Path to Paladinhood

Post all your stories, poems, and haiku's here!

Moderator: Moderators

Akira110
Literary Artist

Path to Paladinhood

#1 Post by Akira110 »

Prologue

95 Years after the Verbanan Liberation War

A young adult Kani walked through the roads of his small town, he wasn't part of the nobility, but he was dressed at least somewhat well in his uniform. He had one goal in mind that day, as it was his birthday. He was going to go back home to see his parents for the first time since he started training. He waved to people as they passed by him, it was a small town, so everyone knew each other quite well. The Kani stopped in front of a small house and knocked on the door. He waited a few moments and then suddenly it opened, a female Kani looking at him, "Kauko, it's you!" The female Kani hugged him tightly, "Hello, Mom. I told you that I'd be back for my birthday, didn't I?" The female Kani nodded and pulled him into the house, "Your father has something for you."

Kauko placed his bag on the chair as his father came up to him, "Your mother and I pooled together our money for this. We know how it always has been your dream to go to Maan Valssi and become one of the Paladins, my son. So, your mother and I sent a letter there and well..." Kauko looked confused, "You didn't have to, I'm happy around here, being with the two of you." His mother looked at him, "Well, the carriage to take you to Maan Valssi will be here soon, Kauko. I'm sorry that your father and I cannot go with you, but we'll be here and you'll be able to visit us at any time. Lady Sinikka has given you the permission to do so." Kauko was so confused, he had indeed dreamed of being a Paladin, but now that his dreams were coming true, he was leaving everything he had known behind.

There was a knock at the door and it startled him. His mother spoke up, "Come in." The door opened and a Paladin stood in the middle of it, "Kauko Aaltonen, I presume?" Kauko turned around, "Yes, sir. I haven't yet packed my things or said my goodbyes yet, is it alright if I do so?" The Paladin nodded, "Of course it is." Kauko smiled and walked to his room, packing his clothing and everything that was important to him. He heard a voice speak up behind him, it was a female voice, "So you're the new student that's going to be part of my group, huh?" Kauko turned around to see one of the most beautiful female Kani that he had ever seen. He stood up, "Hello, ma'am, I am Kauko Aaltonen." The female Kani laughed, "Katriina Hietala." Kauko recognized that surname, "You are family to Lady Sinikka?"

Katriina nodded, "I am her daughter." Kauko knelt before her, "Milady." Katriina shook her head, "Do not bow to me, I am a student of my mother as well." Kauko stood up, "Yes, ma'am." Katriina shook her head, "Please cut it out with the formalities. I do not like it when people are formal with me, I just want to be treated like anyone else." Kauko nodded slightly, "As you wish." Katriina sighed slightly, "At least you're not like that other guy that's in our group." Kauko looked at her, confused, "What's he like?" Katriina sighed as she folded her arms, looking away, "Mother doesn't like me speaking ill about the trainees, but Hannu is quite the [censored]." Kauko nodded slightly as he picked up his own luggage and Katriina shook her head, "I'll take it out for you. You have something to say to your parents, don't you?"

Kauko nodded, he didn't really know what he was going to say to his parents, but, he had to try. He looked over to Katriina and handed her his luggage and she smiled, "Don't worry. We won't be going through any Kitsune lands. I hear that the army led by that young Kitsune... what was his name again... Masaru, that's it. The army led by Masaru is marching on the gates of the castle, but we cannot be too careful." Kauko nodded as he left his room, he felt saddened by the fact that he was leaving his family behind. He walked into the dining room where his mother was drinking tea, "Mom?" His mother looked at him, "Kauko, dear. I know that you're sad, because you took that big paying guard job to help us pay for the farm and all, but don't worry. We'll be fine."

Kauko's Father came into the room, "Sari and I have been fine here, since before you came around, Kauko. Don't worry, we'll be fine." Sari smiled, "What Tapani is trying to say is that you're a man now. You shouldn't worry about your parents, we're farmers. It's what we have always done, all our lives. You however, have dreamed of something bigger. You always had your head in the clouds, looking up at the stars." Sari placed her hand on Kauko's hand, "You even said that you wished to become a Paladin one day." Kauko nodded, "But, I didn't want to leave the two of you behind. You're my parents and I love the both of you." Tapani laughed, "We'll always be here, kiddo. You'll be welcome to see us at any time." Kauko nodded with a smile, "Thanks, Dad." Sari motioned towards the door, "You don't want to be rude and leave Lady Katriina waiting."

Kauko shook his head and hugged his parents, "I promise the two of you that I will return someday." Sari smiled as Kauko let go of them, rushing off outside. Katriina stood in front of a lavish carriage, "I apologize if this isn't what you're used to, Mother will not let me settle for anything less." Kauko reached out and touched the carriage, it was relatively cold to the touch, real metal was used in the construction. One of the attendants opened the door and Katriina climbed in first. Kauko was confused at first, but he climbed in and sat down, "I never thought that this would happen. I mean, I've always wanted to be a Paladin, but I never thought that I'd get the chance. I'm not nobility and thus I cannot become a knight." Katriina smiled, "You don't have to worry about that."

Kauko was confused, "What do you mean?" Katriina smiled as the carriage started moving, "Well, Kauko. If you manage to make it through the training and become a fully fledged Paladin, you will automatically become a noble. Though you will be a lesser noble, you will be part of the nobility. However, unlike most lesser nobles, you only have to answer to the royal family or the deities and demi-deities." Kauko nodded, "Have you met the royal family?" Katriina nodded slightly, "Of course, they are a very regal lot, except for of course their youngest son and their daughter. Granted, Seija is less of a rebellious kind of princess and more acts as a diplomat, even despite her age. So she is sort of given a pass. Their youngest son is still just a small child, he hasn't quite learned the ways of royalty yet."

Kauko nodded, "So what is the Paladin training like?" Katriina smiled, "Well, it's grueling, and considering you were training to be a guard in a small town, it'll be taxing on you. However, it will be up to you to see it through to the end, Kauko." Kauko nodded slightly, "So the challenge will be difficult, that's good. As my father once said... Nothing in this life worth doing is easy." Katriina laughed slightly, "That is good advice. It will take us a few hours to get to Maan Valssi, would you like to sleep or anything?" Kauko shook his head, "If it's all the same, I'd rather talk to you on the way there." Katriina nodded, "You'll learn a lot that way, I wish Hannu was like you, but he's always looking down on people that weren't born into nobility." Kauko frowned, "People like that need to relax a bit more."

Katriina spoke up, "Did you hear rumors about a Kitsune in Masaru's army that is said to be crazy powerful and skilled?" Kauko nodded, "Kawal, right?" Katriina nodded, "I heard that he settled down and had some kids with a nice Vixen, but he returned to the battlefield to fight alongside the rightful heir as penance for what he did during the Menschilche occupation." Kauko nodded, "That much I didn't hear, but I do know the story of Kawal. It would be a frightening thing if we did meet the legendary enforcer himself." Katriina nodded, "Agreed. Our route will not take us through the areas we could meet him, though." Kauko was silent for a little bit, then asked a single question, "Do you think they'll win? The true heir and his army that is..." Katriina looked outside the window as they continued onward, "I don't know, but if they really do have Kawal on their side, then I have no doubt that they will."
Been around this forum for over 8 years now. Everyone I've known has left, now it's my time to do the same.

Akira110
Literary Artist

Re: Path to Paladinhood

#2 Post by Akira110 »

Chapter 1

As the carriage arrived in Maan Valssi, Kauko looked out the window. He had heard stories of the splendor of the city itself, where the Paladins were trained. Katriina laughed, "You're excited." Kauko nodded, "I've heard stories of this place, but never once have I gotten to see it for myself." Katriina nodded, "Maan Valssi is a large place, but before you become part of the Paladins, there is one thing you must do first." Kauko nodded, "What's that?" Katriina smirked, "We are in one of the royal carriages, I was ordered by my mother to retrieve you, but the King and Queen wish to personally meet you. It's just a formality as the Paladinic Order is rather close to the royal family." Kauko nodded, "So every potential Paladin has to?" Katriina nodded, "Except me, granted, when you're the child of Sinikka, you're generally well known enough for that to not be necessary."

Kauko nodded slightly and stayed silent as the carriage pulled up to the castle grounds. The door was opened and Kauko saw a couple of royal guards standing there, he was nervous but Katriina spoke up, "Just be yourself, Kauko. Remember, you've been accepted to train within the order in hopes of joining the order." Kauko nodded and climbed out of the carriage, looking at the guard, "Excuse me, sir. I am rather new here, can you please guide me to where I need to go?" The guard looked at him and then at Katriina, "You found an actually polite one this time, eh, Katriina?" Katriina nodded, "I'll be waiting out here in order to take him to the temple." The guard nodded slightly and walked into the castle, Kauko in tow, "You're not from the city, are you?" Kauko shook his head, "No sir, I am not."

The guard smiled, "Don't worry, I was a lot like you when I first came here to Maan Valssi. I used to live in a small fishing village out near the border between our kingdom and the Fairy kingdom." Kauko nodded, surprised at this, "I didn't know that the royal family employed people from the rural areas of our kingdom." The guard nodded slightly, "They're more than willing to do so. By the way..." The guard stopped, "this is the throne room, the king and queen are expecting you, so feel free to enter at your leisure. If you need a moment to collect your nerves, they will allow you to do so. However, they are very kind people, and like I said, this is a formality, nothing more." Kauko nodded as the guard opened the door to the throne room. As he walked in, he noticed that it was large and that there were other guards within.

Kauko was amazed, he had thought of what it would be like to stand in the throne room before, of course, but he never thought he'd actually be here. Before he could take a step, he felt someone run into him and as he fell to the floor, he heard a feminine gasp. As Kauko hit the floor, he turned his head to look at the person who did it. A woman around his age was standing there, she had long red hair in a ponytail, deep green eyes and Kauko noticed the scar on her chin. She stood there looking at him, "I'm sorry, I didn't see you there!" Kauko shook his head, "It is my fault, I was standing here in awe of this beautiful place. I had... I had..." Kauko's heart started beating harder in his chest, he had never felt this way.

The woman held out her hand and Kauko took it, he was thankful for the fur on his face as he blushed. The woman helped him up, "I'm Seija, Princess of the Kani and you are?" Kauko was nervous, his heart was pounding in his chest and it felt like he had a knot in his throat. He never thought he'd get to meet the Princess like this, but he expected even less for her to be the most beautiful woman he had ever laid eyes upon. Seija frowned, "Are you alright? You're shaking." Kauko didn't notice that he was shaking, "I... I... I uh... I... I..." Kauko couldn't bring himself to speak and Seija shook her head, "Just relax." Kauko gulped, "I'm Kauko Aaltonen, milady!" Seija's eyes widened, "You're that peasant boy that we have been expecting!" Kauko nodded silently and Seija took his hand, "Come on, you have to meet my parents!"

Seija took Kauko over to the thrones and Kauko looked at the King and Queen of the Kani. The two of them looked incredibly majestic, when Seija let go of his hand, he went to kneel. Before his knee could touch the ground, the King spoke up in a deep and booming voice, "Rise, Kauko Aaltonen." Kauko rose and looked the King in the eye, the King smiled, "You treat me as an equal." Kauko shook his head, "No, milord. I treat you with the proper respect that my superior deserves." The King shook his head, "You bear the weight of a great responsibility, young one. It is not easy to become a Paladin, especially for one that only wished to become a guard. You do not have the training of a knight, nor could you have afforded the training."

Kauko nodded, listening to the king speak. The King frowned, "If you choose to give up now, it will be understood. However, if you so choose to continue... I wish you the best of luck." Kauko closed his eyes, "Milord, with all due respect, my parents paid a lot of money so that I could come here. I do not wish to burden them with my failure, so I intend to fulfill my life long dream of becoming a Paladin." The Queen smiled, "Kauko, the King himself is a Paladin, he knows the difficulties that you will face in the coming months." Kauko opened his eyes, "I understand that, milady, but with all due respect, I didn't come here for nothing. I want to be able to hold my head up high and say that I made my parents proud." The king nodded, "Your parents are proud of you, Kauko."

Kauko knew that was the truth, "Even so, I would not be able to live with the shame of being so close to my dream, yet never trying to attain it. I will face the hardships and I will overcome them. I have spent my entire life being told that I will never fulfill my life's dream. That I will never become one of the Paladins. I have never given up because of their words, why would I give up now?" The King laughed, "Spoken like a true knight. I see now why your parents chose this for you. Well Kauko, though you may not have endured the training of a knight, your actions and your eyes tell me that deep down, you have the spirit of a Kani Knight within you. I will allow you travel to the Temple, however there is one thing I must ask you before you go."

Kauko nodded, "Anything, milord." The King folded his arms, "Do you happen to like my daughter?" Kauko was taken aback by that, though he was smitten with her, he was but a peasant and she was royalty. Seija giggled slightly, "I knew that you were drawn by my beauty, Kauko." The King smiled, "Kauko, if you become a Paladin, you will have earned the right to marry into the Royal Family, however. That will be up to my daughter when the time comes." Kauko nodded slightly, "Your daughter is very beautiful. The three of you carry a majestic air about you that I cannot see myself ever being able to replicate." The queen smiled slightly, "Just be yourself, Kauko. We'd rather you be who you are than try to fake it." Kauko nodded, "May I take my leave?" The King nodded, "Lady Katriina, you may take Kauko to the temple."

Katriina nodded and Kauko turned around to see her, "How long have you been standing there?" Katriina smirked, "Long enough to know that you have fallen head over heels for Princess Seija." Kauko frowned, "She's out of my league." Katriina shook her head as she led him out of the room, "If you give up on your dreams without trying to achieve them, you will have to forever live wondering what you could've done if you had only tried." Kauko sighed, "Using my own words against me, Lady Katriina?" Katriina nodded, "In a manner of speaking, I am, but those are words that every Paladin believes in. Most Paladins come from noble families who are used to getting what they want, but the greatest Paladins come from families such as yours." Kauko stopped, "Wait, what do you mean?" Katriina stopped and turned around, "My mother accepts all types of people to become Paladins. But those who aren't nobility that have to actually endure the training for the first time become the greatest Paladins." Kauko nodded and the two of them continued out of the castle, heading for the temple.
Been around this forum for over 8 years now. Everyone I've known has left, now it's my time to do the same.