FWC The New Boy

Post all your stories, poems, and haiku's here!

Moderator: Moderators

Welsh halfwit
Citizen

FWC The New Boy

#1 Post by Welsh halfwit »

(Kinda appropriate, seeing as I'm new here.)

THE NEW BOY

Sat in her favourite comfortable chair, Rabbitoid Security chief Jasmine Rhonkar, of the explorer ship Fauntleroy, examined the person in front of her as a Hawk would study a Mican. He was a human and one of their pink varieties. He had brown hair and a notable laryngeal prominence. He was thin and nervous. The rabbitoid officer sighed as her lunch materialized in a bowl on the table in front of her. Parsnip and Cheddar soup with croutons. “Latest tech.” She said boredly. “Order it direct from the galley and they send it to the table.” She tossed the young male’s datapad file onto the other chair and spoke to him. “Second year cadet James Thomas Purvis.” She stated. “Seconded for a year from command college to security.” She looked up. “Why are you here?”

“Err…” The young human started, clearly a little uncertain of how to continue. “I hear you’re one of the best, Ma’am, and I intend to…”

Jasmine waved a hand. “First point. I’m not Ma’am, Sir or mate. I’m a Security chief. Call me chief. Second point is I wear size seventeen boots so, if you’re going to lick ‘em, your mouth will be sandpaper dry by the end. I KNOW why you’re on this ship. We do know a bit about humans. What I mean is why are you HERE? This isn’t the security office, it’s my apartment and it’s lunchtime.”

“Oh." Purvis fidgeted a little with his hands. "Er, I was told to report to you immediately I’d settled in. I asked Commander Sorvana where you’d be and he asked the computer. It said here.”

Jasmine bristled at the mention of the Commander. She knew Sorvana was a good officer but he was formerly of intelligence division and had further reaching powers than her. She pointed a grey furred finger at Purvis. “Right. Third point. I’m your commander, not him. You don’t speak to command unless they speak to you first. You need to find me? Ask the computer yourself now he’s graciously shown you how to use it. Ask it where the security office is and polish those boots before I join you there in half an hour.” So saying, she commenced her lunch.

Thirty five minutes later, Jasmine ambled into the office and relieved her second in command, a Dober canine called Hasler who glanced dismissively at Purvis as he left. “Don’t take it personally.” Rhonkar said, sliding into her seat behind the monitors. “No-one will like you at first. You have the smell of enthusiasm about you.”

“Is...is that bad?” Purvis asked, coming around so he could see the screens too.

“Until it’s tempered by wisdom you’ll screw up kid. That means more work for the others. That’s why I’m babysitting you today.” Jasmine looked at the screens. “It’s a burden but it’s always useful. So,” she added, changing the subject, “what sort of crime are you looking for?”

“Err… Whatever comes my way?”

“Smart answer.” Jasmine conceded. “We’re security onboard a starship. I’ve investigated one murder in my career and I hope never to get another one. We’re not here to investigate although we can if we have to. Security is here to maintain order and protect the population of this ship. There are currently three thousand Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Foxes - Celicans as they prefer, Canines, Felines, Osirans and Humans aboard this ship and seventy-six security have to protect them. Pivotal areas.” She stated, pointing at the screen. She paused, looking at a message coming in, “Can be done later. The tailor’s been robbed.”

The pair entered the concourse, the goliath ships physical shopping zone, and Purvis noticed Chief Rhonkar looking at people they passed. “You lead on this, kid. “ She said as they passed one of the ships' two coffee shops.

“What?”

“This shoplifting. Take the lead. It’s not teaching if I tell you the answers, is it?” She stopped and spoke into her comm unit so he went in first.

“So, Mr.…”

“Cathway.” The feline stated, staring drawn daggers at him.

“…Cathway.” Purvis continued. “What seems to have been stolen?”

“One of my FINEST dresses.” The feline complained. “Blue silk with diamond studs and gold brocade shoulder-pieces. It’s worth about four thousand credits.” He looked to Jasmine who directed him to look to the cadet. “What do you intend to do about it?” He demanded.

“Err...”

“Err?” The feline repeated. “I tell you a fabulously expensive garment is missing and you say Err?” He grimaced and looked at Jasmine. “Is this the best you can do?”

“Take command, kid.” Jasmine remarked. “Two years a cadet. Time to show what they taught you.”

Purvis felt himself gain courage from that. “I MEAN, Mr. Cathway, that we shall find your missing outfit and who stole it! I DO apologize for seeming indecisive but now we would like to see your shop CCTV camera footage IF you don’t mind?”

He led them to the back of the shop. “Good, kid.” She whispered. “But make sure you don’t get too angry, yes? He’s the victim, not the criminal.” They watched the recording and Purvis noted that the theft had occurred barely two minutes before they’d entered the shop. He pointed at a canine female who had walked past them on the way in. “It’s her.” He stated.

“How can you tell?” Jasmine asked out of curiosity. “The camera doesn’t cover the area the dress was.”

“There’s something in her bag.” Purvis pointed out. “When we see her go in a moment or so back there’s nothing in it.” He rewound to confirm and there was a notable change in the bag. “The shop till records no sales in that time so she didn’t pay.”

“Good. Want me to run her face through the ID systems?”

“Err…” he smiled. “Yeah.”

“Stop saying err. It’s irritating.” She told him as she accessed the security department with her level 10 clearance and scanned the face through the system. It took a few seconds to identify Canvey Frass, a 2nd lieutenant in the catering division. “Two priors for shoplifting five years back.” Jasmine looked over at the cadet. “Here’s another reason security stands outside the command ranks, kid. Sometimes you have to arrest ‘em. Our next step?”

“She’d head to her room to hide it?”

“Not directly.” Jasmine pointed out. “Not if she went past us – which she did. She headed to her workstation.”

“How can you tell that?” Purvis asked. Jasmine pointed to the computer screen. Underneath her bio was a list of times and places. He read them. “She logged into the galley ten minutes ago.”

“The GALLEY?” Cathway exclaimed. "Full of fats and steam?" he threw his hands up. "It'll be ruined!"

“Calm yourself, Mr. Cathway. I doubt it’s still there..” Jasmine consoled him.

“Never be afraid to let the computers do what they can to help the detection process, kid. They’re there to help.” She led Purvis through the corridors of the ship to the galley area.

“How can she think to get away with this?” Purvis asked. “A theft on a starship.”

“Hope is eternal, kid. Some people just can’t help themselves.” She swiped her security card to open the door, assuring Purvis that his would be available tomorrow. “I need to speak to Canvey Frass.” Purvis said to the galley chief chef, a burly feline. “Can we use your office?”

“Ain’t got one.” The feline replied, making Purvis smell his fish breath. “Got a common room back there. An’ she ain’t here. Came in a little while back, stayed a few minutes an’ left. What’s she done?”

“We just needed a word. Can we have a look back there?” He nodded to the cooking area. The chef grunted his assent and Purvis enquired as to which was her locker. The chef pointed to one and Jasmine opened it, pulling out a shopping bag. “Check this.” She said, meaning the bag.

He looked into it and realized there was a second, metal foil style, bag inside. “The foil bag stops shop alarms going off. That’s how she got it out of the shop.”

“I’ll have to look out for that sort of thing. So, where could she have hidden the dress?” He started looking through the locker as Jasmine leaned on the worktop.

“Bulkhead, kid.” Jasmine contributed. “No secret drawers or holes. The answer’s simple.”

He straightened and looked at her. Then it dawned on him. “You’re leaning on a teleport pad!” She nodded. “I’ll check to see where the computer sent any teleports in the last ten minutes!” She smiled.

“Yeah. Bag’s too big. Dress is sendable. Go get it and then interview her in the cells.” He looked at her in shock. “I had Hasler pick her up after she left here. What?” She shrugged. “You really thought I didn’t see the bag when we passed her on our way to the tailors? Point four. Get to know the people. You’ll learn the regulars. Now get that dress, interview her and put in the report for the captain’s court.” She smiled. “We’ll make a security agent of you, Purvis!
Corp Davidstow. Don't mess with the mouse.