Twokinds: Resistance.

Post all your stories, poems, and haiku's here!

Moderator: Moderators

thewaltham22

Twokinds: Resistance.

#1 Post by thewaltham22 »

Chapter 1

The celebration was already in full swing, wine flowing like water in this dimly lit tavern in the small remote logging town of Lorden. The snow outside was up to a man’s knees, and the weather was biting cold, however, this did nothing to dampen our spirits that day. We celebrated often, commonly with just the tiniest excuse, or perhaps even with none at all, but on this day we certainly had reason to celebrate.

The large central fire pit cracked and snapped, spewing a column of thick smoke out of the large chimney, while a delicious smelling wild boar sat above the flames, roasting away on a spit. Four figures including myself sat around the fire, warming ourselves after coming in from the frigid biting cold outside, drinks in hand.

Fahlk, who was sat to my left was the first to speak up. A lifelong friend, we had known eachother since we were but children. He took a hefty swig of his flagon of ale, before standing up and addressing the motley collection of drunkards.

“Friends! Comrades! Brothers and sisters of the resistance! I propose a toast!” He raised his flagon in the air “For the Templar supply caravan’s oh so kind “donation” of their fine drinks, and their oh so gracious release of their ill begotten captives!”

The room erupted in cheers and laughter, the metallic clink of flagons being crashed together could be heard even over the cries of the raucous intoxicated rabble. Fahlk sat down, a big smile on his flushed, bearded face, and took another hefty chug, before patting me firmly on the back. “It is a fine day!” I laughed, and raised my flagon to him “A fine day indeed my friend!”

The third figure by the fire spoke up, a Basitin, seemingly not enjoying this loud, vibrant party as much as I was. “Do you fools have any concern apart from getting your blades dirty, chasing after wenches and filling your bellies with far too many drinks?” Fahlk stroked his beard, mockingly pretending to ponder what she just asked. “But what else is there in life, eh Yeva?” He bursted out laughing again. The basitin said nothing, just rolling her one good eye and shaking her head, before taking a sip of her own drink, far less deeply than the rest of us were that evening.

I had already drunk far more than a Keidran really should, however, I wasn’t even close to slowing down yet, between my large build and long years of experience with the liquid gold, I had acquired quite a resistance to such beverages.

Finally, the fourth figure spoke up, a dark skinned human called Varh, the trials of life etched firmly on his aged face. “Ah lass, have a little fun, our time on this plane is limited after all.” She gave him a glance. “This isn’t my idea of fun.” I took another swig, before interjecting. “Then you have no idea what fun is!”

The festivities extended well into the early hours of the morning, we drank, ate, danced and sang the night away as young men so often do with such little concern for the harsh morning that would surely greet us the next day.

I awoke the next morning, probably closer to noon, sprawled out on the tavern floor. My head felt like a herd of charging beasts were running around and around in circles, pounding away inside my skull with every beat of my heart. My vision slowly starting to return, I looked around me. It seemed I wasn’t the only one who had spent the night here, to my left was Fahlk, my right, Varh, sprawled out in much the same way as I was.

I attempted to speak up, but all that really came out was a pathetic hoarse murmur. I heard the door open, even this slight noise sent a surge of pain through my head. I clasped my hands to my forehead and scrunched my eyes shut with a moan. When I opened them, Yeva was standing over me, her arms folded, her single eye looking down at me with apparent disapproval. “Someone’s actually awake? Can’t say I expected that.” I focused my eyes onto her, blinking several times to try in vain to clear my vision. When I attempted to speak again, something semi understandable came out. “Not so loud.” She knelt down to my level “I’ll be as loud as I damn well please. Come, get up.” I gently shook my head, not to agitate whatever was stomping through my head further. “No, I’m good here thanks.” She grabbed me by the collar, for such a small creature she was surprisingly strong. “I wasn’t asking, I was demanding.” Unfortunately for her, I was also quite heavy, she barely managed to get me to sit upright.

“For [censored] sake! Alright, lie there for all damned eternity for all I care!” I slumped back down onto the floor. “Fine by me.” She just gave a small snarl and stomped off. “Ah! I’ve won!” I thought to myself, but she soon came back in, a small smile on her face and a bucket in her hands.

Before I could even speak, a torrent of frigid water was coursing towards me. Quite suddenly I had forgotten about being hungover, and instead must have leapt five feet into the air, a loud hiss betraying my feline ancestry.

“You lying [censored]!” I yelled, “You said I could lie there for eternity!” She placed the bucket onto the ground. “Yep, I lied.”

The other two stirred and sat up, Fahlk looking over the scene, Vahr with his hand on his forehead. “What… What jus’ happened? Yeva, what the hell are you doing?” Yeva’s smile over drenching me had long worn off, replaced by a look of stone cold seriousness. “The supply wagon we took? I found something in it, a small metal sphere. Pretty damned sure it’s enchanted. I have no idea what it is, but I knew that little heist was too easy, I’m almost certain it’s some sort of trap. Varh, you have a talent for this sort of thing, right?”

Varh got to his feet, stretching. “Agh, bloody hell. If that’s what I think it is, it’s sure as hell not good.” Fahlk rose to his feet, trying to blink away the fog that clouded his mind. “What do you think it is?” Varh looked over to Fahlk, a concerned expression washing over his weathered face. “A Templar scrying orb. Allows a mage to see through it. Lead me to it lass, if it is a scrying orb, no doubt they know of our little home home here."

We headed outside, it was warmer today however I was still soaked to the skin, making this very much a moot point. The captured supply wagon was locked up in the storehouse, a tarp covering it. I pulled it aside, and what greeted our eyes was a small metal sphere with strange inscriptions, glowing a soft blue.

We all remained silent for what seemed like an age, before Varh finally spoke up. “It is as I feared… We must leave, the Templar doubtless know where we are.” Fahlk nodded. “Aye. I’ll send the word around to evacuate the village, the Templar will come for our blood, but will find only empty buildings.”

EDIT. I'M USING A DIFFERENT STORY FOR FF15, AND I AM GOING TO KEEP THIS ONE GOING AFTER THE COMPETITION IS FINISHED.