The Dividing War: Age of Negligence [Discontinued]

Post all your stories, poems, and haiku's here!

Moderator: Moderators

cj3003
Apprentice

Re: The Dividing War: Age of Negligence [Chapter 3 is out!]

#16 Post by cj3003 »

FrogSteaks wrote:I have to say, Illusha is quickly becoming my favorite character of this story so far. I had a feeling I would like her since she's the daughter of one of my favorites from the last book, but her introduction in this chapter just confirmed it. Rather interesting to see her as a member of the watch. For some reason I envisioned the watch to be almost exclusively human.
You just have a thing for the Gorwins, don't you? :wink:
I wouldn't think the Watch is entirely human, as Farnfoss is one of few human towns that has a decent Keidran population. By decent, I mean they have the Bradfords and a few other keidran families, if you remember the little group of keidran kids playing outside at the beginning.

(Fun Fact: it's the only town in our series that does not exist in Mekkan. I will give the world map with Farnfoss on it. It's near North Leighton, in the southwest of the map, north of Trace's path, northwest of the Templar West College.)

Oh, and if you wonder what she looks like, I'm sure Austin will be happy to comply :)

(Wait, he already did...)
I am the silliest noodle.

FrogSteaks
Grand Templar

#17 Post by FrogSteaks »

cj3003 wrote:You just have a thing for the Gorwins, don't you?
I- wha- No!... maybe... sigh, yes. Well y'know, I had a thing for someone else too. But I think we all remember how well that ended, now did we? :P
You miss 100% of the shots you don't take. -Wayne Gretzky

cj3003
Apprentice

#18 Post by cj3003 »

FrogSteaks wrote:Well y'know, I had a thing for someone else too. But I think we all remember how well that ended, now did we? :P
How dare you bring back the heart-crushing memories and tears of pain and sadness (;_;) (;_;) (;_;)

Heh, really though, do you just like the Gorwins 'cause they are good characters? Backstroies? Being attracted to them?

And what about Caine, do you like him? He's technically a Gorwin. (Well, a dead one.)

cj3003
Apprentice

Re: The Dividing War: Age of Negligence [Updates Every Friday!]

#19 Post by cj3003 »

Man, I'm a good pun maker! Look at that chapter title! *cough* Ugh, sorry about that! Anyway, it's another Friday! This time, it's all about our beloved, super-shy, Delcan (well, and Samara)! You get some nice pointers on where the story is heading, and the introduction to the first fight scene! Now, I can't spoil too much, so I'll stop here :mrgreen:
After this chapter, I'm pretty sure FrogSteaks will have a new otp *nudge nudge*

Enjoy, and remember to tell us your opinion on the chapter and anything new that is introduced!

Chapter 4 - Rude Awakening

(Wrote by Jacob Hostetter)

~Delcan Bradford~

“Delcan! Wake up, you lazy [censored]!”

My eyes shot open, and I gasped suddenly. I blinked for a few moments, my mouth opened a bit. I slowly lifted my torso form whatever surface it was resting upon. I had a pounding headache and my spine rippled in pain. As my hands touched the ground below me to support my body, I noticed a source of water trickling through my pawpads. I looked down curiously and saw my body was resting in a creek that was below a hill. I rolled my eyes and stood from my feet.

Climbing upward from the lowered ground, I was surprised to see Samara standing only a few feet away from me in her red silk dress. I took a step back in fear, my breath shuddering as my eyes widened. When my foot hit the ground, it was unfortunately met with mud instead of solid ground. My body twisted and stumbled onto the the earth, landing on my back, making my aching spine shoot another wave of pain. I winced and sat up a little.

Samara approached over the hill, standing creepily on the top of it. She shrugged and crossed her arms.

“Delcan, don’t fear me. I’m not in a physical form. With my soul awakened, I can now project myself from your mind into your field of vision. That’s right, Delcan. You get to see this lovely face all the time,” she scoffed, doing a seductive pose for me.

I shook my head in disgust, “I don’t want to see you, Samara. You’re a succubus; all you do is cause trouble and try to sleep with me!”

She rolled her red eyes, “Oh please. I wouldn’t want to sleep with you, Delcan. You’d only have me do all the work.”

I gave her a grossed-out look, “Can we not talk about this? I don’t even want to think about it… Ugh.”

Samara paced around in frustration, “You know, your body is weak and frail. I tried to do something fun, but the only thing I could do before your body gave out was scare a few schoolgirls. Oh, and your sister knows everything. She used her weird magic on you to see what I did to you. We had a fun talk.”

Ran my hand through my hair, “You didn’t hurt her, did you?”

“Not physically. Maybe I caused her a bit of stress. That girl needs to stop living your life for you and live her own.”

She smiled devilishly, “Besides, you have me now.”

I stood up from my spot, brushing off dirt and mud from my tan, cloth pants. I looked at Samara with a bit of annoyance.

“More like I’m stuck with you,” I spat back.

She chuckled lightly, her red eyes folding shut, “Oh, come on. If we are going to be stuck in the same body, let’s make the best out of our relations, eh? I must say, it takes a strong-willed soul to both block a demon from possessing and also stop them from manipulating the mind. I feel as if I have some newfound respect for you, Delcan.”

“I’m honored,” I scoffed.

She shrugged, “Come on. Let’s go find your sister so she will stop pissing herself from worry.”

“Not a bad idea,” I said, agreeing.

I made my way up the grass covered hill, grunting a bit as I trotted up the awkward angle. Samara’s reflection seemed to have no difficulty burdening the task, leaving me a bit jealous at how easy it was for her. I sighed a little in tiredness as I reached the top of the hill.

Oddly, on the road across from where I was, Illusha was walking with that guy named Aneurin and a crude gathering of a sort of militia. There was maybe a dozen soldiers marching with Aneurin, most consisting of humans. However, it made sense as Farnfoss was more humans populating it than keidran, and the only basitins in this town are Illusha and her mother.

Out of curiosity, I approached Illusha to see why she was joining this odd bunch. She noticed me before I made it the whole way over and gave me a friendly wave. I waved back politely and jogged the rest of the way to her side. When I made it, I slowed down to the group’s pace and walked with them, the others oblivious to my presence.

“Morning, Delcan,” she smiled warmly, flicking her basitin-keidran mixed tail.

I nodded shyly, “H-hello. What are you doing with these men?”

“These men aren’t just anyone!” she replied pridefully, “We are the Ridgewalkers!”

A few people cheered at the words of triumph, raising there hands in the air, most of them bearing torches.

I looked around nervously, “What are the Ridgewalkers…?”

“We are a band of warriors equipped to take down the now appearing dragons. I thought they were just fables, but Aneurin was the evidence that he had slain one! Plus, people claimed to of seen one flying overhead in Farnfoss. ‘Course, there isn’t a chance that is true, because we would of seen it and taken it.”

“Oh, really?” I said, faking my interest, “I wouldn’t know anything about that…”

“Looks like that dragon’s got more to worry about than just her own kind. Now we’ve got these bozos to deal with,” Samara added.

I sneered quietly to myself, and Illusha looked at me inquisitively. I shook my head to dismiss her suspicions, mumbling an excuse.

I cleared my throat and continued, “So, you are just looking for dragons with this amount of people?”

She shook her head, “Nope, we are campaigning right now. We’re going to go from town to town rallying up any people we can recruit. It’s going to definitely be an adventure to write home about.”

“What about the Farnfoss Watch? Aren’t you one of their best officers?” I asked concerningly.

“They can manage their own,” she replied with a relaxed tone, “Besides, most of the scum are either in jail or on our little strike team.”

I chuckled lightly, assuming it was a joke of sorts. I shifted my sight from Illusha’s albino body and watched the rhythm that my feet were going at. I checked around me to see how far we’ve gotten. Looking about, I figured we were nearing the edge of town. I noticed the library resting on a corner a few steps away, and I wondered if Saige was there.

“Saige probably isn’t there, Delcan,” Samara blurted suddenly.

She had made jump in fear, and I let out a sharp squeaking sound. Tripping over myself, I lost balance and landed into Illusha’s arms. She was all so surprised and looked down at me dumbfoundedly. Her cheeks rapidly lit up in embarrassment, and she fumbled me back on my feet. I rubbed my arm awkwardly and looked at her. Illusha’s gaze was glued to the ground now, never daring to look up.

“Thanks…” I shrugged awkwardly. No response.

“Look’s like I’m not the only one that wants to sleep with you,” Samara snickered.

I shook off her speech and focused back on Illusha. I gently shook her arm to get her attention, and she looked up sheepishly. I smiled, I was usually the shy one, not Illusha. She’s a fiery and headstrong officer of the Watch most of the time, not some lovestruck teenage girl.

“Be safe,” I requested quietly. She grinned happily and nodded.

Stopping my strides, I gave Illusha a quick hug. She eagerly returned it, whispering the same words I’d said earlier to me. After the small hug, she ran to catch up with the group. I stared off her way until she came out of view. Sighing slightly, I turned around to head home.

I was instead met with Samara in front of me, her arms folded firmly into her chest.

“You never said anything about your lady over there. Why’s that?” she demanded.

I sighed with frustration, “She isn’t my lady, Samara. Even if she was, Illusha’s working with our new enemy now. It would’ve been doomed to fail at the start.”

“Whatever you say. We’ve got something to report to your dragon overlord, so let’s do that, yeah?”

“Okay, Samara. Do me a favor though.”

She raised an eyebrow to show her attentiveness.

“Just please…” I sighed, “Please. Just try to quiet, huh?”

She smiled devilishly, “I suppose I can try.”

<><><><><>

The sun was shining bright, and it was pleasant for a spring day. Looking away from the sky as I walked home, I noticed Samara’s reflection walking beside me. She caught my gaze, and I quickly turned away sheepishly, a small blush forming on my face. Samara shook her head with a grin and pressed on.

Our house was only a few steps away, and I heard some audible voices, one sounding deep and the other sounding… mystic. I pressed my pointed ear against the door to hear what the voices were saying. I gently put my hand unto the old oak door to better balance me as I eavesdropped.

“What do you mean? You gave them powers?! You’re giving teenagers that kind of responsibility? And look what it did to Delcan!” A muffled voice shouted, my ear twitching slightly. The voice was Richard’s!

I shoved my hand into my face in embarrassment. Whoever he was talking to, it wasn’t going to be pretty. I twisted the doorknob, a quiet creak sounding through the air. Richard was perched against the doorframe of Saige’s room, his right arm planted on the doorway above his head, the other in his gray hair.

Richard twirled around to see who was invading his argument. Saige appeared from the left corner of the small room, a look of surprise painted on her face. Her expression quickly changed to relief and she ran up to me. Swinging her arms around me forcefully for a hug, she rested her head on my shoulder. I closed my eyes, returning the hug gently.

“I thought you were dead, Delcan…” she said, choking up. I patted the back of her head, my fingers running through her blonde hair.

“I’m fine, Saige! I promise!” I said, laughing quietly at her worries.

She released the hug and stumbled away. She sighed in relief, closing her eyes. Saige turned the corner and went back to the left side of the room. I smiled a little as she left. I noticed Richard went back into the room without saying a word. I raised an eyebrow and investigated.

“Look, Tioleth! You almost killed Delcan!” Richard shouted to seamlessly nothing. I looked around curiously, looking for the white scaled giant. I shot an uneasy glance at Saige. She responded by pointing at the only window that was located in her small room.

“Apparently, Tioleth can shapeshift as well,” Saige said with an unamused tone, her point revealing a rather large gray hawk resting on the windowsill. I blinked once or twice at it as it’s eyes darted around the room.

“You… can shapeshift?” I questioned in awe.

The bird’s eyes started to glow as a mysterious sound filled the room. “Yes, Delcan. It’s a gift all dragons possess to better shield ourselves from the ancient hunters. We take on an secondary from to shift to so we can hide, but no dragon has more than two forms.”

I stared into the creature’s beak, assuming it would move as it spoke, but it oddly didn’t.

“Wait… how are you talking?”

The bird cocked its head triumphantly, “With the use of magic! I convert my thoughts to audible sound and emit it to the air around us. Hence why it has a bit of an odd sound to it.”

Saige stepped forward a bit, bringing forth another question.

“Hunters? Why would you need to hide from them?”

“Back when the humans arrived on this once humble continent, they saw us as a great threat. Magic was much more… fearful in those times, most humans would of been considered magical geniuses today. Of course, even though humans were magically advanced, they didn’t exactly know how to harness its true potential, so it tended to backfire on them.”

”It was much too late for our people when we unlocked this power, however. The newly founded human colonists took us down with ease. We were depending on their lack of knowledge to be their downfall, and the fact that we were much more powerful than them, but it had no effect. We were outnumbered. After the humans attacked us, we only had 5 remaining. Our kind was forced to run and hide, stowed away for… eternities, seemed.”

Richard scratched his head, “Couldn’t of you just had children?”

“We did. The only catch is, our pregnancies take… oh, a decade?”

“By the gods!” Richard gasped, throwing his arms up.

Tioleth chuckled a bit, “Yes, yes. Though, the gods were not in our favor it seemed. You see, our kind was weakened gravely after the humans’ attacked. Dragonesses had a lot of miscarriages then. All females tried to carry a child, including myself, but only one succeeded. We cherish this child deeply, but he hasn’t reported in for a while…”

Samara’s reflection suddenly fazed into the room, placing herself in on Saige’s bed that was pushed in the left corner of the room. She had her arms crossed and was staring dead at me, disappointed. She blew a strand of hair out of the way of her face in anger.

“Don’t forget to tell Tioleth about the half-assed “Ridgewalkers’, you forgetting dunce.”

“Okay, Mom…” I grunted with angst.

“Huh?” Saige questioned, giving me a weird look.

I blushed, my eyes opening wide at the realization that I said that out loud. I looked away from everyone’s staring eyes and rubbed my neck slowly, chuckling awkwardly. I noticed Samara giggling uncontrollably like a school girl. After her laughing fit, she mouthed the words “good job” to me.

Richard smiled a bit at my slight misfortune and gave me a quick pat on the shoulder. I nodded in thanks for the reassurance.

I shot a glance at the shifted Tioleth, a flash of seriousness appearing on my face.

“Tioleth!” I called out, attempting to get the bird’s attention. Tioleth’s head spun to attention quick, fluttering her wings a little.

“I’m listening, my kin.”

I took a sharp breath, prepping for the explanation that awaited me.

“Alright, I’ve got some bad news. Do you know of Aneurin Louvec?” I asked with haste.

The hawk nodded, “I’ve heard of him. A hunter of sorts, makes money by hunting big game, correct?

“Yes, only that he’s hunting bigger game, and he isn’t hunting alone. He is hunting dragons now.”

The hawk’s glowing eyes shone brighter than before, most likely to express the sudden shift of mellow emotions to more intense ones.

“Preposterous! The damned fool couldn’t lay one of his scrawny human fingers on my kind if he tried!” Tioleth shouted.

I shook my head at her ignorance, “He’s already taken down one of your one, Tioleth.”

Richard closed his eyes with grief. “That [censored] was gloating so much about killing the dragon. I was almost impressed by his tale. I didn’t… I didn’t know how little remained.”

“Who?” she demanded.

I looked down in shame, “I have… no idea. I’m sorry.”

Silence loomed in the air bitterly, no one daring to voice a word. I rubbed my forearms awkwardly, my eyes glued to the ground. Even if I did know who had died, I admittedly wouldn’t of revealed. I’d assume she would know the survivors personally, so I wouldn’t want to cause her more pain.

“I’m pretty sure it is worse not knowing who it is, you mangy fool. I’m sure a million possibilities are zipping around in her tiny bird mind… Or does she still have the capacity of her dragon mind?”

I shook my head at Samara’s joke.

Saige suddenly sniffed the air, catching the scent of something intriguing. She looked at me oddly and leaned into my shirt. I half-stepped away awkwardly, as Saige sniffed my blue sweater. She leaned back into her chair with a disapproving look on her face. I shrugged with slight aggravation, questioning her invasive action.

“Why were you hanging out with that [censored]?” Saige spat bitterly. I was surprised by her words, and I stared angrily at her.

“Why do you have such a problem with Illusha?” I shot back.

“Don’t avoid the question! Why were you talking to her?”

I paced around with frustration, trying to keep my cool. “Look Saige. No matter how hard you try, you can’t control me or my actions. I already have that influence,” I responded. referring to Samara. She waved at me invitingly, and I rolled my eyes.

“Anyway, why the hell do you care who I talk to, huh? Just because you don’t like her doesn’t mean I don’t!” I screamed.

Suddenly, my body started to quiver. My breath quickened, and I felt an odd surge of… something rush through me. Gasping desperately, I held my head to try and counteract the ungodly headache that ripped into my brain. It wasn’t just the headache that caused pain, it was everywhere. From my eyes to my feet, there was no where this unbearable pain would stop.

I started to feel dizzy, like I was losing consciousness. It was like I was drifting space, floating around endlessly, eyes closed, no thoughts. I heard a devilish chuckle echo throughout the void. My eyes opened, and I investigated the sound.

Samara was standing in front of me, a huge and evil grin on her face. Her black locks curled down from the top of her head to her shoulders, and they bounced with every step she took. Samara stopped her movements when she became face to face with me. Placing her right hand gently on my cheek, she chuckled menacingly. I tried to move my arm - or anything for that matter - but my muscles were paralyzed by the influence that Samara now had on me.

“Delcan, you shouldn’t have!” she smiled demonically, “If you wanted me to take over, just say the word! You don’t have to get all worked up for nothing, my dearest.”

I managed to move my mouth from the binds she had placed upon my weakened soul.

“[censored]… you…” I spat, my voice sounding incredibly muffled, as if something was stuffed into my mouth.

She chuckled lightly once more, giving my cheek one last stroke and a light pat to finish it off. I winced at her movements, closing my eyes in remorse.

“Don’t worry, Delcan. I’m only going to do what you wanted me to do.”

She straightened out and took two steps away from me before turning back around to face me.

“Let’s go teach your sister how to mind her own damn business.”

FrogSteaks
Grand Templar

Re: The Dividing War: Age of Negligence [Chapter 4 is up!]

#20 Post by FrogSteaks »

*feels nudge* Mneh... wha? Heh, you know me too well. Man, how come I'm the only one commenting on this story. I mean, I know I'm not the only one reading it...r- right? :|

I didn't know that the dragons were almost hunted to extinction. Makes me wonder if Nora ever met the business end of a sword blade. Yes, I know she's not in the story, but it is set in Mekkan, so...

After seeing Saige snap at Delcan the way she did, I kind of got the feeling that Illusha being a Ridgewalker is not the only reason Saige doesn't like her. I don't know, maybe I'm just looking too much into it. Oh well.

All in all, a nice set-up to what I assume will be quite the action filled fight scene. Also, I'm starting to have a few theories about what might happen in later chapters, though I'm not going to divulge. I learned my lesson the first time. :potatoes:
You miss 100% of the shots you don't take. -Wayne Gretzky

cj3003
Apprentice

#21 Post by cj3003 »

FrogSteaks wrote:*feels nudge* Mneh... wha? Heh, you know me too well. Man, how come I'm the only one commenting on this story. I mean, I know I'm not the only one reading it...r- right? :|
Well, I hope not! Well, we do have almost half of the reads of the prequel, so that's gotta count for something. Maybe they are just shy and are afraid to comment... :wink:
(If I'm being totally honest, I just think no one cares. People are mostly looking for updates on the Story Board of books they already know, and are waiting for those to be finished until the move unto stuff like this story)

FrogSteaks wrote:I didn't know that the dragons were almost hunted to extinction. Makes me wonder if Nora ever met the business end of a sword blade. Yes, I know she's not in the story, but it is set in Mekkan, so...
Maybe one day, all will be explained. Don't want to spoil too much, but have you noticed that Tioleth is both white and blue? It makes you wonder... :twisted:
FrogSteaks wrote:After seeing Saige snap at Delcan the way she did, I kind of got the feeling that Illusha being a Ridgewalker is not the only reason Saige doesn't like her. I don't know, maybe I'm just looking too much into it. Oh well.
Damn, you catch on quick, FrogSteaks! Perhaps a little... too fast?
FrogSteaks wrote:All in all, a nice set-up to what I assume will be quite the action filled fight scene. Also, I'm starting to have a few theories about what might happen in later chapters, though I'm not going to divulge. I learned my lesson the first time. :potatoes:
Yep, yep! Fight scene coming up next Friday! And for Sayyaf's sake, I would love to hear your theories! I mean, you were already right about one of them! Just PM them, that'd be fine.

cj3003
Apprentice

#22 Post by cj3003 »

cj3003 wrote:Yep, yep! Fight scene coming up next Friday!
I shan't disappoint.

Oh, and we get a new character! Woot! If you guys have seen the art thread, you already know who he is :)

Chapter 5 - The Influence

(Wrote by Austin Hostetter)

~Saige~

“[censored] me? [censored] you!” I sputtered, growling through my teeth as I stared Delcan down from across the room. His hand clenched to his chest as he panted and coughed, the other hand grasping desperately for something to hold.

“Stop fighting you two!” Richard shouted, quickly rushing between us.

Tioleth fluttered her feathered wings in a panic as she flapped onto Richard’s shoulder.

“My kin! You must calm yourselves before-!”

A heavy fist flew into Richard’s stomach as both he and Tioleth tumbled to the floor, Richard’s eyes shut tight as he groaned and curled into a ball. I looked up fearfully to find a sickly patterned Delcan twitching and cracking a horrific smile as his possessed body stumbled towards me.

“He.. fights my influence,” the twisted voice of Samara and Delcan announced as her eyes looked deeply into mine.

“But we’re angry at you Saige…” they said menacingly as his hunched body stomped forwards with every word.

“Control is so much easier… When we both want you… Dead!” the beast cried as Delcan’s claws lunged towards me. I leaned away from his hand just it time to avoid any major damage, but one of his claws grazed my cheek. I yipped in pain as I jumped back, Delcan grabbing his head as he hunched over and screeched.

N-no! I wo-won’t let you hurt her!” he cried out desperately as his body shook violently. Tioleth flew onto my shoulder and frantically transmitted her voice through the air.

“Saige! Steady your emotions and channel them through your brother!”

I looked to writhing pile of what used to be my twin and gasped as I bitterly shook my head with tears of hurt and fear streaming down my cheeks.

“I can’t! I can’t do it! It’s too much!” I pathetically cried out as I watched my brother convulse with pain and suffering on the floor.

“Think of a shared memory when you were both happy! Just do something before the demon takes control!” Tioleth impatiently shouted as shakily rose to my feet and ran to Delcan. I wrapped my arms around him in a powerful tackle, sending us both to the floor. He tried desperately to throw me off, his powerful legs clawing into mine as he screeched in resistance.

Clamping my jaws together tight to bare through the pain of his clawing, I rushed a shaky hand to his forehead as I clutched tight to his body. My soul connected with his as the world around us faded away, leaving only the shared memory of our lives channeling between us.

Warmth surrounded our bodies as we shifted from our world to a drifting memory. Smiles exchanged between happy members of our family in the memory, our last holiday we’d spent together. Cheeriness and relaxation permeated the dream, the smell of ginger and the crisp crackle of burning wood in the fireplace tickled my senses as I returned to a childlike state of wonderment.

And as fast as the memory had appeared, it drifted from my body. The pulsing pain of my wounds pounded hard in my legs as I rolled off of Delcan, panting and crying softly. I tried to move at some point, but an exhausted whimper was all I could manage. I felt warm hands wrap around my body and hoist me off in my daze, but I could remember nothing more than the hollow pain of memories passed as I slipped into a deep sleep.

<><><><><><>
“I’m so sorry… I’m a monster, Saige…”

My eyelids fluttered open as the rambling sobs at my bedside rose in pitch. I propped myself onto my elbows to sit up, rubbing my eyes as I looked around the room.

I recognized the faded metallic surface of my desk under the dim candle light that flickered across the room, and I let out a tired sigh. I must’ve been out for quite some time, as it was far into the night.

“Saige?” I heard Delcan softly whisper as my eyes adjusted to the dim lighting. He sat at my bedside in one of the plush chairs scattered around the house. His eyes were bloodshot and sunken, still moist with tears as he looked miserably back at me.

“Delcan… Why are you crying?” I muttered as I lifted a gentle hand to his cheek, sleepily petting it as I laid back down.

“I-... I hurt you really bad, Saige,” he choked out as I lazily opened my eyes to look at him again.

“Mmmnn… I feel fine, Delcan,” I muttered as I reached down to my legs for a self-evaluation. Moistened wraps covered a majority of my thighs and upper legs, and I cringed as my hand pressed against the sore flesh.

“Eh, they’re just a bit numb is all,” I consoled through tired speech as Delcan hung his head in shame.

“I’m so sorry, Saige… I’m sorry…” he sniffled as his tears dripped warmly onto my arm. I gave him a happy pat on the head as I closed my eyes and yawned.

“I’m sorry. Fighting is stupid. You’re stupid. But I’m stupid too. Life is stupid,” I muttered as my tongue flopped out of my mouth, my breathing slowing greatly as I readied my body for more well deserved rest.

Delcan gave a small giggle as he sniffled one last time before scooting the chair off and shuffling out of the room.

“Get some sleep, sis,” he said in a low voice.

“We’re going to try and stop those Ridgewalkers tomorrow while you heal up.” I waved him off with a sigh as I snuggled the sheets around me.

“Sleep is stupid,” I breathed to myself as my senses faded to the welcoming emptiness.

<><><><><><>
~Aneurin~

“And that, is how you tie up a wild boar!” I proudly announced as the hog struggled violently against its restraints. The crowd of onlookers cheered as I placed my boot atop the beast, raising my hands up into the air to joyously accept my praise.

“Oui!” a high pitched, accented voice called out from behind me, prompting me to turn and face the noisy disturbance.

“Didn’tcha daddy ever teach ya how to properly bind up these critters?”

I cracked a wide smile at the golden furred keidran as he stood atop two boars bound together, the crowd cheering once more. The dog plastered a cocky grin on his muzzle as he dropped the strings binding the hogs, letting them loose as he slyly brushed back his long locks of overly pampered hair from his brown eyes.

“Milo, what a pleasant surprise!” I chuckled, tossing aside my boar as well to free my hands for a hearty hug.

“I’d figured a prissy little rich boy like yourself was all bark and no bite!” I teased as I gave a soft punch into his gilded silver armor. He looked down in horror at his chest as he swiftly checked for any damage to his precious get-up. I rolled my eyes and waved off the surrounding crowd as I reunited with the old friend.

“Don’t be a baby, Milo. A dent or two in your armor is good for you. Might actually make it look like you do more than keep it a polished case until you wanna show off,” I added with a gritty laugh as Milo stomped his foot in frustration
“Ay! Don’t be an arsehole, old man! I paid good money for this ‘ere fine piece of craftsmanship!” he argued with his finger highlighting the fanciest parts of his gleaming armor.

“I can do with it as I see fit!” he said in a huff as I smirked at his ridiculousness.

“Just as long as you don’t plan on going to battle with that showpiece. You’re not gonna do much more than give your opponent a headache from that obnoxious glow reflecting off your chest.”

“Ya know, I don’t remember askin’ for a lecture from the world’s biggest dirtbag, Aneurin,” he said with a haughty stroke to the strands of fur that grew from his chin. I grunted in response as I headed off after the rest of our steadily growing band of hunters. Milo quickly followed after me and struck up a conversation as we walked together.

“Say old man, what is it that yer doing out here anyhows? Ya got a lotta folks with ya there, kinda looks like you’re forming an army, it does. Planning on revamping the ‘ole Templar gang are ya?”

I smugly smiled and shook my head, running my hand over the scruffy hair that had started growing on my chin.

“No, those days are in my past. Templars have a bloody reputation, and I’d rather not be associated with that.”

Milo nodded thoughtfully and rested his hand on the jeweled hilt of his sword.

“Well, spit it out then! Why’s it thatcha come here with this massive group of people?”

Before I could answer, Ilusha opened the entrance to the tavern that we were walking by and flagged us down with a wave of her hand.

“Aneurin! I finished getting the names of the enlistees!” she announced as Milo and I lumbered our way up the mangled wooden porch to Ilusha.

“Enlistees?” Milo asked as Ilusha nodded and looked down to the scroll in her hands.

“We’re forming a band of hunters, Milo. We’re going to hunt down whatever remains of those vile dragon beasts!” I declared as Ilusha flashed a strained smile to us.

“Yeah, though there hasn’t been much of that happening… I was promised an adventure, not paperwork and a second job in which I don’t get paid,” Ilusha said in a low voice as I awkwardly coughed and looked away. I felt the judging stares of both Milo and Ilusha press into me as I adjusted my headpiece and cough.

“Well…” I started before Milo shook his head and smirked.

“I swear Aneurin, yer more of a dog than I am,” Milo scolded, turning back to Ilusha with a polite smile and bow to the armored basitin.

“Ya should never make a lass as pretty as her do yer dirty work, don’tcha know?” he said with a sly smile up to Ilusha. She raised her eyebrows and gave a small smile of disbelief as she looked at the glimmering Milo.

“I’m flattered, but I’m more than capable of handling myself,” Ilusha said with a proud grin forming on her face. “I’m one of the head officers on the Farnfoss watch.”

Milo became visibly uncomfortable at the mention of her guard duties as he swallowed hard and shuffled back a bit.

“Eheh… You’re a guard then?”

Ilusha distractedly nodded as she looked back down to her list, unaware of the disturbed dog’s display.

“It looks like we’ve got around a hundred men and women signed up right now, Aneurin,” she announced as her gray eyes glanced into mine. I could barely keep my jaw from dropping at the number. I stumbled back in shock and nearly lost my balance as I laughed in disbelief.

“Surely you must be kidding, Ilusha! Did word of our adventure really spread that fast?” I incredulously asked.

“Ya know, I wouldn't doubt that there for a moment, old man. The folk ‘round here are restless, too many ex-soldiers ‘n retired adventurers ichin’ for another shot at glory,” Milo said, recovered from his previous nervousness.

“Yeah, I know all too well how rowdy that crowd gets when they’ve been stuck in their homes for too long,” Ilusha lamented with a sigh.

“I bet gettin’ out like this‘ll be good for the lot of ‘em. Nothin’ like a good ‘ole dragon hunt to getcha blood pumping properly through ya,” Milo said with a nod.

“Actually, lass, would’ja be willing to sign me up too? Been quite some time since I got meself into a good ‘ole adventure!” Milo declared as I rolled my eyes and whispered off to Ilusha.

“More like the first time…” I muttered to her, both of us sharing a chuckle as Milo launched an angry glare to us.

“Ey! I ’eard that!” he yelled with an offended look of distaste locked on his muzzle.
As we teased at the pampered fool joining our team, I took notice of an approaching pair of people running up the hill with the vigor of a galloping race horse. Honing in my weakening vision on the two, I quickly recognized the human.

“Richard?” I called out as he and a snow wolf ran up to us, panting from their marathon. I nodded with respect as the phoney and his partner nearly collapsed in front of us.

“Huh, I suppose I owe you an apology, Richard. I had you cut out for nothing more than a story teller, didn’t expect you’d actually show up to enlist with the Ridgewalkers!” I said with an enthusiastic pat to his back. He shot a heated glare of angry at me as he shook off my hand and pointed an accusing finger in my face.

“Im not here to enlist, [censored]!” he breathlessly shouted as a gray falcon landed on his shoulder and screeched at me as well. I blinked with confusion and glanced between him
and the snow wolf. I saw the young wolf give a timid wave to Ilusha, who blushed and silently waved back.

“Oh, then uh… what did you want me for?” I asked as I watched the falcon on Richard’s shoulder mystically stare back at me.

“Ohoho-HO! I’ll tell you why we’re here! You and your petty group of-”

Richard’s speech was interrupted by a high pitched squeal of excitement from behind me. Startled, I turned around to see Milo rushing up to the young wolf and prancing around him, giddily blabbering about the poor soul.

“By the Masks! I can’t believe me eyes! Oh! OH! You’re Delcan Bradford ain’tcha!? You must be! The nobelist heir to the throne! AH!” Milo squealed with delight as he showered the extremely stunned and uncomfortable wolf with his praise and excitement.

“Y-yes, I am…” the wolf shyly stated as he fiddled with his blue shirt.

“Ahaha! I’m a huge fan yer highness, allow me to introduce myself! I am Sir Milo Fennegar!”

Milo stood as tall as he could with his introduction, his shining armor and heroic tone almost convincing enough to make someone believe that he could be nobility. His long blond hair flowed effortlessly in the wind as the rushing air ruffled the fluffy mane that stuck out from his armor.

“O-oh, well, Milo, I’m not actually royalty, only my mother was…” Delcan trailed off as his cheeks became red with embarrassment.

“Nonsense! Ya can’t fool me lad, I’ve been keepin’ an eye on the ruling thrones of the world, and yer next in line me boy!” Milo exclaimed.

Delcan’s eyes darkened for a moment as he angrily whispered beside him, turning back to address Milo as if nothing had happened. Richard waved our attention back to him as he shouted above Milo and Delcan’s conversation.

“We’re not here to talk about royal politics!” Richard said as he turned to me with hatred burning in his eyes. “We’re here to stop you, Aneurin.”

I raised my eyebrows and frowned.

“Stop me from what?” I coolly replied as I motioned to the growing number of followers resting in the town. “We’re hunting dragons. If you somehow forgot, they’re the most wretched and vile of beasts in the history of mankind. They’re monsters too powerful for their own good, and its my personal mission to make sure these weapons of war are slain!”

Richard’s hawk spread it’s wings and cawed angrily at me as Richard struggled to keep it in check.

“Yeah! Ya tell ‘em what’s for, old man!” Milo cheered from behind.

“They aren’t tools, Aneurin! They’re living creatures with free will, who also happen to be going dangerously extinct!” Richard blurted as I sighed and drug my hand down my face in frustration.

“The closer to extinction they are, the better. In my days as a Templar, I saw the level of destruction and terror these beasts could bring.” I closed my eyes as the vivid memories of fear and villages being wiped out in single attacks rushed through my mind.

“I’d never experienced such unfiltered rage and destruction in my life… The officers meant to control these beasts would be killed with just a shout of the giant brutes. The madness these ancient creatures of lore brought upon the world will forever be burnt into my memory, and I’ve long vowed to end their reign of terror,” I said quietly, the vision of my hometown, Bannerville, burning to the ground lingering in my thoughts.

“This just proves my point! You said it yourself, the Templar’s imprisonment of the dragons is what made them violent!”

“No!” I yelled in response, angrily gritting my teeth. “The Templars wanted to control the because they were so violently powerful! It’s my duty to wipe any trace of these monsters from the face of the planet, so that they can’t do any more damage than what they’ve already done!”

Delcan stepped forward with confidence as his eyes locked onto mine.

“Aneurin, killing them won’t change what’s in the past! Death doesn’t recreate life!” he desperately argued as I shook my head with disapproval.

“No, but it sure as hell can save them,” I announced as I turned to walk away, abandoning the lost cause of reasoning with these people.

“Hey, where do you think you’re going!” Richard shouted as I marched off. I turned one last time to the group and scowled.

“I’m done speaking with your poisoned minds. Unless you plan on bringing an army to stop us, we’re going to be fighting for a righteous purging of these beasts.”

I motioned for Milo and Ilusha to follow as I turned back towards the town.

“Let’s go,” I ordered as Milo jogged to my side, Ilusha lingering back a bit as she looked to Delcan. She caught up after a few moments and I smiled silently to myself as I started whistling a tune I’d heard at the tavern a few nights back.

“Ay, old man!” Milo said with a hard nudge to my arm to get my attention. “Ya think those folks are gonna give us any trouble?”

I glanced back to the distraught group arguing with their bird and chuckled.

“I don’t think so, Milo,” I responded with a smile.

Ilusha gave a worried sigh and hung her head down as she shut her eyes sadly.

“I sure hope not, those guys have been my friends since I was little,” she said with unease.

Milo shifted from my side to Ilusha’s side with a bright smile and wrapped an armored arm around her shoulder and gave her a friendly hug.

“Dont’cha worry yaself over it too much now lass! Ya have me honor that we won’t hurtcha friends, they seem like wonderful people!” Milo said with a ignorant and glowing grin.

I rolled my eyes and let out a hearty chuckle at the eccentric dog.

“I think you’re just blinded by how much you love that Delcan fella!” I teased Milo.

“I don’t love him!” Ilusha and Milo simultaneously replied, both turning scarlet and sending confused looks between each other. I laughed as the two stumbled awkwardly away from each other and called back to the pair.

“Hey, Bradford fanclub, hurry it up before you get left behind!” I shouted as I heard an angry flurry of accented and feminine denials rush up behind me.

I smiled blissfully as my partners argued in a flustered mess about Delcan. I felt sorry for Richard and his lot. Their ignorance would be their downfall, and they would be caught fighting a losing battle against a noble cause. But if anything can be said about the world, it’s that fear always finds its ways into the hearts of fools.

cj3003
Apprentice

Re: The Dividing War: Age of Negligence [Chapter 5 is up!]

#23 Post by cj3003 »

Chapter 6 - Wounded

(Wrote by Jacob Hostetter)

~Saige Bradford~

“What is taking them so long?” I whispered to myself impatiently, “And where are they even at?”

I sighed and leaned back into my puffed pillow. My head turned over to the left, catching a glimpse of the metallic desk that sat beside me. The surface was scattered with books, scrambled notes, and disorganized writing utensils. I reached my hand over top the desk that was taller than my bed, and I searched my desk for a book. After a few attempts, my hand pressed against a book and grasped it.

Pulling it up to my vision, I read the title of the book.

“Alchemic Symbols Vol. II,” I commented to myself, “Let’s just hope nothing interrupts this moment of pea-”

The front door flung open, followed by a rather pissed Richard stomping into the room. I could see the door from my bed, but the view was cropped by the doorway of my bedroom.

“Damn it…” I whispered frustration.

Delcan was next after Richard, having a worried look painted on his face. He quickly ran over to my room, leaning in to see if I was in here. His uneasy expression quickly shifted to a gleeful one, and he walked carefully to my bedside. I smiled at him, knowing he had an ungodly amount of stress and despair weighing him down.

“L-listen… I wanted to talk about earlier, while I have the chance,” Delcan sputtered.

I shook my head politely, “You don’t have to talk about if you don’t want to. It’s clear it makes you uncomfortable.”

“No!” he demanded, “I have… I have to discuss this with you. I-I don’t want you to see me as a monster, Saige.”

A few teardrops fell from his eyes, shutting his eyes forcefully. He buried his face in his hands with frustration, slumping on the left side of my bed where my body didn’t occupy.

“I’m sorry, Saige! I didn’t mean to hurt you! I just… I was angry at you, and she likes to target my soul when I’m emotionally unstable. She’s done this even before… the awakening. She’d try to mess with my head when I was feeling down.”

I reached out and touched his cheek sentimentally.

“Look, Delcan. You aren’t a monster,” I said gently, transferring a little of my tranquility into his emotions with one tiny and warming glow.

“It’s all my fault, really. I knew about Samara, and she truly is a ticking time bom-”

“Wait!” my brother shouted in surprise, “You knew about Samara...?”

“Well, of course I do! When a succubus confronts you, I’m pretty sure you wouldn’t forget it. Plus the fact I kinda saw the memory of her invading your body for the first time,” I said with a grin.

Delcan looked at me with shock, “You c-can do that?”

I nodded, “Yea, it’s a little parlor trick I acquired when Tioleth had awakened me. There’s a lot of things I can do now…”

My brother looked down sadly, “The only thing I got from Tioleth was a more powerful Samara. She didn’t finish the transfer of magic before… before Samara took over for the first time.”

He looked at me with tear in his eyes, “I almost had forgotten about her, Saige. She was almost just a bad dream I could move away from. But now…”

Delcan looked at his trembling hands. He clenched them together with frustration, shutting his eyes forcefully once more.

“I can’t let Samara and my emotions control me anymore!” he shouted, “Because if I do… someone might get hurt again.”

“Delcan, everything will be fine. Yes sure, I was injured, but it’s nothing that an adept mage like myself can’t heal,” I said confidently, pointing at myself with my thumbs. He smiled at my childish self-compliment.

“Can… Can I see them?” he asked, requesting to look at my injured legs.

I tossed the quilt away from my body and propped my legs on the now bundled up blanket. My white-furred legs were covered mostly with bandages below my knees. A massive blood stain occupied most of the white on the bandage, and a few lines of dried blood had run past the bandage, matting my fur. Delcan looked horrified at the sight and quickly shifted his sight away from my legs.

“Don’t worry, I sealed the wounds for the most part with a spell, and I also numbed the pain with magic. I’m going to keep these bandages on to avoid any infections, but… I need to change them, if you don’t mind.”

“Do you… want me to l-leave?” he asked, obviously uneasy from looking at the blood-soaked bandages.

“It would probably be for the best.”

<><><><><>

~Delcan Bradford~

I sat out beside Saige’s room, waiting for her. Richard was discussing something with Tioleth in the kitchen, the bird still resting on his shoulder. I guess she’s found her new perch. I leaned my head back against the wall, closing my eyes. I could still remember waking up next to Saige, blood spilling from her legs and covering me.

“It’s not your fault, Delcan.”

I turned to my right, surprised to hear a voice. It was Samara, she was leaning against the wall casually on the other side of the doorway. Her red eyes were closed and her head was dipped down, looking almost… regretful.

“Look, even though I hate that girl, I can’t help but feel your emotions as well. It comes bundled with being a part of your soul. Now, with most souls, it’s easy to block out all emotions that the host is feeling, and for the most part I can. But your soul is incredibly strong, and it’s hard to block any feelings you have. Sure, I can soften the blow a little, but when you dwell on an emotion, I do too.”

“So you are saying that you… care?” I asked curiously, a small but devious grin arising on my lips.

“Only because I have too!” she shouted with frustration. I chuckled at her misfortunes, smiling indefinitely now.

Samara sighed, blowing a strand of her curly black hair away from her mouth.

“If it makes you feel better, I wish I hadn’t done what I did, alright? She was a family member… and I didn’t let back. Though, it feels good to be in control. We make a good team, you and I.”

I pondered for a moment.

“You know, we don’t always have to be fighting for my body.”

She looked at me oddly, “What are you getting at?”

“Well, if we cooperate, we could become better. You could help us take down the Ridgewalkers,” I suggested nonchalantly.

Samara chuckled a little, scoffing at my proposal.

“I assume by ‘cooperation’ you mean I let you take up some of my soul to boost your strength?”

I nodded sheepishly, guessing she was on the road to rejecting my recommendation.

“Look Delcan, even if I wanted to ‘cooperate’, I’d just end up taking over your soul. It’s a part of being a demon, we are just naturally greedy. And powerful,” she said.

“Well, can’t you just control yourself? You don’t have to hurt anybody when you take over, right?”

Our conversation was interrupted by Saige walking out from her room. She looked down at me with a grin.

“Hey. I’m all better now.”

“I guess we will talk later, Delcan,” Samara sighed, her reflection evaporating into thin air. I looked past Saige’s body to see Samara leaving. She in turn looked behind her to see what I was looking at.

“Something wrong?” She asked, giving me a funny look. I shrugged and stood up to my feet.

“Eheh, no. I just thought I saw something… over there.”

“Oookay… Let’s go see what Richard’s up to, yeah?” Saige suggested. I nodded and we made our way to the kitchen.

I saw that Tioleth was now on a counter instead of on Richard’s shoulder. She was resting on the surface, while Richard leaned on it, both of them discussing casually. Richard caught sight of us and waved us over.

“Hey, kids. How are you doing, Saige? Feeling any better?” he asked politely.

“A little sore and groggy, but I healed my wounds for the most part and redressed them as well.

Richard nodded happily at the good news. He rotated his torso to face me, looking into my eyes.

“What about you, Delcan?” he asked in a serious and concerning tone.

I looked away from his gaze and held my arm in shame.

“I feel… guilty. Regretful. I shouldn’t have let my emotions get the best of me. I won’t let it happen again.”

“This isn’t your fault, my kin,” Tioleth piped in, “It is I who proceeded into the awakening when knowing the risks. It’s not your choice that the succubus targets you at your lowest moments.”

“I know, I know. But I can’t help but feel responsible. I wish… I wish I could have done something.”

Richard lifted my sulking body up in consolement, “Look at me, Delcan. This isn’t your fault, okay? And besides, Saige is a-okay now. No harm done.”

He stepped back and faced all of us, “But we have more urgent matters to deal with. Saige, in case you were wondering where we were, Delcan and I approached the Ridgewalkers.”

“Oh? What did they say?”

“Well, we tried to negotiate with them peacefully, but they took as like a joke. Aneurin and his half-assed recruits have it hot-wired in their brains that all dragons are beast of evil. And as you can see, they aren’t,” Richard explained, pointing to Tioleth. She made a face that I could assume is a happy one, but I’m not exactly an expert on bird expressions.

Richard continued, “They are going from town to town to get any able body to fight for them. Aneurin says the only way we can stop him is with an army. Well, more or less.”

“And how do you suppose we find an army to fight for us?” Saige questioned skeptically.

Richard sighed. “We are going to have to assemble one ourselves. Look at you, Saige! You’re a skillful mage who’s now got some sort of spooky brain powers! And you, Delcan!” he shouted zealously, “You’ve got a crazed demon living inside you! If you can lean to somehow control it-”

“Wait!” Samara interrupted, blocking out Richard’s voice in my mind, “Did he just called me crazed? And did that [censored] refer to me as an ‘it’?!”

“Ack! Calm down, Samara!” I blurted out loud, wincing and holding my head.

“Let me at him, Delcan!” she demanded.

“Ooooh… I angered it, didn’t I?”

Samara’s rage increased substantially, “That’s it, [censored]! Now you’ve done it! You’re dead!”

I smiled as Samara struggled to control my soul.

“Come on, now! He didn’t mean any harm!” I joked, enjoying me being in control for a change.

“Either way, we have to assemble an army that is powerful enough to face off against the Ridgewalkers. I’m sure at the first sight of Tioleth, most will run. A lot of those scrawny recruits are probably just cowards who have convinced themselves otherwise.”

Tioleth flapped her wings to grab our attention, “He is correct, most humans and keidran fear dragons, whether they’d like to admit it or not. Our only problem is, that’s our only advantage. None of us have proper combat experience.”

Richard crossed his arms, “Speak for yourself, Tioleth.”

“There is a reason I said proper, Richard,” Tioleth replied slyly, “Your crude adventures aren’t enough to make up for the strength of Aneurin and his army. You must remember he is of Templar origins, and even though their methods were misguided and corrupt, they were effective. Who knows how that man will train his followers.”

“So… what do we do then? How we face up against a Templar-driven army without being decimated?” I asked, fearing a bit for my life.

“Richard wasn’t wrong about what he said about you two. Saige is an impressive mage, and coupled with her newly acquired powers, she will be an enemy you wouldn’t want to encounter. And you Delcan, if you can somehow learn how to control Samara or at least get her on our side and willing to cooperate, your combined power will destroy any enemy in our paths.”

“However, none of us will still know how to fight properly. We would need someone who can teach us in the art of swordplay and someone to provide us with weapons and armor. Perhaps someone who can repair said armor and weapons so we don’t have to rake in gold after every fight. I, however, can teach Saige how to hone her magic skills and improve them. But it will be hard while I’m confined to my animalistic form, and I cannot be in risk of exposing my true dragon form to teach you.

“I… might have a solution for that, Tioleth,” Saige said unsurely.

“Let’s hear it, child.”

“Well, I have done a bit of study on black magic, and… well, apparently you can bind a soul to a dead body and have the soul occupy it. Kind of like how that succubus Samara is inside Delcan, only the body isn’t sharing two souls.”

“Wait, wait! Isn’t black magic incredibly dangerous and harmful to the user?” Richard asked concerningly.

“Only if you are an idiot,” Saige said with a cocky smile, “When the Templars used it, they extracted from the life around them - which is a correct method - but it wasn’t enough energy to cast such a needy spell. They also had to extracted from their very soul, causing their souls and body to slowly become corrupt.”

She continued, “There is an alternative method they hadn’t thought of at the time. This method has the spell feed off of the user’s life force, meaning it would eat away at your energy. Yes, this method could result in death if used irresponsibly, but completing the spell I want to will only leave tired afterward. You see, unlike the traditional way of casting black magic, your life force is easy to recover if you extract from it, as you can simply sleep to recover it. But if you extract from soul, it’s near impossible to recover that missing piece.”

“That is an interesting theory, Saige. I am impressed,” Tioleth complimented. Saige smiled confidently, showing her teeth and closing her eyes.

Tioleth quickly stomped on her success, “But! There is one complication you haven’t considered.”

Saige studied Tioleth with skepticism, “Really?”

“Your theory is plausible without a doubt, but the spell won’t work on a living soul. There isn’t a way to just merge a soul that is inside someone to an empty body. Luckily for us, there is an alternate way around this.”

Saige shrugged, “There is almost always another way. Let’s hear it.”

“If I channel my soul into said body, you could use black magic to create a mask - if you will - of my dragon form, making it so I can no longer shift that form until I make my soul destroy the mask. It’s clean and simple, and will make it so I can walk among you.”

“That’s all handy-dandy, but we will have to find a dead guy in order to do so. And I for one am not for searching around a catacomb for a dead and decaying body,” Richard complained in a rather disgusted tone from his own thoughts.

“That isn’t our main priority anyway, Richard,” Tioleth said, “I believe I have a lead on a family of blacksmiths that could be of assistance. We shall gather up weaponry from there and be on our way.”

“Well, what are we waiting for? Let’s go!” I cheered.

“Not so fast, Delcan! We still need to know where the hell we are supposed to go,” Richard smiled.

“Of course, pardon me for forgetting to mention,” Tioleth murmured in excuse.

“We are going to a village south of here named North Leighton. That is where we should find the family who will hopefully to assist us in our endeavours.”

“Right, I know where that is,” Richard stated.

“North Leighton?!” Samara complained in my mind, “That’s a week and a half walk! You’ve gotta be kidding me!”

“At least you don’t have to walk there, you get to sit in my mind…” I grumbled.

“Are we headed off, then?” Saige asked eagerly.

Richard nodded, “I’ll wrangle up some supplies and we will be headed off to North Leighton in no time.”

I can’t believe we are actually going on an adventure of sorts. Well, I do suppose the fate of all dragons rests in our hands… I just hope Tioleth knows what she is doing. I normally wouldn’t question the likes of an ancient dragoness, but this plan seems just too… simple. I hope her leadership is enough to pull us through.