Entertaining Possibilities (and sequels!) - Twokinds Smuts - [NSFW] (COMPLETE)

Post all your stories, poems, and haiku's here!

Moderator: Moderators

Favorite story? (re-voting open)

Entertaining Possibilities
No votes
Two of a Kind
33%
Full House
33%
Dead of Night
No votes
Castling
No votes
Fool's Mate
33%
About That Apron
No votes
Adult Humor
No votes
The Day Before Her Birthday
No votes

Total votes: 3

Schrodinger
Worth 1000 Words

Re: Entertaining Possibilities (and sequels!) - Twokinds Smuts - [NSFW] (COMPLETE)

#61 Post by Schrodinger »

I entitle this collection Of Politics and Polyamory.
What was it the spider said to the fly...

funnyman42

Re: Entertaining Possibilities (and sequels!) - Twokinds Smuts - [NSFW] (COMPLETE)

#62 Post by funnyman42 »

It's so sad to see this end. loved every word, and I hope there will be more to come someday.

amenon
Grand Templar

#63 Post by amenon »

Since the poll was now outdated, I replaced it with with a 'favorite story' one. Here's the results for the old poll.

TheMouse wrote: Thu Dec 28, 2017 6:31 am Take a bow, take a drink, take a break, and start thinking of the next project. Because there's always a next project.
Check, check, check. And -- sigh -- check.

Dadrobit wrote: Thu Dec 28, 2017 10:27 am Need to pick it back up. I stopped reading at where I messaged you last in Going Far and haven't put in the time yet to finish from there. I really need to do that...
Ah, sorry for the call-out, then! And clearly you need more smut-reading subsidies :P

Schrodinger wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2018 9:55 am I entitle this collection Of Politics and Polyamory.
Ha! That goes great with the scientific title of the first story -- The social and sexual behaviors of a happy Keith

funnyman42 wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2018 4:17 am It's so sad to see this end. loved every word, and I hope there will be more to come someday.
Thank you very much.

-------

And now, if you'll permit me a bit of a blog, here's some thoughts on where I'm at and where I might be going from here, vis-a-vis Twokinds smut:

-------

So, this set of stories is now complete. I started out writing one piece of Twokinds smut, and -- 33 months later -- ended up with nine stories, under five different covers, totaling something in the vicinity of 150k words.

Just as planned, and all that.

So, what's next for me? Truthfully, I don't entirely know, and I don't entirely want to know. Committing to another project is the last thing I want to do right now. Indeed, the first thing I will be doing is clearing out those parts of my to-do list that have nothing (or little) to do with writing Twokinds smut. There are some things that I've had on hold for longer than is entirely comfortable, and it's partly because I've been working on all of this. (And hoo-boy, was this a lot of work!)

After my to-do list is suitably clear, I think I'll take a break. Have a period of time where there really isn't anything I should be doing. (Except, you know, my actual job and those sorts of things. But that's harmless enough as long as my free time is actually free.)

And after I've been on break for a while... well, if I know myself, my mind is going to turn back to doing things.

Now, what I end up doing may turn out to be something I don't even have an inkling of yet. Perhaps between now and then, I'll come up with some entirely new project. But if that doesn't happen, well, there are a few things that I could very well see myself doing...

First of all, the thing about these stories is that even though they are complete, they aren't necessarily final. I have a bunch of edit notes for Entertaining Possibilities and (Knot) Too Late, from when I did a read-through for the purposes of finishing Going Far. And indeed, even Going Far has some typos and such that I'm aware of. So I might be making one final edit over all of it; a third edition of Entertaining Possibilities, a second edition of (Knot) Too Late, and -- at least based on current knowledge -- a minor second-printing type of refresh for Going Far. The intention, as ever, is not to change the stories out from under people, but to improve readability, since I know there's still some pretty serious clunk in there. (Though, Full House in specific has some very real structural issues, and it's possible some more drastic measures might be necessary. I'm not sure how to handle that one yet. But the issues have more to do with pacing than content, so hopefully I can figure something out that doesn't break anything.)

Would doing that be worth it? Yeah, it would be. It wouldn't really matter to anyone who's already read the stories, and it probably wouldn't matter to anyone who's already decided not to read them. (Though, you never know. Seeing a shiny red '3rd edition' sticker? Everything's a chance, and chances have a way of adding up.) But where it would matter is all those people who haven't seen my writing yet, who eventually will. People who might not even have found Twokinds yet. Heck, people who might not even have been born yet. (And if you're reading this for the first time in 2036? Shoot me a line. We can speculate together about what Flora's baby is going to look like.)

That last one might be a little extreme, but the point is, this stuff is going to be around for a long time. I started on this in the first place because in 2015, I read something that avwolf had written in 2008. As long as Twokinds itself remains relevant, Twokinds smut is going to remain relevant. And this set of stories... it's the real deal, for me. It's what I want to leave behind, for the people who are interested in such things. And for the people who aren't, but check it out anyway and end up being surprised. Because those are some of the best people to get.

I'm not going to keep obsessively editing these for the rest of my life. But the simple fact of it is that -- as already happened earlier, and why there is a second edition of Entertaining Possibilities -- writing more has improved my writing, and time and distance have made it easier for me to see the flaws that are there. There's always a limit to the credit I can take for these stories, because in the end, if I'm doing things right, all I'm doing is making good use of Tom's characters -- but the flaws, well, those are all on me. And I'd like to get rid of as many as I reasonably can. There's already more than enough hurdles in my stories, both by accident and by design. Uneven writing quality doesn't need to be one.

And so, essentially all of these stories are still open for one final edit. If you can remember places that felt off, or where you had to reread a paragraph multiple times to figure out what was being said, or maybe never actually did figure it out -- it would help me if you got in touch, and let me know.

Second of all, there's the matter of A Harder Road. It isn't as near and dear to my heart as Entertaining Possibilities is, for a variety of reasons. Many of those are just matters of personal sentimentality, but the story does also in some ways go against my own best judgement on how I should approach writing Twokinds smut. That is to say, in order to make AHR distinct enough from EP, I had to also make it, in my own opinion, worse. Or to put it another way, I had already used my best idea.

But I definitely don't think AHR is without merit, and in many ways it's a huge amount of fun. It's also in an inherently more accessible format, and probably appeals to an overlapping-but-slightly-different audience. Having a bunch of shorter chapters also means that I get to make a big number of releases, and each of those is a new opportunity for people to find my stuff.

So in addition to being a story worth telling in its own right, it's also potentially a path that leads people to EP.

A gateway smut, if you will.

So I haven't forgotten it, and I do want to continue it. But in my list of priorities, that would probably come after I've closed the book on Entertaining Possibilities for good.

I make no promises, and I give no dates for anything, but I will say that certainly you shouldn't expect anything from me soon. I do need that break.

And that's where I'm at, at the beginning of 2018.
]]> Twokinds search (search the comic based on art or text!)

My most recent Twokinds smutfics, newest to oldest [NSFW]: