The Mellow Corridor

Post all your stories, poems, and haiku's here!

Moderator: Moderators

Akira110
Literary Artist

Re: The Mellow Corridor

#16 Post by Akira110 »

Chapter 15

Yoshiro looked around from his seat, he had come to grips with the fact that he was a machine. He looked at Elise, "Tell me, what does it mean to... to be alive?" Elise laughed, "The meaning of life? That question?" Elise looked up, "Life inherently lacks a meaning. However, we give it a meaning with our outlook and our decisions in life, because that is the way we are. Does that answer your question?" Yoshiro shook his head and looked up at the ceiling, "No, not at all." Elise sighed, "I'm sorry, little one." Yoshiro closed his eyes, "I'm an adult. Or at least... that's how my AI was programmed." Elise shrugged, "I apologize, Yoshiro, it's just something that I..." Yoshiro shook his head, "I want a different name." Elise nodded, "It'll be simple for you to rewrite that sector, what do you wish for your new name to be?"

Yoshiro looked at his good hand as he looked at her, "Can I be linked up to a database full of names?" Elise nodded, "Sure thing." Yoshiro closed his eyes and saw the data flash in his mind, within moments, he knew every single name that had ever existed and he quickly started going through the information. When he opened his eyes, he looked towards Elise, "The Kitsune name database seemed fitting for what I am. I have chosen my name. Hiroki, it means abundant joy or strength. Considering I'm an android, I got strength to spare." Elise chuckled at that, "Well hold still while I reinstall your arm, Hiroki." Hiroki nodded slightly, "So you're going to accept my new name, just like that?" Elise nodded as she worked on connecting the arm to the android, "You're permitted to change your name as many times as you want, so long as you submit the change to the records archive."

Hiroki nodded slightly, "So what you're saying is?" Elise shrugged, "You aren't registered, yet. But I'm in the process of doing so. Tell me, why do you wish to be like us?" Hiroki sighed, "Because that's honestly the life I lived before I found out that I'm... well... this." Elise finished hooking the arm back up, "Alright, try to move your arm." Hiroki moved his arm and flexed his fingers, "Thanks." Elise nodded slightly, "You're welcome, Aiko should be returning with Julius at any time now. But in the event that Julius doesn't come back, I'll drive you over to the lab myself, alright?" Hiroki nodded, "Alright." He stood up and looked around, "So did you know the doctor?" A voice spoke up, "That woman was your mother, Why-Zero." Hiroki shook his head, "I chose a new name, it's Hiroki now."

The source of the voice walked out from the shadows to reveal it to be Klaartje and Hiroki growled, "You're that assassin!" Klaartje bowed, "At your service." Hiroki folded his arms, "Do you think that you scare me?" Klaartje shook her head, "No, because I've not done any assassinations since the Galactic War came to a close. Tell me, Hiroki, why do you wish to pick a fight with me. I'm the reason you're not a carbon copy of the man I loved. Your mother was going to create Yoshiro as he was, to try to bring back a hero that never wanted to be a hero. The man was a weapon, the man learned that he was a weapon at one point in his life and he rejected that notion as he always had. He may not be a hero, but his courage was one of the traits I admired in him."

Hiroki nodded, "I know, I've been going over what files I could. I lack the clearance for most of his folder, but from what I know, Yoshiro was an amazing person and always protected his friends." Aiko walked in, "No... you see he... he never fought to protect. He fought because he was good at it." Klaartje nodded slightly, "That's right, but... how do you know that?" Aiko shrugged, "Fifth volume of his memoirs, was the quote on the front of it. 'I do not fight to protect those I care about, I could find some other way to do so if I were so inclined. I fight because I am good at it, I fight because ultimately it is what I was born to do. I just so happen to hate people hurting the innocent or people I care about. This doesn't make me a hero, it makes me a soldier."

Klaartje nodded, "Yeah, that sounds like something he wrote down." Hiroki nodded and looked at Elise who sighed, "I was hoping that I wouldn't have to deal with Klaartje." Klaartje looked at Elise, "You do look... oh, right. Sorry for ruining that party a long time ago." Elise shook her head, "It's fine, just I know now that you're not the most graceful person in a dress." Hiroki shook his head, "I couldn't imagine her in a dress." Aiko blushed at the thought of Klaartje in a dress and Klaartje looked at Hiroki, "What's that supposed to mean!?" Hiroki stepped back, "Nothing, nothing! Just you don't seem to be the kind of person that would ever be caught dead in a dress is all." Elise nodded, "She was quite uncomfortable in it." Klaartje blushed, nervously, "It was somewhat restrictive and unfamiliar to me!"

Aiko giggled, "Klaartje, you seem to be a different person from the woman who asked me out." Elise looked at Aiko, "So then you're the reincarna—" Klaartje shot a glare towards Elise, "That information is to be kept private, am I clear?" Elise nodded, "Well, since Julius doesn't seem to be coming back, I'll have to drive you all to the lab. Oh well. Anyhow, can someone pick up Aiko and help her into my vehicle when we go?" Aiko looked at her leg, "I'm fine, really, I can get into a car, no problem." Elise shook her head, "It's not a car, it's a van, I carry equipment with me everywhere I go." Hiroki nodded, "I'll carry her, after all, she and I are supposed to be partners?" Klaartje looked at the two of them and Hiroki sighed, "Travel partners, I'm a machine, Klaartje." Klaartje blinked, "Oh, right. Anyhow, when can we leave?" Elise sighed, "Half an hour."
Been around this forum for over 8 years now. Everyone I've known has left, now it's my time to do the same.

Akira110
Literary Artist

#17 Post by Akira110 »

Chapter 16

Julius landed where Balthoron was standing, on a cliff near the lab and Emiko slid off Julius' back, allowing the Dragon to transform into his Kitsune state. Balthoron didn't turn his head back, "It's a beautiful sunset, isn't it?" Julius spoke up, "You know why I'm here?" Balthoron nodded as he looked out towards the setting suns, "I'm aware, Uncle, but can we not enjoy this moment." Emiko cleared her throat, "I'm not sure if you are aware of my presence, but I've come seeking the same answers that Julius has." Balthoron laughed, "Oh, then allow me to apologize for wasting your time, O Deity of Death." Emiko's brow furrowed, "I think I liked you better when you weren't an [censored]." Balthoron shrugged, "I liked it better before the galactic war broke out and I lost my innocence, but..." Balthoron looked back with a smile, "The world isn't perfect, and neither are any of us."

Julius folded his arms, "Tell me about that day, Balthoron!" Balthoron turned around, "You have no business telling me when to tell you about that day." Emiko sighed, "Great, you're being difficult, tell me... why are you being defensive." Balthoron walked over to the railing and leaned on it, "Because it was honestly the worst day of my life." Balthoron lowered his head and sighed, "But I guess the jig is up, huh... well I'll tell you the truth. I didn't order that attack." Julius nodded, "Emiko said you didn't, it's not in who you are to do something like that." Balthoron shook his head, "We had bad intel. We thought the colony had been overrun by the Neanderthal forces and we were getting ready to attack, but I held back, I wanted to investigate. That's when a mutiny took place. The entire crew agreed to remove me from power and... I was marooned on the planet."

Balthoron looked back, "I watched as I descended onto the planet as my former vessel opened fire on the colony, destroying it. No one believes that I didn't do it, they believe I had chosen to go down there myself to try to hide my involvement. Isn't that right, your highness." Julius and Emiko turned to see the Ram Tribe Queen standing there and was surprised that Balthoron picked up her scent before they did. The Queen looked at him, "How did you know that I'm here?" Balthoron turned around to look at her, "Simple, I didn't pick up your scent as you're masking it with the scent of your guards. One of them isn't here, though as you know better than to engage me at close range. The question is though, will you have me assassinated in front of the Deity of Death?"

The Queen growled, "How did you set this up?" Balthoron shrugged, "I didn't, though the only reason I'm still on the planet is because they wanted me to wait for them. Here's a better question, why are you trespassing on private property that is outside of your jurisdiction?" The Queen looked at him, "You're a threat to us all." Balthoron sighed slightly, "Call off your sniper, I'm not here to fight." The Queen looked at Emiko, who shrugged, "As far as I know, no one dies today." The Queen sighed and placed a finger on her ear, "Lower your rifle." Balthoron nodded, "Now was that so hard?" The Queen glared at him, "Don't push your luck." Balthoron shrugged, "No, pushing my luck would be threatening you. Since you're here though, I guess you should know the story. Your parents weren't killed in that attack."

The Queen shook her head, "Liar!" Balthoron shrugged, "What would a man with a medical degree know about people dying or not? I mean it was pretty much my [censored] job, you insufferable [censored]. You wonder why I don't like coming here, you wonder why my brother doesn't like you and he and I are enemies. It's because you get this idea stuck in your little head and you never want to let go of it, well it's time to let go and see the truth." The Queen reached for her earpiece, but Balthoron wagged his finger, "Tell me, do you know how many places there are for a sniper near this lab?" The Queen looked at him, "How many?" Balthoron pointed to a rocky outcropping that overlooked the lab, "That's the only one. I'm not here to be hostile, but if you order him to attack, electricity is faster than a person's hand."

Balthoron watched as the other guards reached for their weapons and Balthoron shook his head, "I hate you idiots." Balthoron raised his hand into the air and released a pulse that traveled along the area, "Your weapons are now disabled, yes, including your sniper's. Now that you have no choice, you will have a civil discourse with me. I'm sick of your [censored]." Balthoron walked towards the Queen, "Your parents didn't die in the attack. Your parents were at the colony, but the attack left survivors. However, you are right to say that I killed them. It's a guilt that I have to live with for the rest of my life." The Queen growled, "I knew that you were scum." Balthoron shook his head, "In the following days, buildings collapsed and we had to scavenge supplies, try to get some help. Try to leave the planet... however."

Balthoron folded his arms, "Your father got trapped under rubble. He was dying anyhow. Your mother wanted me to save him, but I couldn't. So I put him out of his misery. I shot your father so that he wouldn't suffer. Your mother died a week later. I tried to get her out from the building, but it collapsed on her. Her ribs were crushed and she was bleeding from the mouth. I couldn't do anything. So... I shot her, too. I regretted what I did, but in the end, I couldn't save everyone... I couldn't even save anyone... supplies dwindled and well, by the time I got rescued, I was starving and dehydrated and I'm trained and conditioned to ration my supplies. I want you to think for a moment about why that was so. Anyhow, I'm leaving this system, anyone needs me, don't bother come looking for me. I'm out." Balthoron left the area, leaving Julius and Emiko not only with the answers they sought, but a confused and angry Ram Tribe Queen.
Been around this forum for over 8 years now. Everyone I've known has left, now it's my time to do the same.

Akira110
Literary Artist

#18 Post by Akira110 »

Chapter 17

Night had fallen and Aiko had fallen asleep on the shoulder of Klaartje while Hiroki looked out the window. A car exited the driveway of the lab and Hiroki noticed who it was, "Balthoron's leaving the place... hmm..." Elise pulled into the driveway, "Well, you're home, I'll stay here for the night if the three of you want." Klaartje shook Aiko awake, "We're at the lab, Aiko." Aiko blinked and groggily looked at the building, "We're here? Okay... can we go inside, I wanna go back to bed." Klaartje kissed her on the forehead, but Hiroki just left the car, he didn't bother to stay to help. He had one thing on his mind, finding answers, and he was going to find them, no matter what happened. As he walked in the door, the place looked exactly the same as it did before, but he shook his head and walked towards where he was created.

He saw something on the wall that he didn't notice before and placed his hand on it. The object pressed in and he detected a surge of energy as a door opened. He steeled himself for the possibility that he was going to be attacked, but no such attack came. Instead, Leticia's voice spoke up, "So you have arrived, Why-Zero." Hiroki shook his head, "I changed my name to Hiroki, mother... where are you, I thought you had passed away?" A hologram of Leticia appeared before him, "I am an AI program based off of Dr. Leticia Slinde, I was designed to assist you, but you and Aiko left. Do you have any questions for me?" Hiroki nodded slightly, "Yes, I want to know why I was based off of Yoshiro Miyamae, one of the three Verbanan Legendary heroes." The AI nodded and was replaced by a hologram of the real Dr. Slinde.

Leticia's hologram looked at him, "This is the fourth of my recordings. There will come a time where you realize that you were physically based off of one of the legendary heroes. I was originally going to create an android that was effectively a full copy of him as a tribute to the hero. It wasn't going to be used in combat, but as a way to bolster the morale of the people, however, as fate would have it, his family and friends stepped in and pulled the plug on that whole idea. I had already completed your physical shell and most of your design, the rest of the work was AI. Honestly, if I had to guess, you may be the only android based off a living person's appearance... well a dead one, but you get what I mean, right?"

Hiroki nodded slightly, "Alright then, why was I created?" Leticia's hologram flickered, "This will be the first of possibly many recordings. If you have found these, then I have succumbed to my condition and am not there to watch you as you grow as a person and answer questions you have in person. A commonly known fact about me is that I'm sterile, but I've always wanted a child of my own. So, I started building you, however, I wanted you to come into the world as a person instead of just a machine. The thing is, I needed to base you off someone in order to do that. That's why you have these memories that aren't yours, you may feel free to erase them if you want, but I put them in there to prevent you from just being a machine. To me, you're more than a machine, you're my son."

The hologram closed its eyes, "Your purpose is to learn how to be a person, your AI is what is known as a living AI. It is a type of AI that Dr. Yoshiro Miyamae created over a thousand years ago using a hypothesis of his own. I know, you will probably have looked into his records and noted that he was the most lethal sniper on his planet, but you must not overlook his contributions to society in the field of robotics. He was a brilliant scientist and his work paved the way to you. In a way, you could call him your grandfather. Your AI is designed to be able to learn and grow, as you wish and you're free to make your own decisions. No matter what they are. You can choose to go fight, like he did long ago, or you can go and live a peaceful life."

The Hologram opened its eyes, "Unlike organics like myself, you will be able to change your path in life no matter what you choose and no matter how old you get. Your purpose is to live, or more accurately live your life how you want to live it. Your destiny is in your hands alone, no one else can force you to do something you don't wish to do. I love you, my son and I always will, even if I am unable to be there for you." The Hologram disappeared and the AI from before appeared before him, "Do you have any more questions?" Hiroki nodded, "Can you please download these to my neural network?" The AI nodded, "Alright, transferring." Hiroki sighed, "What's your true purpose in all of this." The AI placed her hand on her chin, "Well I took this form because I figured it would be what you're most comfortable with, but I'm your assistant."

Hiroki shook his head, "Aiko and I assist each other." The AI sighed, "I am here to build what you need, when you need it. Your mother loved you, she designed you to be her own son, and she was happy to see you come into the world. She hoped that you'd never come back here to find these recordings or find out about your true nature." Hiroki nodded as he looked at his hand, "I was told that it doesn't matter if I'm flesh and blood or made of metal and wires. What matters is what's on the inside." The AI tilted its head, "That's unfamiliar wording to me, but if that's the definition you wish to use, then you may go ahead and do so." Hiroki nodded, "I honestly do not know what I wish to do with my existence, but... someday I'll find out and I'll be able to tell you." The AI nodded, "I look forward to that day, Hiroki."

Akira110
Literary Artist

#19 Post by Akira110 »

Epilogue

Hiroki looked at the lab one last time, a week had passed since they had returned and he turned to Aiko, "I think I'm going to go off and find my own purpose in life, Aiko. I've learned so much from you and the others, and just... I need to understand who I am and what I am... instead of you know. I'm the first android with my potential, a new possibility for machines, so the responsibility of it all falls on my shoulders. You're a good friend and if you ever need me, you can just call me. I'll come as soon as I can, alright?" Aiko nodded, "Thank you, Hiroki." She watched as Hiroki left, walking down the road with only the clothing on his back and Klaartje spoke up, "Do you think that he'll be alright?" Aiko shook her head, "I don't know, Klaartje. I honestly don't know."

Klaartje hugged Aiko tightly, "I understand how you must feel, would you like to go back to Verbana?" Aiko shook her head, "Not really, I miss my family and all, but, I guess that the best thing for me to do is go out and be my own person, go make something of myself. I'm the daughter of Amaterasu, but that doesn't mean that I shouldn't find something for me to do other than train new Kensei." Klaartje nodded slightly, "As long as it's not war, I don't think anyone will care." Klaartje walked over to her vehicle and pulled a package from her trunk. She unwrapped it and showed it to Aiko, "This was his, so long ago, he created this thing from scratch." Aiko looked at it, expecting it to be the sniper rifle, but instead, it was a hologram projector. She tilted her head, "Does it still work?"

Klaartje pressed a button and a kitsune hologram appeared, "Good morning, Lilah." Aiko blinked slightly, "What are you?" Klaartje smiled slightly, "This is the first living AI. I'm sure you've gone over Yoshiro's work, but you never read his thesis. This is Alpha, he is an ancient AI, but he is the first truly sentient AI." Alpha's hologram looked at her, "I am unfamiliar with you, who are you?" Aiko smiled, "My name is Aiko, I am the daughter of Amaterasu." Alpha nodded, "Then you are the aunt of my father." Aiko nodded slightly, "While that is technically true, I am actually his reincarnation." Alpha nodded, "So that would make you my father?" Aiko shook her head, "No, I am not your father, he was. I am my own person and I always have been." Alpha nodded, "You look a bit worried though, what's wrong?" Aiko looked down the road, "Just parting with a friend is all..."

Klaartje nodded, "I felt this way when both Hilda and Zelda grew old enough to move out of the house. I honestly know how you feel, but he must feel the same way. He won't find the answers here, he'll find them out there." Alpha nodded, "Whoever your friend was, there's a reason why he is going out on his own. But if the two of you are true friends, you will see each other again someday, there is no doubt about it." Aiko nodded, "Thank you, the both of you." Klaartje hugged Aiko, "So where do you want to go next?" Aiko pointed up to the sky, "Second star on the right, straight on til morning." Klaartje laughed slightly, "You sound just like him when you say it like that, but I get what you mean. Come on, let's go find a shuttle."

Hiroki walked down the streets of the Eltiranan city, he had noticed that he was being followed, but he had waited to see if it would have stopped, "Can't leave me alone, can you, Queen Erika?" Hiroki turned his head around to see the Dog Tribe Queen standing there, "You seem to have a distrust of me, that's unfair, considering I have done nothing to you or your people, aside from stopping you from harming Aiko and myself." Erika growled, "I will never trust a Slinde android." Hiroki shrugged, "That's why I'm leaving your kingdom, I do not plan on returning. It would honestly be a shame if I were to live out my existence surrounded by hostility because of someone like you couldn't accept the fact that I wasn't created as a weapon of war." Erika folded her arms, "Watch your tone."

Hiroki turned around, "Why do you hate my mother?" Erika growled, "Because of your grandfather. He was a truly evil person and your mother didn't stop him." Hiroki shook his head, "Records indicate that my mother did in fact kill her father to stop him. She spent thirty years in a rehabilitation facility for her crime." Erika shook her head, "I don't care, I honestly don't. You're an android, you're capable of altering records." Hiroki shrugged, "If that is what you wish to believe, then I will not stop you from doing so. I am just telling you what the records indicate. All I wish is for you to leave me alone while I exit this kingdom." Erika looked at him, "Don't ever return." Hiroki laughed, "You make it seem like I have a reason to. I was created here, nothing more." Erika huffed, "So you don't even miss your mother?"

Hiroki shook his head and started walking, "I barely even knew her, all things considered. As an android, I am incapable of feeling love, but I am capable of simulating attraction and showing affection. Goodbye, your highness." Erika started to protest, but Hiroki kept walking away and shut off his ears so that he wouldn't have to hear her. He did miss the sounds of the birds as he kept walking. His mind started to wander and he thought of Aiko, wondering if she'd be alright with being on her own as he searched for the answers to his questions. He closed his eyes and turned on his ears, hearing a shuttle travel above him. He opened his eyes and some part of him knew that Aiko was inside the shuttle. He looked up and waved to the shuttle, a farewell for the time being as he and Aiko went their separate ways.