Fan fiction CONTEST!!

Post all your stories, poems, and haiku's here!

Moderator: Moderators

cj3003
Apprentice

Re: Fan fiction CONTEST!!

#16 Post by cj3003 »

FrogSteaks wrote:
Anyway, I will not be submitting a story of my own. I lack the storytelling abilities that some of our fellow forumites posses.
Aw, come on FrogSteaks! I want to see what you can come up with :mrgreen:

Speaking of enter, I'll have to think up a good story to write. My head is already filled to the brim with ideas for TDW: Age of Negligence and the new Project Mech, so I don't know if I can even come up with something good without ripping off one of my own series'... :?

Anyway, if I don't end up creating a story, I've already applied to be a judge (but I didn't seem to get a definite answer). Though, if my judging application is turned down, I suppose I will whip up something for the contest.
I am the silliest noodle.

red.wolf
Merchant

#17 Post by red.wolf »

Soo random nit pick, im sure nobody would do this butttt. 30,000 words is a novel. 150,000 words would be a 5 book series. Now whoever would manage to crank out a 5 book series for this should win on commitment alone but figured i would mention it. My old forum story was rather long at only 42,000 words.
The first shot is not the one that matters. The last shot determines everything.

http://twokinds.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=18223---- Both Sides > My Fanfic
Both Sides: A TwoKinds Fan-fiction

Snakeman1299
Citizen

#18 Post by Snakeman1299 »

red.wolf wrote:Soo random nit pick, im sure nobody would do this butttt. 30,000 words is a novel. 150,000 words would be a 5 book series. Now whoever would manage to crank out a 5 book series for this should win on commitment alone but figured i would mention it. My old forum story was rather long at only 42,000 words.
I made it 150,000 for no reason. It doesn't seem like much but now that you say something maybe I should lower it.
Live life to the fullest, have no regrets.

Snakeman1299
Citizen

#19 Post by Snakeman1299 »

It doesn't matter I'm just gonna leave it

Neutral Smith
Templar GrandMaster
Fav. Twokinds Character: Saria's father

#20 Post by Neutral Smith »

Interesting.

I'm stuck with my own story (I know what will happen, but I can't put to words how it will happen), and writing something different might be interesting.

And a minimum of 5,000 words is huge, why didn't you use the rule 'minimum 15,000 characters, but it must fit in one post (60,000 characters)'?
If it moves but shouldn't: Duct tape. If it doesn't move but should: WD-40. With a hammer everything fits, and if it still doesn't fit: bigger hammer. If it can't be fixed with a hammer it's an electrical problem.

Snakeman1299
Citizen

#21 Post by Snakeman1299 »

Neutral Smith wrote:Interesting.

I'm stuck with my own story (I know what will happen, but I can't put to words how it will happen), and writing something different might be interesting.

And a minimum of 5,000 words is huge, why didn't you use the rule 'minimum 15,000 characters, but it must fit in one post (60,000 characters)'?
5,000 words isn't that bad I'm writing a fanfiction right now and it is 7,000 easy and it is only the first seven or eight chapters. As for the character limit for posts all you have to do is put a link on the post if its too long. There has already been an entry submitted that fits the word min. and they posted it on the story board

red.wolf
Merchant

#22 Post by red.wolf »

The big thing with word limit is time to read. If there is more then 5 stories at 7k words, thats alot of time being put into reading for a winner.
The first shot is not the one that matters. The last shot determines everything.

http://twokinds.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=18223---- Both Sides > My Fanfic
Both Sides: A TwoKinds Fan-fiction

Snakeman1299
Citizen

#23 Post by Snakeman1299 »

Well I'm not changing it anymore we will just have to judge as the stories are submitted, the competition is 3 months long so we should have enough time

MeaCulpa, S.C.M.
The Last Gunslinger

#24 Post by MeaCulpa, S.C.M. »

Mind if I hop in a touch late?

I mean, I'm probably gonna write it anyway, but 'ey.
VERY, GOOD

Snakeman1299
Citizen

#25 Post by Snakeman1299 »

MeaCulpa, S.C.M. wrote:Mind if I hop in a touch late?

I mean, I'm probably gonna write it anyway, but 'ey.
Sure just have your story done by the deadline and your as good as gold

MuonNeutrino
Templar GrandMaster
Fav. Twokinds Character: Rose, Natani

#26 Post by MuonNeutrino »

So, does the story have to have been 100% written within this period? I have a short story that I may enter, but it already has about 1000 words written (out of a final length perhaps in the 7kish range). I know in the november writing things it was a requirement that the story not have already been begun before the start of the event, but I don't see anything one way or the other here.

(If it's not allowed, I may just finish it anyway and just enter 'unofficially' (i.e. not eligible for ranking/prizes), this is at least half just an excuse to make me get off my butt and finish writing the darn thing.)

Snakeman1299
Citizen

#27 Post by Snakeman1299 »

MuonNeutrino wrote:So, does the story have to have been 100% written within this period? I have a short story that I may enter, but it already has about 1000 words written (out of a final length perhaps in the 7kish range). I know in the november writing things it was a requirement that the story not have already been begun before the start of the event, but I don't see anything one way or the other here.

(If it's not allowed, I may just finish it anyway and just enter 'unofficially' (i.e. not eligible for ranking/prizes), this is at least half just an excuse to make me get off my butt and finish writing the darn thing.)
It is allowed. It doesn't matter when it was written, or if it is unfinished, it has to be about twokinds and at least 3,000 words

MeaCulpa, S.C.M.
The Last Gunslinger

#28 Post by MeaCulpa, S.C.M. »

Quick question, why the minimum/maximum size? A 1,000 word story edited over two months would be refined to a razor's edge (shameless_plug.txt) and probably be pretty fun to read. It's not often you get the time to make sure every word and sentence is exactly the way you want it.

That maximum's pretty spooky too. a 50K story could take a while. And if someone makes a real stinker that size, that'd be just cruel to the judges.

My story's rough is probably somewhere between a third and halfway done at 5,500. I've only got about 3,500 in my thread so far, though. I'll try to make it not stink.
VERY, GOOD

Neutral Smith
Templar GrandMaster
Fav. Twokinds Character: Saria's father

#29 Post by Neutral Smith »

Snakeman1299 wrote:

5,000 words isn't that bad I'm writing a fanfiction right now and it is 7,000 easy and it is only the first seven or eight chapters. As for the character limit for posts all you have to do is put a link on the post if its too long. There has already been an entry submitted that fits the word min. and they posted it on the story board
Snakeman1299 wrote:<snip>

It is allowed. It doesn't matter when it was written, or if it is unfinished, it has to be about twokinds and at least 3,000 words
What is is? 3,000 or 5,000?

Not that I am going to change anything, but clearer rules to begin with would have been nicer.
If it moves but shouldn't: Duct tape. If it doesn't move but should: WD-40. With a hammer everything fits, and if it still doesn't fit: bigger hammer. If it can't be fixed with a hammer it's an electrical problem.

Snakeman1299
Citizen

#30 Post by Snakeman1299 »

Neutral Smith wrote:
Snakeman1299 wrote:

Snakeman1299 wrote:<snip>

What is is? 3,000 or 5,000?

Not that I am going to change anything, but clearer rules to begin with would have been nicer.
Sorry I had people complain early on about the word limit so I changed it to 3,000. I apologize.