Trials of a Kensei(Blood, Language, Violence)

Post all your stories, poems, and haiku's here!

Moderator: Moderators

Akira110
Literary Artist

Trials of a Kensei(Blood, Language, Violence)

#1 Post by Akira110 »

This is the first story in the Cosmic Whispers Duology, Cosmic Whispers is officially no longer canon and instead this duology takes its place. For those of you who are confused as to what a duology is, don't worry, it doesn't come up. A duology is merely what a series of two fictional works is called. Anyhow, there will be spoilers for the books that chronologically come before it so usual disclaimer. If you want to completely understand the story, read One Girl in All the World, The Kindred Night, Harmony of a Hunter and Melody From the Past. Naturally this is a sequel to Melody From the Past.

Prologue

One Year after Melody from the Past

Yoshiro found himself in the thick of battle, he was alone as enemy soldiers kept pouring in. They had gotten far too close for him to use his sniper rifle and no matter how many of them he put down, two more seemed to take their place. He kept shooting nonetheless, hoping that there would be some end to this. His sub-machine gun ran out of energy and he tossed it aside, drawing his pistol and firing as the hordes kept coming towards him. It was all too soon that the hordes reached melee range and Yoshiro dropped the pistol to draw his sword and shield as he backed off. He started cutting soldier after soldier down, continuing to back away from the horde of soldiers that kept advancing upon him. He hesitated for a moment to wonder why they weren't firing at him, but turned around to see a giant fist slam into him and crush him into the ground, he heard a familiar voice call out, "You're nothing! You allowed the death of your Nakama!"

Yoshiro got angry and his armor took shape around him. With a bit of concentration, he flooded the giant full of his mana and solidified it, destroying the giant completely. Yoshiro stood up and sighed as he limped towards a door, when he felt a searing pain in his leg, forcing him to drop to one knee. He heard his own voice speak up, "Doesn't it feel great to kill? Don't you want to get revenge?" Yoshiro turned his head to see a version of him, that had glowing eyes and an aura of darkness, "I will save him... you nor anyone else will stop me!" Yoshiro grabbed the door and pushed it open as a shot pierced his lower spine, he lost all feeling in his legs. He crawled into the room and watched Rogelio speak up, "You will never hurt Lord Yoshiro." Yoshiro cried out, "Rogelio, no!" Though Yoshiro cried out, it didn't stop blood from appearing at Rogelio's chest and Rogelio falling over. Yoshiro became angry and dragged himself towards the body of his best friend, "Rogelio..."

Yoshiro turned around to see the dark version of himself standing there, a gun smoking, "You were the cause of Rogelio's death, if you hadn't been all about honor and had killed Aiko long ago, then she wouldn't have killed him. This is all your fault." Yoshiro threw a ball of light magic at the dark version of himself, but the dark version of himself knocked it away effortlessly, "You're much too weak." Yoshiro sighed and reached for one of his firearms, only to find out that they weren't there. Then he went to reach for his sword and realized he had left it back there. Yoshiro closed his eyes, "Fine, kill me, but this won't get us anywhere, you'll be just as dead as I will." Yoshiro felt a sharp pain in his shoulder and hissed in pain as the dark version of himself spoke to him, "You're pathetic, I'll only be doing you a favor." Yoshiro suddenly felt a sharp pain go through his head for a brief moment, and then suddenly nothingness.

Yoshiro bolted awake, his heart was pounding and he was breathing heavily. He had started sleeping in a separate room from Elbereth, because he kept waking her in the middle of the night with his nightmares for the past year. He looked around the room and sighed, "Another damn nightmare." He looked at his hand and closed it, "Rogelio... I don't know if I can do this. You were always there for me when I needed someone and even when I didn't want anyone there. You helped me through thick and thin and in the end, you sacrificed your life to save mine." Yoshiro tossed the covers off of him and sighed as he stood up, he was as usual in his small clothes, but he wanted to get some fresh air this night. He gathered some clothing and put them on so that he wouldn't be walking out on the town in his small clothes. He then smirked slightly as he climbed out of the window, only to find Lilah standing right outside his window, "You know, I taught you everything you know about stealth and I heard you distinctly having a nightmare again."

Yoshiro nodded, "Yeah, I fail to see your point." Lilah sighed, "Yoshiro, this [censored] is getting worse. You know I care for you and that I love you." Yoshiro nodded slightly as he looked up at the moon, it was beautiful, "I've known Rogelio for longer than I've known most people. The man has been at my side for as long as I can remember, Lilah. He swore a life debt to me and in his final moments, repaid that life debt. The man was my nakama." Lilah nodded, "I know. So what are you going to do now?" Yoshiro sighed and shrugged slightly, "I have no idea. Despite the fact that I've got people here for me, I feel alone. I think I'm going to go for a walk and then see if anyone knows what I should do next." Lilah nodded, "Alright, Yoshiro, just be careful, you know how Elbereth and Balthoron get when you risk your life..." Yoshiro nodded slightly as he started to go for his walk, "I'll be back in a couple of hours."

As Yoshiro walked through the town, his thoughts turned towards Rogelio, he couldn't stop thinking about the man and everything he had did for him. He remembered the only time that he and Rogelio had fought. All because Elena wanted to marry Harumi and Rogelio didn't want Elena to marry into the family of the man he served. Meanwhile, Yoshiro was more than happy to merge his family with Rogelio's, this caused a conflict between the two of them and Yoshiro punched Rogelio in the face, several times, before realizing that Rogelio wasn't going to hit back. He stopped and closed his eye, a single tear rolled down his cheeks, when suddenly a familiar voice spoke up, "Hey Dad, you're up late." Yoshiro yawned, "Ever since the death of your uncle, I've been sleeping worse and worse, Sven." Sven nodded, "I heard about that. I wish there was something that I could've done, you know."

Yoshiro sat down and leaned his head against a building, "There's not a day that I don't wish that I could go back and stop this from happening. I've been consumed with hatred and a desire for revenge, even though I killed the person that caused all of this to happen." Sven shook his head, "Maybe you didn't." Yoshiro looked at his vampiric son, "Come again?" Sven sighed, "Maybe you don't know who did order it, but you know you didn't get the right guy." Yoshiro nodded, "I see. Well, in that case, I'm going to have to find out who the right guy is. But before then, I'm going to have to train. But in a way that I've never done before." Sven tilted his head, "What do you mean?" Yoshiro looked at his hands, "I'm angry, full of hatred and vengeful. I desire just to kill the person who ordered the death of Rogelio. I need to learn control, so I need to go train under Erasmus." Sven nodded, "So what do you want me to tell Mom?" Yoshiro sighed, "I'll tell her, but before then, I'll finish my walk." Sven nodded, "Alright, I'll continue my patrol, you know how to reach me if you need anything." Yoshiro nodded and stood up, he sighed and then continued on his walk.
Been around this forum for over 8 years now. Everyone I've known has left, now it's my time to do the same.

Akira110
Literary Artist

Re: Breeze in the Night

#2 Post by Akira110 »

Chapter 1

Yoshiro walked back into his house, he slumped down on the couch and sighed slightly as Elbereth walked into the room, "You look like you've had a rough night. Perhaps you should go see a doctor about these nightmares." Yoshiro looked up at her, he was tired, but he tried to not show it, "I don't think a doctor can help me with this one." Elbereth shook her head and frowned, "I'm sure that a doctor can help you." Yoshiro sighed, "I already tried, saw a therapist as well. Honey, I don't know where else to turn or where else to go. Deep down inside, I feel like I didn't get the right person, I feel like I got the wrong one and I can't rest because of it. But, at the same time, I hate that fact and I just want to leave it all behind." Elbereth nodded and sat down next to him, hugging him and placing her head against his shoulder, "I know that you're going through a lot, Yoshiro, you're a soldier and you've always been one. Despite that, I've stood by your side through thick and thin, I've seen you go through bouts of PTSD before." Yoshiro nodded, her words were true.

Yoshiro looked out the window, "Sven and I talked earlier this morning, he made me realize that what I need is training." Elbereth frowned and sighed, "Physical training isn't going to help you get better, Yoshiro. You know that." Yoshiro chuckled slightly, "When did I say physical, I'm going to go train under Erasmus, he's going to teach me how to control myself." Elbereth blinked, she was surprised to hear this coming from Yoshiro, "You mean that you're going to learn how to control yourself completely?" Yoshiro nodded, "I need to get my thoughts under control, I feel my hatred building up and welling inside of me, I want to do nothing more than find the man who had Rogelio killed. But just last year, I started a war on my own against Aiko and eventually a large group of bioweapons designed by the Menschilche. The only reason that I'm still here is that Balthoron was born."

Elbereth nodded, she was thankful for that, "So when are you going to leave?" Yoshiro sighed, "Immediately if I can, I can get rock climbing equipment in the city, I'm going to have to climb the mountain to get there." Elbereth removed her head from his shoulder and looked him in the eye, "Why not take Julius with you?" Yoshiro sighed, "Because, Erasmus has potential students scale the mountain on their own ability. I have to prove to him that I'm worth taking on as a student." Elbereth nodded slightly, and Yoshiro smiled at her, "Don't worry, Lilah will be here to protect you and Balthoron if something happens." Elbereth nodded, "I know, but how long do you think that you'll be gone?" Yoshiro shook his head, "I haven't a clue. It could be days, it could be weeks, months or even years. It depends on how long it ultimately takes to finish my training." Elbereth nodded, "Alright, but you'll come visit from time to time, yes?"

Yoshiro nodded and grabbed her chin lightly, kissing her on the lips, "Of course, my love. Balthoron still needs a father figure in his life and being away from home for long periods of time makes me get lonely." Elbereth giggled and nodded, "I'm glad to hear that, Yoshiro." Yoshiro stood up as Elbereth let go of him, before he could turn around, a young blue haired Kilf walked into the room, "Daddy?" Yoshiro walked over to the Kilf and knelt down before him, "Hey, Balthoron. Look, I got to go away for a little while, okay?" Balthoron nodded, "Where are you going, Daddy?" Yoshiro thought of a way to describe this, as Balthoron didn't know about Erasmus, "Um, you know about the dragon that your uncle Walthari keeps talking about?" Balthoron nodded, "Of course, Daddy."

Yoshiro nodded, "Well, I'm going to go train under that Dragon. He's going to teach me how to be more in control of myself and be a better man." Balthoron nodded, "You'll come back to see us, right?" Yoshiro nodded, "Of course." Yoshiro then took his wedding ring necklace off and handed it to Balthoron, "Here, keep this close, alright. If you treasure it and keep it safe, you'll have a big reward when I finish my training and come back, alright?" Balthoron nodded, "Okay, Daddy." Yoshiro hugged his son, who hugged him back, "I love you, Daddy." Yoshiro scratched his son's head, behind Balthoron's ears, "I love you too, son." Balthoron's tail wagged as the spot behind his ears was scratched, but soon, Yoshiro let go, "Balthoron, be good for your mother and your Aunt Lilah. Alright?"

Balthoron nodded, "Of course, Daddy!" Yoshiro smirked slightly, "Well, I think it's time that I head out now." Balthoron waved, "Good bye, Daddy." Elbereth looked at him, "Take care, Yoshiro and please stay safe. Remember, I love you." Yoshiro nodded, "I will, and I love you too." Yoshiro stood up and turned to exit the house. As he walked out of the house, he saw a green dragon standing there. The green dragon tilted his head and spoke up, "Si nymuer batobot wux re gethrisjir ios ve." Yoshiro nodded, "I am." The dragon sighed, "Kii ui nomeno?" Yoshiro looked up at the sky, "Because Erasmus requires all of his students to use their own ability to get up the mountain, or that's what Walthari told me." The dragon nodded, "Wer ominak batobot wux renthisj ultroi hefoc si jalla vucot coi."

Yoshiro smirked slightly, "Because, Julius, Erasmus is your cousin." Julius blinked in disbelief, "Batobot Erasmus? Wer ir batobot ui wer deevdru di Tiamat?" Yoshiro nodded, "Yes." Julius stood up and readied his wings to fly, "Si geou gethrisj ekess jacion, re wux jaunus batobot wux tir ti huven ihk sia letoclo itrewicir svern wer verthicha?" Yoshiro nodded, "I'm perfectly sure, Julius. If you wish to go to your cousin, that's your business, not mine. I'm going to him in order to learn how to control myself and trust me, this isn't the first time I have had to climb a mountain." Julius nodded and flew off towards the mountain in question, leaving Yoshiro behind. Yoshiro smirked slightly and laughed a bit, before he started working towards the mountain himself, it was going to be a trip that would last a few days, but in the end, it would all be worth it.
Been around this forum for over 8 years now. Everyone I've known has left, now it's my time to do the same.

Akira110
Literary Artist

#3 Post by Akira110 »

Chapter 2

Yoshiro looked up at the last bit of mountain he had left to go, he had spent the last two days trying to get up this mountain, having set up base camps in order to rest and sleep. He was exhausted, but this was important to him. His dream to learn how to control himself was strong and his pride wouldn't let him stop. He grunted in pain as he pulled himself up to the next handhold and stopped for a moment, breathing hard, the cold and thinner air not doing him any favors. When he felt ready, he pulled himself up to the next handhold, grunting in pain again. His body was sore, but he knew it was too late to turn back now, as letting go would only spell his own death. He grabbed the ground at the top of the mountain, which formed a cliff and pulled himself up enough to see the monastery, "Almost. Ngh! There." He placed his other hand on the rock and started to pull himself up, when a Silver Dragon walked over to him, "Why didn't you use the path?"

Yoshiro sighed as he pulled himself onto the cliff and just laid down on it, "Because I wanted... I wanted to... hold on, got to catch my breath." The Silver Dragon nodded, "Take your time. Bruno, Walthari, can you come over to help me?" Walthari walked over to the Silver Dragon, "Sure thing Master Erasmus... wait, Yoshiro, you climbed the entire mountain by yourself?" Yoshiro looked up at his younger brother, "I'd give you a smartass response, but I'm too exhausted to move at this point." A rather large Lupine walked over and chuckled, "Now that's something I never expected to see, you climbing a mountain, Yoshiro." Yoshiro just laid there, "Believe me, if I didn't have my own reasons, I wouldn't." Yoshiro grabbed at the ground and pulled himself towards Walthari, with difficulty and pain, "Mind helping me up, brother?" Walthari grabbed Yoshiro's hand and knelt down, helping Yoshiro stand back up, "Well, Master Erasmus, you think that he should train with us?"

Erasmus smirked, "Well, he climbed all the way up here on his own, it'd be rude not to give him a place to stay, but we don't even know what he wants." Yoshiro sighed, "I want him back. But I can't have him back." Erasmus looked mildly confused, "So this is why you ducked out of training and stopped calling me Master Erasmus." Yoshiro nodded, "I thought I had a grip on everything, our training was always one on one, but now... I've come here to train, to learn how to control myself. I'm through coping, I'm a sniper. That means I kill people, but that doesn't mean that I can't have regrets. Even so..." Yoshiro looked up at the sky, "Rogelio's death has affected me in an extremely profound way, I feel completely empty. There's really no other way to explain it."

Erasmus nodded, "He was your best friend." Yoshiro shook his head, "He was my Nakama. We were closer than that. When I got my revenge last year, I felt empty. However, lately, I've been feeling like I didn't get the right person. Rogelio's killer is still out there, and I feel obligated to kill them." Erasmus nodded, "Walthari, take him inside, I'll talk with Bruno and we'll make a decision." Walthari nodded, "Alright, Master Erasmus." Walthari took Yoshiro into the Monastery, "It's a great place, not much technology, except for what we need. We've got peace and quiet, as no one really bothers us up here and all the food you could ever want." Yoshiro looked down at the floor and Walthari looked at him, "Something wrong, Yoshiro?" Yoshiro sighed, "Nah, just tired, little brother. Last time I slept well was a year ago, plus I just climbed a mountain, so that exacerbated that issue greatly."

Walthari took Yoshiro to a bedchamber and placed him in the bed, "Rest up, Big Brother, I'll be by your side this time." Yoshiro nodded slightly, "It's funny, you see so many people die, that it seems to hardly affect you. Then the right person dies and immediately, it's like being stabbed through the heart. The pain just never seems to end, you know. Honestly, I envy the humans, their short lifespans ensure that they don't have to deal with this kind of pain for too long." Walthari sighed, "It's not like you to contemplate suicide." Yoshiro scoffed, "Never said, nor implied that I was, I just said that for all of the disadvantages that they seem to have, it's one thing I envy about them. Verbanan Races live hundreds if not thousands of years, by the time a human gets through with their life, a Kitsune will be entering adulthood."

Walthari nodded slightly, "I understand big brother. How's Mom and Dad been doing?" Yoshiro sighed, "I don't know, I never bothered to go to the Kitsune Kingdom to check. Masaru and I aren't exactly friends, you know." Walthari folded his arms, "You and Masaru were never on good terms, even back during the civil war." Yoshiro nodded, he remembered disliking Prince Masaru because of the Prince's arrogant attitude, "He's a prick, that's about the gist of why I dislike him." Walthari nodded, "And he's quite afraid of you, Yoshiro. You have a reputation, one that draws soldiers to you, or do you not remember the war that you kicked off a year ago to avenge the death of Rogelio." Yoshiro looked away, "I remember, quite well in fact. Most people just joined me, I barely ever needed to ask them."

Walthari nodded slightly, "Masaru is afraid of that, Yoshiro. It's why he doesn't like you. Also before you ask, I seriously doubt that he had anything to do with the death of Rogelio. He might be afraid of you, but he's not stupid. Masaru will not take any action against you." Yoshiro nodded, "At least that's a load off my mind, wouldn't be able to deal with the Kitsune Imperial Army breathing down my neck." Suddenly the door opened and Erasmus walked into the room, "Yoshiro, Bruno and I have deliberated. Though this is considered a sacred Lupine mountain, you will be allowed to remain here and train with us. However, I expressly forbid you to train in your current state, rest and recuperate, then you will be given time to get adjusted. Once that's finished, we'll begin your training." Yoshiro nodded, "Thank you, sir." Erasmus shook his head, "Thank Bruno instead."

Akira110
Literary Artist

#4 Post by Akira110 »

Chapter 3

Yoshiro walked out of the monastery, it had been a week since he had arrived and the sun was just about to rise. He was the only person awake at the moment to his knowledge. The cold of the air permeated his fur and he shivered a bit. He walked over to a cliff and sat down to watch the horizon as the sun started to rise, he had no idea of what training would await him, but he did know for a fact it would help him. He smiled slightly as the sun finally rose over the horizon, between being a sniper, a soldier and a father, he didn't have much time to be able to take notice of the simpler and finer things in life, like a sunrise. He heard the crunching of the snow and spoke up as he picked up the scent, "Hey Bruno." Bruno chuckled, "How'd you know it was me, Yoshiro, I could've been anyone else."

Yoshiro smirked, "You're no Lilah." Bruno nodded, "You're up early." Yoshiro didn't look away from the sunrise, "I'm ex-military, Bruno. I used to not sleep for days on end. Waking up a little early to see the sun rise isn't exactly something new for me. But it is something that I wish I got to do more." Bruno nodded, "I understand, it can be hard on you. By the way, I know of your history." Yoshiro laughed, "Everyone does, it's not like my dossier is exactly classified. Though some things were heavily redacted." Bruno nodded, "Understandable, like what?" Yoshiro looked down, "I've done some things that I regret more than others. Sometimes, because of bad intel, I wind up getting the wrong guy. I put a hole through the head of someone who wasn't even supposed to be my target in the first place and I drop an innocent."

Bruno looked at him, "I know the military wasn't perfect, but... you're saying you actually took the shot." Yoshiro nodded, "Bruno, I was and still technically am a Sniper. I cannot just make my enemies into something lesser, into some mindless beasts. I see the person on the other side of that scope clearly, by the time that is going on, I've gone over their entire dossier. I know their spouse, their kids, their parents, their siblings, aunts, uncles, cousins, pets. Where they live. I even know their favorite food, because sometimes, the best shot is when someone is going to the kitchen. Doesn't happen often, but there's been a couple of those. The point is, the person on the wrong end of my rifle is a person and I cannot envision them as anything less. I see the horror of the people around them as my target drops to the ground, dead."

Bruno shook his head, "So you understand that you kill people, so why then do you do it?" Yoshiro shrugged, "It's literally what I'm good at. One could mistake me for a Deathblood or a Warblood, but I am neither of those. At first, I had to try to justify my actions, I had to convince myself to squeeze the trigger and end a life. But now? I see my target, I end my target, I head to extraction point. No questions asked, no hesitation. Effectively, I have become an assassin." Bruno shook his head again, "Assassins will kill civilian targets, you only kill military targets." Yoshiro nodded, "That's true." Bruno chuckled, "Also you regret this lifestyle, that's why you're here, is it not?" Yoshiro nodded slightly, "It is, Bruno, I'm not going to lie. Every time I close my eyes, I can see the faces of people who died by my hand."

Bruno nodded, "And you wish for that to stop." Yoshiro shook his head, "Nothing will make it stop, Bruno. At this point, my hands are no longer covered in blood, I'm drowning in it. The only thing I can do now is attempt to divert the course that my life is taking and try to make the world a better place for the people in it. But the thing is, I don't know how and as consumed with hatred and rage as I am, I am not fit to do so. So I figure, better to be here, than out there, where I could hurt someone." A familiar voice spoke up, "Those are wise words from someone so young." Yoshiro turned around to see a humanoid reptilian with dark gray scales standing behind him, "Ah, Bruno, I'd like you to meet my adoptive great-grandfather, Bahamut, king of the Verbanan dragons."

Bruno nodded, "It's nice to meet you, sir. Master Erasmus has told me quite a lot about you." Bahamut smirked, "Did he now?" Bruno nodded, "One of the things is that you're his uncle." Bahamut nodded, "I haven't spoken to my sister in over two thousand years now, though I've kept in contact with my Nephew." Bruno nodded, "So why are you here this time?" Yoshiro was curious about that same exact thing, "Yeah great-grandpa, what are you doing here?" Bahamut sighed and looked towards the horizon, "Verbana is evolving and changing. I think Verbana might be ready for the secrets that Erasmus protects on this mountain. He has been the guardian of this place for as long as Dragons have been here. It's why your people consider it a sacred mountain, Bruno."

Bruno nodded slightly, "I know about said secret, Erasmus showed it to me once." Bahamut blinked and raised his voice, "Erasmus did what!?" Bruno stood his ground, "Erasmus trusts me, he knew I wouldn't share what I saw with anyone." Yoshiro shrugged, "It's rather obvious that the Dragons came from off world, great-grandfather. No archaeological evidence proves that Dragons were on Verbanan until around 2500 years ago." Bahamut was shocked, "It has been nearly a quarter of a lifespan for a normal dragon. I see." Yoshiro stood up, "If the two of you will excuse me, I've got to get ready for my morning chores. Then on to training." Bruno nodded and allowed Yoshiro to pass, when Yoshiro was out of earshot, he spoke to Bahamut, "I swear to you that until you and the other dragons decide to reveal it, I will not speak to a single soul about the secret." Bahamut nodded, "Erasmus trusts you." then the dragon shook his head, "But I don't. If you speak a word of it, you may spell disaster for Verbana." Bruno nodded, knowing of the dangers of allowing an unprepared people to get their hands on technology that was past their level, "I am aware."

Akira110
Literary Artist

#5 Post by Akira110 »

Chapter 4

Yoshiro looked at his brother and smiled, "Hey Walthari, this is a rather nice place." Walthari nodded, "Yeah, I know." Yoshiro folded his arms, "So what's today's training?" Walthari shook his head, "I'm a student, Master Erasmus will be giving you your training." Yoshiro nodded and looked at the door to Erasmus' room, "I wonder if he's trying to teach me patience or something?" Walthari shook his head, "He wouldn't do anything such as that, but for now, I want you to try to remember, you're a new student here." Erasmus walked out of his room and yawned slightly, "Good morning, Yoshiro and Walthari, I see the two of you are up. As for your starting training, you've already climbed the mountain, but Yoshiro, I want to teach you how to meditate. Walthari, your training will be to meditate and find your inner self, make peace with the berserker inside of you." Walthari nodded slightly, "Yes, Master." Walthari left and Yoshiro looked at Erasmus, "I never learned how to meditate before."

Erasmus nodded, "Follow me." Erasmus led Yoshiro into a chamber where he had set up a zen garden, "Sit in the middle." Yoshiro nodded and walked over to the middle of the garden, sitting down. Erasmus shook his head, "Cross legged." Yoshiro nodded and crossed his legs. Erasmus spoke up, "Close your eyes, Yoshiro." Yoshiro closed his eyes, as Erasmus told him to do, and Erasmus continued, "Now concentrate on your breathing to start." Yoshiro started to focus on his breathing, as he breathed in and out, he felt himself become more and more relaxed. Erasmus spoke up, "Now that you have relaxed, I want you to look inward, Yoshiro, try to focus on a point inside of yourself." Yoshiro started to focus inward, reflecting, but the image of Rogelio's corpse floated in his mind and he lost his concentration.

Erasmus took notice of this, "Yoshiro, something is distracting you." Yoshiro's heart raced as anger welled up inside of him, but he tried to focus on his breathing again. As he breathed in and out, he focused inward again, this time something new came to surface. It was him striking Kauko down and he opened his eyes, "I cannot do it right now, my mind keeps getting distracted by the losses in my past." Erasmus nodded, "You need to push those to the back of your mind, Yoshiro. I know that you have regrets and those are always important, but right now, you are here to learn how to control yourself." Yoshiro nodded, "I know, but... I'll try again." As Yoshiro focused on his breathing again and he closed his eyes, he turned his focus inward. At first there was nothing, but then Yoshiro saw himself, broken and battered, floating in a tank. He opened his eyes again, "This time I saw me."

Erasmus sighed, "This is going to prove to be far more difficult than I anticipated, alright, we're going to try a different approach. Yoshiro, do you know what a psionic void is?" Yoshiro nodded, "Yes, it's someone who is immune to psionic abilities and projects a field that negates them." Erasmus shook his head, "You're a psion, Yoshiro. It is your psionic power that is doing this. I'm psionic myself and I cannot sense you despite you being right in front of me." Yoshiro blinked, "I do not understand." Erasmus sighed, "Yoshiro, your power is innate, you were born with it active, like all psionic voids. But a psionic void's power uniquely affects their magic adversely if they have access to magic. While you have the protection up, you cannot naturally use magic."

Yoshiro nodded, he didn't quite understand completely and Erasmus continued, "You're an untrained psionic, which is why you're having issues right now. Both magic users and psions have an awakening and you've gone through two of them without any training. Thanks to your psionic power, you've been able to skirt by without having been trained magically, but right now, your psionic ability is starting to bite you in the [censored]. A psion's mind is far more vulnerable than a normal person's mind, and a psionic void's is even more so. It's a miracle that your mind hasn't started to break down sooner than it did." Yoshiro nodded, "So, Master Erasmus, what are we going to focus on." Erasmus sighed, "Most importantly, how to control your psionic ability, but once you learn that, you're going to become a danger, so you'll have to train your magic as well."

Yoshiro nodded, "So what do I do?" Erasmus sighed, "At the moment, I have no idea, I've never trained a Psionic Void, I know Mom has, but she and I haven't spoken since I left. Uncle Bahamut might have, he might be able to give me some pointers." Yoshiro looked at Erasmus, "You and your mother haven't spoken since you left? How long was that?" Erasmus sighed, "I wasn't even a fully grown dragon when I came to Verbana. When Dad died, I got upset and wanted to leave, I tried to convince Stephanus to leave as well. Though he wanted to leave, he told me that one of us would have to stay as our little sister wasn't capable of leading the Dragons in our father's stead. He then pulled out a coin, and said, 'Erasmus, we're going to flip a coin. If heads, you get to go free and do what you want, if tails, it's me that gets to go free.' He then flipped the coin."

Yoshiro nodded, "Came up on heads, didn't it?" Erasmus nodded, "Yes, quite obviously, but here's the kicker. It was a two headed coin, one side was him, the other side was me. Stephanus used a trick coin to let me follow my own destiny and lead my own life. I owe him so much, but... I'm estranged from my family. I love them and I always have, but... I just don't get to see them." A voice that Yoshiro and Erasmus recognized spoke up, "Now, Erasmus, you know that isn't true." Yoshiro turned to see a figure that looked like Erasmus, except with bronze eyes, gold scales and blond hair standing there, "Stephanus, what a surprise to see you here." Stephanus walked over to Erasmus, "I'm sorry, Erasmus, I don't get a lot of time to see you, but I do check up on you from time to time. For this entire month, I'm free, so I came here." Erasmus nodded, "Thank you Stephanus. Yoshiro, I'm going to go ask Uncle Bahamut for pointers to train you. Alright?" Yoshiro nodded and Erasmus walked out of the room.

Akira110
Literary Artist

#6 Post by Akira110 »

Chapter 5

Erasmus walked through his monastery looking for his uncle Bahamut, when he couldn't find his uncle, he began to wonder how he could lose a dragon like Bahamut, who happens to be much larger than he is. Annoyed, he finally decided to go outside and saw his uncle in his Dragon form. He sighed slightly and entered his own dragon form, the smaller silver dragon looked up at the large dark gray dragon, "Uncle Bahamut, I need to seek your advice." Bahamut looked at him, "It's to train the Psionic Void, isn't it?" Erasmus nodded and Bahamut sighed, "You cannot train him in this monastery, not as he is now. His grandmother has a shrine near here, it's considered a holy monument by his people. No one steps foot there, mainly because of Frederick." Erasmus nodded slightly, "And then what do I do when I get there?"

Bahamut sighed, "Tiamat really never taught you much, did she?" Erasmus shook his head, "Mother favored Stephanus more than she favored me." Bahamut shook his head, "My sister and I didn't get along and we didn't agree, leading to us not talking ever since we landed on our respective worlds, but I know my sister isn't the kind of woman to treat her kids unequal." Erasmus walked over to the cliff and sat down, "She and Father had groomed him to be the king of the Eltiranan dragons, ever since the two of us hatched from our eggs, all because he hatched minutes before I did. But..." Erasmus looked down, "Seeing him again, he carries an air of regality that I can't comprehend." Bahamut nodded slightly, "Getting off track, but that's because you've not been in the court of a Dragon for over a thousand years."

Erasmus looked up, "Agreed, so, Uncle Bahamut, how does one train a Psionic Void?" Bahamut chuckled, "It's simpler than most Psionics, Erasmus. You're teaching them to shut off their power, rather than control it. In the case of Yoshiro, you'll also have to teach him how to properly use his magic. But that's also why you're going to be at that shrine with him, the ease of being there will make him relax. Plus the waterfall is a great place for him to preform a cleansing ritual, which will make it even easier for him to train." Erasmus nodded, "I understand, before I go, can we talk for a bit?" Bahamut nodded, "Sure thing, nephew. What is it that you wish to talk about." Erasmus sighed, "What was my father like?" Bahamut was surprised at the question, "W-what?" Erasmus sighed, "I've been training myself for so long, so that I can protect Stephanus, that I've forgotten my own father."

Bahamut sighed, "Your father was a great warrior, Erasmus. Now when someone hears great warrior, the first thing that usually pops into their mind is the idea of a soldier who is great at killing. But no, a truly great warrior is one who knows how to put down his weapons and enjoy the peace that they have earned. Your father also knew how to negotiate and was the one critical in getting a peace treaty between the Dragons and Menschilche back in the day. He was also a Dragon that enjoyed the finer things in life, such as theater and the arts. In fact, where he met my sister was in an art gallery. The two of them were patrons of the arts and hit it off soon after. Though not long after that, Tiamat and I had a disagreement that ended up splitting our species in two."

Erasmus nodded slightly, "My father became sick and died shortly after I turned one hundred and fifty. I was still a young dragon when I came to this world." Bahamut nodded, "He was a good friend of mine, it saddens me that he did not see this era of peace that reigns over the galaxy now." Erasmus nodded as a Pale Gold Dragon walked out, "Father always spoke highly of you, Uncle." Erasmus turned to look at the dragon, "Stephanus, I thought you were hanging out in my monastery." Stephanus nodded, "I was, then I saw you and Uncle Bahamut standing out here, talking." Erasmus nodded, "I need to go train my students, the two of you can go talk with each other." As Erasmus started walking back, he shifted back into his Eltiranan form, but Stephanus turned around to look at him, "Is something wrong, brother?" Erasmus shook his head, "Other than the fact that Yoshiro is effectively at this moment a disaster waiting to happen, nothing."

Stephanus nodded and Erasmus walked back into his monastery, he looked for Yoshiro and found the Kitsune in his room, Yoshiro turned to look at him, "Hey Master Erasmus, I've just been waiting here for you to get back. I went ahead and did some basic duties before I came here though." Erasmus nodded, "Good, you're helping out around here, but for right now, you're going to have to leave the monastery and go to a shrine that your grandmother has in these mountains." Yoshiro nodded, "I know of that shrine, we call it San Shinsha, it translates to Sun Shrine. It's forbidden by Kitsune law to step foot in there without the bloodline of Amaterasu." Erasmus nodded, "So you've never stepped foot there despite the fact that you are her grandson?" Yoshiro shrugged, "I never gave it any thought really."

Erasmus nodded, "We'll fly there. By the way, no transforming into your Fennikkusu form. It'll mess with your training." Yoshiro nodded, "So I'm going to ride on your back?" Erasmus nodded, "That's about right." Erasmus led Yoshiro outside and turned into his dragon form once more, Yoshiro climbed onto his back and Erasmus took flight, "So what do you know of this shrine?" Yoshiro shook his head, "Aside from the legends, nothing. Rumors say that Grandmother was born there, but there's no real concrete evidence. I do know that she goes back there from time to time." Erasmus nodded, "I see. Well, Uncle Bahamut said that it would be a great place for you to train as you'd feel more safe. Bruno and Walthari have mentioned that they use a nearby waterfall to meditate and can feel some sort of mana coming from the shrine." Yoshiro nodded, "Alright, I guess I'll try that then."

Akira110
Literary Artist

#7 Post by Akira110 »

Chapter 6

Yoshiro watched as Erasmus landed within the holy area of the Kitsune, he felt a bit nervous as he had never come here before, but could strongly smell his grandmother's scent in the area. Erasmus spoke up, "Amaterasu is here." Yoshiro looked around, "I know, there are also Kensei here. Strange, non-sun bloods aren't allowed up here." Yoshiro climbed off Erasmus and felt the point of a sword at his back. He heard a voice speak up, "Who dares trespass on this sacred ground?" Yoshiro started to turn his head to get a look at the person, but felt the point jab deeper, "Ow! You don't need to [censored] kill me. I'm a Kensei, just like you." The person spoke up, her voice bitter, "Tell me who you are, or I will." Erasmus looked back at the person, "Two things. One, he's a sunblood, Yoshiro Miyamae, grandson of Amaterasu Sano. Two, Threaten him again and I will bite you in half, are we clear?"

Yoshiro felt the sword be removed from his back and the voice speak up, "Crystal." Yoshiro turned around to look at the woman, "Who are you?" The woman replied, "If you are truly the grandson of my ancestor, then I am your cousin, Aimi." Yoshiro nodded and heard Amaterasu's voice speak up, "Erasmus, this is truly a surprise, and... Yoshiro!" Yoshiro watched as Amaterasu walked over to him and he was drawn to her. The two of them embraced each other in a hug and Yoshiro looked into the eyes of his grandmother, "Grandmother, I hope you don't mind if we train here." Amaterasu looked at him, "Of course not, you're my grandson and you've always been welcome to come here, you just never did. Your clone is training here as well to learn how to control her magic, you know, she would be happy to help you."

Yoshiro nodded, "I'm learning how to control my psionic ability, how to turn it off and on at will, but when I do, I'll have to learn how to control my magic. Master Erasmus thought that I could benefit from being here." Amaterasu nodded, "Hmmm... I think I know of a way to help you. I'll go get it." Amaterasu let go of Yoshiro and walked into the shrine, Yoshiro looked at Aimi, "So uh, why did you threaten my life earlier?" Aimi shrugged, "I thought you were some sort of bandit." Yoshiro looked at her with a look of disbelief on his face, "Bandits and Dragons get along as well as trees falling down on a person. Besides, I look like a male version of my great-grandmother. I'm really hard to miss as being a sun blood, you know." Aimi shrugged, "Everyone says that you ride on the back of a Green Dragon, not a Silver one."

Yoshiro shrugged, "Well, simple, Julius is still at the Monastery. He's willing to wait there, because his great-grandfather is there and his cousin will be returning for a bit after he teaches me how to control my psionic power." Aimi looked at him, "So you're an experiment?" Yoshiro shook his head, "The Menschilche left this planet before I was born, I think my Mom or Dad was experimented on to create Hiroshi and the resulting imbalance is what made me psionic." Aimi nodded, "It was your father if I recall correctly, young one, both he and Mamoru were known as excellent soldiers, your father even moreso. Your father..." Amaterasu walked out of the shrine and looked at Aimi, who stopped talking and Yoshiro turned to look at her, "My father was what?" Amaterasu held a sword that Yoshiro recognized from the sheath alone, "Kusanagi-no-Tsurugi... known in common as Grass-cutter."

Amaterasu nodded, "Aimi, it's best that Yoshiro doesn't learn the truth of his father just yet, his mind is still in a fragile state. Here, take my sword, it'll react to your Mana. Your blood is very strong, it should accept you." Yoshiro shook his head, "But I am not worthy of holding such a magnificent artifact." Amaterasu frowned, "It'll keep you calm and more receptive to your training, Yoshiro. I'm not asking you to go fight with this blade." Yoshiro's hand reached out to the hilt, slowly. He could feel the blade's mana connect with his and withdrew his hand. Amaterasu sighed, "Yoshiro, grab the sword, please." Yoshiro closed his eyes and grabbed the sheath of the sword, he felt the mana within the sword surge through him, temporarily replacing his own flow of Mana. When he opened his eyes, he saw a faint glow of light and he gasped slightly, but his hand wouldn't let go of the blade, "What's happening?"

Amaterasu nodded, "It has accepted you, this sword will help you with Erasmus' training. It'll keep your mind off of your pain, Yoshiro. This will be your companion through the rest of this chapter in your life. But keep in mind, this sword has never drawn blood and it will not allow you to use it in combat." Yoshiro nodded, "May I draw it." Yoshiro's free hand grabbed the hilt, and Amaterasu didn't give an answer, the Mana within the blade gave a warm feeling in Yoshiro's chest, as if to say yes. Yoshiro pulled on the white hilt to draw a straight edged sword, which also had a white blade. Yoshiro was astounded by the fact that the blade had remained untouched by time, "Amazing, this sword is older than I am, but yet... it's so well maintained that it appears to have been untouched by time, even the blade is as sharp as it would've been if it was forged." Amaterasu nodded, "I maintain the blade nearly every day."

Yoshiro sheathed the blade and placed it in his belt, "I promise to take great care of it, Grandmother." Amaterasu pulled Yoshiro's head down and kissed him on the forehead, "I know you will, Grandson. You're a kensei with my blood flowing strongly in your veins. The sword's mana is strong and has already mixed with your own, so there are things it can stop you from doing, like using it to hurt someone." Yoshiro nodded, "How does it do that?" Amaterasu sighed, "You don't know a lot about Mana. Well, it'll create a barrier that will stop your arm from moving. It cannot directly control you, but it can indirectly stop you from doing something it doesn't like." Yoshiro nodded, "So the sword is a living creature?" Amaterasu shook her head, "No, but the blade was infused with my desire, so it'll act on that desire. Now run along and go train with Erasmus, I look forward to the day when you're ready to be trained by me."

Akira110
Literary Artist

#8 Post by Akira110 »

Chapter 7

Yoshiro sighed as he took off his shirt and tossed it aside, his chest and arms were covered in faded scars, something that Erasmus took note of, "You've seen your fair share of battles, Yoshiro." Yoshiro nodded and ran his finger across one in particular, "I remember this one, I got this one from when I had put Aiko into a coma. She stabbed me and pulled the knife down." Erasmus nodded and Yoshiro sighed, "So what do we do from here?" Erasmus shook his head, "Meditate under that waterfall, with the sword in your hands, focusing on opening your mind until your it opens. You'll know when you're done when Amaterasu comes for you. I'm sorry, Yoshiro, but she can train you in magic far better than I can, until you learn how to control that, I cannot teach you anymore." Yoshiro nodded, "So that's it, Master Erasmus?" Erasmus nodded, "I'll be back in a week to see how well you've been progressing. Since you've been using magic artificially, it should be easier for you to adjust to using it naturally."

Yoshiro walked under the waterfall, he could feel the pressure start pushing him down, but he didn't falter. He saw down and watched as Erasmus flew away and he closed his eyes, pulling out Kusanagi. He placed the sword in his lap and felt the mana of the blade travel towards his head as he focused inward on opening his mind. As he sat there, the world became a very quiet place, for the first time in his entire life, there was a sense of peace, of tranquility. He wasn't worried if someone was going to get hurt or die. He was no longer fighting against anything, even himself. As he felt the waterfall pound down on his shoulders, it started to feel as if he was under cleansing waters, which less flowed onto him and more flowed through his entire body, his mind and even down to his very soul.

Though he could focus on his breathing, he soon stopped that, as through Kusanagi, he fell into a trance. He felt as if he was floating within an ocean, when he suddenly saw someone he barely recognized, when he reached out to the person, the person looked away, "You're scary." Yoshiro nodded, "I know. Turn around, I want to see you." The kid turned around and looked at him with ice blue eyes, "Who are you?" Yoshiro frowned, "I'm you. I have to say, I never gave much stock to the whole inner child thing, but this is extremely literal." The child version of him nodded, "I've seen everything you've done, I've seen the kind of man you have become. And what you're fighting against." Yoshiro looked at his hand, "I know, it's hard, but..." Yoshiro turned around and saw the dark version of him standing there.

The dark version of him held up a gun and Yoshiro pushed the kid out of the way, to get shot in the chest. Blood started to soak the white fur of his chest and he fell to the ground, coughing up blood. The dark version of him walked over to him, "You're weak, you've always been weak." Yoshiro laughed, coughing up more blood, "I fight for the people I choose to protect, for my friends, my family and for my peoples." Yoshiro felt his wound start to close up and he stood back up, "I hate what I do, I always have, but I've always done it to prevent someone else from doing it. I'm the Grim Reaper so that nobody else has to be, meanwhile, you're nothing more than a piece of [censored]!" The dark version of him shot him in the head and Yoshiro fell backwards, only to stop and rise back up, the Dark version of him sneered, "You're only able to do this because of Kusanagi."

Yoshiro grabbed his dark version and hugged him, "Maybe so, but I've always had friends and allies. You and I need each other, we balance each other out and keep ourselves from creating an imbalance. You're the manifestation of my anger, my hatred, and my regret. I need that regret to keep going." The dark version of him shoved him away, "Get away from me, this battle isn't over and you know it. The only way this will be settled is if you beat me in battle, on your own." As the dark version of him walked away, the child version of him looked up and then morphed into someone completely different, "You've passed the first test, Yoshiro." Yoshiro looked at the woman, "Katriina?" Katriina nodded, "Your mind is open, I'm able to communicate with you from the other side while you're in this trance."

Yoshiro nodded, "Is there any way that I can see you in the real world, not some sort of trance?" Katriina nodded, "Though I cannot interfere with events, you would be able to see and communicate with me if Emiko got involved somehow, though you would need to convince her to allow this to happen." Yoshiro nodded, "So, if you cannot interfere, then why are you testing me?" Katriina shook her head, "I was only told to tell you if you passed the test, this test was devised by Emiko over fifty years ago." Yoshiro blinked, "Wait, what?" Katriina sighed, "Emiko is the deity of Death and Time, Yoshiro. She knew what effect that Rogelio's death was going to have on you and created this test, she charged me with telling you if you passed it or not. The rest of the tests are up to you."

Yoshiro nodded, but felt himself get dragged away, "Wait, I got so many questions." Katriina nodded, "I know, but Amaterasu is here to wake you up." Yoshiro slowly broke out of the trance, the first thing he felt was the water return to flowing over him, the next thing he got back was his hearing. He opened his eyes and saw Amaterasu standing there. He stood up and walked out of the waterfall, Amaterasu frowned at the amount of scar tissue on his body, "I haven't seen this many scars since the last time my sister spent the night. At any rate, your mana is unlocked for natural use, and will remain so until you close your mind back up and create a psionic void again." Yoshiro nodded, "So, now you're going to train me how to use magic?" Amaterasu shook her head, "No, now you're going to dry off. When that's done, we're going to have a lunch, and you're going to get used to your new situation. Tomorrow, we'll train." Yoshiro nodded, "Alright, Grandmother."

Akira110
Literary Artist

#9 Post by Akira110 »

Chapter 8

Yoshiro sighed as he put on dry clothing, "I wish I had brought a change of clothes." Amaterasu chuckled, "To be honest, I half expected you to be sneezing right now, that waterfall isn't exactly noted as being warm." Yoshiro nodded, "Half-arctic, remember, my Dad's a full arctic Kitsune. Speaking of which, that secret about my father, what is it?" Amaterasu shook her head, "No, not until you get better." Yoshiro sighed, "Grandmother, I would like to know more about my father from before I was born, he doesn't talk that much about it." Amaterasu shook her head and poked him in the head with her finger, "Until you get better in here, I refuse to tell you and don't give me those baby kit eyes, Yoshiro. They may work on my daughter, but they won't work on me." Yoshiro sighed and nodded as he looked out of the window, "Fine. You... you win." Amaterasu blinked, "I was expecting that to be harder to coax out of you, I'm proud of you, Yoshiro."

Yoshiro sighed, "You're what? Four, five times my age?" Amaterasu laughed, "Well over that, young one, but... I digress. Yoshiro, I love you, I don't want to see you get hurt and I don't like the fact that you've followed in your other ancestor's footsteps." Yoshiro blinked, "Your sister?" Amaterasu nodded, "Suzume is here if you would like to meet her." Yoshiro looked at his hand and felt it ball into a fist, before he knew it, he threw it at the wall, but a barrier formed in front of his hand and Amaterasu spoke sternly, "No damaging the walls, Yoshiro. You can punch my sister, but not the walls, are we clear?" Yoshiro nodded, "I understand." Amaterasu called out, "Suzume, you've wanted to meet him for the longest time, didn't you?" Yoshiro didn't turn around, but he heard a voice call out, "Hey kiddo, hear you've been having..." Yoshiro coldly spoke up, "I want nothing to do with you, deity of war."

Suzume spoke up, "Ha, I expected as much, but I wasn't here to incite violence, this is the first time I've been able to meet you, your..." Amaterasu spoke up, "My daughter has been adamant about you not meeting her aunt, Yoshiro." Yoshiro heard Amaterasu whisper to Suzume and he leaned on the windowsill, sighing as a breeze came through. He then heard Suzume speak up, "I'm going to leave you alone, kiddo. I can understand why you hate me and all, but... keep in mind that I didn't want this life for you, either." Yoshiro sighed, "Right..." Amaterasu spoke as Suzume left, "She's right, you know. Though you've kept your anger in check, I'm proud of you for that." Yoshiro looked back at his grandmother, "This was some sort of test? Grandmother, war is the entire reason I've lost my Nakama!"

Amaterasu nodded, and hugged him, "Yoshiro, I need to tend to a few things, alright. Your clone will be bringing you your meal and drink, alright?" Yoshiro hugged back and nodded, but before he could let go, he burst into tears and buried his face into her shoulder. Amaterasu frowned at this and pat him on the back, "There, there. Yoshiro, I know how you feel, trust me. Hmmm..." Amaterasu thought for a second and then whispered into Yoshiro's ear, "Yoshiro, I don't normally do this, but you can have one of my Sumeas while you're here, okay?" Yoshiro nodded, the idea of the round fuzzy four legged creatures made him feel better, "Okay, grandmother, thank you." Amaterasu smiled and looked out the door, "Hey, can you go get one of my Sumeas, the gray one should do nicely."

Yoshiro sniffled as he broke the hug, "I'm sorry, grandmother." Amaterasu nodded, "Even someone as hardened as you goes through a lot and it becomes too much to bear." Yoshiro nodded as Amaterasu walked out of the room, and Yoshiko walked in, carrying a tray with food and drink on it, "To be honest, I never thought I'd see you this broken up before. I've heard so many stories about you." Yoshiro nodded, "Yeah, many legends are told of the great hero, Yoshiro Miayame. But, very few of them speak about the man." Yoshiko nodded and placed the tray down in front of him, "Hey, Cousin, you should eat and get some strength back." Yoshiro shook his head, "I'm not hungry right now." Yoshiko frowned, "Yoshiro, if I'm going to help you with learning how to use magic, you need to learn how to trust me. Please eat."

Yoshiro picked up the fork and sighed as he dug it into the food, Yoshiko looked at him, "This is a far cry from the man I saw all those years ago, when I first got to meet you." Yoshiro slowly ate as she spoke, his appetite almost non-existent. Yoshiko continued, "You were a confident man back then, but you only ever fought to protect people. A year ago, that changed. People stopped calling you a great hero and considered you just some soldier who decided to start a war to get revenge. That's why you feel so bad, Yoshiro. Rogelio never wanted you to get revenge." Yoshiro became angry at the mention of someone telling him what Rogelio wanted, but he knew she was right, so he merely sighed, "I know, you're right. I was angry, I didn't know what was going on at the time and I started a war. I just so happened to save a kingdom from being taken by bioweapons."

Yoshiko nodded as a Sumea was brought into the room and placed into his arms, the creature let loose a cooing sound, which soothed Yoshiro and he frowned, "Ever since I struck down that psion, I felt empty, unfulfilled. I had thrown so much away, caused so much suffering, and you even witnessed a lot of that suffering and for what?" Yoshiko frowned, "To be honest, I'm glad that I got to see what happened there. It taught me that I too want to work towards a better world, but I don't want to fight to reach that world." Yoshiro nodded and looked into Yoshiko's eyes, "Remember that feeling Yoshiko, remember it well. I hate fighting, but it's what I'm good at, so I fight. You, you're far better at bringing people together peacefully, people like you and Reiko... the world needs more of you." Yoshiko smiled and looked up at the ceiling, "Thank you, Yoshiro. That means a lot to me."

Akira110
Literary Artist

#10 Post by Akira110 »

Chapter 9

Yoshiro found himself wandering a wasteland, he couldn't remember how he got here, but he found himself in his armor, a flask at his side. He wore a brown cloak, which he had no idea why that was there and checked his side for his sword. He found a sword and a pistol, he found his shield on his back. He heard a sound behind him and turned around to look at the faces of the people he had killed in the past. Without a word, he grabbed the cloak and threw it off, he looked at his gear, "Damaged, it'll suffice." Yoshiro drew his pistol and started firing at the people as they shambled towards him, hitting each and every one of them in the head. However, as they fell down, another would get back up and take their place. Yoshiro sighed and lowered his pistol, "Well this isn't fair anymore."

Yoshiro turned around and started running through the wasteland, the sun beating down on him and making him pant as he ran. His armor started to fall apart around him, but he kept running from the horde of the dead. As he ran, the ground started to open before his eyes and he jumped over ravine after ravine. One particular one, he failed to land on the other side of and grabbed the edge, pulling himself up, but the ground crumbled under his feet, causing him to fall, "[censored]! [censored]! [censored]!" Yoshiro tried to grab onto anything that he could reach, but the ravine kept going deeper and deeper, he seemed to be falling forever. He readjusted his body, "Well if I'm going to die, I'm going to see the bottom rising towards me." Yoshiro looked at the ground and very shortly slammed into it at terminal velocity.

He had expected to die, but instead it started to rain and he opened his eyes and grabbed the rock in front of him, "I'm... not dead, but... I fell over a hundred meters. That's impossible, unless I was dreaming." Yoshiro stood up and looked around, "Armorless and weaponless as well, hmm. I'll get to the end of this dream and wake up." He looked into the cavern that he was close to and concentrated on his right hand, a blinding light emitted from it and he closed his eyes, "Gah!" He tried to reduce the brightness of the light, but it just grew brighter, so he thrust his hand into his pocket. He rubbed his eyes with his left hand, "Agh, I can't see anymore." Yoshiro stumbled blindly in the dark of the cave, he held his left hand to one of the walls, which was slick with rain.

Suddenly a voice spoke up, "Yoshiro, you are not ready yet." Yoshiro's eyes started to adjust and he looked at the person standing before him, "Mom..." Minako looked at him, "You don't even know how to control your own magic and yet you are down here, trying to find who you are deep inside?" Yoshiro shook his head, "Wasn't my intention, but falling down a ravine and wandering blindly through a cave sort of did it." Minako blinked and turned, "So you wish to see him?" Yoshiro shook his head, "I just want out." Minako looked at him, "I was talking to someone else, son." She turned back around, "Very well, I'll send him back there." Minako turned back to him, "Keep going forward, and don't be surprised." Yoshiro nodded and walked forward, his eyes still adjusting to the darkness.

When he reached a chamber in the cavern, he came face to face with a version of himself that he had never seen, "Who... are you?" The kitsune looked at him, "I am Yoshiro Miyamae, or more accurately, I'm the version of you that you want to be." Yoshiro scoffed, "I would never wear golden armor." The other Yoshiro shook his head, "You figured it out earlier, you're in a dream. This armor is a metaphor." Yoshiro shrugged, "A metaphor for what?" The other Yoshiro looked at him, "How do I put this, you've always wanted to protect people, to be a hero and to fight for a better world, right?" Yoshiro shook his head, "I care not for fighting for a better world. I fight because I have to." The other Yoshiro folded his arms, "That's [censored] and you damn well know it."

Yoshiro sighed, "How do I wake up from this dream?" The other Yoshiro looked at him, "Simple, will yourself to wake up, but remember this... the moment you start being honest with yourself, the moment you start listening to me is the moment you start getting restful sleep again." Yoshiro shook his head, "Whatever you say, buddy. I'm going to go wake up now." Yoshiro started willing himself awake and a bright light entered his vision. With each passing moment it grew brighter and brighter and Yoshiro had to turn to look away. Soon, an all encompassing white filled his vision and he closed his eyes tightly. When he opened them back up, he found himself back at the shrine of his grandmother, with a bright light near his face, "Ugh, what a bizarre dream, I should've turned the light off..."

Yoshiro looked at the lamp and noticed that it was off, and the sun hadn't reached his corner of the room, when he raised his right hand, he noticed a brightly glowing field around it, "Gah!" He started shaking his hand, "Stop that! Turn off!" The light grew brighter, "Oh come on!" Yoshiro placed his hand under his covers and he could still see the bright light, "Dammit." Amaterasu walked in, "I could hear you in the other room, what's going... your mana has fully awakened, I see." Amaterasu pulled the covers off Yoshiro's hand and grabbed it, Yoshiro could feel the mana stop flowing from his hand and Amaterasu smiled, "I stopped you from using your mana flow for magic, later today, I'll teach you how magic works and how you can control it, it's actually a lot simpler than you think." Yoshiro looked out the window, "Alright." Though he was listening to her, his mind was on the dream he had.

Akira110
Literary Artist

#11 Post by Akira110 »

Chapter 10

Amaterasu looked at Yoshiro, "Are you well fed?" Yoshiro nodded, patting his belly, "I've not eaten that well in over a century, thank you for the meal, grandmother." Amaterasu smiled, "There is a cave behind the waterfall you were meditating under, if you will follow me, I'll take you there." Yoshiro nodded and looked at Kusanagi, "Will I need this." Amaterasu nodded, "Yes." Yoshiro nodded and followed her out of the shrine and to the waterfall, when they arrived, Amaterasu stopped, "You go first, Yoshiro." Yoshiro nodded and went to take off his shirt and Amaterasu spoke up, "No, Yoshiro, you're going to keep your shirt on." Yoshiro nodded slightly and walked into the waterfall. The water fell around him as he did, but didn't hit him, prompting him to become curious. Amaterasu followed him and spoke up, "Keep moving forward until you find a shrine inside of this cave, it is where I was born."

Yoshiro nodded slightly and kept walking for about five minutes, stopping when he found the shrine, "Are we here?" Amaterasu nodded, "Mother went into Labor while she was hiding in this cave. Frederick offered to protect her while the Karhu deity of war, I can't remember the name, threatened to kill the family." Yoshiro nodded, "Katri, she was killed in battle against Frederick, shortly after you were born, grandmother." Amaterasu nodded, "You know much about war and the history of war. I will teach you a few things today. The first will be about magic, the second will be to go more in depth about who your father was, but I will tell you this. You have been walking in the footsteps of your father until very recently." Yoshiro nodded, unsure of what she meant by that, "I would like to learn about magic, first, grandmother." Amaterasu smiled, "Close your eyes." Yoshiro nodded and closed his eyes and Amaterasu spoke up, "Focus on trying to see the flow of Mana around you."

Yoshiro started to focus on it, he could see the flow of mana in nature around him vaguely, but though he knew she was standing there, he couldn't see Amaterasu. Amaterasu spoke up, "Holy bloods can perceive the flow of mana, but they cannot sense magic. Mana itself is shapeless, formless. A natural energy that even we deities do not understand completely. It is part of all worlds and even the universe itself. Stars, planets, even deep space all have Mana. However, since Mana is a constantly flowing energy, we call it the Mana Flow of the Universe. Mana flows through life, allowing those who are attuned to it, either through holy blood or racial blood, such as Fairies, Dragons and Elves to use it to their own purposes. Although this is limited. Even the strongest deity cannot wipe out cities with the flick of his wrist."

Amaterasu walked behind Yoshiro, "Always keep that in mind, magic, though it can be powerful when used the right way, is limited in nature. Many people expect to call down meteors and kill themselves trying. Now, there are eight known elements of magic: Fire, Water, Wind, Earth, Shadow, Lightning, Dark and Light. Ice is mistaken for an element, but it in reality only falls under Water. Now, each pair of elements oppose. Fire and Water, Wind and Earth, Shadow and Lightning, Dark and Light, they all oppose. Opposing elements can never exist within the same being and can never be combined through any sort of spell, the results will be disastrous, if not fatal. Being a sun blood, you are one of the few holy blood types that allows a dual element. Like myself, you have access to Fire and Light magic, though unlike myself, you are not balanced. Curiously, your Light is stronger while your clone's Fire is stronger."

Amaterasu walked to Yoshiro's side, "Magic works very simply, if you know how to control it. Our bodies can only have a mana flow that is of a particular strength. We absorb some of the mana that is surrounding us from the natural flow, thus increasing our own Mana flow's strength. We then direct that Mana to the body part, most often the hand, or object that we wish to use as a conduit, and then will it form. For sun bloods, you also will what kind of element it will be. As you probably already know, your fire element is a purely offensive element, with some utility thrown in. With fire, you can cause massive damage to your foes by setting them aflame, or you could create a torch of some kind, or a camp fire. Or if you're evil, which I know you're not, you could potentially wind up burning an entire city down. Fire is dangerous in the hands of those who are untrained or unhinged."

Yoshiro nodded as Amaterasu walked in front of him, "Open your eyes." Yoshiro opened his eyes and she continued, "The element of Light is a very powerful defensive element, with some utility as you found out the hard way earlier. The barriers someone like you could create would be extremely strong on their own, capable of taking over one ton of either cumulative or singular force, before you ran out of mana. However, your use of amplifiers will naturally make them stronger, but I warn you, it will drain you for longer if you do that." Yoshiro nodded slightly, "I understand, Grandmother. How do I control the mana flow." Amaterasu smirked, "That's easy. When you awakened, you subconsciously became aware of your own mana flow, you could sense it. However, what you need to do is consciously be aware that your mana flow is as strong as it needs to be, eventually, that thought will become subconscious."

Yoshiro blinked, "Wait, seriously? That's the big secret to magic?" Amaterasu nodded, "That's all, I'm afraid. The issue with new mages is that subconsciously, they're trying to use up the mana flow inside of them, not knowing how it actually works. When they become consciously aware of how things work and teach their mind to not freak out about their mana, that's when they become able to control their magic." Yoshiro nodded slightly, "Grandmother, thank you." Amaterasu nodded, "You're a sunblood, like it or not, you're my responsibility. Besides, you're my grandson and it's great that we can spend time like this. This is the most time we've spent together since you were little. I remember holding you each and every day, you and your siblings. Minako is a wonderful mother and I'm proud of all of you." Yoshiro nodded, "What about my father?" Amaterasu sighed, "Well, I suppose it's time I tell you about Akira..."

Akira110
Literary Artist

#12 Post by Akira110 »

Chapter 11

Amaterasu sighed, "Yoshiro, sit down." Yoshiro nodded and Yoshiko spoke up, "Do you want me to go?" Amaterasu shook her head, "Akira is your biological grandfather." Yoshiko blinked, "Grandfather, who is my biological father?" Yoshiro looked at her, "We discussed that when you first arrived, remember. We chose to be cousins, then Grandmother adopted your mother, who then went ahead and married my cousin." Amaterasu frowned, "Enough! We are getting side tracked. Anyhow, Yoshiko, the reason you were so easily able to avoid the path that Yoshiro had taken, is that your blood was diluted with Sumiko's blood, her being the surrogate mother and all. Sumiko is much like Minako, and this was able to suppress the genetics you had gotten from your biological grandfather."

Amaterasu looked directly at Yoshiro, "However, the genetics that he passed down to you, they have ensured your success in war, Yoshiro." Yoshiro looked at his hand, "I am no different from other Kitsune, aside from the whole sunblood thing." Amaterasu shook her head, "You are the son of Project Kawal, Yoshiro." Yoshiro blinked, he had never heard of any such thing and he looked her in the eye, "No such project exists, if it did, I would've heard about it!" Amaterasu shook her head, "All records of it were destroyed when Akira led the revolution against the Menschilche." Yoshiro looked at her, "Mamoru led the revolution." Amaterasu sighed, "Yoshiro, stop interrupting me!" Yoshiro looked down, "Sorry, I'll stop." Amaterasu looked at him, "Good, now ask the question on your mind." Yoshiro looked at Yoshiko, "Is Dad like Yoshiko?"

Amaterasu shook her head, "Yoshiko is a clone. Project Kawal was about genetically enhancing a child that would've already been a Warblood Kitsune. Your father was faster, stronger and had more endurance than a regular Kitsune. As for his mother, the operation was not voluntary, she was forced to undergo it and Akira was taken from her at birth. He was raised in a Menschilche facility on the planet and grew up to become one of their enforcers. The Leo faction sent him out to quell uprisings, not just on Verbana, but on other planets as well. He killed swiftly and without mercy and before he reached adulthood, he had already killed forty-six people. Though the people didn't trust him, when I first met your father, I could see that something in him had taken root. He wasn't the merciless killer that I heard about, I could sense a light taking hold within him."

Amaterasu sighed, "I tried to appeal to the light and he drew his weapon on me, telling me that I was in violation of Menschilche law and that because of my status as a deity, though he couldn't kill me without causing an uprising that he'd have to put down, he could arrest me. He then holstered his weapon and continued about his business. As time went on, I heard more and more stories about his operations and went to go see the aftermath for myself. At first, there were no survivors, everyone in the area slaughtered, later, he began to spare more and more people. Eventually, I heard of an uprising near where my daughter lived and rushed there to see your father. Despite the odds being against him, Kawal turned against his handlers. He singlehandedly slaughtered eight Menschilche before my very eyes, he then laid eyes upon me and asked me for a name. When I told him my name, he shook his head and clarified that he wanted me to give him a name."

Yoshiro looked up and opened his mouth, causing Amaterasu to stop, "Yes, Yoshiro?" Yoshiro sighed, "Did you name him?" Amaterasu nodded, "Yes, but he didn't like the name. It was your mother who gave him the name Akira, after we had rendezvoused with him. Your mother stood up for him and convinced the rest of the resistance that he was truly on our side. Akira was the only one who had intimate knowledge of the Menschilche military force and their installations. He led our forces against the Menschilche without any sort of mercy towards his former handlers, until we reached a communications installation. It was there that we finally got to send a message to Eltirana and ensured that the war could honestly be won. The thing is, Yoshiro, without your father, we would've lost and Verbana would still be part of the Menschilche Empire."

Yoshiro nodded as Amaterasu continued, "Your father is a Legendary Soldier, who joined up with the Kitsune Military after the war. Your mother chose to marry him against my wishes, but she was able to make him into the man that you see today. I don't know what I passed down to Minako, but it was able to allow your father to change completely and she passed it down to you, to keep you from being like your father. But what your father passed down to you, is the reason why war comes so naturally to you, despite you not being a warblood. It's why ending the lives of others has always been easy for you. However, your mother's half is there to make you hate it, every step of the way, Yoshiro." Yoshiro nodded slightly, and Yoshiko looked at him, "It's... a lot to take in, isn't it?"

Yoshiro shook his head, "No, it's just... I never thought any of that about my father. There is something I wish to know." Amaterasu nodded, "Anything, my grandson." Yoshiro looked into her eyes, "Has Dad gotten in touch with his parents?" Amaterasu nodded, "Yes, shortly after you were born, in fact. Your mother helped unite them once more as a family." Yoshiro nodded, "That's good." Amaterasu smiled softly and placed her hand on Yoshiro's shoulder, "Hey, kiddo. I don't want you to think anything less about your father. It takes more effort for someone to become good than it does for someone to have been born good. Your father is a truly good man at heart." Yoshiro nodded, "Thank you, Grandmother." Amaterasu nodded slightly, "You should get some rest in here, you have my express permission to spend the night out here." Yoshiro nodded, "Thank you, again, Grandmother."

Akira110
Literary Artist

#13 Post by Akira110 »

Chapter 12

Night had fallen and Amaterasu was still awake, she had a meeting with a fellow deity and walked out of her chambers. Two kensei guards looked at her, the female spoke up, "Great-grandmother, would you like me to accompany you?" Amaterasu looked at the two of them, "No, thank you. I agreed to come alone." The Kensei nodded, "As you wish, milady." Amaterasu nodded and left the shrine without another word. She walked through the woods in the mountains surrounding her shrine, until she ran into a clearing where she saw a massive dragon, "Watashi tachi wa doragonzu no ō, gōi shi te iru yō ni watashi wa, ichi nin de ki te i masu." The dragon looked down at her, "Si mi saeuth batobot wux re vi aesthyr di tiichi." Amaterasu sighed, "I am not my grandson, I do not speak Draconic, Bahamut." Bahamut looked down at her, "Then let us speak in the common tongue, shall we?"

Amaterasu nodded, "Very well, you called me out here for a reason." Bahamut switched forms quickly, becoming a creature that she was unfamiliar with, "Do you know what this creature is called?" Amaterasu shook her head, "No, I do not." Bahamut smiled, revealing reptilian teeth in his mouth, "Eidechse. They exist on this world, in stasis. I have been watching your people, ever since Kawal led your people to contact my sister, which allowed you to throw off the yoke of the Menschilche." Amaterasu nodded, "I know, you've had your dragons monitor Verbana." Bahamut nodded, "I'm surprised you know that." Amaterasu frowned, "You think that I'm going to miss advanced technology when it lands in my own backyard. Erasmus' monastery is just laying on top of a Draconic ship."

Bahamut nodded, "I had no idea that you knew this entire time." Amaterasu nodded, "There are many things that I know that you think I don't. Bahamut, when we were enslaved, many people assumed it was because of you Dragons that the Menschilche came for us, they thought if they killed your kind off, we'd all be free. I knew better, Bahamut. It's because I've been neighbors with Erasmus for the past couple of thousand years. I know what the Dragons are like, I am familiar with their technology." Bahamut narrowed his eyes, "Then you know that your grandson has been illegally using Draconic Technology. The prime directive forbade him from doing so, yet he still incorporated it into his armors." Amaterasu nodded, "I'm aware that he uses Draconic technology, but Julius supplied him with it."

Bahamut folded his arms and closed his deep green eyes, "So it was Julius who violated the Prime Directive, I'll have to punish him." Amaterasu shook her head, "You know just as well as I do that Yoshiro will not allow you to touch Julius." Bahamut looked at her, "You assume that Yoshiro can stop me." Amaterasu sighed, "Julius is the last thing at this moment that holds Yoshiro's shattered psyche together. No one else does, not his mother, not his wife, not his children, not I." Bahamut nodded, "A small price to pay, Amaterasu, he'll come back out of this stronger. He's been trained to open his mind and you've taught him how to control his magic. He's no longer a child, no matter how badly you want to see him as one." Amaterasu sighed, "We deities are not allowed to interfere with the affairs of mortals, Bahamut, outside of guidance."

Bahamut looked at her, "You, maybe. I am under no such restrictions. I am a Draconic Deity of Law. That is what I've always been and my great-grandson has violated the law, he must be punished in accordance to the law." Amaterasu sighed, "Let's just get back to the point of the meeting, Bahamut." Bahamut nodded, "Since Yoshiro uses Draconic Technologies, his DNA can now unlock the Draconic Cache in this region." Amaterasu nodded, "So we're opening them now?" Bahamut nodded, "Yes, it is time that your people take our technology and advance once again. Though I do worry about this region, like you said, Yoshiro isn't exactly mentally stable. One year ago, he started a war and tried to kill your father's new incarnation." Amaterasu blinked, she knew Yoshiro hated her father, but never thought he'd actually try.

Bahamut sighed, "In three days, I want you to bring Yoshiro back to the monastery. It'll be his job to open up the Cache and prepare things so that a team of people can link up the Draconic Archives with the Verbanan Archives. Though there are things in said archives that might lead him back on the path to war, against Aiko, specifically." Amaterasu nodded, she was saddened that her grandchildren were fighting, but she also knew that ever since Hiroshi's death, Mamoru's children were always going to hate Yoshiro for it. Amaterasu sighed slightly, "Is there anyone else that can do it?" Bahamut shrugged, "This is expedient and doesn't break any existing laws anymore than already has been done. Once he opens the doors up, we'll be allowed to give the technology to open said Caches freely."

Amaterasu nodded, "And the Eidechse?" Bahamut frowned, "We'll relocate them onto a world that is very much like their homeworld. They will be able to exist and repopulate now that the Menschilche are weakened severely." Amaterasu nodded slightly, "Is this meeting over?" Bahamut nodded and switched back to his original form, "Remember, three days, no later. Bring him earlier and you risk him not having control over his magic." Amaterasu nodded slightly, and walked away from the clearing. She went back through the forest, remembering what Bahamut said, "Five hundred years ago, we made the agreement that when the time came, I'd come here alone. I'm surprised he remembered that." As she walked into the shrine, the Kensei looked at her, "Milady, you look annoyed. Is everything alright?" Amaterasu nodded, "Yes, thank you for asking. I just need a little bit of sleep." The Kensei nodded as she walked past, closing her door behind her. As she leaned against the wall, she sighed, knowing that Verbana was about to taste war before the new decade was over.

Akira110
Literary Artist

#14 Post by Akira110 »

Chapter 13

Three days had passed and Yoshiro found himself in front of the Draconic base, with Amaterasu behind him. He looked at her, "I guess that I'm the only one allowed in here?" Amaterasu nodded, "Yes, and Yoshiro, don't worry about Julius, okay?" Yoshiro sighed, his anger welled up inside of him when he thought of Bahamut punishing the dragon who took him in as his brother. Yoshiro placed his hand on the scanner, which scanned his DNA, a mechanical voice speaking, "Thirkuir xanalre ekess Common. Welcome bearer of Draconic Technology." Yoshiro watched as the doors opened up and he breathed a sigh as he looked at what laid behind them. He stepped into the base and the doors closed behind him, locking to keep anyone else from getting in. Yoshiro turned back and raised his hand, concentrating on sending his mana into it when a voice spoke up, "I would not recommend doing that, Kitsune."

Yoshiro turned around to see a female Kitsune standing there, "You're a hologram." The Kitsune tilted her head, "How did you guess that so quickly?" Yoshiro returned his flow of mana to normal and tapped his nose, "Your scent is non-existent, you're a three dimensional hologram designed to interface with the locals of the planet in order to ease them into wanting to learn how this Draconic technology works, in addition to freeing the life forms that are currently in this base." The Kitsune nodded and bowed, "Then would you rather see my true form?" Yoshiro shrugged, "It would make me trust you a lot more." The hologram disappeared and an android walked out of a room, the android wasn't Draconic in nature, it was something different entirely, "I was created in the likeness of the Eidechse peoples. You are the Keeper, Yoshiro Tayasui Miyamae, correct?" Yoshiro was more off put by the fact that this thing knew his middle name than the fact that it called him a Keeper.

The Android spoke up, "You dislike the name title of keeper?" Yoshiro nodded, "Somewhat, yes. I'm more confused as to how you know my middle name. The last time I heard someone use it was over one hundred and twenty years ago." The Android shook its head, "It really felt more like one year, two months, twelve days and twenty-two minutes since that time, to me at least." Yoshiro shrugged, "You're an android, it's perfectly natural for you to be offline for extended periods of time. At any rate, which task am I supposed to be doing first?" The android spoke up, "Freeing the Eidechse from their stasis, they will be able to help you get into the Draconic Archives." Yoshiro nodded and gestured to a hallway, "Lead the way to them." The android looked at him, "Wrong hallway, that leads to the reactor."

The android led Yoshiro to the stasis pod chamber, which was quite large, if he had to guess, at least three thousand pods were here, "They could run this ship themselves if they wanted to..." The Android looked at him, "Unlikely, do you know how to turn off stasis pods?" Yoshiro looked at the control panel before him, "It wouldn't be the switch that is labeled, 'Stasis Pod Power' would it?" The Android looked at him, "You can read Draconic?" Yoshiro nodded, "Axun, si tepoha vi bensvelk ankin." The Android nodded and Yoshiro flipped the switch to the off position, "This may or may not be interesting." The Android stepped back slightly and Yoshiro watched as the stasis pods opened all at once, a reptilian creature with neck frills looked at him directly and spoke, "Eng komesch Fuuss déiereräich am Schëff vun eiser Fassad!" Yoshiro backed up a step, he knew that he couldn't fight all of these at once, especially armed as he was.

The creature leapt and landed in front of him, "Wien bass du an wat mëss du hei Arméi? Hutt Dir all Draachen erleiden!?" Yoshiro looked at the android, "I have no idea what the [censored] they're saying! A little help here!?" The android sighed, "Basilio Mancini, berouegen an an der gemeinsamer Mammesprooch schwätzen." Basilio nodded, "I am Basilio Mancini, I am the leader of this group of Eidechse, you are either one of the Keepers or you have killed dragons to get in here. The fact that you lack their technology suggests that you are not one of the Keepers." Yoshiro shook his head, "I've had good relations with Dragons ever since I was little, one of their numbers is my brother." Basilio looked him in the eye, but Yoshiro didn't waver, Basilio chuckled, "You are either telling the truth, or you're a courageous liar. Your name is?" Yoshiro closed his eyes, "Former General of the Kitsune Army's Aerial Mounted Corps Yoshiro Miyamae."

Basilio nodded, "You look young to have been a General." Yoshiro shrugged, "We advanced technologically, but honestly, I don't think we should be advancing so rapidly so quickly, yet Bahamut seems to disagree. Anyhow, I need your help to reach the Draconic Archives, I need to link them to the Verbanan Archives so that the Verbanans can access the information stored within them." Basilio nodded and turned back, "Augusto! You are in command!" Yoshiro heard a voice speak up, "Alright, Basilio." Basilio looked at Yoshiro, "Before we go, I want to know one thing." Yoshiro shrugged, "Name it." Basilio looked at him, "Why did you leave the military?" Yoshiro shook his head, "I didn't, I'm currently a lone mercenary. I figured that I'd be fighting my entire life, but at least I'm going to fight to protect the people I care about. It matters not if I'm part of a formal military or not."

Basilio nodded, "Your answer is adequate, though looking into your eyes, reveals that much more is troubling you. I will not inquire further, but if you will permit me, I would like to join you as a mercenary." Yoshiro shrugged, "It's up to you, I won't ask why. I only have my mission to complete." Basilio nodded, "A true warrior at heart, I like you already, Yoshiro." Yoshiro shrugged, "Whatever, can we start going to the archives now. I would like to go see my children sometime this year." Basilio nodded, "Unless the direction has been changed, it's further down this hallway. The Dragons loved to store things in the same general area." Basilio motioned towards the hallway and the two of them started walking towards it, Basilio spoke up, "What do you expect to find in the archives?" Yoshiro was surprised, but answered honestly, "The truth behind my Nakama's murder..."

Akira110
Literary Artist

#15 Post by Akira110 »

Chapter 14

Yoshiro and Basilio reached the chamber with the Draconic Archives within them and Basilio spoke up, "This is the sum of Draconic Knowledge, including from when we landed on this planet." Yoshiro nodded, "A seat, please." A seat rose up from the floor and took Yoshiro into a chamber, where he was alone with holograms, "Hmmm..." Yoshiro reached out for one of the holograms and found that he could touch it, "Interesting, hard light constructs." Yoshiro watched as the construct changed into a keyboard for him and he started typing onto it, when another hologram showed up, "Do not be afraid to stand, despite the appearance of the contrary, there is a floor beneath your feet. This is a holochamber, designed for a visual interface with the Draconic Archives, it was set up for your people." Yoshiro looked at the hologram, which looked like Rogelio, "Change your appearance." The hologram changed to the appearance of Kauko, "Better?"

Yoshiro sighed, "It will do, I need to connect the Draconic Archives to the Verbanan Archives, so that we can access the wealth of information contained within." The hologram nodded, "I can do that process automatically." Yoshiro blinked, "Bahamut didn't tell me that you could do that." The hologram nodded, "Of course, I was created by his grandson, Coronth." Yoshiro nodded, "Do you have any information about the incident one year ago?" The hologram nodded, "After Rogelio Sanez Lorca was killed, Yoshiro Tayasui Miyamae quit the Kitsune Military and wound up forming a proto-mercenary group that went across the sea and stopped a bunch of bio-weapons from getting loose and killing everyone, but not before Yoshiro threatened his own great-grandfather, the Kitsune Deity of Life and a king of the Fennec Kitsune, with death."

Yoshiro nodded, "What were the circumstances leading to Rogelio's death?" The Hologram sighed, "It would be easier just to show you." Suddenly the scenery changed and Yoshiro found himself in a secluded location, there, he saw Aiko sitting on a bed, she was wearing a sleeveless shirt, which allowed him to see the mechanical left arm she was given. She looked up and Yoshiro looked at who she was looking at, "Masaru!" Masaru looked at Aiko, "Are you enjoying the mechanical limb that you have been given, my ansatsu sha." Aiko looked up at Masaru, "What is your angle, why did you bring me out of that coma and why have you given me this arm." Masaru spoke quietly, "Simple, my dear ex-girlfriend, you want revenge and I consider a certain person to be an extreme threat."

Aiko looked at Masaru, "You want Yoshiro murdered!?" Masaru shook his head, "Murdered, no, I want to see him devastated, I want to see his heart broken and the final vestige of his herosim fade away. I want him to be exposed for the danger that he truly is." Aiko nodded, "There's only one problem, that Eekhoorn that he's always near." Yoshiro became furious as he watched this continue, Masaru speaking up, "Lilah will not be an issue, your target is simple. Make him fail to protect someone innocent and keep making him fail." Masaru turned around and left, "You have your orders, Aiko." Aiko looked at her cybernetic hand, "No, I will do something far worse to him. That Mofeta that he is always around, that he's closer to than anyone else in his entire life, I'm going to kill him and that there's nothing that will stop me." Aiko started cackling madly and Yoshiro rushed forward punching the hologram in the head, but his hand phased through, being a historical simulation and all.

The holograms vanished and the first looked at him, "Have you found everything that you need." Yoshiro spoke in a cold tone, filled with hatred, "Yes, I did." Yoshiro walked out of the chamber and looked at Basilio who spoke up, "Hey, the connection to the Verbanan Archives has started, you Verbanans will be able to link up to the Draconic Archives and get information that way." Yoshiro nodded slightly, "Good." Basilio looked at him, "Your voice and look changed, is everything alright?" Yoshiro shook his head, "Last year, I took out a man who had nothing to do with the death of my Nakama. I'm going to do everything I can to hunt down Aiko and kill her. These mountains and the caves would make for a good first base for my Raptors, would you like to join on, Basilio?"

Basilio nodded, "Sure thing, General." Yoshiro shook his head, "Lieutenant Colonel. I'll be out there, every day fighting battle after battle. But first things first, I need to go talk with the Drow Matriarch and Bruno about acquiring some land to build a base." Basilio nodded, "Do you even know where Aiko went?" Yoshiro clenched his hand into a fist, he could feel his claws dig into his skin, "No, but I will find her, and so help me, I will be the one to end her life." Basilio sighed, "So the first mission of the Raptors is one of revenge." Yoshiro shrugged, "The basis of all wars is an invasion or attack followed by retaliation. Masaru wanted to disgrace me, and Aiko wanted a war. Only Aiko is going to get what she wants, and believe me, I will make sure this is going to be her last." Basilio nodded again, "Well then, let's go."