Battle in the Snowy Caps

Post all your stories, poems, and haiku's here!

Moderator: Moderators

Akira110
Literary Artist

Battle in the Snowy Caps

#1 Post by Akira110 »

Within the frozen tundra of the north of the continent of Ahorn, two armies were getting ready to meet each other on the battlefield. However, roughly fifty kilometers away, a white furred Kitsune looked upon a datapad with his ice blue eyes narrowed, "So you're telling me that this is our entire force?" A white furred Lupine looked at him, "I apologize, General, but this is all that we could come up with." The Kitsune pressed a button on his console and spoke into the comms system, "Admiral Nenharma, are you in position?" The Admiral's voice spoke up, "Affirmative, General Miyamae. The Third Fleet is in position at the north border of the continent." Yoshiro nodded, "That's good to hear." He continued pressing the same button, "Brigadier General Kjeldsen, are your fighters ready for takeoff?" The Brigadier General's voice spoke over the comms, "Affirmative, General. The cold is causing havoc on our engine systems, but I suspect that it will be no trouble in the end." Yoshiro nodded and sighed, "I guess I'm the Army commander here." Yoshiro sighed, "I wish I had some sort of rousing speech to give to all of you, but I do not. I apologize."

He let go of the button and turned to someone working at a computer, "Are you done with your job yet?" The female Mus looked up at him, "I apologize, General, but I'm going as fast as I can. Hacking into a satellite isn't exactly as easy as one would think, you know." Yoshiro sighed, "Relax, I'm just trying to make sure that everything is in order." The Lupine looked at him, "How long do you think it'll be before the two armies make contact?" Yoshiro sighed, "We got about ten minutes before they are in weapons range." The Lupine looked at him, "How are you so sure?" Yoshiro sighed, "Major General, I used to be part of Masaru's military. I still have some people on the inside of his military and I know the ins and outs of it. Unlike my father, I actually do have hard counters to everything that Masaru can throw at us." The Lupine nodded, "So what does the Kitsune Military lack?" Yoshiro leaned on a console and sighed slightly, "Masaru has fortunately never formed a sharpshooter division and the Kitsune Kingdom being landlocked in the middle of a forest lacks any sort of Navy or Air Force."

The Lupine Major General nodded slightly, "So, we have the total advantage here?" Yoshiro shook his head, "No." He pointed to a holographic image, "This is the image of a storm that is moving rapidly towards this area. It'll hit our forces before it hits theirs. We have about two hours to fight them off and wrap up this entire operation before this thing gets too close to be able to move everyone to a shelter of some sort." Yoshiro watched as a holographic image appeared before him with several green arrows representing his ground troops, green squares represented the vehicles, in the distance he saw white circles that represented his naval forces and blue triangles represented his fighter craft. He saw multiple red triangles and squares move towards his green ones. He placed his finger on the button, "Colonel Gravois. Prepare to receive coordinates. Move the Fifth Regiment there." Yoshiro inputted some coordinates into the computer and sighed slightly as he sent them.

The Lupine placed his hand on Yoshiro's shoulder as the Colonel spoke up, "Roger that, sir." Yoshiro looked at the situation on his holographic display, "First Regiment, Seventh Regiment, enemy forces will enter maximum range within three minutes, prepare to fire at that time. Third Regiment, Tenth Regiment, back the First and Seventh up. Sixth Regiment, move your tanks about fifteen meters forward. Second Regiment, enemy forces are now within your firing range, open fire." The Lupine nodded, "You seem to be able to keep up very well, but don't be afraid to ask for help." Yoshiro nodded, "Of course, this battle is going to be hectic, so don't be afraid to use one of the other command consoles to help me out." The Lupine chuckled, "Of course, General." Yoshiro watched as the battle started, "Eleventh through Fourteenth Regiments, fall back fifty meters and join up with the Fifteenth through Eighteenth." Yoshiro looked at the fighter craft and noticed that the Kitsune Imperial Army was fielding air troops, "Brigadier General, you may order your fighters to take off from the runway."

Yoshiro watched as the blue triangles moved from the runway and he breathed a sigh, "This isn't something you get used to. The calm before the battle fully breaks out, knowing that people are going to die." Yoshiro watched as on the holographic display both forces started to open fire and start moving into their own positions. Yoshiro thanked the fact that there was a chain of command in place to allow his troops to be able to act in their own individual units. He continued watching nonetheless. He watched as several red triangles disappeared off the map as a few red squares moved in, "Fourth Regiment, vehicle column heading towards the front line, take them out. Sixth, cover the Fourth." He watched as lines showing weapons fire trail from the Vehicle column towards the Third Regiment, "Third Regiment, move into a safer position, the Fourth is going to take those vehicles out." He watched as the Third Regiment fell back as the Fourth moved into position. He saw firing lines go from the Fourth to the enemy Vehicles and watched as the Vehicles started to disappear.

Suddenly Yoshiro noticed something, "[censored]! Thirteenth Regiment, Sixteenth Regiment, enemy forces are attempting to flank the front lines, get into a position to counter them." He watched as the blue triangles reached above his troops on the image and sighed, "All fighters, you only have clearance to use your cannons against Enemy Vehicles and air targets, nothing more and only when you have a clear shot." Yoshiro sighed as he continued to watch the battle unfold. He noticed that the Fifth Regiment was starting to attract a lot of weapons fire, "Fifth Regiment, fall back a hundred meters and find some cover." He watched as the Thirteenth and Sixteenth Regiments opened fire on the flanking enemy forces and though he desperately wanted to head out to support his troops on the front line, he knew deep down that his current rank forbade him from doing so.

He looked at the holographic image, "It would seem that Masaru has put more troops into this battle than I anticipated." The Lupine nodded, "Seventeenth Regiment, you have enemy forces approaching your position from the adjacent street, set up an ambush." Yoshiro sighed slightly, "Brigadier General, do you have some UAVs laying around?" The Brigadier General's voice spoke up, "Yes, sir." Yoshiro nodded, "Launch them into the air, something isn't right and I can't take the satellites off the battle without losing our tactical advantage. Try to find their headquarters." The Brigadier General spoke up, "Will do, sir." Yoshiro spoke up over the comms again, "Admiral Nenharma, prepare your ships to fire. I don't know why, but I have this feeling that something is wrong here." Lathron's voice spoke up, "Roger that, General." Yoshiro watched as light gray triangles left from the airfield and started to fly around the battlefield.

He continued to watch this, but noticed that an enemy vehicle column was traveling down a road to flank the rear line, "Fourteenth Regiment, enemy vehicles coming your way, they're trying to flank you." The Colonel in charge of the regiment spoke up, "Thank you, sir." Yoshiro frowned slightly as he watched as fire was exchanged between the Fourteenth Regiment, Fifteenth Regiment and Seventeenth Regiment and the enemy vehicles. His heart sank into his chest when he watched as a building got wiped off the map, in addition to half the Seventeenth Regiment and the entirety of the Fifteenth. Yoshiro slammed his fist onto the console, "Dammit! Those idiots are using artillery strikes on the city, they don't even care!" Yoshiro watched as a UAV flew past an area and several diamonds appeared on the map, "Got you!" Yoshiro uploaded the coordinates of each target to Lathron and to the fighter jets, "These targets are outside of the city and represent a major threat, take them out immediately with any ordinance you can."

Yoshiro watched as arcs traveled from the ships to the diamonds and the diamonds started to disappear from sight. Yoshiro sighed, "Ninteenth and Twentieth Regiments, I need you to go join up with the remnants of the Seventeenth Regiment and back up the Fourteenth." Yoshiro sighed slightly, "Thirty-five hundred people are dead now." The Lupine spoke up, "Sir, look up, one of our UAVs has spotted something about thirty kilometers from the edge of the city." Yoshiro watched as a massive red square appeared on the map, "Well, let's cut the head off of their military." Yoshiro transmitted the coordinates of the massive red square to Lathron, "Admiral, I'm going to go out on a limb and say that this is their headquarters, would have to be a mobile one, but you should be able to take it out without any issue." Lathron spoke up, "Roger that, General." Yoshiro turned towards the holographic image and noticed that the red forces were starting to move away from the city, "All forces, keep on the pressure, but do not follow them out just yet. There might be a trap out there." Yoshiro watched as the firing lines arced from the ships once again, this time hitting the massive red square on the map.

He watched as the red square vanished and as some units in the Kitsune Imperial Army start become very disorganized and not move with the other ones. He sighed, "Alright men, we've taken out their headquarters, they have no shelter for the night and we have about half an hour before this storm bears down upon us. Take any surrendering Imperials prisoner and kill those who continue to fight. As for those who are retreating, let them live to fight another day." Yoshiro sat down as the rest of the battle played out and the Lupine looked at him, "You seemed to be a natural at this sort of thing." Yoshiro looked up at the ceiling, "Yeah, safe off the coast in our northern Forward Operating Base. Glad that we could keep the Imperial Army out of the north, otherwise it'd be a very difficult road to get to the Resistance Army. We need to help Goro and my Father." The Lupine nodded as the battle ended, "Looks like it's over, the enemy forces are in retreat." Yoshiro sat up, "All forces, return to base, you have about ten minutes before it's too late to outrun the storm."

The Lupine sighed, "So what are you going to do?" Yoshiro leaned against the console as he finally let go of the button, "Simple, when the weather clears up, we're going to recover the bodies and I'm going to add their dogtags to my collection of them." The Lupine looked at him with wide eyes, "You collect dogtags?" Yoshiro looked at him with a sight, "It's so that I can remember the names of everyone who died under my command, Major General. It feels wrong forgetting their faces, I don't want to forget their names. That and I can't always send the body back to their loved ones, so having their dogtags makes it a lot easier for me to send a condolence letter to their loved ones." The Lupine nodded, "That actually sounds extremely sincere, General." Yoshiro nodded solemnly, "Doesn't change the fact that this is yet another war that continues to brew on."

The Lupine nodded slightly as the Mus turned around to speak to him, "So why are you speaking about this?" Yoshiro looked at her, "Well, losing your friends and family, or even soldiers under your command is something that you never get used to. The thousandth time you watch it happens hurts no less than the first time you see it. Anyhow, if anyone needs me, I think I'm going to go to the mess hall. I would much like to have some food so that I can calm my nerves after what happened today." The Mus smirked, "So it is true, you do have a heart after all." Yoshiro walked past her, "Ha ha, that's quite hilarious. Thank you for what you did for me." As Yoshiro reached the door, he turned his head to look towards the Lupine, "By the way, you have command until I get back." The Lupine nodded, "Thank you, Sir. I won't let you down." Yoshiro smirked, "I know you won't." Yoshiro then left the room.
Been around this forum for over 8 years now. Everyone I've known has left, now it's my time to do the same.