Twokinds Story Character Ideas

Post all your stories, poems, and haiku's here!

Moderator: Moderators

HoboInABox
Traveler

Twokinds Story Character Ideas

#1 Post by HoboInABox »

I do a lot of character-driven writing, but it's mostly science fiction and mostly in a universe I have domain over, so i decided to do a bit of fan-fiction for fun and felt like Twokinds was a good thing to write it for.

However I wanted input on the characters themselves, seeing as I don't know the universe as well as some of you, and definitely not better than Good Lord Tom F. So without further ado:

The Hunters Five (working name, up for changing)

(Note: Klein and Eber have the same backstory text)

Leader: Koda
Likely the most beautiful man you’ll ever encounter, Koda is a tall, young wolf with fur that looks like it could legitimately be made out of shaved silver. He prefers to not talk about his childhood, but has occasionally made reference to a wolf village on the border of Human territory that was level almost a decade ago. As a younger man, he was linked through circumstantial evidence to at least a dozen murders involving known anti-Keidran families, however he has never stayed in a town long enough to be convicted. Known and feared for his skill with a longsword and minor magic.

Mage: Jess
A powerful figure amongst the group, Jess is a mid-twenties Human woman with long Raven hair that is almost always dressed in the robes of mages. While she originally studied among the Templar in an attempt to discover more fascinating ways to use magic, she quickly became tired of their rigid doctrine and left the order to follow her own path, much to the disappointment of her superiors. Shortly afterwards, Grand Templar Trace Legacy rose to power, and during the conflict that followed Jess was branded a traitor for defending a group of wolves from Templar attack. Hearing of this event and the magical power Jess displayed during it from several of the survivors, Koda reached out to Jess in a request for her to join his newly-formed bounty hunting group. Since accepting, she has been party to a number of decisions that have made her question her morality, however she stays with the group both because she has become friends with her companions, as well as because she believes she has encouraged them to take more moral actions simply due to her involvement.

Bowman: Klein
Adopted brother of Eber. Klein is an aging half-breed Keidran (think Kathrin but male and jaded) that has always been the runt of the pack, almost regardless of where he goes. He has a penchant for marksmanship, able to hit any target with seeming ease. Klein and Eber were found by a fisherman many years ago as a cub and baby aboard a sinking lifeboat. The fisherman gave them their names based on their appearances, and proceeded to raise them alongside his own son until they became old enough to leave the home. They spent five years searching dedicatedly to find out where they came from, and never truly gave up the quest, but eventually they decided to join with Koda in the hopes of a life filled with adventure, and the possibility of finding their heritage.

Berserker: Eber
Adopted brother of Klein. Eber is a bear of a Human man with a poorly-groomed beard and enough chest hair to call him a Keidran. His temperament is extremely volatile, and Klein often has to rein him in before he has a chance to cleave someone in half with his repurposed scythe battleaxe. Klein and Eber were found by a fisherman many years ago as a cub and baby aboard a sinking lifeboat. The fisherman gave them their names based on their appearances, and proceeded to raise them alongside his own son until they became old enough to leave the home. They spent five years searching dedicatedly to find out where they came from, and never truly gave up the quest, but eventually they decided to join with Koda in the hopes of a life filled with adventure, and the possibility of finding their heritage.

Assassin: Anya
Often disregarded as simply the pretty face, Anya is a thin cheetah Keidran with a golden-blonde ponytail and a well-toned physique, all of which make her an extremely deadly assassin in the right scenarios. She was born a slave to a powerful alchemist in a large Human settlement, and after many years gained enough of his trust to act as his assistant, learning everything she could about the practice while creating potions and poisons of her own when no one was paying attention. Eventually she became somewhat of a consort to the alchemist, and though she had legitimate feelings for him, she could no longer bare to remain a slave. Using the freedom her position as his most trusted slave gave her, in one day she poisoned every member of the alchemist's household and escaped the city, turning to a life of paid killing as she took a vow of abstinence as penance for killing the man she loved (a fact that has disappointed both Koda and Jess on several occasions). After gaining a name for herself, she was approached by Koda, who informed her that he was forming a bounty hunting group. She readily accepted, hoping the added companions might be able to fill a hole in her heart, and has been working as their primary assassin ever since.

Warrl
Grand Templar

Re: Twokinds Story Character Ideas

#2 Post by Warrl »

I find Anya a little jarring - it doesn't make sense to me that she killed her master and his family. She could have just left town, which she had to do anyway. By killing them she got the town guard looking for her sooner (very quickly after the first body was found, versus some time after her master realizes she's missing) and more vigorously (runaway slave and suspected murderer, versus runaway slave) - including sending word to other towns.

Of course, if she didn't kill them, you'd need some other reason why she was invited into the group.

HoboInABox
Traveler

Re: Twokinds Story Character Ideas

#3 Post by HoboInABox »

Warrl wrote:I find Anya a little jarring - it doesn't make sense to me that she killed her master and his family. She could have just left town, which she had to do anyway. By killing them she got the town guard looking for her sooner (very quickly after the first body was found, versus some time after her master realizes she's missing) and more vigorously (runaway slave and suspected murderer, versus runaway slave) - including sending word to other towns.

Of course, if she didn't kill them, you'd need some other reason why she was invited into the group.
I thought about doing it that way, but the way I pictured it, the love was more one-sided on her part than mutual, and she figured he was more likely to chase after her across the country than the town guard were. I might alter it so she also burned the place down afterwards to hide what exactly happened, but I think the alchemist should be dead by her hand to make a more psychologically-damaged character.