Farewell Natani

Post all your stories, poems, and haiku's here!

Moderator: Moderators

TheMasterOfOats
Apprentice
Fav. Twokinds Character: Florence Ambrose

Farewell Natani

#1 Post by TheMasterOfOats »

This story is very sad and is a precursor to the "Familiar Grief" sketch posted a while ago.

Natani lay on the bed, not asleep, but not fully awake. She lay in this half-state, reminiscing on her life, things she'd do again, do differently. Thinking about her past brought a subtle tear to her eye, gently rolling down her cheek and into her greying hair.

She was now 22 years old.

Her life had only become more confusing since she turned 13. Confusing, but also greatly enjoyable. She had loved, lusted, held, hated, fought, and flown. Another tear-soaked into her hair as memories, both good and bad washed over her.

In the corner of the room, the door softly clicked open, and Natani snapped wholly into reality. She was naked, lying on her back in bed. It'd been years since her secret first got out. Had she ever returned to her home territories, she'd have probably been imprisoned, or worse. But she hadn't gone home: she joined complete strangers on a journey to somewhere that may not exist. And now that she'd arrived, her journey was at an end. Perhaps she might have lived longer, if not for countless injuries, poisons, and explosive blasts.

"How are you feeling?" Keith's voice gently rang from the door.

"I'm fine," she replied. Her voice, while not possessing the wolven strength it used to, still came clear from her throat. "As good as I can be when I'm dying"

She chuckled at this, but she saw enormous pain in Keith's eyes. "Natani, don't say that" Keith's voice was cracking, she could tell.

"We both know my days were numbered when Zen died last year." He sat on her bed and placed his hand on her stomach. The strength that used to lie in her core had since become a shadow of what it was. That was her least favourite part of ageing: the muscles all melt away.

"Natani," Keith began. It was all he had to keep from bursting into tears. She had only heard that tone once before: when he bid farewell to Laura's illusion, almost half her lifetime ago. "Natani, I can't lose you. Not again."

"We can't change fate," she comforted, pulling him down onto the bed with her. "Believe me, I've tried."

They lay there for a moment before Keith rolled over to look her in the eyes. He brought a hand up and gently stroked her greying hair.

"But, what do I do? I can't imagine we were made to endure such grief."

"Keith," she interrupted him before he caught momentum, "Shut up and kiss me."

As they fell into what may have been the last embrace of her life, both Natani and Keith made a decision. Natani wrapped her arms around him, restraining him until she was gone. Keith pushed against her arms, for he had one last thing to do. In the end, Keith's strength won out, and Natani relinquished her grip. As he pulled out of the embrace, Keith rolled out of bed.

"I can't do this." He began, his own tears beginning to fall. He walked over to her chest-of-drawers and drew open the bottom one. Removing all her clothes, he jerked the false bottom out of place. Only he and Natani knew about it. And they both knew what was in there.

"Keith," Natani began, using all the effort she had to sit up in the bed. "you'd better not be about to do what I think you're about to do."

Keith rose from his knees holding a knife. The very same knife he had tried to kill her with, all those years ago in that Bastian inn. "I can't live without you.
"After Laura, you were all I had. I loved you for years, more than I ever loved Laura. I still love you, and I can't be without you." He held the knife to his throat and closed his eyes.

In a burst of pure adrenaline, Natani jumped out of bed and grabbed his hands. Her strength defied her age, and in his emotion, Keith released his grip on the knife. Natani tossed it aside, and as the tension faded, Natani felt an odd feeling.

Thunk.

She dropped to her knees on the floor, and a mere gasp escaped her lips "Keith,"

"Natani!" Keith screamed, and he heard motion downstairs.

He caught her before he fell back, and he pulled her close to his chest. He felt her warm tears soak into his fur, and he felt his own tears flow.

"Natani, I can't live without you." His voice squeaked as he held tight to her dying body.

"It's not the end, Keith," she comforted, her voice, while weak, sounded calm. "I'm going to see my family, and soon, I'll see you. But you must promise me 2 things."

"Anything"

"Once I'm gone, don't kill yourself; you still have things to do. And two, never stop loving me." As she said these words, she tightened her grip on him.

"I will, Natani. I will never love anyone as much as you."

"Thanks, Keith. I love..." Her grip relaxed entirely, and Keith mustered the strength to look at her face. Her eyes were closed, and she looked relaxed.

"Keith?" A voice rang through the door. "We heard a noise, is everything... oh." Madelyn looked in at the scene. "Is she..." she started, and Keith confirmed with a small, pained nod.

"I'll give you a minute." Maddie closed the door gently.

"Goodbye, Natani Keiser. I will see you soon."

You’re welcome.
Mr. The master of Oats, master of Oats Canada and Canada Oats, in Oats, Canada.

TheMasterOfOats
Apprentice
Fav. Twokinds Character: Florence Ambrose

Re: Farewell Natani

#2 Post by TheMasterOfOats »

I went through and spellchecked the whole thing, and I'm starting to wonder if I actually know english.

You’re welcome.
Mr. The master of Oats, master of Oats Canada and Canada Oats, in Oats, Canada.