Desire For Orders: Submission to Authority

Post all your stories, poems, and haiku's here!

Moderator: Moderators

Sapphwolf
High Art Magus

#16 Post by Sapphwolf »

Verilidaine wrote:
GD wrote:And let Sapph illustrate it, you grinch :P
Yes, please :D

Yes please :twisted:

avwolf wrote:Alright, let's pose the question here:
Do I forget about the graphical asides and try very hard to keep myself from making texual ones, or do I leave them in and some how tone them down so they're not so distracting? Or were they just "wicked cool" and I'll have my life threatened if they're removed?

I will admit that they alone added months to the time to completion...
My vote would be to still do them, but don't include them with the story. Included them as a separate part. Sort of like a very short director's commentary from the "Special Features" menu. That way people can read the story, and then read the asides and know what's going on. Or host two versions, one with the asides and one without. I personally enjoy them, but I, like most people, skipped over them and then went back and read them afterwards. Perhaps you can work some internet Voodoo and make a web page that has the asides in a frame next to the story as appropriate. The reader can then hide or unhide them at their leisure.

TheSpiffman
Grand Templar

#17 Post by TheSpiffman »

I vote for the web Voodoo, and not just because he used the word Voodoo.

FastChapter
The Inkwell Coyote

#18 Post by FastChapter »

GD wrote:
TheSpiffman wrote:This is typically the part of the conversation where I call you all perverts.
Perverts? On the TwoKinds forum?! Don't be silly!
'
WHERE? DEAR GOD NO!! We went so long being a haven for sane, well-constructed banter... and now we've got a PERVO in our midst...

I liked the story overall, and I tend to overanalyze a lot of what I read. This was just easy, goofy entertainment so a lot of the criticisms I'd normally have don't really bother me. I mean, come on, how many Keith/Alaric saucies are out there? ONE!!

Bravo!

Sapphwolf
High Art Magus

#19 Post by Sapphwolf »

fastchapter wrote:
GD wrote:
TheSpiffman wrote:This is typically the part of the conversation where I call you all perverts.
Perverts? On the TwoKinds forum?! Don't be silly!
'
WHERE? DEAR GOD NO!! We went so long being a haven for sane, well-constructed banter... and now we've got a PERVO in our midst...

I liked the story overall, and I tend to overanalyze a lot of what I read. This was just easy, goofy entertainment so a lot of the criticisms I'd normally have don't really bother me. I mean, come on, how many Keith/Alaric saucies are out there? ONE!!

Bravo!

There'll be an Alaric Zen one if I have my way. (Which I probably won't *cries* Really must finish that picture...)

FastChapter
The Inkwell Coyote

#20 Post by FastChapter »

:P The problem with that is that you would have to devise a believable story in which they meet and get to know each other enough that they'd actually do the nasty. Then again, you might make up in the lack of believability with the reaction from Natani when she's incapable of tuning her brother & Alaric out... :3

Also, a random squirrel that is purely random, and is no way, shape, or form trying to convey my feelings about the fanfic:

Sapphwolf
High Art Magus

#21 Post by Sapphwolf »

fastchapter wrote::P The problem with that is that you would have to devise a believable story in which they meet and get to know each other enough that they'd actually do the nasty. Then again, you might make up in the lack of believability with the reaction from Natani when she's incapable of tuning her brother & Alaric out... :3
Oh, I have thought of several different ways that the two could meet. Some more implausible than others. (All vaguely implausible to begin with, but is that not the point of a slash fic?)

TheSpiffman
Grand Templar

#22 Post by TheSpiffman »

I'm intrigued now. Tell me more...

FastChapter
The Inkwell Coyote

#23 Post by FastChapter »

Hah, as long as it's nothing like "Oh crap, I forgot the milk at Zen's house!" which immediately leads to Zen lying nude on the kitchen table strapped down with fuzzy handcuffs and a raging [hard-on].

Did that censor work?

But I loves me some legit story rather than two-dimensional backfill to prop up a sex scene.

avwolf
Templar Inner Circle

#24 Post by avwolf »

Well, technically, Zen's seen Alaric through Natani's mind's eye, right? Maybe? So it's plausible that he could think to himself, after Keith and Natani start working out, "Self, we should look to finding ourselves a man. You're absolutely right, self. Hey! I remember there was this really hunky Basitin guy who kept hitting on Natani's bed buddy. Yeah, self! He's drool worthy!"

As for Internet voodoo, sure...Actually it's not that hard (though a bit time consuming). I'll see what I can do... Can't really do it with the pdf (not with the tools at my disposal), so you'll all have to deal with ugly, no paragraph, website formatting.

-- Can I express my own disapproval of my work? --
I really wish I'd been able to come up with a better title. I was hoping for a good, strong double entendre, and all I could make up was this weak one... *sigh*

FastChapter
The Inkwell Coyote

#25 Post by FastChapter »

Yeah, the title was a bit.... well, over-titled? I'd stick to something simple, like where the story takes place or something to encompass the theme without being corny.

"Officer's Quarters?"

avwolf
Templar Inner Circle

#26 Post by avwolf »

Okay, voodoo's done. Check the html link for the new "magically showing and hiding" version. I'll try to churn out a new pdf with the images shrunk a little and dropped in along the side margins shortly.

I'll admit it, I like subtitles. The titling scheme makes more sense when you realize this is part one of an expected three. I haven't decided on what the other subtitles will be though.

-- Okay --
New version of the pdf is up too. This one has smaller images and puts them on the right side, where they're less likely to bother the reader. Considering this was how I wanted the Rock Band aside the whole time, I'm not disappointed by the result. I was afraid that they wouldn't be readable if I shrunk them down, but I could go further than I have. Take a look and give me your comments. Remember, what you say now will affect future generations (of the fanfic). :P

Sapphwolf
High Art Magus

#27 Post by Sapphwolf »

TheSpiffman wrote:I'm intrigued now. Tell me more...
Ok, the one I like most involves Keith refusing to kill Natani, then the two try to break Trace out of jail. However, Alabaster had spies watching Keith and had set a trap for him. Alaric steps in and distracts the guards just long enough for the two to escape, grab Flora and the others and take off in Eric's ship. (A couple heroic fight scenes obviously. Mike and Evals get to show their stuff. ^_^) Alabaster has Alaric arrested, but as soon as the general leaves, the guards let him go and give him a 10 second head start. Alaric barely makes it to the boat with the others. Upon landing close to human territory they meet Zen, who knew his sis was in trouble and defied orders to come to her aid rather than sit on the sidelines. And there you have it. Keith and Natani have had a very long boat ride to explore their relationship, (and each other) so all of those fans are satisfied, and Alaric still ends up with a sexy boy. Plus Zen needs more screen time. He's awesome. ^_^
avwolf wrote:Okay, voodoo's done. Check the html link for the new "magically showing and hiding" version. I'll try to churn out a new pdf with the images shrunk a little and dropped in along the side margins shortly.

I'll admit it, I like subtitles. The titling scheme makes more sense when you realize this is part one of an expected three. I haven't decided on what the other subtitles will be though.

-- Okay --
New version of the pdf is up too. This one has smaller images and puts them on the right side, where they're less likely to bother the reader. Considering this was how I wanted the Rock Band aside the whole time, I'm not disappointed by the result. I was afraid that they wouldn't be readable if I shrunk them down, but I could go further than I have. Take a look and give me your comments. Remember, what you say now will affect future generations (of the fanfic). :P
Much better. I approve.

TheSpiffman
Grand Templar

#28 Post by TheSpiffman »

Sapphwolf wrote: Keith and Natani have had a very long boat ride to explore their relationship, (and each other) so all of those fans are satisfied, and Alaric still ends up with a sexy boy. Plus Zen needs more screen time. He's awesome. ^_^

That "and each other" aside caused me quite a bit of hilarity. Bravo sir, bravo.

Dogman
New Citizen

#29 Post by Dogman »

Man, coming from me this may sound odd but I feel guilty after reading that :(

Now that's not saying it was bad, it was very well written.

avwolf
Templar Inner Circle

#30 Post by avwolf »

Dogman wrote:Man, coming from me this may sound odd but I feel guilty after reading that :(

Now that's not saying it was bad, it was very well written.
Why feel guilty, Dogman? Did you do something we don't know about? :P