrel, sidestepping to follow the road before he diverted his attention back down to the medical bag. "Medical tape....I think this is morphine..." He pulled out the vial in question, which was filled with a small, clear liquid. He held it up to the sunlight, angling it towards Korin. "Does this look like morphine to you?"

The Keidran shrugged, giving the glass a once-over. "You tell me, doc."

Ryan pursed his lips, unscrewing the top of the vial and smelling its contents. His face scrunched and he quickly tried to force the vial away, coughing a few times. "Nope, definitely alcohol." He shook his head, eyes watering a little, continuing his inspection as the pair walked. "No.... scalpel." The man shook his head, sighing almost explosively. "What kind of field trauma kit do they give us that doesn't include a scalpel? I mean, really? What do they expect me to do if I need to cut, use my fingernails?"

"Cry some more, why don'tcha?" Korin said, slugging Ryan softly in the shoulder.

"It's the principal of the thing, damnit," he retorted. Pursing his lips,the sandy-haired man dug a hand through his pockets, removing a hand-length handle. He swung one end of the handle towards his outter-palm, a flash of metal reflecting the sun's rays as a knife blade came out of the middle. The knife locked into place as the handle slipped back into Ryan's grip, the blade shining as he inspected it. "That'll work," he mumbled, flipping the butterfly knife closed with the same motion he used to open it.

"Watch it," said Korin as he grabbed Ryan's shoulder to prevent him from running into an older woman. She scowled, taking a quick sidestep around the duo. Quickly apologizing, Ryan closed the bag up and walked forward, his cheeks slightly crimson.

"Y'know, old ladies are worth bonus points," Korin said before laughing quickly at his own joke. The Keidran shifted the pack and trotted behind Ryan, the city around them becoming more intact the farther they followed the road.

The "command," area was vastly different from the rest of the surrounding town. It was cleaner, more organized, and much more heavily monitored and patrolled. The pair reached a guarded checkpoint, complete with four marines and a mounted gun. "Y'know, if I didn't know any better," Ryan mumbled to Korin as they got close, "I'd say that they were expecting an attack, like, today." Korin remained mute, shaking his head slightly as they removed all weapons and equipment from their possessions and had them checked in by the military police. Individually, the two walked through the main gate, receiving a pat-down from a soldier before they were given passes and turned loose.

"Can you blame them," the Keidran finally replied, bringing a hand up and scratching at the rough patch of dark hair atop his head. "I mean, yeah, the bombings might've put a pause on the war, but...it never really ended. Who's to say that some of the refugees streaming in aren't actually Keidran Army insurgents or something?"

Ryan shrugged, glancing up at a sign as they passed to verify that they were going the right way. "Hey, as long as they know that you were here before all of that went down, I could care less, really." Stopping in front of another checkpoint, Korin and Ryan were directed to one of several large tents outside of city hall. Calling it a tent was an understatement, though, because it may as well have been a full blown building covered in canvas. Pushing one of the flap-like doors aside, Ryan noticed six more people already in the tent. Two were Keidran, both female, and four were human, three men and another woman. A half-dozen heads turned towards the rear of the tent and the two newcomers, and Ryan, looking from one face to another, frowned a little bit, a small sigh slipping from the corner of his lips. "Uhh...are we late?"

"By about ten minutes," one of the men said in a slightly annoyed, unprofessional tone. He had short, blonde hair, and a pair of sunglasses on. Everything else about his demeanor screamed military-industrial complex.

Rather than dignify them with a response and potentially just making things worse, the two sat themselves in the back row of chairs as an older officer, probably of around 50, stood and turned to face the small congregation."Well, now that we have everyone here," he said, casting a quick glance to Ryan, "we might as well begin. My name is Captain James Bower, and this," he said, gesturing towards a second, younger man, " is my subordinate, Staff-Sergeant Norman. We are one of several command teams in charge of the expeditionary and retrieval forces, which you have just joined. Your purpose will be to find supplies within the surrounding area, simple as that. We don't have a schedule, a quota, or whatever. We're just the guys that your Squad Leader reports to." Ryan was slightly put-off; not because of how he was suddenly being treated as part of a team, but rather because of the nature of the officer addressing him. He seemed too relaxed to be the military type, too casual. He let his speech hang in the air for a moment, before stroking a hand up and over his short, buzz-cut graying hair."Speaking of whom, lets introduce the squad. Sergeant, if you would," he said, motioning to the third man, the one who corrected them about the time. With a small grunt, he stood, his arms locking behind the small of his back with a casual-yet-commanding air.

He was a somewhat tall, strong-jawed man, maybe in his mid-thirties, with handsome swashes of gray hair just starting to show at his temples. Looking around for a brief moment, he brought a hand up to remove his sunglasses, folding the ear flap back across one finger. Hard, almond eyes made their way like sentries across the tent.."I am Sergeant Mikhail Holzhoff, your commander-in-chief." His voice rang with both smooth experience and controlled harshness. "This," he said, waving his hand towards the woman who was sitting next to him, "is Nianika Holzhoff, my second in command." The woman in question gave a small, silent wave, her scruffy brown hair and gentle facial lines presenting an uncommon sight amongst human soldiers. If she hadn't been in a pair of BDU's with her helmet resting on her knees, Ryan wouldn't have guessed that she was military.

"I thought they didn't allow siblings in the same branch, let alone serving together," Korin mumbled softly out of the corner of his mouth.

"Desperation does that to you," Ryan replied quietly, watching as the Sergeant returned to his seat. Captain Bower waved his hands towards the rest of them, and, after a small, awkward silence, one of the two other Keidran stood. She was a tall, gray-white furred wolf, who couldn't have been much older or younger than Korin by the looks of things. Her black hair slid down her neck and wrapped near her shoulders, with a pair of dark-blue eyes resting above her nose. "Malini, Sniper." Even though she only spoke two words, her voice was smooth in a tongue that was alien to her species, not carrying any hint of an accent at all. She sat down almost as quickly as she stood, her motions feigning anxiety while her face played out with boredom. She wore a not-too-loose fitting, camo-green tanktop and a dark pair of pants.

The second woman stood, her auburn hair splayed loosely around her shoulders. . "I'm Kathrin, and...well, I'm a Mage." Her voice, while quiet and reserved, sounded much more melodious compared to Malini's. The Fox Keidran gave a small smile before sitting down, whispering something into her wolf-counterpart's ear. Korin and Ryan both stood to introduce themselves in turn, but while Korin was speaking, Ryan could've sworn he saw a veiled look of annoyance, or perhaps anger, on Mikhail's face, all but vanishing when the Captain stood again.

"Unless you have anything more to add, Sergeant?" Mikhail shook his head once, and Bower nodded. "Alright, then. Sergeant Holzhoff, I relinquish command of this group to you."

Mikhail stood and saluted the Captain, before turning to face the others. "Meet at the North gate in half an hour. Dismissed."

JediGuy
Zombicidal Maniac

#12 Post by JediGuy »

Chapter 3
-------------------------------------------------------

The North Gate was one of the only two ways out of the city. Compared to the West Gate, it was safer all around, as well as there being an open field for a few dozen yards before wreckage or things of that nature got in the way. A small pile of bodies was placed at the far edge of the field, some of them raiders, but most afterdead. All had holes of various sizes in their heads.

By the time Ryan and Korin arrived at the gate's door, Malini and Kathrin were already there, talking quietly to each other. It looked like Mikhail and Nianika hadn't gotten there yet. They had some time to talk without worrying about their new bosses.

Ryan noticed right away that both of the women had changed clothes. Malini, though still wearing her white tanktop, but on top of that she wore a gray pair of light, triangular, cloth shoulder pads. The pads' stitching wrapped around her collarbone and out past her shoulders a good inch or two, with a small pad draping down over the socket of her right shoulder. Along with these she wore a pair of longer, tight black pants, with a pair of gray cloth kneepads that matched the shoulder pads. Around her waist was a small bag on her right hip and what looked like a large knife on her right. The blade was almost as long as Ryan's forearm, but the grip seemed like it would fit comfortably within Malini's large hands.

Kathrin hadn't changed her clothes much, but it was noticeable. She was wearing a long, dark brown robe with a pair of tan pants beneath. Most of her blue T-shirt was covered up by her robe, but what Ryan noticed the most was the amount of jewelry that she was wearing. Interwoven within the cuffs of her robe were a variety of crystals of various sizes, though most were fairly small. She wore similar crystals around her neck in an simple yet elegant necklace. As she turned to look at them walking, Ryan noticed that she had a small bag strapped to her back, and, as the flaps of her robe moved with her, a pistol holstered to her side.

Korin made the first move. "Hello, ladies," he said, walking nonchalantly up to them. Malini gave him a cold look, but Kathrin smiled a little and waved. "I don't consider the tent a proper greeting, so let me introduce myself: I'm Korin," he said, taking a small bow. Ryan rolled his eyes and followed Korin.

"I'm Kathrin," she said, nodding slightly to respond to Korin's bow. Turning to Ryan, she said, "So, you're our medic," she asked with a small smile on her face. Ryan nodded and she simply giggled a little, saying, "Hope you know what you're doing."

Korin intervened before Ryan could respond. "Are you kidding me? This guy knows everything there is to know! They were practically begging him to join."

"I'm nothing special," Ryan said, blushing slightly at Korin's compliments.

Malini finally talked. "As long as you keep me in one piece I could care less how good you are." Kathrin shot Malini a sarcastic look, and turned back to the others. She looked like she was about to say something when she closed her mouth and looked past Ryan. Turning around, Ryan saw Mikhail and Nianika approaching. They were both dressed in pre-exchange era military uniforms.

Mikhail spoke first. "Now that we're away from command," he said, stopping in front of the group, "lets get one thing straight. I am in charge. You listen to me without question. If I tell any of you worthless animals (Kathrin visibly winced as he emphasized animals) to take a bullet, you'd better well do it. Now, move out."

With that, Mikhail pushed his way through the group and past the gate's guard, walking out of the walls of the city. Nianika was close behind him. Looking from one person to another, Ryan saw that Malini and Kathrin were looking at each other, stunned into silence, and Korin stared at Mikhail with a mixed look of hurt, confusion, and anger. "Well," said Ryan sarcastically, braking the silence, "won't this be fun," and he began to follow Mikhail and Nianika, grabbing Korin's shoulder along the way. "Don't let him get to you," he said. Out of his peripheral vision, Ryan saw Malini sigh and pick up her rifle, throwing an arm over Kathrin's shoulder and whispering something in her ear. Kathrin smiled a little and nodded her head and the two walked with Ryan and Korin towards where Mikhail and Nianika were waiting.

JediGuy
Zombicidal Maniac

#13 Post by JediGuy »

No story update this weekend, going out of town. In the meantime, speak your mind.

JediGuy
Zombicidal Maniac

#14 Post by JediGuy »

(Aaaand....no mind speakage. Whatever, it's time for more post! Sorry if it's been so long, I've had a busy week....GET OFF MY BACK! Naw, but there's this one, so be happy! Also, Yey! +200 reads! Thanks a lot, fanboys/girls.)

Chapter 4 (Warning: Contains Gore)
--------------------------------------------------------------

The dry, cracked ground crunched beneath Korin's feet. Pompous [censored] he thought, staring at the back of Mikhail's helmeted head. He remembered what Ryan had told him. "Don't let him get to you." Korin smirked dryly. There was no way in hell that he was going to let this guy get to him, but he wasn't about to lay down and let this guy walk all over him. Absentmindedly, he unslung his 870, holding the grip in his right hand and the barrel pointed down and to his left. Glancing over his shoulder, he saw Kathrin and Malini talking quietly. Those two are quite the pair, aren't they... he thought, his mind slipping momentarily from Mikhail as he looked over Kathrin in his peripheral vision. Looking back forward, he saw that Mikhail and Nianika stopped about ten feet ahead. Walking up behind them, Koring took great pride in the fact that he was at least half a foot taller than the both of them. "What is it," he asked.

Mikhail didn't reply, but Nianika answered for him. "Rotters. Five of them, maybe twenty feet down the hill." Korin followed her gaze, and, sure enough, there was a small group of Afterdead eating....something. He couldn't tell what it was from this position, but he had an uneasy feeling that he wasn't going to like the answer. The rest of the group walked up behind Korin. "What is it?" Malini asked, even as she looked over Korin's shoulder and saw the small group of Afterdead, still eating away at the corpse. Ryan and Kathrin joined Malini, both looking at the small group. A disgusted look crossed over Kathrin's face.

Mikhail cleared his throat. "Sniper," he said in a low, gravelly voice, "Take 'em out." Malini opened her mouth, apparently about to retort, but Kathrin made a slight motion with her hand and she closed it. Shrugging, Malini slipped the rifle off her shoulder and began to move a few feet in front of the group. It was an older model, a semi-auto .22 model, with a dulled, stained wooden stock. The barrel, in contrast, seemed jet black, a nice, metallic shine coming off of it. It looked like Malini had gone over it with a magnifying glass and a brush, or something along the lines, because there wasn't a speck of rust on it.

When she was about three feet in front of the squad, she moved over by a small pile of ruble. Peaking over it to make sure the Afterdead hadn't seen her, she shouldered her rifle and cocked it. From where Korin was standing, he couldn't be sure, but it looked like she was muttering something under her breath as she lined up the sites. Placing her finger gently over the trigger, she hesitated for a few heartbeats, and then fired. One of the Afterdead dropped to the ground an instant later, a small hole in the back of his head pouring out a black, viscous ooze. The rest of the rotters looked up, looking for the source of the gunshot. Another shot rang out, and a second Afterdead was blown backwards, the shot bursting through it's right eye and out the back of his head.

The remaining three rotters began to slowly trudge towards the group, after having finally seen the muzzle flash from Malini's rifle. A third shot rang out, then a fourth, separated by maybe half a second. Two of the three fell dead, a hole in the center of their heads. The last one was still maybe eight feet in front of the group, and, as Malini reloaded, Korin noticed that this Afterdead looked familiar. He was a Keidran, maybe twelve or so years old. The side of his face had been eaten off, the muscles exposed, and there appeared to be a bite taken out of his right hand. Some of the hair on and around his face had fallen off, the rest matted together in what looked like an advanced form of mange. His eyes were a milky blue, and there was a scar over the right one. Korin looked at that scar hard, thinking.

No.... realization dawned on him. Pushing Nianika out of the way, Korin quickly shouldered his 870. "Get your [censored] back here," yelled Mikhail, reaching up for Korin's shoulder. Korin shrugged him off, continuing to quickly move forward. Malini, finally reloaded, looked up at Korin in confusion. "What in the world-"

Korin ignored her. Reaching the zombie, he shoved the barrel of the shotgun in it's face, between it's eyes. The rotter tried to reach around the gun, but Korin was too far back. "Sorry, Kosh," he said, and pulled the trigger. The blowback knocked the shotgun's stock back into Korin's shoulder, but wasn't anything compared to what happened to Kosh. The 12-gague buckshot practically blew his head off, bits of blood, flesh, and meat flying backwards in a cloud of black-crimson blood spray. Kosh's body flew backwards a good four feet, coming to a rest in a bloody pulp, the bottom flap of his jaw the only thing remaining of his head.

Pumping his shotgun, Korin looked at Kosh's body with disgust and remorse. Shouldering the 870, he moved back to the group. He ignored the questioning looks of Malini, Kathrin, and Ryan, along with the anger practically boiling out of Mikhail. at least, he tried to, anyway. Mikhail threw out a meaty fist and knocked Korin square in the jaw, throwing his head to the right. "Don't you ever disreguard orders again," Mikhail spat at Korin, his voice icy cold. "Now come on. We have work to do."

The group walked past the spot where Kosh's body lay, and Korin hung back, glancing quickly at Mikhail and Nianika. Reaching down, he lifted up the front of Kosh's shirt, searched around, and found what he was looking for. Pulling, he snapped the chain, and brought up a small necklace. It was a simple gold chain, with a small, unadorned golden ring hanging around it. "Don't worry, Kosh," Korin said quietly, standing and looking back at the body one more time. "She'll still get it."

JediGuy
Zombicidal Maniac

#15 Post by JediGuy »

Next post to come soon....

But not until you tell me how I'm doing! :twisted: [Insert Greed Here]

For all serious-ness, I don't know what to make of the lack of posty-ing. Either it's a good or a bad thing, (though the number of reads suggests good). I really want this story to turn out well, so tell me what to keep up and what to do better! Should I stick to childrens books, or can I out-write Rowling and Tolkein? :P

Comments appreciated!

EDIT: As a side note, I've started transferring my stories over to my Deviant Art page (link in sig). The stories on DA will be UNcensored (tyvm), so just a for-warning FYI. They don't really apply to the story yet, seeing as how the only censored stuff is swearing....but we'll never know about future chapters. :wink: