Moreau - A Left 4 Dead FanFiction

Post all your stories, poems, and haiku's here!

Moderator: Moderators

BadFoMo
Grand Templar

Moreau - A Left 4 Dead FanFiction

#1 Post by BadFoMo »

My idea of a replacement for Bill. This was also meant to be a prologue of sorts for my 'friend's' custom campaign. Care to guess what that campaign is?

"Will you two be alright without me?" Zoey asked as she opened the door to the sailboat's cabin.

"I think me and 'Louie' can handle not crashing this thing." Francis replied in his usual cocky tone.

"Good." She said as she started down the steps. "I need to take a rest. Let me know if anything interesting happens."

The inside of the boat look like it had been stripped of some of its luxuries and remodeled to make room for all the shelves. All that was left of the original design was the kitchen, the bathroom, a table and the bedroom in the back. Near the front where the shelves ended were a couple sleeping bags.

"Guess the guy we got this from wasn't traveling alone." Zoey thought as she got down and stretched out on the sleeping bags. She would have gone to the bedroom to lay down, but judging by how the boat had been 'downgraded', there were probably no lights back there; and she didn't really want to use her hair-trigger pistol's flashlight to find her way around.

'...wasn't traveling alone.' That last part echoed in her mind as she stared up at the ceiling. The three of them had been waiting almost a whole day for the Zombies to clear out for a second time before they felt it safe to take the boat. If whoever was traveling with the dead guy they found in the boat was going to come back, they would have by then.

Zoey had not been traveling alone ether. Shortly after her normal life had been violently ripped to bloody shreds by the Zombies, she met up with others who shared her immunity to the virus. Francis, Louis and Bill; for better or worse, they were all the family she had left. Her new family however, had recently gotten smaller.

Bill had sacrificed himself so that the rest of them could escape. When the chaos had finally died down, they went to find out what they all already knew. They moved him into a more dignified pose, covered him with a blanket they found in one of the cars, said their goodbyes and left.

"Bill..." Zoey whispered. "I'm sorry for how I treated you. It was nothing personal; I just wanted some semblance of my old life back."

"Thunk."

Zoey's train of thought was interrupted by a sound coming from the bedroom; a sound which reminded her of a Zombie stumbling around. She quietly got up and taking care not to make too much noise made her way back up to the deck.

"Hey, Zoey, I think we-" Louis started to greet her until he noticed the concerned look on her face. "Uh, is everything all right?"

"Guys, I think we have an uninvited guest on board."

"You're kidding." Francis said as he turned from watching the ocean to facing his two companions. "How could a Zombie go unnoticed this long?"

"I don't know, but I need someone to cover me while I take care of it."

"All right, I'll watch your back." Louis replied as he pulled his pistol out and checked it to make sure it was still loaded. "Watch the wheel for me, Francis."

"Sure, how hard could it be?" Francis answered as Louis and Zoey went back down into the boat.

"It's in there." Zoey said as she pointed to the door next to the stairs. "I'm going to open the door slowly and try to kill it from out here. If it jumps me or tries to pull me in, you know what to do." Louis nodded and took aim at the door from the kitchen area.

Zoey's heart was pounding as she slowly opened the door. She was certain it was just a normal Zombie since it wasn't making that much noise. What worried her though was how much time she would have to kill it before it noticed her and attacked. Then there was the problem of having to hit it without missing. They had been at this for about three weeks now; Zoey could easily hit her targets without missing. The thing that was messing with her right now was the consequences of missing or hitting a part of the body which the bullet could easily pass through. If that happened they would have a new hole in the boat which none of them could fix. Very problematic when you're probably miles away from land; and when you're call for help will most likely not be answered.

The door was now open enough for her to get a good look and take aim. To her surprise, it was not a Zombie that had made the noise. Before her was a humanoid creature covered in brown fur that was wearing shorts and a tank top, and appeared to be sitting upright in the fetal position and cowering in the corner of the small bedroom with its arms up and crossed to cover its face.

"Uh... hi, there?" Zoey said hoping to try and get a response from it. The creature slowly lowered its arms to reveal the face of what appeared to be a dog. She could see that the dog was afraid of her. "It's all right; I'm not going to hurt you." She said as calmly as she could while lowering her pistol.

"What do you see?" Louis asked while still keeping his pistol aimed at the door.

"I... don't... know." Zoey responded while not taking her eyes off her target. "It looks like some sort of dog."

"Does it look infected?"

"Uh..." Was all she could say at first until she noticed its front paws which looked eerily similar to human hands. "I think it might be, but it doesn't look hostile."

"Doesn't look hostile doesn't mean it isn't."

"I know. It's just... I don't want to kill something if I don't have to."

Zoey then realized that while she and Louis were talking, the dog had completely lowered its hands and was just simply staring at her with a concerned look on its face.

"Come on out." She said as she backed away from the door. "We won't hurt you."

They didn't have to wait long for the dog to comply. It slowly and cautiously slid down off the bed and, to Zoey's amazement, stood up and walked on its back legs like a Human! It cautiously walked out of the room towards her. As it moved into the better lighting, she could see that its face and arms were dotted with scars. Louis let out a small gasp at the sight of the dog causing it to stop and move back a little bit.

"No, no! It's okay!" Zoey quickly said in a reassuring tone. She cautiously moved towards the dog so she could get a better look at it. The dog looked at her as if it was expecting to be punished. Zoey slowly placed her hand on its head to pet it while getting a better look at the scars. "Oh, you poor thing."

"Careful, Zoey." Louis said, still keeping his pistol pointed at the dog. "If I still know my dog breeds, that looks like a German Shepherd. I've known those things for being vicious."

"That's why I'm not making any sudden movements." She softly replied so as not to startle the dog while she brought it closer to her and wrapped her arms around it.

"Those injuries look too old to have been caused by the zombies. What do you suppose made them?"

"I did tell you that my father was a police officer, didn't I? He got called in to help clean up a dogfighting arena. These scars match what he described to me."

"Geez! If it is a fighting dog, it's a miracle it didn't attack us."

"Sometimes they're mindlessly vicious, sometimes they're completely terrified of Humans."

"Maybe it hasn't seen too many fights."

"Well, that's not impossible." Zoey said as she pulled away from the dog a little to get another look at the scars. "It doesn't seem to have that many scars..."

"Hey, what's taking so long with killing that Zombie?" Francis asked as he made his way down the steps. Both Louis and Zoey flinched at the sound of his voice fearing that it would set the dog off. Miraculously though all it did was turn its head to the sound of Francis' voice.

"Well, the good news is it wasn't a Zombie." Louis answered.

"So what's the bad news? Did someone break the boat before I could?"

"No, the boat's just fine; and I wouldn't so much call it bad news as... well, look for yourself." Louis stepped out of the way to let Francis see the dog.

"What the-" was all he could say when he first saw it. After a second or two of staring at each other, Francis returned to his usual cocky self. "Hey, Louis, aren't werewolves supposed to be vicious and bloodthirsty? This little guy seems practically tame." He then directed his attention towards the dog. "So, you got a name, little guy?" He jokingly asked expecting one of the others to have named it.

"Li-le guy?" The dog replied to the shock and amazement of the three humans.

"You can talk?!" Zoey quickly asked hoping to get another response out of the dog but was only met with a confused look.

"Let me try something." Louis said as he walked over. "My name is Louis," he said to the dog as he placed his hand on his chest. "Can you say Louis?"

"Lou-us?" The dog repeated.

"This is Zoey," he said as he motioned to her.

"Zo-wey?"

"This is Francis," he said while motioning towards him just as he did for Zoey.

"Fran-s-us?"

"And you are?" He asked as he motioned towards the dog. They waited a short while, but the dog gave no reply; he just looked around with a somewhat confused look on his face.

"Do you have a name?" Zoey asked. The dog looked at her as if he wanted to reply, but said nothing and simply lowered his head to look away.

"How about we call you, Moreau? You like that name?" Louis finally asked to break the silence again.

"More-row?" The dog repeated in curiosity as he directed his attention towards Louis.

"Uh, why Moreau? Why not something awesome like Killer, or Crush-inator?" Francis asked in a tone suggesting that 'Moreau' was a dumb name.

"Because I can't help but notice some very loose similarities between 'The Island of Doctor Moreau' and our situation."

"Uh, okay, I didn't really major in literature; you're going to have to explain this one to us." Zoey requested as redirected her attention to Louis.

"In the story the main character gets stranded on an island inhabited by humanlike animals which were created by Dr. Moreau. To make a long story short, the animals go back to their animalistic ways, the main character gets back to civilization but worries that his fellow humans will do the same as the animals so he decides to go live in seclusion. In our situation, the majority of humanity has devolved into savage animals, we are running away to an island to go live in seclusion, and now this mutated dog is most likely going to be on the island with us."

"Okay, but why Moreau?" Francis began. "I doubt he's a doctor. Why not name him after the main character, or one of the animals?"

"The last time I read that story was when I was in high school. All I remember is the gist of it and the last name of the doctor."

"Well, Moreau is better than what I was going to name him." Zoey stated as she looked back at the dog now named Moreau.

"What were you going to name him?"

"Gilligan."

"Are you serious?" Louis asked as he snickered.

"As soon as I saw the boat, the Gilligan's Island theme song started playing in my head."

"Uh, yeah, speaking of islands," Francis began knowing a good segue point when he heard it, "we may have found one."

"Really?"

"Oh, right, yeah! That's what we were going to tell you when you initially came up." Louis answered as he grabbed a pair of binoculars off one of the shelves before following Francis back up to the top deck. "Come on, we want your input on it as well."

"We'll be right back." Zoey said to Moreau as she made her way up to the top deck as well.

The island was still good couple miles away, but they were close enough to get a good view with the binoculars. "What do you see?" Zoey asked not knowing if Louis's previous look of optimism have been replaced with a look of either deep concentration or defeat.

"I see an island with a couple hills, moderate vegetation, an old crashed airplane we might be able to dock at," Louis said as he started handing the binoculars to Zoey, "and an encompassing beach dotted with Zombies. I guess we weren't the only ones who had the idea of going to the Keys."

There was nothing but silence between the three survivors. They had come so far to get away from the Zombies, and here the Zombies had gotten to the island first. "So what," Francis began, ending the silence, "are we going back to the mainland, looking for another island, or are we going to take this one?"

Zoey didn't want to abandon Bill's plan. Although she didn't like it at first, she felt as if they were obligated to stick to it; seeing as how he sacrificed himself for it to keep them away from what seemed like an endless supply of Zombies. Looking for another island would probably be safer, but she did want to reclaim something from the Zombies. "I say we take it."

"Sounds good to me." Louis finally said shortly thereafter. "Bill ran this scenario passed me while we were coming up with the plan."

"Alright, let's see if we got enough ammo." Said Francis as he started back down into the boat. "If it's one thing I hate, it's running out of ammo when I'm surrounded by vampires."

"For the last time, they ain't-!"

"Let's just roll with it." Zoey interrupted as she followed Francis down the steps.

Louis rolled his eyes and followed. "So, we did pack some ammo before we left, right?" He asked as soon as he was inside with everyone else.

"Totally." Francis replied as he moved the cans of food and medical supplies which were on the shelves. "We brought the guns; and we usually remember to bring spare ammo with us. Now if I can just find that freaking coffee can I used-."

"Ammo." The three survivors turned to see Moreau pulling said ammunition filled coffee can out from under the navigator's seat and place it on the table next to the guns. There was a brief pause as they all stared at the mutated dog who somehow managed to perfectly annunciate the word 'ammo' and correctly identify an object as such.

"Uh, I guess his previous owners must've trained him to find supplies." Louis said after the brief pause.

"You know what?" Francis began with a quick laugh. "I think the little guy might actually be growing on me."

The survivors walked up to the table to inspect their arsenal. "Think we got enough?" Zoey sarcastically asked commenting on the almost overflowing can of ammunition.

"I'd say so. Now all we need is a plan for taking the island. Anyone got any ideas?" Louis asked as he turned to lean against the table.

"Well, from what I saw, the wing of that plane was the only place to dock. I say we try to tie off there and try to clear the island of as many Zombies as we can before we build a shelter somewhere." Zoey suggested.

"And just what are we going to build that shelter out of? Last time I checked, we didn't bring any building materials. We didn't even bring tents!" Francis stated to poke holes in the plan.

"I don't know. Some of the palm trees, repurpose parts of the airplane maybe?"

"I don't remember us packing any tools. Actually, why do we even need to build a shelter? Why don't we just stay on the boat with the island next to us?"

"You want to be crammed in here with the three of us most of the day while bobbing up and down with the waves? I don't know about you, but I don't. I also don't like the idea of our home sinking during a really bad storm."

"Zoey's got a point." Louis began as he turned to face the others. "I mean, I like you guys, but this little cabin is a little too close for comfort. How about we just clear the island as best as we can and worry about the shelter afterwards?"

"Sounds like a plan to me." Francis replied as he pulled out his pistol and pulled the slide back enough to see that there was a round in the chamber. "Everyone locked and loaded?"

Zoey did the same even though she remembered chambering a round earlier. "Yep, I'm ready."

"I'm good to go." Louis replied after having checked his pistol too.

"Click-Clank."

The three once again turned once again to see Moreau holding a pistol he had just cocked and proceeded to put back into a holster they fail to notice when they initially saw him.

"Think we should take him with us?" Zoey asked while keeping her eyes on Moreau.

"He's been full of pleasant surprises so far. Maybe he's good at killing Zombies too." Suggested Louis as he turned to see what Francis' input would be.

"Worth a shot. If he turns on us, we can just kill and eat him."

"What?! No!" Zoey objected as she turned to face Francis. "We are not going to eat Moreau!"

"I'm kidding, I'm kidding." Francis quickly replied after a short chuckle while he went and grabbed one of the first aid kits. "Now come on, grab some first aid and a gun. We've got killing to do." Francis finished as he started back up the stairs with his shotgun in hand.

Left 4 Dead, the characters Bill, Francis, Louis and Zoey, and all related material belongs to Turtle Rock Studios/Valve.

The Island of Dr. Moreau belongs to H. G. Wells.

Gilligan's Island belongs to Sherwood Schwartz, I think?

I think I own the character Moreau.
Why yes, in addition to the usual ships, I support Zen X Kathrin and Alaric X Laura.

TwoKinds Printable Game Toys!
Now crowd sourcing ideas!

anonfox123
Grand Templar

Re: Moreau - A Left 4 Dead FanFiction

#2 Post by anonfox123 »

You have my attention. (If you read the FWC entries you'd know why, lol)

Is this an evolved form of that fic you posted waaaay back when? I remember it was also in L4D's world and had a anthro dog character...
Ice-cold science-fantasy space-ninja operative!

BadFoMo
Grand Templar

#3 Post by BadFoMo »

One of them. I believe I did post the synopsis and what I had done of this one,
Spoiler!
but you might be thinking of the one where Keith runs into two infected Wolves and a still living Bill. I would like to believe I'm still working on that one.
And sorry, but this is all I had for that group (unless I should try making a ‘character sheet’ for Moreau).

Also, no offense (I don't really get out that much), but what are the FWC entries?
Why yes, in addition to the usual ships, I support Zen X Kathrin and Alaric X Laura.

TwoKinds Printable Game Toys!
Now crowd sourcing ideas!

anonfox123
Grand Templar

#4 Post by anonfox123 »

BadFoMo wrote:One of them. I believe I did post the synopsis and what I had done of this one,
Spoiler!
but you might be thinking of the one where Keith runs into two infected Wolves and a still living Bill. I would like to believe I'm still working on that one.
And sorry, but this is all I had for that group (unless I should try making a ‘character sheet’ for Moreau).

Also, no offense (I don't really get out that much), but what are the FWC entries?
FWC is the forums fall writing competition.

Winners announced here: viewtopic.php?p=894604#p894604
:P
Ice-cold science-fantasy space-ninja operative!