The Dividing War [Complete]

Post all your stories, poems, and haiku's here!

Moderator: Moderators

FrogSteaks
Grand Templar

Re: The Dividing War [Chapter 11 is now up!] [Near Completio

#16 Post by FrogSteaks »

Ok, so I started reading this about a week ago and I literally just finished reading the most recent chapter before writing this. Man, I'm really enjoying this story. The way the characters interact with one another is amazing, especially Caine and Liv. :)
Can't wait to see the conclusion to this conflict, though I get the feeling I might not like everything that happens.

Oh, and as for my favorite character, it's a toss up between Sayyaf and Liviana. Polar opposites, I know, but there's just something about them.
Spoiler!
And thank you for not killing either of them off...yet.
Honorable mention to Luke, though. He doesn't beat around the bush. Too bad he had to go...
You miss 100% of the shots you don't take. -Wayne Gretzky

cj3003
Apprentice

#17 Post by cj3003 »

FrogSteaks wrote: Sayyaf
FrogSteaks wrote:Can't wait to see the conclusion to this conflict, though I get the feeling I might not like everything that happens.
FrogSteaks wrote: And thank you for not killing either of them off...yet.
oh god i'm so sorry

(Also, thank you so much for all your kind words, both here and on the Newbie board. Austin and I work diligently on that book, and we are always please to find out people are appreciating our work. Oh, and a new chapter is arriving soon. I managed to split the last chapter AGAIN lol)
I am the silliest noodle.

FrogSteaks
Grand Templar

#18 Post by FrogSteaks »

cj3003 wrote: oh god i'm so sorry
:o Y-you don't mean... he's gonna...? Gah, now I really can't wait for the next chapter.

cj3003
Apprentice

#19 Post by cj3003 »

FrogSteaks wrote:Gah, now I really can't wait for the next chapter.
I have failed you all. I split the last chapter AGAIN. More anticipation? Eh, why not? Instead of the end, you get some more building tension! Either way, enjoy chapter 13!

Chapter 13 - Missed Time (Wrote by Jacob Hostetter)
[/b]

“Who’s going in first?” one of the scouts asked.
“I am,” I responded hastily, “I need to be the first person he sees.”

“What about us? What are we going to do?” another scout chimed in.

“You scouts guard this window and both the door to Skuli’s room and the door at the end of the spiral staircase,” Vera said to them, “Sayyaf, Carter, and I will attack Skuli.”

“Yes, ma’am!” they responded.

We climbed in through the window, the heat of the lamps that light up the corridor hit us like a wall, and it was rather inviting. Five of eight scouts followed us through the window, and the other three stood outside of the window, weapons ready to strike. Three of the scouts walked up beside us, and the other two walked down the stairs to proceed to the door.

I crept quietly to the Skuli’s door and pressed my long ear against it, listening in for sounds. I zoned out all visual distractions and focused on any little bump in the night. After a few brief seconds, I heard a glass cling against something, accompanied by a page turning.

“Of course, Father is drinking. Charming as ever, I see…” I whispered to myself.

I straightened out and looked at the wooden door. “Let’s go,” I demanded. Sayyaf and Vera nodded to show me that they were ready. I forced the door open, the bearings creaking indefinitely. Unsheathing my sword, I scanned the room.

The room was colored sort of pure, dark red, and the furniture matched the color of the wallpaper. The border that lined the top of the wall was colored gold, having a sort of criss-crossing pattern with many arches and curves across diagonal lines. The left side of the room was significantly shorter than the right side, the left only being able to have a bookshelf and an enormous wine collection on its side. On the other hand, the right side was the main attraction of the room. A royal bed with silk, red drapes coming from the ceiling was placed in the middle of the right side, filling a large portion of the room. A vanity was located on the right of side of the bed, cluttered with various hygiene products.

Of course, the thing I was looking for was placed on the bed, drinking wine and reading literature.

“Carter! What a surprise,” my father scoffed, not looking from his book, “Please do take a seat, my boy. We have much to talk about.”

He looked up briefly and scanned Vera and Sayyaf up and down.

“Keep your barbarians out of my room, please,” he demanded poshly. I clenched my fist in anger, and gritted my teeth.

“They stay here,” I spat back.

He shrugged lazily, his wine stirring in the glass placed in his hand. “Suit yourself, then.”
I marched up over to the bedside, and whacked the book off the bed, the thing flopping heavily on the tan wooden floor. He looked up in frustration, letting me catch a glimpse of his emerald green eyes, identical to mine. Skuli chuckled lightly, and let the frustration drip from his face. Easing up, he swung his feet of the bed, the mattress bending to his will. Father stood up from the royal red bed, and shuffled slowly to the window.

Peering out of the window, he spoke to me. “Carter, why are you here?”

I shook my head softly, “You know why I’m here.”

“Oh?” he responded, “Could be that you want to see your old man, huh?”

“If I had a choice, I’d never have you in my life again, Skuli.”

Father sucked in air sharply, “That stings, son. Why the cruelty?”

“Why the hell do you think?!” I shouted at him. “Do you honestly believe I can forgive you after what you did?”

Skuli shut his eyes, and faced away from me. “I regret that, Carter, I really do. You’re mother… she was so sweet.”

“Shut up, you [censored]! You don’t care about Mother, you never did!” I screamed at him.

He turned around to face me, “What makes you think that? If I didn’t care for her, you wouldn’t have been born.”

“No. You probably just wanted to sleep with her. Who knows how many others you’ve done that with? If you truly cared for my mother, you would of been there to help her raise me, hell, you would of been to do anything!”

“My duties as a king forced me to stay here, son. I had to be here for my people. You should understand that.”

I scoffed, and looked away in disbelief. “And what a ‘grand leader’ you are! You’ve thrown whoever is even loyal to you anymore against the Heywood Army and they damn rebels, for what? An extra few miles of land? Maybe some more money from their businesses? Or did you just do it because you could?”

“You don’t need to know my reasoning, Carter,” he said subtly.

“You’re right. I already you know how much of a selfish [censored] you are, so I can assume you attacked Heywood for some reason that only benefits you?”

He turned around to me slowly, anger filling his face quickly. “They have no place here. The Basitins belong on their shameful islands where they can be boarded up by their own rules. The only reason they even have a town in here is because of the damn treaty between the Templars. They said, ‘Your kingdom can have protection from the War as long we have foothold in your lands.’ I guess the dirty Basitins gained some land here so the Templars could keep their friends close.”

Vera stepped in from the doorway, and firmly planted her foot unto the wooden floor. “You have no right to take their home away from them, King Azelinus!”

Skuli simply smiled and let a short laugh and approached Vera slowly from the window. When he passed me, he rammed into my shoulder, unbalancing me for a moment. I quickly regained my balance, and my face got red in rage. I came to confront him, but he had stopped in front of Vera, who was staring in his eyes with both confidence and bit of anger.

“I’m sorry lass, but who do you think you are?” Skuli said with a sick grin on his face, as if he was winning.

She stared into his eyes, shifting a bit but never breaking eye contact.

“I am Vera Sullivan, one of the leaders of the Snow Wolf Rebellion.”

“Ah, so you’re a dog to them, huh? I see… you used Carter to get to me. Clever, I will admit, but you can’t break me, girl.”

I trotted up to him and forced him to face me by spinning his shoulder. “No, Dad. I came on my own accord. I came to stop you.”

“Son, I appreciate the thought, but you and your girlfriend can’t convince me to stop this war. They’ve already taken so much fro-”

“That’s not what he meant, you idiot!” Sayyaf said, stepping in as well. “We are here to kill you. Once and for all.”

Skuli backed up and chuckled heavily. “Oh, you people are the fools. Do you think killing me is going to change anything? Someone will just take my place.”

“There’s no one left who has the loyalty to do that, sire,” Vera said, chiming in. “You do realize the majority of the Snow Wolf population are a part of the Rebellion, right?”

“Still, if you kill me, the people will create an anarchy!” he reasoned.

“These people listen to leaders like Vera, Skuli,” Sayyaf said, crossing his arms.

Skuli sighed heavily, clenching his fist. “I didn’t want to have to do this, Carter, but you’ve made me draw my hand. If you want a fight, then so be it.”

cj3003
Apprentice

Re: The Dividing War [Chapter 13 is now up!] [Near Completio

#20 Post by cj3003 »

And so we have done it, my readers. We have made it to the end (for real this time).
...Try not to cry too much.

Chapter 14 - The Beast in All (Wrote by Austin Hostetter)
[/i]

~Sayyaf~

“A fair fight?” Carter spat incredulously at the proposition from his father. Skuli gave a subtle nod as he tossed aside the mana crystals wrapped around his neck and drew out his sword.

“No magic, no tricks. Just one on one,” Skuli calmly stated as Carter unsheathed his sword with an unsure hand.

“You have my honor,” Skuli tried after a few seconds of silence.

“Your honor means nothing to me.”

Skuli winced a bit at Carter’s words, and I smiled darkly at his confidence. His father hadn't an ounce of honor left in him, and I’m glad that Carter could recognize that.

“Carter…” Skuli sadly closed his eyes and lowered his sword, making the room fall silent as I swiftly looked in between Carter and Skuli.

Carter looked tough and ready to fight, but at the same time, I could sense the fear in his body. His words were clear and mighty, but his actions were fumbly and unsure. Skuli, in the meantime, had a look of genuine anguish on his face as he slipped his hand into his pocket to pull something out.

I gave sideways glance over to Vera, and saw her in the same way that I was: prepared for battle, but waiting for a signal to strike. Her blue eyes shimmered in anticipation as her hand laid heavily on the hilt of her broadsword.

Through the overwhelming silence in the room, I heard Carter’s breath shakily gasp. I whipped back around to see his jaw hanging open with wide eyes as Skuli revealed a pearl necklace with a large black pearl on the end of it. He looked Carter sentimentally in his eyes as the poor boy tried to speak.

“Th-those are…!”

“Your mother’s prayer beads,” Skuli softly finished as he closed his eyes and wrapped them slowly around his sword.

“Your mother was always praying for you, Carter. Every time I was with her, she asked the gods to bring you peace and happiness above all things.”

Carter’s held his sword with shaky hands as he spoke.

“No! You’re a monster! You didn’t love her!” Carter angrily shouted, on the edge of hysteria.

“I did love her Carter, and I still do.” Tears formed in Skuli’s eyes as he continued.

“You just want to see me as a monster because it’ll make it easier for you to kill me, Carter. But I’m not a monster. I’m just a man, a husband…” Skuli closed his eyes as tears flowed softly from his pained face, “... A father who made many mistakes.”

“No! I- You can’t! No!” Carter sobbed as his body trembled with emotion.

Skuli steadied his breathing back to a calm beat before clearing his throat to address Carter once more.

“I know you hate me, son… But I’ll always be your father, no matter what happens.”

“No! You need to die!” Carter screamed as he gasped through his tears.

Skuli looked down silently to the floor with a sigh as Carter wiped away the evidence of their emotional exchange.

“I know I do,” Skuli said in barely a whisper, before shooting his eyes up with searing intensity to Carter.

“But I won’t let you kill me, Carter. Nor do I want to kill you.” Skuli raised his blade up into the air, causing me to prepare a fireball spell in the palm of my hand.

“So I choose neither!”

Skuli suddenly flipped the sword to face himself, driving the blade deep into his chest as he screamed and fell to the floor, impaled. My gut dropped at the grisly sight as Vera and I froze in shock. Carter, though momentarily stunned by Skuli’s bizarre stunt, was quickly over to his side.

I followed suit and rushed to the side of the quickly dying king as his blood pooled into his fancy carpeting. The beads that had been wrapped around the sword slipped off the blade and now lie in the growing stain of red from the wolf’s fatal wound.

“I-I don’t understand,” Carter confusedly mumbled as he looked into his father’s dying eyes. It truly was remarkable how similar the two looked.

“The souls of the damned consume me…” Skuli panted with his dying breaths as his hand gripped tightly to Carter’s arm. Skuli shut his eyes tight and groaned, a faint glow surfacing from the beads lying on his chest.

“What?” Carter demanded as the beads seemingly soaked the blood from the wound and changed from a creamy white to a sickening mix of red and black. My jaw hung open at the impossible sight as I tried to piece together what in the gods’ names was happening.

“The souls of the damned consume me!” Skuli screeched at an agonizing pitch, his eyes shooting open as he dug his claws powerfully into Carter’s arm. Carter yelped from the sudden pain, ripping his arm back from him as Skuli screamed out once more in a cry of immeasurable suffering.

Skuli’s eyes rolled back as he screamed, streaks of black and red lines rippling across his body as the blooded beads seared themselves into his flesh. I stepped back, horrified as Skuli’s muzzle extended out and his teeth burst from his changing form. The lines continued to spiral across his body at a terrifying rate, the sound of his bones shifting and snapping within his growing form sounding throughout the room.

I quickly formed a circuit of electricity in my hand and sent the bolts shooting from fingertips towards the monster. The blast was deflected by a barrier of energy that surrounded Skuli during his transformation and my hands shook in fear as I watched the once normal wolf hunch over his hulking body in an animalistic conversion to what could only some sort of demonic being.

A growling squeal came from the disfigured Skuli as the vertebrae from his spine ripped through his newly patterned flesh and formed a ghastly row of spikes. My heart racing, I sent a stream of flames from my hands to the beast, but it glanced off ineffectively.

The beast screamed again as the bone from its massive paws tore through the flesh of his hands and formed a new bloody set of bone claws. Running out of options, I formed dagger like shards of ice and sent them flying towards the demonic being, but the glowing dark red aura building around him quickly melted the ice into harmless water.

The hideous beast once known as Skuli yelled out at an ear piercing volume as its muscles bulked larger than what living creature should ever have on it. I heard gagging and heaving from behind me as the beast finished its transformation. I looked back to see a clearly shaken Vera stepping back away towards the door. Carter shook violently as he tried not to vomit at the wretched sight before us.

I whipped my body around towards the door and bolted as fast as I could out of the entrance.

“Get the hell out of here!” I commanded as I charged by, the pair eagerly leaving behind their death sentence at the hands of the monster.

We burst out of the doors and frantically spilled into the corridor, startling the guards we had set up just minutes ago.

“What’s happen-” one of the guards started to shout out behind us, but was interrupted by the explosive sound of the beast tearing through the bricks of the wall.

“Holy [censored]! What the hell is this thing!” the other guard yelled before I made the mistake of looking back at the horrible scene. Skuli’s grotesque form was hunched over a soldier, ripping him apart with animalistic fury as the other guard backed into a corner with pure terror.

I quickly hurled a pair of conjured flame discs over to the beast to grab his attention. The blasts staggered him off of the soldier’s corpse, but only for him to let out a blood curdling cry and race on all fours towards us.

My chest heaved with the effort of the sprint, my aching limbs burning worse than any flames I could conjure up. The beast just a few paces behind us, we rounded the corner of the archers post. I sprinted down the pathway away from the rest of the soldiers, wanting to keep any more from dying.

“Sayyaf!” I heard Vera’s young voice cry out as I whipped my head behind me, my heart immediately sinking as I saw Vera and Carter running in the opposite direction, the beast hot on their tail.

“God… Damnit…!” I panted heavily as my spent body struggled to run back to endangered soldiers.

Though Carter and Vera were much more agile than I was, they didn’t stand a chance escaping from Skuli’s new form. Carter had hastily laid down a trapping rune, but the creature charged straight through it and swept Carter right off his feet.

“No you don’t!” I shouted, launching a powerful fireball into the beast’s back. It stumbled forward and let out an enraged howl, slamming Carter’s body into the stone floor before charging after me. He curled up into a fetal position as Vera rushed to his side, leaving me with a beast hurdling straight towards me.

I stared it down as my chest heaved with exhaustion, standing my ground until the perfect moment. Just as the behemoth lunged forwards for a swipe at my drained body, I darted to the side. Skuli’s momentum caused him to stumble and fall into the cold stone of the walkway, giving me the perfect opportunity to strike.

A thick stream of intense flames burst from my hands as I bore the heat down onto Skuli’s back, the beast letting out a cry of immense pain as I seared off the fur he had left on his body. The giant brute suddenly charged through my fire streams and swiped his bony claws down towards me. I hadn’t expected anything to make it through such a scorching, and the attack surprised me so much that I didn’t have time to fully dodge the swipe.

I saw the claws dig into my chest before I felt it, since the adrenaline in my body was pumping at full power. The blow knocked me off me feet, sending me into the ground with a huff and cutting off my fire spell. I quickly wrapped an arm around my chest and hopped back to my feet, concealing the sharp pain of the wound behind the urgency of finishing off the beast.

Even though Skuli had been able to break through my spell to hit me, it hadn’t come without a price. His entire front and back side were terribly charred, and his beastly form stumbled around blindly with rage, swiping wildly around it. The walkway smelled strongly of his cooked flesh, and I couldn’t help but smile as I watched the mighty beast fruitlessly trying to attack me.

A orb of fire swirled around my palm, ready to launch for a final blow. I reeled back my arm to release the spell, and I sent the orb hurling towards the crippled beast. Though I expected a bigger fireball when I shot off the blast, it did set him off balance as he fell to the ground. With my arm still gripping at my chest, I quickly tried to summon another spell in my hand to finish this once and for all.

“What the…?” I gasped as I looked at the dull spark in my hand. There was no way I could be out of mana crystals already! I made sure to keep an abundance of them across my…

I looked down to my chest in horror as I realised what had happened. Moving my hand away from the wound on my torso, it became clear through the deep gashes on my chest that Skuli had completely torn off the mana crystals I kept secured around my body. I looked up to see them in a pile of string and unused power as the singed beast rushed towards me, my fire spell giving away where I was at.

I heavily swallowed the frozen air of the mountains as I stumbled weakly away from the attacking beast. I closed my eyes with pain as the wound on my chest started to pulse with the loss of my adrenaline. Skuli clumsily rushed by me as I leaned against a wall, unable to make it my only hope at succeeding. When the beast realized he had missed, it lifted its muzzle in the air and sniffed dutifully.

“[censored]!” I gasped aloud, realizing how easily I’d be traced by my bleeding. Just as I suspected, Skuli fumbled towards me with an infuriated growl as I closed my eyes with focus. There was only one option left.

The world around me melted into a shapeless and silent abyss as I placed my arms straight out in front of me. I planted myself solidly into the ground, my body trembling as I summoned all the strength left in my ravaged limbs. My teeth gritted so hard together, I thought I would crush them before I could summon my final spell.

I felt a surge of immense power and energy flow through me as my eyes shot open. Skuli was no more than a foot away, and he was about to deeply regret being that close to me.

I shrieked at the top of my lungs, an ear piercing cry shattering through the icy air as I stream of sickly black and blinding white slashed out of my hands and into the demon that stood before me. The streams of pure energy poured channeled through my arms and cleaved right into Skuli’s chest, a cry of eternal suffering raising from his now bloodied muzzle.

I watched the mighty beast’s body tear away and disintegrate into the beam of power as the flesh on my arms tore away into nothingness, shriveling into disgusting black stubs as I drained every last drop of my life force into my black magic attack. Tears streamed from my eyes as I cried out in such pure and intense agony, the crippling pain of the attack surging through every nerve that was left in my body. My eyes shut tight as I looked down to my gnarled and twisted body, the final drop of my life wasted away, the white of my lifeforce expending away seared into my eyes.

<><><><><><>
“Hey…”

A gentle voice sounded off in the sensationless darkness, tickling the fur on my ears as I struggled to think.

“Hey!” the voice cried out more powerfully, bringing some more of my senses to life. I felt warm sunlight and a gentle breeze blow over my body, my thoughts and body slowly merging together once more.

“Wake up, sleepyhead!” the familiar voice called out, causing me to blink my eyes open with confusion.

My eyes were greeted with a canopy of trees, midday sunlight streaming through the branches as the crisp, fresh air filled my lungs. My thoughts were cloudy and disconnected, strange memories flowing through my mind as I tried to remember what in the world was going on.

Before I could construct any solid thoughts however, a heavy body fell onto my chest, knocking the wind out of me as I looked down to see a bright, big pair of blue eyes staring into mine.

“Andrina?” I drowsily questioned, propping myself into a sitting position against the tree I’d been napping on. Her beautiful golden fur shimmered in the sunlight as she smiled at me, her tail wagging steadily.

“Heh, I knew I’d find you napping here, Sayyaf,” she wittily commented, gently patting my cheek as she rolled off of my chest and sprawled out beside me.

“Gotta say, you’ve got quite an eye for these kind of places,” she complimented, looking up to the streams of sunlight that lit up the brown ground beneath our bodies.

“Have any dreams while you were being a lazy bum out here?” she teased with a smirk.

“Well…” I thought deeply, unable to remember what had been happening just moments ago.

“I think I died?” I sighed scratching my head as I desperately tried to remember.

“Heh, that would explain a few things! It took me ages to actually wake you up!” she laughed, resting her hands on her stomach. We sat in silence a few moments before I spoke.

“Andrina… Am I dead?”

Her stayed locked onto the warm canopy above us before she shut them and let a knowing smile draw across her lips.

“You arm looks better,” she happily replied, dodging my question as she lightly patted my chest and made me blush.

“Well I, uh… Something was wrong with my arm?” I thought for a moment, unfamiliar with what she was talking about.

Andrina snuggled under my arm and set my heart racing as she wrapped it around her smile and let out a satisfied sigh.

“It’s good to have you back to normal Sayyaf, I couldn’t stand watching you like you were.”

“Like I was…?” I questioned, a bit worried that I’d been roped into drinking with some friends and ended up passed out here.

Andrina chuckled lightly and nuzzled into my arm as my face flushed with nervousness and affection.

“A different life, Sayyaf.”

I thought for a moment and frowned as I looked down on at my body clothed in school issued robes, cloudy memories of friends and loved ones from my other life floating around in my thoughts.

“So I am dead…” I sadly sighed, closing my eyes.

“You were a hero,” she said as she looked her bright eyes into mine with compassion.

“A hero?” I echoed with disbelief. She flashed a mysterious smile, tilting her head sideways as her eyes hooded with playful scrutiny.

“I always knew you’d be my knight in shining armor,” she commented playfully, teasing me with a nudge to the shoulder.

“Hmph, I’m not sure I was that good of a knight if I died,” I smirked, crossing my arms as she laughed.

“Touché,” she replied through a giggle, scooting closer to me.

I watched as Andrina crossed her leg over mine and gave me a flirtatious smile, sending me into a blushing mess.

“Uh… Your leg…” I commented weakly, trying my hardest not to look at her but failing miserably as our eyes locked and she flashed me a glowing look of happiness.

“I know. I like it there,” she teased with a smile, resting her head on my shoulder as we lay together.

“I- uh…” I stammered awkwardly, trying to distract myself from warmth of her body against mine as she closed her eyes and sighed with contentment.

“I met some of your friends from down there,” she smiled, brushing her hand lazily through my hair as I blushed with a grimacing smile.

“Y-you did?” I asked with an unsteady voice.

“Uh huh! I like them, they’re quite an odd bunch.” She smiled and added, “Not as weird as you though,” before setting back to massaging my scalp with her nimble hands.

I let out a sigh of joy and peace as I timidly let my fingers brush through the lush golden hair that sprawled across my shoulder.

“I’ve missed you.”

I felt the warm breath of her whisper rush over chest as she spoke, and I looked to see tears flowing down her cheeks. Her tears jerked at my heart as I lifted her up with me and hugged her tight.

“I’m here now, and that’s all that matters,” I whispered back into her ear, her hands gripping into my back as she huddled her head into my neck.

After a few tender moments of hugging, we released each other as she wiped away her tears and gave a joyous giggle.

“I love you too, Sayyaf,” she announced with a gentle kiss on my cheek, shocking me as I fell on the ground and struggled to speak with my heart nearly beating out of my throat.

“You? I- d-didn’t… b-but?” I stammered as my stomach flipped and tied itself into knots, Andrina laughing sweeter than the daylight on the horizon.

“I heard you say it down there silly, and I wanted to make sure you knew I felt the same,” she happily replied as she stuck her hand out to help me up.

“Now you better get off your butt, foxy boy, because we’ve got a lifetime of missing each other to catch up on…” she trailed off with a wink, sending my organs into shock as I latched onto her hand and let her guide me into the white glow at the edge of the forest.

------------------------------------

(But wait, there's more! What? We can't just end the book with Sayyaf meeting his dead wife in a heaven-like realm! We have to have an epilogue! Don't you want to see what happens after this? No? Oh, okay...)

cj3003
Apprentice

Re: The Dividing War [THE FINAL CHAPTER IS HERE!!!]

#21 Post by cj3003 »

What would you guys say to a preview of the next book?

...Well, when we get around to writing it. We have concepts EXTREMELY mapped out, we just have to write it.

FrogSteaks
Grand Templar

#22 Post by FrogSteaks »

Agh! I knew it! I knew that was gonna happen! Damn. It was in the back of my mind since you replied to my previous post. Not to sound judgmental or anything, but I would have much rather preferred if that was put behind a spoiler bar. Meh, oh well. No biggie. :)
Holy crap, that ending was awesome, but it didn't really say what happened to Vera or Carter. Or any of the others in the group for that matter. Either way, it was an awesome read. Nice job...and I'm not crying, It's just uhh... springtime allergies. Yeah, that's it. (;_;)
Oh, and uh... Epilogue? Yes please. Next book? Yes please.
Now if you'll excuse me, I need to pick up the pieces of my mind that were blown after reading that chapter. :potatoes:

cj3003
Apprentice

#23 Post by cj3003 »

FrogSteaks wrote:Holy crap, that ending was awesome, but it didn't really say what happened to Vera or Carter. Or any of the others in the group for that matter.
Heh, all will be explained in the epilogue, don't worry :)
FrogSteaks wrote:Either way, it was an awesome read. Nice job...
Thank you! We worked hard on this book. Where's the sequel when you need it...
FrogSteaks wrote:and I'm not crying
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZGes7FDmHAM
FrogSteaks wrote:Oh, and uh... Epilogue? Yes please. Next book? Yes please.
Now if you'll excuse me, I need to pick up the pieces of my mind that were blown after reading that chapter. :potatoes
Oh, I promise you will get everything you ask for (well, maybe not your brains, that's on you lol)

cj3003
Apprentice

#24 Post by cj3003 »

Now I know how I said it was the end like 15 times. Well, I couldn't just leave off with
Spoiler!
's death, now could I? So, I thought you deserved an epilogue. It's just one more cheerful moment for the end.

~Zander~

Scrambled guests stirred around the inn as I solemnly sipped on what should’ve been my last glass of mead three glasses ago. I let the dry honey flavor swirl around in my mouth a bit before reluctantly swallowing it and plopping my head down on the bar. The local band cheerily played off in the corner as the many of the generals and leaders of the rebellion danced and cheered in revelry of their victories.

I dug my head further into my arms, wishing I hadn’t drank so much. I dozed off a bit in the bar stool before shrugging myself awake and blinking heavily as I tried to regain some sensibility. I rubbed my eyes and sighed as the band switched their bouncy tune of triumph to a slower and more romanticized tune.

My eyes drifted over to the numerous couples dancing together on the floor, and I gave a drowsy smile as I saw Carter and Vera awkwardly holding each other as they stepped in time to a delicate dance of first love. I leaned back onto the bar with my eyes closed and let out a sigh as I inhaled the sweet and lofty scent of the party.

I felt a body plop into the stool beside me as I opened my eyes and glanced at the odd Basitin. After a few seconds of scrutinising the forward staring figure, I slapped my forehead with recognition and felt like an idiot.

“Liviana!” I called out with a bit more power than I’d intended. Her pale violet eyes turned towards me with surprise before switching to a gentle smile.

“Hello, Zander,” she replied, reaching back and untying her ponytail as she shook her wild hair loose from its constraints. “I didn’t hear you there.”

I gave a dazed giggle and repositioned myself back onto the bar counter. Seeing Liviana without her doctor’s uniform and in a casual red shirt and slacks with her hair down was extremely odd, yet satisfying to see her relaxed for once.

“Sorry I didn’t talk to you sooner, I almost didn’t recognize you!” I announced, downing another gulp of the sweet mead as my words slurred together.

“Are you implying I don’t know how to have a good time?” she questioned with a teasing smile as I chuckled once more and set my drink sloppily back on the counter.

“Nah, it’s just weird seeing you like this… I don’t think I’ve ever seen your eyes before now you know,” I mentioned as she blushed a bit and turned away.

“Does… it look bad?” she questioned nervously as I patted her back and stifled a hearty laugh.

“Not at all! Its just a change, and changes can be plenty good,” I complimented as she turned and grabbed a bottle of ale from the iced bucket on the counter.

I pleasantly sighed and looked out to the slow dancing couples and lonely fellows returning to the energetic dancing and cheering of before as the band switched their musical style once more.

“Say, where’s Caine?” I questioned when I noticed a distinct lack of the affectionate and cheery keidran.

Liviana smiled deviously as drank from her bottle of ale.

“Caine isn’t very keen on handling alcohol… I let him loose in the dancing crowd, and I’d imagine he’s having the time of his life right now.”

I looked out to the floor and saw a giddy and extremely drunken Caine flailing his limbs in an attempt to dance as a small group circled around him and clapped and cheered. I shook my head and laughed, reaching for another sip of my mead.

“You’re gonna let him keep making a fool of himself out there?” I asked as Liviana smiled and leaned back to cross her arms.

“If he’s having a good time, then I won’t be the one to stop him,” she happily replied before releasing a loving sigh and bashfully running her tail through her hands.

“Besides, he’s my fool… And I’d be happy if that never changed,” she hopefully whispered out into the warm air of the tavern as Caine came up to Carter and Vera to give them an emotional hug, crying relentlessly into Carter’s shoulder.

“I have a feeling you two will be together for a long time,” I said with a gentle smile as Carter stood stiff with Vera giggling at him, and Caine wailing away on him in a drunken sorrow.

We sat in a relaxed silence a while, watching the ever shifting scenes of life play out before us. I watched in a haze as people danced in joyful ecstasy, and others sat quietly at a table mourning for the lost. Life and death swirled about endlessly in the same room, a strange and unsettling mix of every step of life playing their part out all at once.

I was definitely feeling the effects of the alcohol as I laid loose on the bar stool, contemplating just what life was supposed to mean for me now. I closed my eyes and reflected on the horrors and glories of war that had brought me to where I am now.

In my drunken stupor, I thought of my sister. A lump formed in my throat as her frozen face of shock burned fresh in my mind. I never thought that death could claim someone like Amelia, her soul burning with the very passion of life. But no, death has no restraints on who it claims to be his own. The fact that her full and elaborate life was ended in but a moment was unbelievable, and her stolen life bitterly swirled around in my head.

I didn’t even get to see Sayyaf before he died… The last time I’d seen him was the night at the inn. There was no lack of mystical tales about his battle with Skuli however, and I had some consolation knowing that the old fool had died a hero.

“He would’ve killed to be at this party though…” I thought sadly as I downed another huge gulp of my mead, trying to work away the pounding lump in my throat.

“Hey, are you okay, Zander?” Carter asked with concern as I opened my eyes to see him standing in front of me. I hastily wiped away the tears that had been streaming unnoticed down my cheeks and swallowed hard as I tried to speak through my choking despair.

“I uh… Y-yeah, I’m… I’m okay,” I lied as I steadied my breathing and looked to the others around me. Liviana patted my back comfortingly as Carter and Vera shared a hug around my crippled body. I sniffled and returned the kind gesture, leaning back onto the counter as we broke.

“Zander, I’m going to make sure that the precious sacrifices that were made in the war won’t be wasted,” Vera announced as I wiped at my watery eyes and coughed.

“We won’t let Skuli defile the pride and honor of the snow wolves,” Carter declared proudly in his practiced but still odd sounding human tongue. “I’m going to guarantee that.”

I smiled at the new leaders of the snow wolves and bowed my head in respect to them.

“Don’t fail me now you two! I don’t want to have to paralyze my arms as well to bring in another set of leaders!” I lightly teased, everyone giving a soft laugh as I lightened the mood a bit.

“We’ll do everything we can,” Vera assured me as they went off together back into the shifting crowd of merriment. I gingerly exhaled and took a heavy drink of my mead, finishing off the glass.

“Ugh…” I moaned before being suddenly bombarded with a sloppy hug that nearly sent me flying from my stool.

“What the-?!” I exclaimed as I looked down to see a sobbing and emotional Caine gripping me into a tight hug as he cried into my chest.

I couldn’t help but laugh as I tried to push the clingy and desperately drunk keidran off of me, his sobs and moans of sadness ringing out as he struggled to keep me in the hug.

“Noooo… I love you, Zaaaaander… I need to tell all my friends that I loves themmm… So they can’t died without knowing that I loves themmm…” he cried out as his body fell heavily off of mine and onto the floor, where he inevitably passed out.

Liviana took a quick sip of her ale before setting it down and shifting off her bar stool to tend to the unconscious Caine. I stretched out and grinned as I watched Liviana lovingly ruffle Caine’s fur on the top of his head before gently laying him down on his side. His tail wagged lazily as a drowsy grin spread across his tired face.

“Well, I figure I should probably get heading out before I drink myself to death," I remarked before swinging off of my bar stool. As my limp legs made contact with the floor, I tumbled to the ground and got a painful reminder that I no longer had use of those unfortunate limbs. Liviana quickly turned her attention to me and began frantically running her hands over me to check on my status.

"Zander! Are you okay?" she asked in a worried tone. I sat up and brushed myself off, huffing in frustration.

"I'm not dead if that's what you're asking, but I've certainly been better," I snarkily replied as Liviana helped lift me up into my wheeled cart-chair contraption I resorted to for movement.

Liviana chuckled and set me up in my chair as I crossed my arms in an embarrassed huff.

“Thanks for the help,” I mumbled gratefully, turning my chair over towards the door. “I should be getting home though.”

Liviana cocked her head and gave a worried frown as she grabbed her cane and tapped her way up beside me.

“All alone? You should wait around for the others, Zander. We can take a carriage together so that everyone can get a chance to say farewell.”

I contemplated the offer in the bustling beat of the tavern, letting the smell of fresh meals and well tended alcohol sink into my senses as I glanced around at my friends. Carter and Vera sat talking together at a table as Vera comforted the saddened looking Carter. Caine laid sprawled out under the bar stools, indefinitely unconscious. And lastly I looked up to Liviana, who stood next to me with a caring smile played across her mouth as she waited patiently for a response.

“Well…” I started, easily weighing in favor for the warmth of the inn against the cold of the lonely night.

“Hey, I’ll even pay for the fare if you stay!” she interjected as I wheeled away from exit and laughed heartily.

“I was going to say yes, but now it looks like you’ll be paying the coachmen now!” I triumphantly declared.

“Oh, I only meant that… Well of course I’ll still pay, but I-… I just thought that…” Liviana stuttered after me before accepting her fate and returning to the bar with her head hung in defeat.

“There’s certainly no lack of fools here tonight,” I commented after a bit as I watched even the most burly of generals letting loose with dancing and jeering.

Liviana’s ears twitched slightly as she listened in on the swirling sounds of the tavern and perked her lips into a smirk.

“In the end, I think we’re all fools of a different kind.” Liviana took a soft sip from her ale before continuing. “But fools none the less.“

I nodded in agreement as I watched the flames of the fireplace dance around the surrounding hearth, warming the inviting atmosphere of the lively building.

“May we all be fools together then!” I declared, reaching up and grabbing a bottle of ale and clanging it to Liviana’s as she moved her nearly emptied bottle in for cheers.

“To the greatest fools who ever lived! Fools together!” she proudly announced into the overwhelming noise of the tavern, drawing a few idle glances.

“Fools together…” I repeated softly as I dropped the unopened ale next to Caine’s drunken body and shifted to make myself comfortable in my wheeled chair.

As all the muscles in my body loosened and my eyelids fell heavily with exhaustion, I thought about what the future would hold for all of us. What could a tiny band of misfits like us do after a stunt like this? Would we move on with our separate lives?

I felt Liviana carefully place my beloved lute on my chest as I smiled and hugged it softly. I decided in that moment that I didn’t care what happened in the future, because we were all together now.

And I’ve learned through all the joy and pain of my adventures that even during the hardest trials of life, those who love you will always help make things better.

-----------------

Here are my final statements: Thank you guys so much for reading! You don't even know who much it means to Austin and I for all of your endless support just by reading it! We would love to here what you have to say about our book! So much work and so many hours have been pumped into this full-length book, and we just appreciate you.

Here's to the end of the book!

Of course, if you don't want the adventure to end, pick off where you left off! The sequel is out and about, and its waiting for you! So, go ahead! Check it out here (just click me)!

Bellhead
Templar Inner Circle
Fav. Twokinds Character: Keith and Natani

Re: The Dividing War [The Final Chapter is here + Epilogue!]

#25 Post by Bellhead »

Great read, I look forward to seeing the second book.

Also, I definately think that the interactions between Caine and Liviana are a necessary plot point. It provides a light in a story that otherwise has a lot of death and suffering among the main characters during the rising action and climax of the plot.

You and you brother did an amazing job with this, I really liked it.
Gearhead mechanic in the digital era, who will probably grow up is in the process of growing up to be a very grumpy old man.

cj3003
Apprentice

#26 Post by cj3003 »

Bellhead wrote:Great read, I look forward to seeing the second book.

Also, I definately think that the interactions between Caine and Liviana are a necessary plot point. It provides a light in a story that otherwise has a lot of death and suffering among the main characters during the rising action and climax of the plot.

You and you brother did an amazing job with this, I really liked it.
Thank you, Bellhead! I'm glad you enjoyed the book! It's sad to see it come to an end, but I know that the next book will (probably) top this one. I agree with you on Caine and Liviana, I was just being ignorant and realize it brought some good to the table. Austin and I just thought it clogged up the middle of the book and slowed the action, but it seems people liked it.

InceptionBwaaa
Grand Templar

#27 Post by InceptionBwaaa »

I'll be honest, I haven't read more than a few sentences here and there. But the past sentence of the last chapter? That made me want to read the rest of it. And that's what I'll be doing this weekend. I'll let you know how much I like it when I finish.
Certified Jojo fan
"She's a keeper!" ~Firekeeper
Stardust Crusaders banner coming soon.
Zelda x Palutena is the one true ship.

cj3003
Apprentice

#28 Post by cj3003 »

InceptionBwaaa wrote:I'll be honest, I haven't read more than a few sentences here and there. But the past sentence of the last chapter? That made me want to read the rest of it. And that's what I'll be doing this weekend. I'll let you know how much I like it when I finish.
Thank you for the (future) read! And yes, I'd love to hear your thoughts about it. I'd also like to know your favorite character when you are done (because I have to ask everyone :mrgreen: )

Jed255
Traveler

Re: The Dividing War [Complete; Sequel is out and posted!]

#29 Post by Jed255 »

Hello everybody! Sorry to be tacking onto the end of my brother's posts about the book, but I've finally gotten around to making my profile and wanted to open myself up for questions and comments as well! :grin:

So, with that announcement out of the way, I just wanted to say a huge thank you to all those who have read out book! THANK YOU!!!

Jacob and I never expected to get this popular, so seeing all the love and interest that our book has gotten is extremely encouraging! So thank you all again, and I can't wait to interact directly with our readers. |D
Co-developer of The Dividing War Series, and the art slave who works in the cellar. Living the dream.
[The Dividing War - Forum Edition]

cj3003
Apprentice

Re: The Dividing War [Complete; Sequel is out and posted!]

#30 Post by cj3003 »

Jed255 wrote:Jacob and I never expected to get this popular
*looks at TwoKinds: War of Deikli* 1,800 views.
*looks at Human & Lupusad - Of Men and Wolves* 3,500 views
*looks at The Adoptive Father: * 3,700 views
*looks at The Bleak Streets of Twokinds* 25,000 views

*looks at our book* 560 views. "Popular" isn't the word I'd describe it as XD